What should happen with the disagree button

124»

Comments

• PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    Remove it, it causes too much trouble
    Speaking for myself, given the happy outcome of a certain case, I might be inclined to re-evaluate my vote here. Let me put it this way, which I think will be a light enough touch.

If the button stays, and the rule against abusing it stays, then that could be workable if the productive communication process were to occur before, rather than after, bans. In that case I'd be very happy to change my vote to leaving the button as is.

Having said that, this poll is more useful than it may seem with the answers being so balanced. One way to look at the data is to say that 1/3 are in favour of leaving the button, and 2/3 seem to be in favour of some kind of change. I don't want to speak for all 2/3 of those voters, but it seems to me that if it remains a possibility for heavy mod actions to occur without adequate communication beforehand, then the majority who seem in favour of some kind of change are probably right.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    Change it to something else
    I concur with said by @Mabiki and Others who say it’s not really the issue itself. Disagreeing is part of life and the endless debates we do without even thing it.
    Yet at the same time, if you’re in a forum (as in really a place, not the virtual world) and a discussion is going on with mature adults, one does not simply state “I disagree” without normally adding “because …”.

So that leaves either (click disagree and you fill in a reason) or simply letting it stand as is and when someone notices that in a day 50+ disagrees appear, the mods and yourself @Kaz are in a position that you have to spend time and resources to find out if it’s trolling or abuse.

As pointed out previously in the thread, some people actually use the # of ‘agree’ or ‘disagree’ to determine the weight of a persons comments and expressions. So it may be about feelings but it also is the same as too many down votes, your opinion has no value.

I hope that makes sense to someone other then just me.
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

Guapo
  • MattOfEarthMattOfEarth Member Posts: 618
    Replace it with two other buttons. “I’m confused” or “your post makes no sense.” AND. “Kinda” or “yeah...but.”
    “Simply put, there’s a vast ocean of sh!t you people don’t know sh!t about. Rick knows every fine grain of said sh!t.”

Elder of JiltedProphet - 2 MILLION Stars and counting! Always recruiting, get in touch!
    Governator
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,931
    Pig said:

One way to look at the data is to say that 1/3 are in favour of leaving the button, and 2/3 seem to be in favour of some kind of change. I don't want to speak for all 2/3 of those voters, but it seems to me that if it remains a possibility for heavy mod actions to occur without adequate communication beforehand, then the majority who seem in favour of some kind of change are probably right.

On itself I agree, but I question those people that voted are representative for the entire forum.
    I can imagine a lot of people find this poll in itself useless. And don't vote.
    Seems to me the profile of somebody who votes would be overrepresented by those people that want to change, or those heavily of the opinion it should stay.
    All others will just refrain from voting thinking it is all bull-crap poll.

I'd say you'd need a minimum of 33% of the active forum community to even consider a poll outcome like this.

1Ris
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    Good point. There's always a polling bias problem. Sometimes that results in surprise elections. I won't give any examples because that would mean discussing politics ;)

But I threw that comment in as a bit of an afterthought. The more important point for me was in my first two paragraphs of that post.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    jimmorrison369
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    Keep is, it's useful
    Guapo said:

I have disagrees on a powerstrike post where I was right, but the dummies don't get it. So the op sees the correct answer (mine) and only disagrees and believes the wrong answer.

But you don't mind when somebody says something wrong and dummies tick agree and other dummies then believe it, @Guapo ? Same problem, to whatever extent it's a problem.

If the forum really has a problem with uninformed and impressionable people, all the flags are a problem.

Disagree and agree are not anonymous. People can set as much store by the weight added by a particular person's agree or disagree as they like. The people ticking agree/disagree are communicating an opinion of their own. Some do it badly, some read it badly and you can't fix that. Guess what, words have exactly the same problem.

You cannot control the way everybody interprets your words/actions or ensure their interpretations of other peoples' words/actions are correct (as you see it). You need to relax about that.
    anthony172
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    edited February 2018
    Is the perception that if a forum user has disagrees that their opinion is not valuable or if a user has more agrees than another that it makes his/her voice stronger than any other? If so, then I hope most realize that it doesn’t. All voices matter on this forum irregardless of how many disagrees or agrees a user has.

If we want to improve together as a community and in the way we communicate, why can’t we just use the ‘quote’ function and talk?

We will not all agree on every subject we discuss but if we work on ‘us’, we will learn from each other.

It’s like marriage, you always have to work on something if you want it to work and communication is usually the #1 thing to work on.

We all have different personalities and once we understand our personalities and respect each other’s different personalities, we will have a much better forum experience.

I sincerely believe that everyone in here has their heart in the right place even if we have had some rough times in the past.

We’ve had a rough week and I believe most of us have learned from it.

Finally.... someone voted to get rid of it and suggested to use the quote function as it makes us talk and can’t be abused or used ‘lazily’.... I think that’s great.

Cheers!
    GuapoPigDLich
  • GuapoGuapo Member Posts: 980
    @Kaz a quick read through the responses shows that many of the leave it responses are people just trying to be an ass. Since this thing started my disagrees doubled, almost none of which for an actual disagree. Some were for fun, some were because people said hey let's troll the disagree. It's a obvious yet nothing was moderated. I don't care, but someone else might. The use of it is not being moderated (inconsistency). IMO get rid of it fits right in with change it. The results are not even close.

I would say this is a good slice of the "active forum users" from which to get a picture of the thoughts and feelings.

As for lol, it is a positive forum point, you're welcome ☺️
    In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us.
    PigJaden
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    Keep is, it's useful
    Kaz said:

Great discussion and thanks for the pool @Guapo
    How many of you that vote "Keep is, it's useful" would be upset if we disable that button in order to avoid the possible toxicity that comes from that?

This suggestion has polarised some of the most combative people on the forum. Either way, the decision is likely to fuel more argument between them. Making changes based on the behaviour of these provocateurs will validate all of them (both the pro and anti the disagree button) and only encourage them to find the next thing to create a drama about.. You'll find yourself having to propose the abolition of quoting or comment signatures if you indulge them.

GuapoTJS
  • valereeevalereee Member Posts: 179

Replace it with two other buttons. “I’m confused” or “your post makes no sense.” AND. “Kinda” or “yeah...but.”

Maybe a 'Hmmm' button...
    Winner of the 'Post Your Worst Jackpot' contest Jan18
    JackBauerGovernator
  • valereeevalereee Member Posts: 179
    edited February 2018
    Maybe you could argue that the commenters here are 'some of those who participate most on the forums' but I disagree that they've been combative or that they're provocateurs. Most of the folks who've been discussing here have been doing so with humor and thoughtfulness.

Kaz said:

Great discussion and thanks for the pool @Guapo
    How many of you that vote "Keep is, it's useful" would be upset if we disable that button in order to avoid the possible toxicity that comes from that?

This suggestion has polarised some of the most combative people on the forum. Either way, the decision is likely to fuel more argument between them. Making changes based on the behaviour of these provocateurs will validate all of them (both the pro and anti the disagree button) and only encourage them to find the next thing to create a drama about.. You'll find yourself having to propose the abolition of quoting or comment signatures if you indulge them.

Winner of the 'Post Your Worst Jackpot' contest Jan18
    TJSJenngJadenPig
  • enigma12enigma12 Member Posts: 247
    I don’t disagree to the poll but pressed disagree for the hell of it! Personally, I’m not that sensitive to worry about someone disagreeing with me, it’s all part of life!
    anthony172xbamfx
  • enigma12enigma12 Member Posts: 247
    @SlickRick I’m with you!
    xbamfxSlickRick
  • xbamfxxbamfx Member Posts: 1,029
    Keep is, it's useful
    From hence forward anyone who smashes the “disagree” button.............to the pit of misery!! Dilly Dilly!
    mack22GovernatorJaden
  • mack22mack22 Member Posts: 1,127
    Keep is, it's useful
    > @xbamfx said:
    > From hence forward anyone who smashes the “disagree” button.............to the pit of misery!! Dilly Dilly!

Waiting for my beer?
    xbamfx
  • xbamfxxbamfx Member Posts: 1,029
    Keep is, it's useful
    @mack22 you don’t get a beer if you go to the pit of misery lmfao
  • mack22mack22 Member Posts: 1,127
    Keep is, it's useful
    > @xbamfx said:
    > @mack22 you don’t get a beer if you go to the pit of misery lmfao

C'mon I must be in the wrong pit. I seen buddy walk his ass back in with a case of bud light.
    He threw the keys back out the door.. lol.
    xbamfx
  • freedydaddyfreedydaddy Member Posts: 1,603
    Change it to good luck or something in that order is what I think
    Message me if you wanna
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    I came back to the forum since a while only to see that there is still discussion ongoing about the disagree button. :D
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    mack22bigbeanofreedydaddy
This discussion has been closed.