What should I do with my tokens?

JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,740
I have a bit of a dilemma here. Soon, I’ll have enough tokens in each class to go up to 3 pink stars for the top survivor in each class. The only problem is, my survivors all have legacy traits. No Ruthless, Revenge, or Punish.

How valuable have you guys found those traits to be in high level challenges? (I don’t care about Distance or Outposts, those are easy with the badges and gear I have)

Should I go to 3 pink stars, or build out a team of 2 pink star survivors that have the new traits?

Proud member of Mavericks OG, a top 3 global GW and challenge guild.
Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSePrANMyf_S_YKJyfJodg
Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
ShadowaceAzanderfm12JenngTJSTHCrossJackBauerMischabigbeano

Comments

• JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,740
    And yes, my survivors are still not creatively named :D
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
    JenngTHCrossekimhclew
  • mikpay2316mikpay2316 Member Posts: 110
    I was in the exact same boat. I started over. Now I have a complete ranged team with perfect traits including sure shot and ruthless. Ruthless is a game changer in my opinion. Especially in combination with critical damage badges and the destructive trait
    OG Mike 420 - MAVERICKS FAMILY 4 LIFE!
    Bill_ZRTJayZ
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,376
    Wow @JayZ my top survivor in each class has the exact same traits as yours! So we're in a similar situation. I recently got them all to 8* except bruiser (because I can wait for punish). Having 8* survivors really helps for challenge play, so I would go for it. However, I'm not investing any more tokens in them any more past that. Looking for a team with ruthless to start building up now.
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD
    JenngJayZ
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 3,179
    All your survivors have really nice traits so I say go for it! Imagine the time and effort it will take to find perfectly traited survivors with ruthless. Not like you can't make up for the missing 30% charge damage with weapon/armour traits and badges :smile:
    JayZ
  • donald6283donald6283 Member Posts: 276
    they are all perfect...exept second bruiser and second shooter
    bigbeano
    Thanks everyone - really appreciate the responses @mikpay2316 @Movado @crambert_nec and @WellyLuga (as well as the gifs @Jenng and @ShadowaceAz)

@Japes87 what you suggested was closest to my line of thinking

Given how far I've gotten, I think I am going to upgrade all of my current guys and then start focusing on acquiring tokens for the following:
    - Shooter w/ Ruthless/Revenge/Iron Skin/Marksman/Lucky or Dodge
    - Scout w/ Ruthless/Retaliate/Iron Skin/Strong/Lucky or Dodge
    - Bruiser w/ Punish/Retaliate/Iron Skin/Strong or Lucky or Dodge

I'm not fully sold on Ruthless Hunter yet. Is the bonus crit that helpful or necessary? I primarily rely on Shooters and Scouts when taking out fatties/armored walkers. Charging trait on weapons + two kill charges makes it pretty easy to get them charged.

I think I have the perfect set of traits on my Warrior and Assault (Ruthless is not very helpful on either, and Assault's range is so limited that I don't feel the need for Revenge) so I will keep those and turn down Warrior/Assault tokens for the other classes (when I get a set of green goblins).

• DBonesDBones Member Posts: 800
    @Jayz, being in a somewhat similar situation, I have basically the exact same plan moving forward (keep what I have and save tokens for something I am specifically looking for). Although, I am searching for a hunter with sure shot and ruthless, as well as a new bruiser (simply because my secondary bruiser has crappy traits - I don't even know why i brought her to 7 stars in the first place). I am a big fan of ruthless on scouts and shooters, but have no hunters with it. I think having one solid offensive hunter can be very helpful (both of my hunters have "legacy" traits as well). I have almost a shooter, scout, and bruiser that almost match exactly the traits you're looking for, and I can tell you that I love all 3 of them, so good luck in your search!
    Board-certified slayer of the dead
    Proud elder of Dead Stalkers
    JayZ
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,554

BRING HIS TOKENS, ALL TO ME!

All your tokens are belong to us!!

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    David_H79JayZBttlOpenerbigbeano
  • flyingcowkingflyingcowking Member Posts: 410
    @JayZ Shooter-2 looks like the guy from the Burbs, name him Hans Klopek

Flatulent person
    JayZSCBMAJapes87bigbeano
  • mikpay2316mikpay2316 Member Posts: 110

OG ranged team vs new. I'm glad I made the switch. I still mostly use my old assault and shooter but I've about got the new ones ready to take over
    OG Mike 420 - MAVERICKS FAMILY 4 LIFE!
    DBones
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,421
    @JayZ

I was in the exact same position recently... For now I'm keeping my 'legacy' survivors with 2 pink stars and I'm upgrading some new survivors (with ideal traits) to 2 pink stars as opposed to going to 3 pink stars with some of my original legacy survivors. Is this the right decision? It is for me.... although full disclosure, this decision was made without consulting any data compiled in a @DLich spreadsheet.

I'm not retiring any legacy survivors yet... the token return is just too low. It's like asking someone if they can break a hundred dollar bill and having them give you $20 in singles as "change". So, they will sit on a virtual shelf and come in to play occasionally when my A-Team (I pity the fool!) is in the hospital. Ideally I would love a special event that allows me to retire one of my two legacy survivors per class for additional tokens, allowing me to keep one legacy survivor and one new one with newer, more preferable traits and reinvesting the tokens from my retired survivor into my 'active' ones.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

DLichDBonesJayZ
  • NubTubedNubTubed Member Posts: 31
    DLich you need to share them spreadsheets
    @Bill_ZRT yeah... ideally I would retire all of my one pink survivors (especially the ones with Bullet Dodge) and use those tokens to build towards new survivors with improved traits. Unfortunately as you mentioned, the token return is so terrible that there's no reason to trash them. They're much better off as Distance cannon fodder (or backup raiders when I have a lot of hospital time in challenges).

Bill_ZRTjimmorrison369bigbeano
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 3,111
    @JayZ regarding assaults and revenge. Yes range is crappy but it's an amazing trait when your up against hordes in maps such as archives, fish in barrel or porch swing etc. Shove a tank in front and let your assault revenge the crowd!
    jimmorrison369SCBMAWellyLuga
    edited March 2018
    Great suggestion @Firekid - you have a good point there. Revenge Assault could be paired well with Abe in situations like that - Abe can take the hits with D Stance and the revenge Assault will give you an extra attack each round.

I'm assuming Sasha's trait would also work with Revenge attacks, is that correct?

jimmorrison369
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 3,179
    Yes it does, I had my assault charge up on the first turn almost every time on fish in a barrell last week due to revenge. Also, when it triggers when a walker hits a freeman it usually hits them both if you're close enough which I find quite handy. It's a great assault trait IMO which has become more valuable with the introduction of badges.
    David_H79
  • mobbiemobbie Member Posts: 154
    Should give me 1k of shooters and assault
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    Movado said:

We really need a

Button!

Can we swap disagree with this?
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia