Roll the dice on a scout

MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
Looking for some opinions.
Who would you take a chance on, and why?

My ideal damage-dealer scout would have Retaliate, Ruthless, Strong, Iron Skin, and Dodge or Luck. PowerStrike would also be OK, while anything else would disappoint me.

Any of these could end up great, but all have a chance of that feared bad 5th trait.

Prospect 1 is missing Retaliate.
Prospect 2 is missing Strong.
Prospect 3 is missing Ruthless.

Who would you upgrade?

Comments

• Andy_bAndy_b Member Posts: 107
    prospect2 for me followed closely by prospect1
    Jaden
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    Like you say, they'll be be perfect with the traits you mentioned so it just comes down to luck. My guess is number 2
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    R2runfast
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 1,301
    So for me it's clearly Prospect2 (everything from here on out is per my style of play and my opinion). My unicorn Scout is Lucky-Dodge-IS-Retaliate-Ruthless and in current meta I want Lucky-Retaliate-Ruthless. I use Swift Strike all the time and Threat Reduction on certain maps and need Lucky to help those traits activate. My two most useful weapons are Gold Lucky & Lethal with silver Swift Strike and Gold Swift Strike and Threat Reduction with silver Charging. Somewhere in the discussion there is an analysis of the actual impact of Marksman/Strong trait and one of the conclusions was those two survivor traits don't impact damage as much as you'd expect and that Lethal on your weapon may have more value than was previously thought. So I'm softer on Strong for a Scout and would rather outfit them with %Damage and %Crit Damage badges. For Prospect2 if you pull Lucky you have the unicorn and if you pull Strong or Power Strike you still have a really well traited Scout. If you pull Power Strike on either of the other two they can be good but not as good as Prospect2 (for the record my 2nd Scout has Lucky-Dodge-Retaliate-Strong-Power Strike and was acquired pre-Ruthless introduction...he is a promotion away from double pink). Hope this helps.
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    Goodluck btw @Mabiki
    Let us know how you go.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    Jaden
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    TJS said:

Goodluck btw @Mabiki

Let us know how you go.

Will do. Need a few more tokens first though. I'll probably let the community vote decide since it is such a toss-up.
  • bunbun Member Posts: 161
    None of them, keep the tokens and wait for a unicorn.
    Techfall
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 3,051
    I think it's easy to tell people to wait but how rare is it to get a legendary from a call? Then what are the chances that it will have the exact trait combination you're looking for. I've had a number of legendary survivors from a call and all of them have had some combination of bullet dodge, defensive stance or vigilant :lol:

It depends what you want it for, if you want it for pure raw damage in the distance then prospect 1 as it already has strong and ruthless. If it's for all round play then I would take a punt on prospect 2. I think it was worked out that strong/marksman only added 6% and you could make up for that in badges.
    crambert_necPig
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    Ruthless Ruthless Ruthless. Unfortunately that decides where to go. Prospect2
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
  • ALF4realsALF4reals Content Creator Posts: 288
    am I the Only one to say prospect 3? I still like strong/marksman
    Trust in NG *rubs ears* woo-sahhh

If you like my videos why not check them out on the YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJNZhPyxCp36-ctXh7CHUvg?view_as=subscriber
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067
    @ALF4reals

Strong is not bad on a scout, but with ruthless, he can deal a ton of damage.

I would also go with Prospect2.
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
  • sbfsbf Member Posts: 466
    Prospect 1 for me, but all are missing luck. Ruthless is a must, and you've gotta get a charge built up before that can be used, so strong is a nice plus. (I've got one with ruthless, luck, dodge, iron skin, and retaliate, but he doesn't pack as much of a punch as I need him to, even with 3 damage badges).

I used to think of retaliate as a must but having played without it now, it can be nice in certain situations. The premise of retaliate is that you'll get hit before attacking in return, but if the walker is dead, there's no need to retaliate, and a trait that can help kill that walker will be better in that situation. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the case with all maps, but it's a different play style that can be quite effective.

My newest scout that I'm bringing up has strong, ruthless, luck, iron skin, power-strike. I know some don't like power-strike on a scout, but given that we know spawn locations on almost every map (a few exceptions), power-strike can be very useful, especially on the .4 maps with fatties spawning. Interrupt makes power-strike brutal as well. Or you can bring a tank survivor, put them both next to a monster walker but with the scout on a diagonal, and absorb the hit with your tank...presto power-strike attack. I just got her a second star, but her power-strike charge attack at 1 star was 65k, with Jesus as leader and without Jesus and power-strike she still crits around 45k (lethal, charging, destructive on weapon). With a more versatile weapon, but still with destructive, she crits in the high 30s. Without dodge, at +5rsl all hits on her are critical, and she can't withstand much of that (either very low green or in the red at rsl30), but on maps where I can charge her up on regular walkers and have her take out lvl30 fatties without any effort, or take the hits with another survivor, it's worth bringing her on missions. (She's also a monster in the distance)
    klman1612
    @sbf I hear you. My best scout right now has Iron Skin, Dodge, Retaliate, Ruthless and Power Strike, and a weapon with the same traits. Critting for around 60k with power strike is so satisfying in the Distance to get my 2nd round of Aaron tokens each week..

I have trouble advancing any melee without retaliate, but if I had strong to make up for it, it might be OK. I like Luck, but I've never found it essential.

I need about 200 tokens before I level any of these, but I expect to be there within a week or two and will be sure to update the thread. If I get a good trait, I'll definitely post some screens once they are leveled and doing max damage.
    sbf
    @Mabiki Nice! If you've got that scout already, I'd make the case for pure brute force for your next one.

Anything without retaliate used to be an insta-scrap for me (which means I've scrapped a few good ones), but I've seen the light and playing without it works quite well when that extra trait is the right trait.

Re luck, I like it on a scout because of swift strike and threat reduction--that little bump from it makes it worth it for me, and if I'm running Michonne with her newly increased leader trait and I have swift-strike on my weapon, it activates pretty much every turn.

I'm jazzed to hear you use power-strike on a scout. I don't see that as often as I might like on the forum (hence my praising of its positives).

Best of luck!
    bradleyharvey
  • bradleyharveybradleyharvey Member Posts: 240
    Prospect 1 for me to. I have a few scouts with retaliate and it's not a dealbreaker for me anymore . No. 1 looks like he could be perfect damage scout, pray for luck or powerstrike.
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 1,301
    You need to break her in on Hilltop before it ends :# I think Lucky was a better pull than Retaliate.
    tabernacklman1612anthony172msapaev
    Sweet scout @Mabiki, I'd be happy with that roll (especially since my luck gets me bullet dodge most of the time)
    tabernac
  • Conan1976Conan1976 Member Posts: 758
    Luck is a must on scouts for me, as you need it to get your max chance to activate TR.
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be!
    We bring the fun back! Game Tips and Videos! Common interest non-game related chats too!
    Everyone is Welcome!

Grimes Den & Dixons Den: competitive / different play styles
    Shivas Den: semi-competitive / relaxed Maggies Den: training and growth

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected]
    @Conan1976

I love the luck trait, and can tell when I don't have it, but as a trait that can also appear on a weapon, I don't find it absolutely necessary on a survivor. That said, I can't wait to try out Prospect1 aka Psycho Beth as soon as I get her levelled up.
  • Conan1976Conan1976 Member Posts: 758
    @Mabiki true!

But, see the math. Gold TR (75 %), luck on your leg scout (18%) and silver on your weapon (15%) = 0.75*1.33 --> 99,75 % chance :)
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be!
    We bring the fun back! Game Tips and Videos! Common interest non-game related chats too!
    Everyone is Welcome!

Grimes Den & Dixons Den: competitive / different play styles
    Shivas Den: semi-competitive / relaxed Maggies Den: training and growth

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected]
    Yes, it is incredible math. I still have a level 24 Luck/Swift Strike/TR weapon (upgraded, obviously) that I loved dearly.. But can't find jack at base 23.

• DrunkenDrunken Member Posts: 1,726
    I would go first one. Strong for a scout is a must imo their base attack is already high so increase that and it’s gold. I have a 7k damage scout love him. But he can’t take a hit to save his life so his retal is worthless
  • TechfallTechfall Member Posts: 168
    edited February 2018
    2 , strong is overrated there's a thread somewhere where someone did the math and at max level the increase from strong and marksman is minimal, would rather have luck, Dodge , iron skin, retaliate and ruthless. Strong even less so now with badges
    anthony172
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    Drunken said:

Strong for a scout is a must imo their base attack is already high

Techfall said:

2 strong is overrated... at max level the increase from strong and marksman is minimal

I wouldn't call it a must, nor would I cal it overrated when talking about a scout.
    @Drunken is correct about how the value is best on a scout.
    Getting the absolute most damage on a scout makes sense.

If you have 15% strong
    This will increase only your survivor damage, this is about 40% of your total damage.
    That means not 15%, but 6%.

Then indeed, if you also have a + damage badge. The percentage will be even lower.

A %damage badge however, will include the %strong.
    So it is not wasted on a %damage badge!

Cronustabernackamilowatyaquila
  • TechfallTechfall Member Posts: 168
    edited February 2018
    > @jimmorrison369 said:
    > Strong for a scout is a must imo their base attack is already high
    >
    > 2 strong is overrated... at max level the increase from strong and marksman is minimal
    >
    > I wouldn't call it a must, nor would I cal it overrated when talking about a scout.
    > @Drunken is correct about how the value is best on a scout.
    > Getting the absolute most damage on a scout makes sense.
    >
    > If you have 15% strong
    > This will increase only your survivor damage, this is about 40% of your total damage.
    > That means not 15%, but 6%.
    >
    > Then indeed, if you also have a + damage badge. The percentage will be even lower.
    >
    > A %damage badge however, will include the %strong.
    > So it is not wasted on a %damage badge!

Yea but you can't get luck, retaliate, Dodge on badges and ruthless/iron skin are must haves imo, hence why strong is overrated. Speaking as someone who has strong on their pink scout too. Just saying as I learned more about it and saw that guys spreadsheet it showed how little damage strong added
    jimmorrison369kamilowaty
  • MaggiesmuffinsMaggiesmuffins Member Posts: 85
    I liked prospect 2 the best
    “That’s how it is, isn’t it? You always think there’s one more peanut butter left.”

Don't worry @Maggiesmuffins, I still have him. He's just going to have to wait a while to see what his fifth trait would be.

It might take a long time, but since scouts are my favorite class I'll probably get there eventually.
    tabernacMaggiesmuffins
  • anthony172anthony172 Member Posts: 681
    edited February 2018
    I have a question what happen with ruthless if one of my survivors has it as a trait and his armor too?
    @anthony172

The traits definitely stack in some way, but I don't know how the math works. Maybe someone like @jimmorrison369 would know?
    anthony172
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    Damage*(100%+RuthelessA+ruthlessB)/100%
    msapaevanthony172kamilowaty