General question

Sorry for the silly question, started playing a few days ago and still trying to find out the basics. There was no newbie section so have to post here. Is there a way to gain more survivors other then buying with gold or is gold the main way?

Comments

• Ghosted2Ghosted2 Member Posts: 62
    radios. need to build a radio tent and then you can use radios to call survivors.
  • RahleRahle Member Posts: 29
    Ok, my comment was not specific. I meant a new survivor slot. I bought the first extra survivor however would like to get more.
  • Ghosted2Ghosted2 Member Posts: 62
    no. have to pay for them in gold or buy buying bundles that offer them.
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    You can earn gold along the way. No need to buy anything.

Don't use the radio tent yet. Wait until you can upgrade it and have gathered enough radios.

You will soon gain an additional survivor on a mission. Wait until you get there. You will need to train the ones you have, plus the new one before you will really need more.
    hottexas
  • NecroboogieNecroboogie Member Posts: 1,108
    Survivor slots can also be gotten as a gift from NG (Next Games) or in some bundles. When outpost is released you may get 3 extra survivor slots (subject to change)
  • Camel56Camel56 Member Posts: 569
    Easiest way to get gold at first, is try to complete something in the Trophy section. Some are game driven, like kill walkers at the wall, etc. Others require you to complete an episode. Try not to spend it, and save it up for a slot, if you can.
    Exactly. Don't spend the gold on anything but survivor slots. It can take patience but everything else will happen on it's own in time.
  • RahleRahle Member Posts: 29
    Perfect, thank you very much. Game been a lot of fun, wish I had played earlier.
    atm, the Challenge section is good for new people. Get 12 stars and you can get rewards better than the regular ones. Just don't do any deadly missions yet.

At this stage, it doesn't take much for a reward to be considered good. When I started playing a few weeks ago, I was very happy to get a level 4, 4 star, epic screwdriver. I recently scrapped it because I now have plenty of stuff that is much higher than level 4.

Don't bother upgrading any weapons yet. Save your XP badges for training survivors. You will get more weapons soon. If you get 4 star or 5 star weapons, you might want to keep them around and upgrade them. The rest of the stuff will become obsolete soon enough without your wasting your XP badges to upgrade them.
    Elkador
  • PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Member Posts: 92
    I agree training survivors has priority over weapons. However, note that weapons and armor have some very valuable perks that you will want to have at higher levels. I have one character that has a 45% chance of dodge at the moment. Doesn't get hit too often. Also, the extra large radius on the warrior weapons is awesome. 100% interrupt on hunter weapons is also very helpful because it works on all zombies and humans.
    I like Zombies!
    True. But I know that I wasted a lot of XP upgrading things that didn't need to be upgraded. Better stuff comes along soon. and some of the costs of upgrading are just ridiculous.
  • Dale said:

True. But I know that I wasted a lot of XP upgrading things that didn't need to be upgraded. Better stuff comes along soon. and some of the costs of upgrading are just ridiculous.

Agreed, upgrading weapons is throwing xp away.
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    If your survivor already got a decent weapons and gears, save your xp for leveling up your survivors. Even if you get a better weapon, save you xp for survivor upgrade. Weapons can wait and you might find much better weapon in future especially if you got higher level survivors.

• Camel56Camel56 Member Posts: 569
    There is a natural progression of things in the game. There comes a time when your fully upgraded character is too weak to go on. Recommended survivor lvl for missions is a good indicator. It's been said you can still get through with 2 levels below, but is much harder. Might be time then to start looking for a higher level character.

I have 12 characters, and I've managed to do all of the regular missions, and most in hard, and a few in nightmare. Unless I totally get stuck and need more guys, I'll use any gold now, for other things.
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    I have been playing since early December. As of now, I have 12 survivor slots and 12 characters all at level 12 with weapons max upgraded. I haven't spent a dime on radios. I got all gold for those slots through the game from rewards for chests, walkers at the wall, achievements, and quests. I have a system. I upgrade my council, then my training grounds, I upgrade other buildings while training my survivors, and then upgrade my weapons. When everything is caught up, I start the rotation over. This keeps my survivors and weapons balanced. A level 12 survivor with a level 9 weapon is worthless. Strong characters need strong weapons.
    Camel56
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    Also, join a guild. There is a chat feature when you belong to a guild. My guild members (A Daryl Addixon) were very helpful at answering questions and helping me with strategies when I was a newbie. Some guilds (like mine) also have corresponding Facebook groups where you can post pictures of missions you are having problems with. Great guildies can then edit those pics with what look like football plays to help you get past them. It really is helpful.
This discussion has been closed.