Badge Crafting Cook Book

First off: I love the idea of collecting and crafting Badges to help enhance and customize your Survivors. However, the mystery and randomness of the current system seems to leave a lot of players dissatisfied, myself included.

The Components seem to come rarely, and Badge Fragments even more so — especially higher-level Components and Fragments. Then, when you finally DO get Fragments to work with, you arbitrarily add Components together for a completely random Badge, which tends to be of lesser quality than the Components you put in. It's a complete guessing game that typically makes me feel like I'm throwing away my hard-earned Components and Fragments.

So, I think the obvious solution would be a Cook Book of sorts — either in-game or online. Or at least some explanation as to what the different types of Components contribute to the final Badge. There MUST be a reason for the variety of types (cloth, metal, chemical, etc.), otherwise why have them? Why are we forced to "figure it out" as a community by wasting our time and money by creating random crap until someone finds the formula?

I've also seen suggestions regarding trading Badges for higher-level Badges. I'd like to second that idea. I have a lot of low-level Components that I can't sell or get rid of. I can either let them pile up, spend Goods to craft Badges that I will have no use for and let them will pile up, or I sell the useless Badges - essentially trading Goods for Experience. Being able to trade Components or Badges for higher-level items would be great. Especially when players are unable to obtain higher-level Components and Fragments which seem to only come from completing The Distance, or buying them with Gold.

I hope this happens soon, or that someone has some insight as to what the affects different Components do. Until then, I feel crafting is just a waste of good Components and Fragments for random Badges.
black_ninesGrimes0688PutchucoCarlysligoemmsrebeccaTimberBrassBDakaminGhastlyPleasures707EmeraldTriangleCAHEKlolThe_Overcomeranthony172Standstill84

Comments

• Grimes0688Grimes0688 Member Posts: 10
    Yeah I agree the badge system nice addition to game . However be nice to have a little more information on it as to what you are getting instead of the guessing system of it now .

I'd like to see an addition to the game that gives you a preview of the overall for training survivors , weapons , armour , and crafting badges . Then allows us to decide do you want to spend the resources on this survivor , equipment, or badges or use it on someone else or wait until later on .

Love to see them give the option to instead of scraping the weapons and armor to turn those onto crafting components to . As again if in this world of the walking dead repurposing items is a must to survive in it to .
    Phalanx44The_Overcomer
  • sicBryansicBryan Member Posts: 16
    The idea of scrapping Weapons and Armor into Components is a nice idea, reminds me of Fallout Shelter. Though, I wouldn't want Components and Fragments to get TOO easy to obtain. Then everyone will go Badge crazy and create super survivors with massive upgrades.
    GuitarJane
  • bigmacbigmac Member Posts: 131
    What would be wrong with that?
  • Cefr0Cefr0 Member Posts: 8
    High cost trade ins could make this work perhaps increasing with rarity. So maybe 5 commons for 1 uncommon. 10 UCs for 1 rare 10 rares for an epic. 20 epics for a leg.
    BrassB707EmeraldTriangleGuitarJane
  • DakaminDakamin Member Posts: 108
    +1 for the Recipe Book, or at least each badge crafted showing what components were used to make it. I'm not going to track that outside the game, got no time for that.

+1 for Uptrading Components... I mean come on, what are we really supposed to do with the piles of uncommon components handed out in the early distance? Maybe use them to test recipes? Except with no in game tracking that's not happening so let's at least see some uptrading.
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    I am pretty sure that it is random currently.
    But in principle I believe there was the idea to have recipe type of crafting otherwise it makes no sense to offer 4 different things.
    I think they just had no time to implement it with the last update.
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    If you go into the Craftsman and tap on the "!" in the top right of the Crafting Tab, it specifically says "The Components you use will affect the Badges you create." So they can't be COMPLETELY random. Right? RIGHT?!?!?!!? Like JackBauer said, otherwise it makes no sense to offer 4 different things.

PLUS, the fact that they already have a "COMING SOON" button under "BADGES" in the Crafting Tab leads me to believe they plan on adding some explanation, recipe book, or other feature to help with Badge crafting randomness.

I certainly hope it's not all completely random. That would be horribly disappointing, especially for those who have sacrificed higher-level Components and Fragments to get random lower-level Badges with no control as to what they get.

I've decided to hold off on crafting Badges until more solid explanation has been given.
  • IRONDeeIRONDee Member Posts: 469
    I just used only fabric for 5 badges and they were all the same shape. Coincidence?
    I'm not addicted, I just have nothing better to do.
    Founder and benevolent dictator of IRONPHX
    Alt Elder in Grumpy Old Gits

• TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    @IRONDee
    What shape. I'd like to test this.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    There's another discussion thread (in General > [Data Collection] Badges) where people are pooling together data from what they've crafted with and what the outcome was. So far, it appears that there is no rhyme or reason for using the same Components to output specific Badge Sets, Traits, etc.

There are some similarities, however more data would help to create better statistics.

Even if the same Components are supposed to yield a certain Set, there still seems to be a Random factor that may give you something totally different.

OR, I don't know, NextGames could just TELL US IF THERE'S A REASON FOR THE DIFFERENT COMPONENTS instead of us wasting our time experimenting with our hard-earned Components and Fragments!

I'm not bitter...
    jimmorrison369Putchuco
  • vladiomvladiom Member Posts: 4
    Well im sure everyone figured shapes by now. How about we set up share were we can contribute input and output. Like rare badge with rare cloth cloth metal metal, and output. Like rare 15 extra damage, and shape. All in excell format. Easily done with shareable sheet.
    And then when we have data we can run some analysis. At least we figure out if it is random or not.
    vladiom said:

Well im sure everyone figured shapes by now. How about we set up share were we can contribute input and output. Like rare badge with rare cloth cloth metal metal, and output. Like rare 15 extra damage, and shape. All in excell format. Easily done with shareable sheet.

What do you mean "everyone figured shapes by now"? Has someone released info regarding what Components have a better chance for certain shapes?
  • SmokeandMirrorsSmokeandMirrors Member Posts: 357
    @vladiom We can control the shapes? I need that information. Tell me all your secrets!
    Negative. I ment we all see the shapes. Imo stars are more related to cloth, but more gold more chance you get cross shape. Only from my experience, but i did not run exact recordings. It may be random. This is why we need detailed analysis.
  • MudMoccasinMudMoccasin Member Posts: 272
    I'm wondering what component combination would make a badge that would fit in Slot 6 with The B Badge set (shaped like Stop sign) with emphasis on increasing Damage (skull icon, that is)? Any clue?
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402

I'm wondering what component combination would make a badge that would fit in Slot 6 with The B Badge set (shaped like Stop sign) with emphasis on increasing Damage (skull icon, that is)? Any clue?

I'm told one of the @Dev team is susceptible to bribery, however sadly, I was never to,d which one. If I did know, I'd have no way to get that information to you without the rest of the @Staff or @Mods or @Dev team knowing and thus creating a smear upon that persons record.

To the best of my knowledge JayZ and DLich have the best luck.. hmmmm?

I know anthony172 would be unable to tell you, because if he knew then Andrea would already be a hero. Maybe if you could arrange a chat with Pain_Walker outside the NG community, and got him drunk, he could drop a hint?

OK, all kidding aside, it's been said "A highly regarded member of the Dev team said that while it is random, there are certain combinations that might adjust the outcome" now, I was never told the who or what, but that's all that's been said in the many 'How can I craft' type forum threads.

Sorry MudMoccasin, I don't believe anything else will ever be revealed in the forums.
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

anthony172
  • MudMoccasinMudMoccasin Member Posts: 272

I'm told one of the @Dev team is susceptible to bribery, however sadly, I was never to,d which one. If I did know, I'd have no way to get that information to you without the rest of the @Staff or @Mods or @Dev team knowing and thus creating a smear upon that persons record.

To the best of my knowledge JayZ and DLich have the best luck.. hmmmm?

I know anthony172 would be unable to tell you, because if he knew then Andrea would already be a hero. Maybe if you could arrange a chat with Pain_Walker outside the NG community, and got him drunk, he could drop a hint?

OK, all kidding aside, it's been said "A highly regarded member of the Dev team said that while it is random, there are certain combinations that might adjust the outcome" now, I was never told the who or what, but that's all that's been said in the many 'How can I craft' type forum threads.

Sorry MudMoccasin, I don't believe anything else will ever be revealed in the forums.
    :(
  • enigma12enigma12 Member Posts: 247
    I agree! There is no rhyme or reason to badge creation. Every time someone in my guild and chat gets a legendary badge I copy the exact same recipe and have never gotten a legendary badge. It’s really frustrating wasting a lot of money and effort to get a few legendary badges while others have hoards of them. I hope they change the system.
    anthony172