Special Challenge Event Preview - 'Ultimate Challenge' Event

Comments

• DrunkenDrunken Member Posts: 1,726

A massive step in the right direction NG so respect to you guys for listening to the gripes!!.....only thing I would tweak with the new Challenge set up is to drop the 4 levels on 30 and above to 2 levels.....this will keep star counts closer amongst high level players and players a bit behind them in strength.....for example a player who can reach level 32 will have a massive star difference over a player who maxes out on level 29.....we dont want to dishearten the up and coming big hitters! That said.....great job NG on giving us back some time to catch up with the jobs we should have done months ago!

I have an addicting personality so when I play games I go full steam. I have spent a little money on this game to get a specific weapon or gas, but the grind is extremely discouraging. At level 53 I am having to grind out supplies like crazy and need to be level 59 before council upgrade.

That being said Council upgrade is 6m then Armory and Training are 12m each. So 30m to upgrade for the next major level. At lets say average 50k supplies a run on scavenge, 3 minutes per run. That is 20 runs or so in a hour. 1m supplies in a hour of grinding it means I need to dedicate 30 hours just to level up to next level. That is overly insane for players who weren't maxed out prior to level 59-60..... Than to make matters worse need to do it again. for 21-22 then 22-23. Basically well over 100m supplies just to catch up to the heavy hitters. So unless I buy several full supply bundles I will never catch up.
  • Wr3ckWr3ck Member Posts: 18
    Please, please, please don’t make us go back to the old challenge format! I didn’t even bother playing the challenge last week because I don’t play on weekends and playing just Wed - Fri, I only get to play the boring, low level part of the challenge. I really love this challenge format that eliminates a lot of the tedious grind.
    8900rpm
  • OvergrowdaworldOvergrowdaworld Member Posts: 535
    Thanx @paintbeast !
    You’ve been a huge help to me since I started playing a few months ago.
    Really appreciate you in these forums!
  • CatnissCatniss Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 9
    I like the format of the challenge but along with round passes, this is yet another nerf in overall supply/XP gain that is just making the grind longer. If we are going to go from 9-18 chest per round to 6-12 chest per round, every chest has to be boosted. The same with round pass rounds, sure the stars are doubled but the number of chests we can open is halved. An entire round gone is 18-36 chests less to open. That is A LOT of food/supplies and potential chances at gear, gold, badge components lost.
  • David_H79David_H79 Member Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2017
    > @Catniss said:
    > I like the format of the challenge but along with round passes, this is yet another nerf in overall supply/XP gain that is just making the grind longer. If we are going to go from 9-18 chest per round to 6-12 chest per round, every chest has to be boosted. The same with round pass rounds, sure the stars are doubled but the number of chests we can open is halved. An entire round gone is 18-36 chests less to open. That is A LOT of food/supplies and potential chances at gear, gold, badge components lost.

But you don’t use the gas for the less played rounds and you can use it in other mission types or replay one challenge round.
    So 0 loss in after mission crates.
    crambert_necJaden

@Garrison64 But now you literally have hundreds of more gas to use in other game modes to make up for these "lost" resources in larger amounts than you would in the challenges anyway. How can you be blind to this big positive?

How can you call that a reduction of grind if you just have to grind elsewhere which the 'saved' gas?

ADPaqpirate11251Ris
    David_H79 said:

> @Catniss said:

> I like the format of the challenge but along with round passes, this is yet another nerf in overall supply/XP gain that is just making the grind longer. If we are going to go from 9-18 chest per round to 6-12 chest per round, every chest has to be boosted. The same with round pass rounds, sure the stars are doubled but the number of chests we can open is halved. An entire round gone is 18-36 chests less to open. That is A LOT of food/supplies and potential chances at gear, gold, badge components lost.

But you don’t use the gas for the less played rounds and you can use it in other mission types or replay one challenge round.

So 0 loss in after mission crates.

So the alleged reduction in grind isn't a reduction in grind at all, its just a weak attempt to get us to play even more boring (and higher gas cost!) scavenge missions?!?
    ADPaq
    @Catniss
    Catniss said:

@Garrison64 But now you literally have hundreds of more gas to use in other game modes to make up for these "lost" resources in larger amounts than you would in the challenges anyway. How can you be blind to this big positive?

How can you call that a reduction of grind if you just have to grind elsewhere which the 'saved' gas?

@Catniss

So besides the lost supplies/xp you are losing TG for me it is around 11k or rather 1 legendary item a week. But something they could do is instead of returning the Guild rewards to normal(double this week) they could instead turn it to 1.5x the old amount

That does not fix your issue of Supplies/XP but it would nerf mine a little. The major benefit here would be additional radios. IDK a single player who doesn't like more radios. So the trade off becomes maybe at max 300k or so Supplies/XP a week by "not grinding" but gaining an additional 40 radios and saving time.

Then if supplies or xp is that important to you, you can grind still and gain it in scavenge or as someone else said replaying the rounds.

Drunken said:

@Catniss
    @Catniss

So besides the lost supplies/xp you are losing TG for me it is around 11k or rather 1 legendary item a week. But something they could do is instead of returning the Guild rewards to normal(double this week) they could instead turn it to 1.5x the old amount

That does not fix your issue of Supplies/XP but it would nerf mine a little. The major benefit here would be additional radios. IDK a single player who doesn't like more radios. So the trade off becomes maybe at max 300k or so Supplies/XP a week by "not grinding" but gaining an additional 40 radios and saving time.

Then if supplies or xp is that important to you, you can grind still and gain it in scavenge or as someone else said replaying the rounds.

5 round passes = 30 stages missed = 90 chests missed (180 chests if you watch ads). That is a ton of missed chances at radios in chests too. I currently get around 5400 xp per regular plain old chest. That is close to 972,000 missed XP (if they were all regular chests and all dropped XP, which I know they don't).

• johnhal55johnhal55 Member Posts: 3
    Let's see. Basically you get less stars than before so less free stuff. It all comes down to spending more. I appreciate the new screens but my numbers dropped by about 250-300 stars. Bottom line,spend more to get more as always.
    crambert_necpaintbeastDukeIrony
    Catniss said:

Drunken said:

@Catniss
    @Catniss

5 round passes = 30 stages missed = 90 chests missed (180 chests if you watch ads). That is a ton of missed chances at radios in chests too. I currently get around 5400 xp per regular plain old chest. That is close to 972,000 missed XP (if they were all regular chests and all dropped XP, which I know they don't).

@Catniss

So your issue is the round passes? Is your issue with the new format of the challenge or the passes or both?

The round passes give you additional stars, which give you additional special star crates, and more guild rewards as the first 5 rounds are doubled.

That being said you are making bad use of the numbers. If you start at round 13 the rewards are less. So if you are getting 5 round passes you are on same level as me. That 5400xp is the reward for higher levels not level 13 start even with Governor bonus it still isn't 5400. I rarely see radios in crates and I am sure the new format @ a 1.5x multiplier would be more radios than 180 chests(again a bad number because you are limited on how many videos you can watch before you spend gold)

But if you are upset because of the lost chests then you can do scavenge missions to replace the lost XP and actually gain more. You claimed previously that isn't less grinding, but you are also complaining about the round passes/new format which is less grinding. You cant have more rewards with less grind.

For me still leveling I love the fact I can now turn towards scavenge quicker. I typically aim for 5 round passes which is right at 920 stars for me and then switch to scavenge anyways. When they have things like double xp or double supplies then I will get gas and grind the heck out of scavenge till I am maxed out.
    Mabiki said:

I just don't see the logic that you're losing crates. You can play any challenge level as many times as you want for more crates, but those who wish to advance now have the opportunity.

It absolutely reduces the grind of the challenge. If you want to repeat challenges or run scavenges with saved gas, you still can, but players who were burning out on 3 days of low level point and click can now actually enjoy the challenge. No one has lost anything.

@Mabiki

For me I am losing around 11k TG that is significant IMO. But the additional radios make me okay with it. Hints why I suggested 1.5x guild reward buff :)
  • pirate1125pirate1125 Member Posts: 349
    > @Catniss said:
    > @Garrison64 But now you literally have hundreds of more gas to use in other game modes to make up for these "lost" resources in larger amounts than you would in the challenges anyway. How can you be blind to this big positive?
    >
    > How can you call that a reduction of grind if you just have to grind elsewhere which the 'saved' gas?

Exactly, scavenge is only good if you are on gas boost at 6 each now.

And who wants to play the same map over for no stars?

And I thought there was legendary gear increase this challenge? I'm past 1000 and have yet to see anything legendary
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,421
    edited December 2017
    johnhal55 said:

Let's see. Basically you get less stars than before so less free stuff. It all comes down to spending more. I appreciate the new screens but my numbers dropped by about 250-300 stars. Bottom line,spend more to get more as always.

Mabiki said:

Rewards were scaled to the lower star totals, so you should be getting the same number of challenge and token crates.

I can't stress this point enough.... rewards were scaled so you get more earlier to compensate for the fact that you're earning less stars.

From the original announcement:

In this special event, you will find yourself hitting the higher difficulties sooner than ever. However, we’re adjusting the rewards to match the faster progress:

Round passes are earned for completing 3 rounds instead of 5.

The amount of stars needed to earn Personal and Guild Star rewards are all reduced.

To celebrate the event Token Crates will contain up to 50% more tokens and you'll find better chances of Legendary gear in Challenge and Deluxe Challenge crates!

Also, please see this thread: "Ultimate Challenge" event - DLich's assessment
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

crambert_necsbfTJSpaintbeast
  • Edd8Edd8 Member Posts: 135

> @Catniss said:

> @Garrison64 But now you literally have hundreds of more gas to use in other game modes to make up for these "lost" resources in larger amounts than you would in the challenges anyway. How can you be blind to this big positive?

>

> How can you call that a reduction of grind if you just have to grind elsewhere which the 'saved' gas?

Exactly, scavenge is only good if you are on gas boost at 6 each now.

And who wants to play the same map over for no stars?

And I thought there was legendary gear increase this challenge? I'm past 1000 and have yet to see anything legendary

Are you sure you got 1000 stars??
    crambert_necOvergrowdaworld
  • pirate1125pirate1125 Member Posts: 349
    Edd8TJS
  • FragzieFragzie Member Posts: 584
    So you get the challenge out of the way as soon as possible and then you can only play the other aspects of the game?
    TroublemakerGeir
    edited December 2017
    @crambert_nec I play the challenge. Beach Life for the gold. Nothing else the game has to offer.

Edit: Sorry, I do play the Season missions aswell. They don’t take much time up.
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,376
    @Fragzie Sorry? That kind of seems like it's a personal problem and not a flaw with this new format, no offense. I play challenges for the challenge, my guild, and for my rank and my guild's rank in the leaderboards. I play season missions because it's new content. I play outposts on off days from the challenge to bank large amounts of TG for gear and token purchases. I play Distance for the challenge and rewards. I play scavenge missions when I need those resources or on off days when I don't have enough time to sit and play outposts over and over. Every aspect of the game has it's place and I utilize them accordingly.
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD
    FragzieTheRealSavageDLich
    No personal problem @crambert_nec If you would like to expand on a personal problem that you believe I have please feel free to send me a pm.

I only play challenge and the season missions these days. I just play the aspects of the game that I enjoy playing. Each to their own.
    @Fragzie I'm sorry, that's not what I meant. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. I took it as you don't like the new challenge because it gives you more time to play other aspects of the game, but you don't play those other aspects. When I said "personal problem" I meant it as "your perception of the new challenge format being bad is just very specific to your play style and not the community as a whole." Maybe I'm way off here and I legitimately didn't mean to offend you. And I agree, to each their own. It's a game; have fun! I know I am with this event.
    Fragzie
    No probs @crambert_nec and no offence taken. It’s a game, have fun.
    crambert_nec

Instead of playing the same 6 maps over and over again at excruciatingly low levels, this opens things up to much more variety. And as others have pointed out, you can repeat any challenge map at any RSL as many times as you'd like after completing it if you're so dead set on getting all of your supplies and xp from challenges only. Go run some outpost missions for the only ACTUAL lost resource amount from this new format. You'll end up with more bang for your buck in TG.

EDIT: Also, when I (and everyone else) say it's a reduction in grind, it means it's a reduction in the challenge grind. The entirety of the game is a grind. It's how it works. You grind for different resources to upgrade different things and then every few months there's an update and you start the grind all over again. But the grind of the challenge was getting out of control and completely monotonous. This is a game and it should be fun, first and foremost. This breathes so much more life into the challenge mode of the game.

Okay, so I am currently almost as far as I can get in the challenge for the week, I am at the point one hit sends me straight to struggle and I can do one map every ~2 hrs because of healing times. How do I go back and repeat a level that is farmable? Or are you telling me I have to know before I press move on to the next round that I need to stop and repeat while hoping I have enough time/gas to actually push myself to my limit later on?

I am not saying the TG crates are down, I am talking about the 9 end of mission boxes you get to choose 3 (or 6 with an ad). Less chances = less gear. Plain and simple. Every round that is cut to speed the challenge up or every round pass that skips us ahead past the easy levels means less boxes to open. The only place I can get gold bars and badge components are in end of mission boxes.

• MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    You have to stop advancing to repeat levels where you are comfortable. Once you move to a higher difficulty, there is no going backward. So you do have to have an idea where you will max out to decide where to start repeating.

You can run other missions with your extra gas in order to get more mission crates to make up for the ones you lose by skipping levels. There are still scavenges, season missions, and repeating challenge levels to get more boxes if that's what you want.

@Catniss

Timboski
    > @Catniss said:
    > Instead of playing the same 6 maps over and over again at excruciatingly low levels, this opens things up to much more variety. And as others have pointed out, you can repeat any challenge map at any RSL as many times as you'd like after completing it if you're so dead set on getting all of your supplies and xp from challenges only. Go run some outpost missions for the only ACTUAL lost resource amount from this new format. You'll end up with more bang for your buck in TG.
    >
    > EDIT: Also, when I (and everyone else) say it's a reduction in grind, it means it's a reduction in the challenge grind. The entirety of the game is a grind. It's how it works. You grind for different resources to upgrade different things and then every few months there's an update and you start the grind all over again. But the grind of the challenge was getting out of control and completely monotonous. This is a game and it should be fun, first and foremost. This breathes so much more life into the challenge mode of the game.
    >
    > Okay, so I am currently almost as far as I can get in the challenge for the week, I am at the point one hit sends me straight to struggle and I can do one map every ~2 hrs because of healing times. How do I go back and repeat a level that is farmable? Or are you telling me I have to know before I press move on to the next round that I need to stop and repeat while hoping I have enough time/gas to actually push myself to my limit later on?
    >
    > I am not saying the TG crates are down, I am talking about the 9 end of mission boxes you get to choose 3 (or 6 with an ad). Less chances = less gear. Plain and simple. Every round that is cut to speed the challenge up or every round pass that skips us ahead past the easy levels means less boxes to open. The only place I can get gold bars and badge components are in end of mission boxes.

Once again, there are less rounds to complete in the challenge, yes. Which means less opportunities at post-mission crates, yes. But what you don't have less of is gas. You have the same amount you always do. So go run some scavenge missions for these so-called missed opportunities with the gas you save from reaching your max much earlier. Or do what @jimmorrison369 said and "recreate" the old challenge format. Repeat each round an extra time to simulate triple rounds instead of the new double.