Hunter's Incendiary Upgrade

Currently, the top half of my players are at level 15. Most of my others are at level 14. I just acquired a level 14 legendary rifle. The first two upgrades are really good for this rifle. However, I'm not sure about the final upgrade. It is the incendiary trait.

Logically, I don't see the use of this trait. In most instances, having a walker or Raider turn into a bonfire can be problematic if any one of your survivors are close to them.

The only instance where this trait makes sense to me is if a tough Walker or Raider is behind the fence or something like that. And they're now burning up and losing health while they can't get to my people. Other than that, I can't see how this trait is beneficial on most missions.

My main concern is the spikey Walker. At this stage of the game, I am now seeing Spikey much more than I'd like to. As you know, he doesn't go down easily. So the last thing I want to see is a flaming Spikey charging at my players. I've never seen it before but, would a flaming Spikey burn a player and make the player bleed at the same time? And if so, how much damage could that do to a player on just one hit? That is the thing that I am trying to avoid as much as possible in this game.

Since this legendary rifle has the incendiary trait as the final upgrade, 1 out of every 2 enemies I hit will turn into a bonfire, if they haven't been killed. How can this be a good thing?

What's even weirder about this game is, over the past week, I've acquired at least four different rifles that have that trait. Albeit, none of the other rifles are as powerful as the one I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I've never had a weapon with that trait activated. So maybe NG has done something with that trait that goes against logic. If that's the case, can someone explain to me how this trait is such a good thing to have? I look forward to your replies. Thanks.

Comments

• Nick37Nick37 Member Posts: 450
    I have incendiary on a couple of hunters and a shooter and they can be very useful for shooting fattie walkers from a distance and letting them burn to death, but try and avoid using them with 2 other melee survivors.
    “Aloha Snackbar” Guild No Mans Land.
    “Sheffield UK (SUK)” Group Our World.
    SCBMAJenng
  • SCBMASCBMA Member Posts: 2,181
    Incendiary is my new favorite trait, give it a try! Just keep enough distance between the walkers/freemen and your survivors and you will be fine. It's fun watching burning fatties stumble towards you but fall dead before they can reach you. They die faster from burning than from bleeding.
    JenngsligoemTJSJaden
  • ADPaqADPaq Member Posts: 296
    Initially when I got my first incendiary rifle I did not like it because I kept misjudging the distances needed for an enemy to burn to death. This then meant my survivors getting burnt which really sucked. I'm more used to it now, and I have to say against very tough opponents, given enough distance, it's very useful for whittling down health over time due to the burning damage.

But beware, on small maps it can be a distinct disadvantage to your own team.
    JenngsligoemJaden
  • R2runfastR2runfast Member Posts: 332
    I'll let you know if it creates lag here in about 2-3 days
    sligoem
  • PriestWhiteLotusPriestWhiteLotus Member Posts: 4
    > @Nick37 said:
    > I have incendiary on a couple of hunters and a shooter and they can be very useful for shooting fattie walkers from a distance and letting them burn to death, but try and avoid using them with 2 other melee survivors.

What about vs. Spikey? I was never worried about the Tank walkers because they move slow. However, Spikey moves faster and covers a greater distance during his turn. And let's not forget, level for level, Spikey is stronger than Tank. So he always takes more shots to go down then Tank. That's what I'm most worried about. That he is on fire and gets close to my players and makes them bleed and burn at the same time. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    @PriestWhiteLotus

Just wanted to correct you about Spikey movement compared to tanks. All the walkers move at the same rate. Two spaces per turn, or three on a diagonal.
    SCBMAjimmorrison369PriestWhiteLotusJenng
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,928
    @dotak
    Would call it 2 diagonal spaces personally. But agreed.
    DoTak
  • PriestWhiteLotusPriestWhiteLotus Member Posts: 4
    > @DoTak said:
    > @PriestWhiteLotus
    >
    > Just wanted to correct you about Spikey movement compared to tanks. All the walkers move at the same rate. Two spaces per turn, or three on a diagonal.

Okay, thanks for the correction. What about the idea that Spikey is stronger than Tank? Thus, making a flaming Spikey more dangerous than a flaming Tank. Am I wrong in this assessment?
  • TheRealSavageTheRealSavage Member Posts: 64
    Typically the higher health a walker has, the more useful incendiary is. You will just have to use your kiting skills to get away from the flaming spike. Or use defensive stance to slow it down.
    JenngPriestWhiteLotus
  • AlexFiliUKAlexFiliUK Member Posts: 163
    I didn't even know you could get flammable weapons besides Rufus' flamethrower and the winter weapon pistol... I need to start upgrading weapons more.
  • ALF4realsALF4reals Content Creator Posts: 288
    Incendiary is INVALUABLE, Hunter weapons these days need Incendiary, Wide Bore, and Increased Damage...nothing else will do lol
    Trust in NG *rubs ears* woo-sahhh

If you like my videos why not check them out on the YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJNZhPyxCp36-ctXh7CHUvg?view_as=subscriber
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    ALF4reals said:

Incendiary is INVALUABLE, Hunter weapons these days need Incendiary, Wide Bore, and Increased Damage...nothing else will do lol

Piercing! My preferred rifle is gold piercing and incendiary, silver bore. I would take interrupt or lethal instead of incendiary for certain circumstances.

But as a main rifle, I agree that incendiary is a must.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    bigbeano
  • hunter_xhunter_x Member Posts: 246
    I love incendiary trait, very useful to hit spikey or fatty

• dmar310dmar310 Member Posts: 83
    Incendiary is great, but since an upgrade a couple of months ago, fire causes a terrible lag. It has gotten better since they applied newer upgrades, but there is still some choppiness with fire missions, and incendiary weapons just make it worse.

Also, I don't think you get a charge if the walker dies from the fire. I could be wrong, but it seems like that was a problem for me in addition to the lag.
  • SCBMASCBMA Member Posts: 2,181
    I don't experience any lag but can confirm that you don't get a charge point if the walker dies from just the burn and not the actual impact.
  • PigBenisPigBenis Member Posts: 1,051
    I get horrible lag on missions with about 3+ burning enemies. Samsung Galaxy S6.
    Black Labs Matter.