What should happen with the disagree button

Comments

• antant Member Posts: 547
    edited February 2018
    Keep is, it's useful
    A good flogging never hurt anyone!

Or did it?
    Click here to join the BlackjacknBeef/Asylum Family.

Click here to see my youtube strategy videos.
    GovernatorSlickRick
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2018
    Keep is, it's useful
    TJS said:

They obviously choose not to add it for good reason. There's plenty of information out there about it. I'm not a fb fan so I'm not inclined to read too much about their reasons :

Somebody somewhere else did something and you think we should do that thing too, but you can't be bothered to find out why they did it. But we should do this thing that you aren't interested in reading about and can't explain. You don't even like them, but you've decided they're obviously right on this and we don't need to think about why.

I'm not feeling motivated by your argument.

Right now, I'm finding the disagree button useful. Whether or not getting rid of it is a good idea, the argument you make is a terrible one for doing anything.
    TJS
  • SPC_TORRESSPC_TORRES Member Posts: 1,966
    Change it to something else

JenngDodkongmack22
  • jesterjester Member Posts: 2,751
    I still vote for "Shitting Pants." I'd try to collect them.
    JenngArtisansJaden
  • SPC_TORRESSPC_TORRES Member Posts: 1,966
    @paintbeast
    Was thinking this one as well

You could have a
    With all due respect
    Then it’s ok to say anything you want

Jenngpaintbeast
  • mack22mack22 Member Posts: 1,256
    Keep is, it's useful
    I literally want you to disagree with me. I even told everyone that I hate you all, but it's cool I got iron skin.
    PigDodkongGuapo
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067
    Remove it, it causes too much trouble
    I voted to remove it, but maybe we could have the "sad" or "pity" button instead?
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    bigbeano
  • mack22mack22 Member Posts: 1,256
    Keep is, it's useful
    > @Jaden said:
    > I voted to remove it, but maybe we could have the "sad" or "pity" button instead?

How about a thumbs down button? Kinda the same as disagree, without the frowny face.
    bigbeanoJackBauer
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    edited February 2018
    Edited. Can't be bothered.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    bigbeanoBoukephalos
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    What about a button that just says "Wrong!"
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    Guapo
  • valereeevalereee Member Posts: 179
    Quote can perform the same function plus can’t be used lazily
    Winner of the 'Post Your Worst Jackpot' contest Jan18
    Pigmack22Guapo
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    edited February 2018
    Keep is, it's useful
    Techfall said:

Keep, I like knowing who takes internet forum too serious

That is not a revenge disagree. I completely disagree with your reason for keeping the disagree button.

I choose so far not to vote as I don't care either way.
    Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
  • TechfallTechfall Member Posts: 168
    Keep is, it's useful
    > @I_Am_Psycho said:
    > Keep, I like knowing who takes internet forum too serious
    >
    > That is not a revenge disagree. I completely disagree with your reason for keeping the disagree button.
    >
    > I choose so far not to vote as I don't care either way.

No need to defend I'm a big boy, I don't go back and look at my posts to see what buttons people clicked
    Pig
    Keep is, it's useful
    > @Pig said:
    > Change it to a "Your post is kakwurst" button.
    >
    > I'm going to say removing it is best, but not because people are hurt and upset by it. Instead, I think it should go because it will make the mods' jobs easier.
    >
    > It's against the rules to abuse the reaction buttons, but it can be very difficult to tell when the disagree in particular is being abused. The disagree is unlike all the other buttons in this regard.
    >
    > Agree, like, and awesome are pretty impossible to abuse. @MadPuppy is right that lol can communicate something like "not taking you seriously" or "I'm laughing at you, not with you." In fact, I've used it that way myself.
    >
    > But even then, I've only used it when I was genuinely amused. And if someone looks at your profile and sees lols, they're just going to assume you're a funny person. And don't lols give you forum points?
    >
    > So I can't see misuse of the lol as being anywhere near the problem that misuse of the disagree is. But I suppose if the moderators have to start dealing with lots of reports of abusive lols, then maybe we can cross that bridge when we come to it. I'll be surprised if we do!
    >
    > Meanwhile, the mods do have to deal with accusations of misusing the disagree, and it's a waste of their time and energy. And their judgments on the matter may not be correct at all.
    >
    > So removing the button and requiring us to disagree with our words like big boy clones just makes the mods' jobs so much easier. If I say, "I disagree with you, fuckstick," then they know they need to discipline me. If I say, "That's an interesting point of view, but have you considered... ?" then they know they don't.
    >
    > It's much more clear-cut. It cuts down on the amount of work the mods have to do. And it makes it far less likely that the mods will make a wrong judgment about whether there is trolling or just genuine disagreement.
    >
    > Sorry for the essay, but too many people refuse to think through these kind of issues. They just jump to quips about "safe spaces" and "snowflakes" and "can't handle the internet." I'd love for the disagree button to stay, and I don't particularly care about its use and abuse myself. I just hate to see the extra burden for the mods, and the increased possibility of moderator action (even bans) happening when undeserved.

Your post is flawed. Leave the button and stop investigating perceived abuse from reactions . What does it matter if someone disagrees with your post or if 100 people disagree? Does it limit your forum access if you reach a certain point? No. So there really is no point in investigating. It's not a threat or vulgar or harassing in any way to be disagreed with for any reason.
    BoukephalosGuapoI_Am_PsychoPigJadenbigbeano
    Lol @TechFall, the post of mine that you didn't even read is "flawed." You tell me to stop investigating perceived abuse. Where does my post say anything about me investigating anything? Where does it say I care if people disagree with my posts?

I actually said this: "I'd love for the disagree button to stay, and I don't particularly care about its use and abuse myself." How do you know my post is flawed when you haven't even read it?

You should stick to randomly clicking disagree, because actually trying to reason out a disagreement seems beyond your grasp at the moment. Love ya though.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    GuapoShadowaceAzJadenbigbeano
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    Keep is, it's useful
    Pig said:

Change it to a "Your post is kakwurst" button.
    I just hate to see the extra burden for the mods, and the increased possibility of moderator action (even bans) happening when undeserved.

If there's evidence that this community really can't handle the disagree button, that may be sufficient reason to remove it. That said...

This thread is here because of childish disagreement, prima donna passive-agressive posturing and overreaction by the mods. Did the disagree button really cause that? *Part* of the event was one person toggling disagree on lots of posts in a childish fit, but was that all to it? I think the people involved are going to bring those traits to all debates no matter what.

As a counter-argument, I know I've ticked disagree on something I really thought was puerile and unnecessary but was sure that that spelling it out would only cause more argument. Would requiring every disagreement to be articulated really improve things?

Guapo
    @Boukephalos Yes, there were regrettable actions from various people which lead to this question. But it actually all started with a mod taking innocent disagrees as trolling. Any trolling "toggling" of disagrees by the formerly innocent party came AFTER he was not given any chance to explain or defend himself.

You and I might agree that he shouldn't have reacted that way, the whole situation NEVER would have happened if the disagree button weren't there for a mod to misinterpret, and then refuse to listen to reason.

Regarding your last question, if the disagreement isn't worth discussing, is it worth registering at all? Seems silly to me. But all in all, I'd love to have the disagree button stay. I just think the evidence shows that innocent disagrees bring moderator action against a person, and that's what I'd like to prevent.

If @TechFall could read any better than a 4 year old chimp, he'd know that I'm not investigating anything and I can't change forum rules about what kinds of abuse have to be investigated. But he does make a good point. The mods (not me, lol) could actually change the rules so that there's no punishment for "abusing" the disagree button, and let the forum be a disagree free-for-all. I'd be happy with that solution as well.

But I think they're much more likely to remove the button than remove the rule.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    GuapoI_Am_Psychobigbeano
    edited February 2018
    Keep is, it's useful
    > @Pig said:
    > Lol @TechFall, the post of mine that you didn't even read is "flawed." You tell me to stop investigating perceived abuse. Where does my post say anything about me investigating anything? Where does it say I care if people disagree with my posts?
    >
    > I actually said this: "I'd love for the disagree button to stay, and I don't particularly care about its use and abuse myself." How do you know my post is flawed when you haven't even read it?
    >
    > You should stick to randomly clicking disagree, because actually trying to reason out a disagreement seems beyond your grasp at the moment. Love ya though.

Hi friend my response was about mods investigating perceived dislike abuse , thanks. Its a waste if resources and all dislike reports should be ignored imo. As being disliked has absolutely no impact on a poster other than their personal feelings of another's opinion. There's no abuse or threat
    Pig
    Techfall said:

Hi friend my response was about mods investigating perceived dislike abuse , thanks. Its a waste if resources and all dislike reports should be ignored imo

lol but that's no flaw in my post. You're just proposing an alternative solution to the same problem. I like your idea. But I bet a cornfield and a beaver pelt* that they'll never do your suggestion. They might do mine though.

* I don't actually own a cornfield or a beaver pelt, and I'm not actually wagering anything.

Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    edited February 2018
    Duplicate post. @Guapo's fault.

Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    MadPuppySPC_TORRESbigbeanovalereee
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    Keep is, it's useful
    Why should dislike reports be ignored?
    Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
  • GuapoGuapo Member Posts: 990
    The disagree button means nothing to those who don't care, for those who use stature to make their posts reliable it does mean something. I have disagrees on a powerstrike post where I was right, but the dummies don't get it. So the op sees the correct answer (mine) and only disagrees and believes the wrong answer. If I took pride in helping people that would piss me off. I personally find disagree trolling today and in the other thread funny. Just grow balls and hit up Kaz there too if you're gonna do it.
    In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us.
    PigJadenbigbeanoBoukephalos
    Techfall said:

As being disliked has absolutely no impact on a poster other than their personal feelings of another's opinion. There's no abuse or threat

Slow down with the edits, Tex! I can't reply to a moving target.

I agree though. A disagree is not in itself an abuse or threat. I mean, it's not as bad as catergorizing someone. Heaven forbid!
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
This discussion has been closed.