Strategy Discussion: Episode 6 MIssion 6 - The Long Road

TK-421TK-421 Member Posts: 416
edited December 2015 in Strategy Discussion

Post Your Strategy Guide

Lots of survivors have fallen at this hurdle, but how did you pass this mission? Share your strategy guide below and we'll reward the best ones with 15 Radios. I'll close the discussion on Thursday 26th at 18:00 UTC and throw up a poll so you can all decide your favourite - the best of the best will get 15 Radios plus a little cherry on top.

zoson

Comments

• TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,076
    It's really difficult to comment on something like this when I finished the level long ago. I don't even remember which one this is. If we could access the lower level missions, then maybe people like me could contribute to this contest.
    zoson
  • jureforjusticejureforjustice Member Posts: 270
    edited November 2015
    I love bruisers, and here they really shined for me =D

Bruiser+Scout+Hunter: Walkthrough requires that hunter and scout can one hit kill enemy while bruiser can 2 hit kill

First turn: With the Scout, kill one walker. Advance the rest of the team accordingly and kill walkers if needed.
    Second turn: Race the scout as far as you can, hunter clear path, bruiser follow scout, stun enemy if needed.
    Third turn: LEAVE ONE WALKER WHO CAN COME ATTACK THE SCOUT. Clear enough walkers so the scout can start unlocking the door. Now, make sure bruiser is covering them with one space in between him so that when the walker comes, the bruiser can overwatch stun them. (4 turns left for door)
    Fourth turn: DO NOT KILL STUNNED WALKER, align the hunter to take out multiple walkers. Now use the bruiser to kill stunned walker from previous walker turn. (3 turns left for door)
    Fifth turn: Align hunter to take out multiple walkers, LEAVE ONE WALKER. Now if you can, stun an enemy walker, or try for another overwatch with the bruiser (2 turns left for door)
    Sixth turn: Run hunter as close to door as possible, while trying to align to kill multiple walkers, DO NOT KILL THE WALKER THAT BRUISER ATTACKED. Use bruiser to kill the previous walker he hurt. (1 turns left for door, end turn and door opens)
    Seventh turn: Door's open! Run the hunter and bruiser past the door and onto the top part of the area. Use scout to kill the walker that's shown right behind opened door, which should be close by to the bruiser and hunter. If there's more than 1 walker, use bruiser to attack the other.
    Eighth turn: Threat walkers show up. Do not step on buried walkers. Scout should navigate around to try to be able to get into attacking position of the tank that is standing in the middle of the map, but do not startle it yet. Now use one AP from hunter to position closer to the end of the map, however still able to shoot threat walkers that show up (the ones that spawn from boat area). Should the enemy walkers show up from behind, from the door, the bruiser should have their charge attack that can stop them from advancing, blocking them off at the door. one or two walkers can still pass, but they won't hurt as much as 5 passing through to hit hunter, bruiser and scout.
    Ninth turn: Hunter and scout should have their charge attacks. Use one AP from scout and hunter to advance closer to the end of the map, scout should now be able to attack the tank. Use both their charge attacks to take out the tank walker. Navigate the bruiser towards them.
    Tenth and further turns: Without stepping on the buried walkers, Navigate to the end, while killing enemy walkers that show up.

Thanks for reading =P
    And Thank you @kapaootweets for making this video
    qtpiekapaootweets
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Member Posts: 199

It's really difficult to comment on something like this when I finished the level long ago. I don't even remember which one this is. If we could access the lower level missions, then maybe people like me could contribute to this contest.

I totally agree. I know I beat it on my 1st attempt using 2 bruisers and 1 scout without any problems, but going into detailed instructions on how I did it is near impossible without having access to this mission.

@jureforjustice: nice write up given that you had to do it from memory and watching the video of someone else playing.
    jureforjustice
  • jureforjusticejureforjustice Member Posts: 270

@jureforjustice: nice write up given that you had to do it from memory and watching the video of someone else playing.

Thank you =D I finished it myself beforehand with lvl 6 survivors. Then my friend could not for the sake of it beat it, so he asked me to help him. He also had lvl 6 survivors and wanted to get it over with. So I remember this mission like yesterday =P
  • aysatyoaysatyo Member Posts: 352
    i also dont exactly remember how i finished this mission. but i think you need your best hunter here. i always like the combination of scout, hunter, shooter especially when im farming. so i think i also used this combination on this mission. scout leading the way, followed by shooter that is always on the overwatch. and the hunter watch their back. having the shooter on the overwatch prevents adding zombies on the next wave and it also interrupts any one walker who came close to my scout, and i also always use the shooter's skill whenever available as it also doesn't add zombies and most of the time its a critical hit,
  • rayray Member Posts: 111
    Maybe if they allow us to play old missions, we who have done that mission long ago might be able to share info.
    Leader of TWD Extreme
  • aysatyoaysatyo Member Posts: 352
    yes, play old missions. they could make the earnings half if its not your first time clearing that mission..
  • TK-421TK-421 Member Posts: 416
    Well if there's no more entries I guess @jureforjustice get the prize unless anything happens between now and the deadline!

Point taken about not remembering the mission though. What if I was to tell you that you that we've submitted a version containing the option to replay all missions on hard mode? ;)
  • PutchucoPutchuco Member Posts: 1,289
    TK-421 said:

Point taken about not remembering the mission though. What if I was to tell you that you that we've submitted a version containing the option to replay all missions on hard mode? ;)

LOVING it! Can't wait.

How much longer do we have to wait... ? ;)

If you would like to join a drama-free and fun group of enthusiasts,
    contact us via email at [email protected]
  • facemanakfacemanak Member Posts: 117
    TK-421 said:

Well if there's no more entries I guess @jureforjustice get the prize unless anything happens between now and the deadline!

Hard mode means to play it like a Deadly mission or just a high-lvl requirements as for survivors?
    Best regards,
    facemanak.
    Both.
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    TK-421 said:

I submitted one and it said it had to be moderator approved.
    That's odd. Shouldn't be the case. I don't see anything in the moderation queue and I didn't get a notification... I'll double check.
    Really hope it's not lost. Didn't save a copy locally... Ugh.

The Long Road

I did this one with two scouts and hunter. However, your team will be almost entirely dependent on your itemization. I will say that having at least one hunter is completely mandatory, and doing it with two bruisers is unfeasible due to a lack of damage output.

My reasoning for using two scouts is it allows you to protect your hunter with kills, rather than stuns. In my opinion, a kill at this stage in the game is better than a stun. Also this is a map where firing guns a lot punishes you in the long run.

General word of advice for the map: Make sure you move before you attack. The main goal is to get across, not to kill everything. If you can move out of range of zombies without *shooting* you should always opt for that and go for 3+ kills in a single shot with your hunter.

The Zombie Pile
    Turn 1: 2 zombies on the counter, 7 turns until they spawn.
    Three zombies will be present in the spawn area when the map starts. They can be placed anywhere between you and the gate. You should be prepared to kill all of them on the first turn to make dealing with the zombie pile easier. Be sure to move before you attack. Get as close to the gate as possible. You should at least be able to get two of the three zombies.

Turn 2: 3 zombies on the counter, 6 turns until they spawn.
    Three zombies will spawn out of the zombie pile, as usual. You now face four zombies. If a zombie can't hit you that turn, it's low priority.
    Position your hunter to kill the two *closest* zombies to the gate. If you can get three, great. Your goal is to protect the gate area right now. Assuming two, either move out of range, or try to get one with one of your scouts, positioning such that the other would not be able to hit you.
    Use the remaining scout to start unlocking the gate(4 turns including this one). It's imperative you start unlocking the gate now, even if you will take some damage. A little damage early saves a lot of pain later. Also, you want to get all of your guys right up against the gate ASAP. Zombies that spawn from the left side of the pile *cannot* reach you in one turn(sometimes two) so you can reduce the amount of shooting by forcing them to stack up as they approach you at the gate.
    Having everyone *at* the gate makes all of the zombies move in one direction toward you - setting up your hunter.

Unlocking the gate - 3 turns remaining
    Turn 3: 4 zombies on the counter, 5 turns until they spawn .
    Protect the scout on gate duty. Remember, if they can't get to you, let them stack up, then let them have it with your hunter next turn.

Turn 4 and 5: 5 or 6 zombies on the counter after turn 5, 3 turns until they spawn.
    During these turns, you should try to fire your hunter's gun only once.
    On Turn 5, make sure you also try to position right up against the gate.

Zombie Minefield
    Turn 6: 5 or 6 zombies on the counter, 2 turns until they spawn. The gate is now open.
    There will be four zombies on the right side of the gate. Three regular and one tank.
    Move forward through the gate to the *bottom* of the map. Don't forget to avoid the zombie-mines, move 1AP if you have to, then the second AP for positioning. Your goal now is to position yourself with three tiles minimum between you and the zombies behind you. Kill zombies *ahead* of you so you can stay ahead of the zombies behind you, ideally you run from them until the end of the map. Definitely put damage on the tank with your hunter, get it started. If one of the regular zombies is in reach, put it out of its misery with a scout.

Turn 7: 6 or 7 zombies on the counter. *One turn until more zombies spawn.*
    Continue to move along the bottom of the map, zombies spawn from the top. Again, move maximum 1AP distance and kill zombies *ahead* of you on the lower edge of the map. Ideally you want to be stacked up immediately to the left of the two-tile zombie mine that's on the bottom of the map. Put more damage on the tank and kill the regular zombies with your scouts as opportunity permits.

Turn 8: 6 or 7 zombies spawn.
    Likely two zombies will spawn immediately behind you. They're behind you, keep it that way.
    Three zombies will spawn up at the top of the map near the boats. You can also get ahead of these. Move and attack. By now at least one of the three regular zombies that was present when the gate opened should be dead. This turn you want to be finishing the tank, remember, focus clearing the path *ahead* of you. Kill the regular zombies as permitted. Use zombies ahead of you to get distance on the zombies behind you. It's better to get hit by the one or two zombies ahead of you than let the zombies behind you catch up.

On the run
    Turn 9 and on: You should have a lot of zombies chasing you, none of which can touch you.
    Finish off the one or two zombies ahead of you, and keep moving forward. You've won, all you have to do is keep moving now. Take pot shots at the zombies behind you with your hunter, if positioning permits for that extra XP.

I can not stress enough that the main key to this map is constantly moving so that the zombies behind you cannot catch up.

The Long Road

I did this one with two scouts and hunter. However, your team will be almost entirely dependent on your itemization. I will say that having at least one hunter is completely mandatory, and doing it with two bruisers is unfeasible due to a lack of damage output.

My reasoning for using two scouts is it allows you to protect your hunter with kills, rather than stuns. In my opinion, a kill at this stage in the game is better than a stun. Also this is a map where firing guns a lot punishes you in the long run.

General word of advice for the map: Make sure you move before you attack. The main goal is to get across, not to kill everything. If you can move out of range of zombies without *shooting* you should always opt for that and go for 3+ kills in a single shot with your hunter.

The Zombie Pile
    Turn 1: 2 zombies on the counter, 7 turns until they spawn.
    Three zombies will be present in the spawn area when the map starts. They can be placed anywhere between you and the gate. You should be prepared to kill all of them on the first turn to make dealing with the zombie pile easier. Be sure to move before you attack. Get as close to the gate as possible. You should at least be able to get two of the three zombies.

Turn 2: 3 zombies on the counter, 6 turns until they spawn.
    Three zombies will spawn out of the zombie pile, as usual. You now face four zombies. If a zombie can't hit you that turn, it's low priority.
    Position your hunter to kill the two *closest* zombies to the gate. If you can get three, great. Your goal is to protect the gate area right now. Assuming two, either move out of range, or try to get one with one of your scouts, positioning such that the other would not be able to hit you.
    Use the remaining scout to start unlocking the gate(4 turns including this one). It's imperative you start unlocking the gate now, even if you will take some damage. A little damage early saves a lot of pain later. Also, you want to get all of your guys right up against the gate ASAP. Zombies that spawn from the left side of the pile *cannot* reach you in one turn(sometimes two) so you can reduce the amount of shooting by forcing them to stack up as they approach you at the gate.
    Having everyone *at* the gate makes all of the zombies move in one direction toward you - setting up your hunter.

Unlocking the gate - 3 turns remaining
    Turn 3: 4 zombies on the counter, 5 turns until they spawn .
    Protect the scout on gate duty. Remember, if they can't get to you, let them stack up, then let them have it with your hunter next turn.

Turn 4 and 5: 5 or 6 zombies on the counter after turn 5, 3 turns until they spawn.
    During these turns, you should try to fire your hunter's gun only once.
    On Turn 5, make sure you also try to position right up against the gate.

Zombie Minefield
    Turn 6: 5 or 6 zombies on the counter, 2 turns until they spawn. The gate is now open.
    There will be four zombies on the right side of the gate. Three regular and one tank.
    Move forward through the gate to the *bottom* of the map. Don't forget to avoid the zombie-mines, move 1AP if you have to, then the second AP for positioning. Your goal now is to position yourself with three tiles minimum between you and the zombies behind you. Kill zombies *ahead* of you so you can stay ahead of the zombies behind you, ideally you run from them until the end of the map. Definitely put damage on the tank with your hunter, get it started. If one of the regular zombies is in reach, put it out of its misery with a scout.

Turn 7: 6 or 7 zombies on the counter. *One turn until more zombies spawn.*
    Continue to move along the bottom of the map, zombies spawn from the top. Again, move maximum 1AP distance and kill zombies *ahead* of you on the lower edge of the map. Ideally you want to be stacked up immediately to the left of the two-tile zombie mine that's on the bottom of the map. Put more damage on the tank and kill the regular zombies with your scouts as opportunity permits.

Turn 8: 6 or 7 zombies spawn.
    Likely two zombies will spawn immediately behind you. They're behind you, keep it that way.
    Three zombies will spawn up at the top of the map near the boats. You can also get ahead of these. Move and attack. By now at least one of the three regular zombies that was present when the gate opened should be dead. This turn you want to be finishing the tank, remember, focus clearing the path *ahead* of you. Kill the regular zombies as permitted. Use zombies ahead of you to get distance on the zombies behind you. It's better to get hit by the one or two zombies ahead of you than let the zombies behind you catch up.

On the run
    Turn 9 and on: You should have a lot of zombies chasing you, none of which can touch you.
    Finish off the one or two zombies ahead of you, and keep moving forward. You've won, all you have to do is keep moving now. Take pot shots at the zombies behind you with your hunter, if positioning permits for that extra XP.

I can not stress enough that the main key to this map is constantly moving so that the zombies behind you cannot catch up.
    Found it in the spam filter...
  • rayray Member Posts: 111
    @TK-421 awesome news on replaying old missions.
    Also is there going to be a time given when the game goes down for the update?
    Leader of TWD Extreme
  • ZdravichZdravich Member Posts: 4
    Guys I've been stuck on this level for days now and the problem is, probably of this tip given you dont start with 7 turns, you start with 6.. I dont know what to do.
    zoson
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    Just move your scout to the gate as soon as possible so you can enter the gate before the next wave comes. Bring a hunter so you can kill multiple walkers that try to come near the scout. And the last survivor is upto you. I prefer shooter because its long, has high damage and the extra shot helps a lot because zombies can come from different directions. Just always put him in overwatch to not attract more zombies. And always use his extra shot ability. Once the gate is open, move your survivors in carefully. Let the hunter kill the walkers that follow behind. Move your scout carefully and the shooter follow him with overwatch..

Zdravich said:

Guys I've been stuck on this level for days now and the problem is, probably of this tip given you dont start with 7 turns, you start with 6.. I dont know what to do.

You do start with seven. Just look at the counter as soon as you spawn. Also, check the video posted by jure. It very clearly shows 7 turns at the start!
This discussion has been closed.