List of traits affected by luck.

Comments

• bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 1,070
    edited February 6
    Power Strike and Sure Shot have both better critical chance when not moved.

Kaz did mention accurate (which is critical chance) being affected by luck but hasn't those two.

They should be affected by luck when not moved.

Edit:

No wait, he has mentioned Sure Shot. Power strike is basically the same except it increases damage on top of critical chance. So yes power strike is affected as well by luck but only its critical chance part, not the imcreased damage one.
    jimmorrison369bigbeanoDBones
  • PutchucoPutchuco Member Posts: 1,289
    Now I am even more confused...hahaha

Luck stacks with Sure Shot, so it should clearly do the same with PowerStrike (on the chance that is).
    Why is this more complicated?
    If you would like to join a drama-free and fun group of enthusiasts,
    contact us via email at [email protected]
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,493
    edited February 6
    Shteevie said:

Here's some more info on luck:
    Any Trait that reads like "X% of the time, do an awesome thing" is affected by Luck. Any Trait that reads like "Some other number is increased or decreased by X%" is not affected by Luck. Luck also affects chances for Critical Hits.

@Shteevie
    Doesn't that exlude bulletproof?

@Shteevie
    Pretty please :#
    edited February 7
    NOTE: Lucky does increase a survivor's Critical Chance, but doesn't increase Accurate, Sure Shot or the Power Strike trait.
  • msapaevmsapaev Member Posts: 184
    edited February 6
    @Putchuco you are right, the Power Strike trait (the analog of Sure Shot) is affected by Luck
    edited February 7
    NOTE: Lucky does increase a survivor's Critical Chance, but doesn't increase Accurate, Sure Shot or the Power Strike trait.
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,306

@Shteevie
    Doesn't that exlude bulletproof?

-Bulletproof modifies a number that already exists; in effect, it is sort of like "Anti-piercing". It is not affected by Luck for the reasons explained above.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    jimmorrison369I_Am_Psycho
    edited February 7
    @Shteevie, so was @Kaz wrong here with bolletproof?
    And what about Hazzard Suit trait (its chance of body shot)?

It completely confuses me when you, guys, are answering vice versa and also when traits with similar description work differently :(
    jimmorrison369PutchucoKazcrambert_nec
    edited February 7
    I am totally with you, @msapaev !

I had the naive (?) impression that everything based on a 'chance' could be increased with Luck.
    This thread confirmed it at first, then took away Piercing, and the more we are writing and reading here the more I get confused.
    msapaevKaz
  • KazKaz Administrator Posts: 719
    edited February 7
    msapaev said:

It completely confuses me when you, guys, are answering vice versa and also when traits with similar description work differently :(

Ignore me! Shteevie is right and I've just tested on my game. (Poor Glenn took a lot of hits for this test though). I've updated my previous list!
    jimmorrison369DBones
  • PapacasPapacas Member Posts: 416
    Kaz said:

msapaev said:

Ignore me! Shteevie is right and I've just tested on my game. (Poor Glenn took a lot of hits for this test though). I've updated my previous list!
    Well if I remember correctly, Glenn is sorta used to getting hit a lot by now... or at least he should be! hehehe
    KazDBones
    We've come a long way since this post in July 2017.
    It was still under the radar, but awareness about pierce and luck started there.

Then in this post in september 2017, it was officially confirmed. Piercing got removed from https://twdnomansland.wordpress.com.
    Bulletproof was still on there though. (and will, because I believe @OneLessTitan doesn't update anymore.)

Now, present day, we finally get a FAQ for luck and how it interacts.
    I'm very much grateful to @kaz for picking this up.
    Even though he was wrong about a couple things... (for starters, looking at an external site to look for information about "his" game...)
    But I can't really blame him, he's not a developer. It is not his role to completely understand and know each game-mechanic.

@Kaz . I hope you do not find me to salty or screamish.
    In my hunger for accurate and defined information, I might come over unfriendly.
    It is nothing personal, really.
    I do believe you're the best candidate to (try and) replace @Teeceezy

Thanks.
    DBonesmsapaevant
    edited February 7
    O, and @gespuer (he's gone though... :( )

This post
    gespuer said:

David_H79 said:

Thx for clarifying @jimmorrison369

There is much to learn on the forum.

:)

Absolute agree here. It would be appreciated when the developer would explain their mechanism in FAQ.
    It finally happened man! It took a while, but where there :D
    @Kaz
    Maybe add Critical chance as a "trait".
    I know it can't be found on armor or gear or survivors. But it is affected by luck.
  • nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 214
    The number 1 addition to this game to make it better would be a combat log that details the damage calculation for each turn. Included in the log would be all the rolls for every damage calculation and how the damage calculation was affected by every survivor trait, survivor level, hero trait, equipment trait, badge, enemy type, enemy level and any weekly bonus. Without a log like this, we are forced to try different things to find out how the game actually works. The damage calculation in this game is a very, very complex one. We make assumptions about the damage calculation all the time, but we lack good information on how all the facets of damage calculation work.

There are literally millions of combinations of attack based on the items I mentioned above. There is only one way to get accurate information:
    Have the software produce a detailed log of its damage calculation. The game does this detailed calculation every time an attack happens. It just needs to tell us the details of its calculation.

This log could be optional. The log file could just be written to the device's storage for reading by any file viewer.

I assume the developers have a log like this for development and testing purposes. This is one area that transparency by NG would make the player's experience much more enjoyable, and it would just plain make the game better for all of us.
    jimmorrison369KazLambari
  • dylanarenadylanarena Member Posts: 78
    Hey @Kaz,

This is fantastic. Thank you for it! One suggestion for clarity is to remove your earlier version of the FAQ (from page 1 of this thread), and in its place point people to this more recent version. That way you won't have to worry about two almost-but-not-quite identical versions of "truth" in the thread.

Cheers,
    Dylan
    Japes87
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,369
    Hi @Kaz
    As a returning player after a long hiatus , I am having difficulty choosing and building badges to go with my player traits. The playing field is much more diverse now with builds and since there are caps on certain traits , it would be easy to hit a cap then waste a good badge that won't help our survivors. For example , the Iron Skin trait is apparently capped at 60% so if I have iron skin on armor and survivor, I may not want to use too many damage reduction badges on that survivor.

Could you please add a list of the caps to the FAQ to allow us to plan our builds better ? Thanks , cheers
    bigbeanoDBonesR2runfast
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 560
    So @Kaz to maximize Dodge you would want:

Lucky and Dodge on your survivor (e.g 20% Lucky and 20% Dodge)
    Lucky on your weapon (e.g. 20% Lucky)
    Dodge on your armor (e.g. 20% Dodge)

To get, using the values above:
    Dodge stacks so 20% + 20% = 40%
    Lucky stacks so 20% + 20% = 40%
    Total Dodge: 40 + (40 x 0.4) = 56% [Dodge + (Dodge x Lucky)]

Correct?

P.S. The mathlete in me does this calculation as 40 x 1.4. Father Gabriel anyone?
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,369
    Thanks @Shteevie It's good to be back
    Appreciate the transparency on all fronts , this will help huge with making builds with badges and gear !
    SCBMA
    Thank you, @Kaz ! This is a great thread!
    Kaz
  • KazKaz Administrator Posts: 719
    msapaev said:

Thank you, @Kaz ! This is a great thread!

It is, and thanks a lot for your help guys! You are awesome!
    edited February 9
    @Kaz @Shteevie this is great!

I have collected and slightly modified the info provided for my guildmates.
    Maybe this helps others as well, as I found that helpful info was still spread over various posts here.

If it helps, great. I you don't find it helpful, forget it.

LUCK in the game

As a rule of thumb: LUCK increases the probability of triggering other probability traits, i.e. any trait that has a '% chance' to be triggered.

One BIG exception: Piercing is NOT influenced by Luck.

List of traits that are affected by Luck:
    - Bullet Dodge
    - Charging
    - Concussion
    - Dodge
    - Incendiary
    - Interrupt
    - Silenced
    - Stun Resistance
    - Swift Strike
    - Threat Reduction

NOTE: Luck does increase a survivor's Critical Chance, but doesn't increase the Accurate, Sure Shot or the Power Strike traits per se.

Calculation examples:
    - If you have 20% of Dodge on your armor and 20% of Luck, the formula goes like this: Dodge + (Dodge x Luck) = 20 + (20 x 0.2) = 24% of total chance for Dodge to kick in
    - If you have 20% of Dodge on your armor plus 20% of Dodge on your survivor and 20% of Luck, then it'll be 40% of dodge and therefore the formula would be: 40 + (40 -x 0.2) = 48%
    - If you have 20% of Dodge plus 20% of Luck on your weapon and 20% of Luck on your survivor, then it goes like this: 20 + (20 x 0.4) = 28%

Any Trait that reads like "X% of the time, do an awesome thing" is affected by Luck. Any Trait that reads like "Some other number is increased or decreased by X%" is not affected by Luck. Luck also affects chances for Critical Hits.

Piercing changes the values used for the game's calculation of whether an attack is a Body Shot or not. It is not a new effect with a chance to happen. This is why Piercing is not affected by Luck.

To find out how much Luck helps, add together the Luck values from weapon, survivor, and Gabriel's Traits [whichever are applicable, of course]. Then, increase the percentage of the trait in question by the amount of luck you have. Be careful; this is not the same as just adding the trait and Luck together. If you have a 50% chance on the Trait, and 20% luck, you add 20% of the 50% to the original 50% to get 60%.

The math form of this looks like this:
    (Trait %) x (1 + (total luck %)) = final trait %

For the Leader traits, it depends on the Hero, so Luck affects only:
    - Silent Shot (Daryl's)
    - Good Out of Bad (Sasha's)
    - Mysterious Ways (Gabriel's)
    - Thinning The herd (Michonne's)
    - Second Chance (Carl's)
    - Bodyguard (Jerry's)
    - Aim For The Head (Carol's)
    - Mullet Time! (Eugene's)
    - Defensive Charge (Morgan's)

It should be noted that many Leader Traits are 2 smaller things stuck together. Luck affects things that happen or not based on a percentage chance, not things that always increase some other number by a percentage.

In Jerry's case, for instance, Luck causes it to happen more often, but doesn't increase the amount of damage reduction. In Gabriel's case, the chance to dodge is affected by Luck, and the Luck he adds himself adds on to other Luck the Survivors may have.

Also also also, each survivor's luck is added up separately. If Carol has lucky gear, that helps her, but not the others on her team. Similarly, her teammate's Luck helps the benefit of Carol's leader trait, but only for them, and not for Carol.

- Luck on a Hero ONLY affects them, NOT any of the team members
    - Luck on a team member (either directly or weapon) adds to the probability of a (probability-based) hero-trait to kick in for THEM (!)

Capped traits

NOTE: The Luck trait doesn't increase the chance of a trait that is already capped.

NG hopes that the worst offenders in terms of 'cap' have been dealt with, and they say they know better than to flirt with these kinds of imbalances again in the future.

Critical chance is capped at 90%
    Damage Reduction is capped at 80%
    Stun Resistance is capped at 75%

There is one exception to the damage reduction cap - in the turn that a Survivor is prevented from dying by Carl's "Second Chance" trait, they will take 0 damage for the remainder of the enemy turns. This way, the player has time to get the survivor to safety before they are in danger again.
    bladgierJapes87KazSteinar
    @Putchuco
    Don't forget.
    Not only piercing, also accurate/powerstrike/sureshot
    edited February 9
    @jimmorrison369 yes and no.
    Those three traits are listed in there, but the chance of these three traits is influenced by Luck, right?
    Unless I got something totally wrong.

Right here:
    NOTE: Luck does increase a survivor's Critical Chance, but doesn't increase the Accurate, Sure Shot or the Power Strike traits per se.
    Not sure what could be ambiguous about:
    "But doesn't increase accurate, sureshot and powerstrike."

So you critical chance is boosted by luck, but not the part that comes from those traits.

Or that is how I read that.
    Maybe our little exchange is a sign that it is ambiguous...hahahaha

What phrasing would you suggest to make it 100% clear?
    jimmorrison369
    To be fair. I always thought:
    Critical is
    Critical chance + sure-shot + acurate
    And then luck get added.

But from that wording it must be
    Critical chance and then luck get added.
    Only after that sureshot, accurate gets added.

I like the first much better. But from wording it must be last.