Bring back the Ultimate Challenge please

Comments

• RoadRashRoadRash Member Posts: 178
    Well don't forget rollback during challenge cause they messed up in TG shop which cost some players gas and the compensation was less than gas used, and the mess up during ultimate challenge week where players including myself loss a rp and they compensated everybody so folks who got screwed out of a pass didnt truely get compensated for that as it was a community award, made me feel alienated.
    Monsuta
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,612
    Tales of Two Camps

To borrow from Charles Dickens:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

This is a story of two players, zbot (player level 66 soon to be 67) and notzot (player level 38). Both played the Ultimate Challenge but had different views:

How did you like the Ultimate Challenge?

zbot: The faster progression and adjustment to round passes actually made me want to push more, I normally stop around 5-6 round passes but this time went for 7. I could have gone for more but that's a limitation on myself (waiting for gas or waiting for survivors to heal). Assaults are my best class and I actually had max level gear for them.

notzbot: I just finished story mode to unlock assaults so my assaults are are Heroes (Governor, Rufus, Rosita, and Abe; none higher than rares). The faster progression had me playing way less than I usually do because of the following, once I hit higher RSL and got injured, it severely limited my overall game play since my survivors were too weak for the Distance, I can finish 1-2 in normal and that's about it since my roster is limited and my survivors are lower level (5-10). Also injured for scavenge missions so it came down to playing a challenge mission and waiting for my survivors to heal and watching gas accumulate and unused. I can see how other lower level players would be frustrated at this higher progression. For lower level players such as myself, the grind is normal play. While end gamers want the grind reduced, it it's reduced to the point where lower level players can't play then the Challenge needs to be revised.

Similar to @MadPuppy just my views from 2 different perspectives.
    ADPaq
  • R2runfastR2runfast Member Posts: 332
    That makes too much sense @RoadRash
    RoadRash
  • Gomose_WGomose_W Member Posts: 33
    I spent most of the gas and a dozen of time into challenge and just reached 1000 stars.
    In fact it's boring because there were no walker can survive when I pull the trigger.
    "no strategy,no thiking,just fire"

Let's start it from +1 round~~
    Suffer at the beginning,no more grinding.
    Monsuta
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335

The Ultimate Challenge didn’t change any player behavior, but some were “alienated” (whatever the hell that means). Some people liked it as evidenced on the Forum. But, they didn’t change their behavior either.

Am I getting this right?

-Almost right. The event did change behavior - people played less. For some, this was less than they wanted to, and so they felt like the game was preventing them from playing more, especially the parts they enjoyed the most.

An event where some people enjoyed playing less, but others were frustrated that they were forced to play less is not a success when the goal was to encourage people to play as much or more of the parts they like the most.

It's my current understanding that the players here enjoy the tougher missions, and enjoy seeing where their power can get them, but do not enjoy grinding through trivially easy levels, or playing any difficulty over and over again too many times. However, an awful lot of players who are not at the end level depend on those easy missions for the rewards and to have anything to play at all, and so restricting them from getting those early missions is literally taking the game away from them.

Having two separate challenges doesn't really work for us because of the way guilds are scored; what happens when I'm a "hardcore" player who is in a guild that has chosen the "casual" mode? What if my guild boots me because I selected toe setting that differed from everyone else? By common sense, players would assume that "hardcore" players would have a higher possible star earnings potential, and so anyone who wanted to help their guild the most would be pressured directly or indirectly into choosing "hardcore" even if they personally wanted more easy rounds instead. It's very tricky; one of the reasons those more casual players value the stars so much is because they are the same stars the veteran players are earning; they get to stand in that same leaderboard and "play in the big leagues"; even though they know they will be outscored, they still feel like they competed or helped their team.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
  • Conan1976Conan1976 Member Posts: 758
    Do something with the round passes if the challenge it self wont be changed, Please.

Thank you! :)
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be!
    We bring the fun back! Game Tips and Videos! Common interest non-game related chats too!
    Everyone is Welcome!

Grimes Den & Dixons Den: competitive / different play styles
    Shivas Den: semi-competitive / relaxed Maggies Den: training and growth

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected]
    TJSDBonesArtisansCrazyD
  • tallinietallinie Member Posts: 367
    Now that lots of top players are retiring from challenges and joining my 'retired' guild family to wait for better challenge days, could we agree on few top guilds that remain and the few players from other guilds who still enjoy the grind, are merged to these. You can still remain connected via Line chat or similar..
    JackBauerbanzai
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,023
    I suggested a two way challenge that could work both for top players and low level players that are at the same time in the same guild...but no one cares...
    http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/31201/my-grind-fix-rodent-fix

...this is getting sick. I believe that it's all about "earnings"...obviously the game is their work and probably earnings from new players are much more than earnings from few maxed players.
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    DBonesGovernatoranachro12banzai