CEO of NG admits 27th April 2018 revenue decline due to players leaving NML

Well, they wouldn't listen to us, we warned them, and now it's official.

Chief Executive Officer Teemu Huuhtanen:
The number of active users in The Walking Dead: No Man’s Land declined which lead to a decrease in revenue. The main cause for the declined amount of active users was weakened retention of players.

Do they really think that people are going to invest in their new games and be taken for the same ride as NML, history repeats itself ...

LINK: https://www.nextgames.com/company-release/next-games-corp-business-review-q1-2018-revenue-declined-new-projects-proceeding-1524805397-4193/

nml_down
ZetteJenngMattOfEarthxbamfxBohemianbob

Comments

• TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,096
    And they still think keeping us online 24/7 grinding like actual walkers is the way to go...
    Mavericks Guild Family
    Jenng
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    edited May 2018
    "Revenue decreased during the first quarter of 2018. The largest contributor to the decrease was the
    change in daily active users (DAU) and monthly active users (MAU). The amount of monthly active users
    (MAU) declined by 37%, which also led to the decline of daily active users (DAU) by 42%. "

23% of 124 is 29 people working on NML

"The change in ARPDAU (Average revenue per daily active user) was only $0.02 in US dollars but €0.04 in
    euros. The depreciation of the US dollar had a significant impact on euro denominated sales. The biggest
    reason for the decline of the company’s euro denominated ARPDAU figure was the unfavorable exchange
    rate of the US dollar. Over half of the company’s sales is accounted for in US dollars."

How do you lose 42% of your daily active users yet only lose $.02 in US dollars of your Average revenue per daily active users?

Example (to keep the numbers low)

Suppose there are 1000 Daily Active Users... Now suppose 42% of them stopped playing... That's 420 people leaving.. and 560 remaining...

When you had those 1000 Daily Active Users, let's suppose NG made $1 per day from each... Their "ARPDAU" would be $1.00.

But if there are only 580 left (because 42% left or "decline of daily active users") and the change in ARPDAU was only $.02... then you have 560 people giving an average daily income of $.98

1000 people x $1 ARPDAU = $1,000 Daily
    580 people x $.98 ARPDAU = $568.40 Daily

This shows how the ARPDAU can be lowered by only $.02 yet the income decreases by 43%. This shows me (in example) that 42% of the players that left made up 43% of the income so it's not the "whale's" leaving but still a decline in revenue is never good.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    romeoGovernatorBohemianbob
  • The_OvercomerThe_Overcomer Member Posts: 182
    @DLich Just to let you know over time I've spend over $1,000 AUD... I stopped counting at $500 AUD and that was a year ago before December specials etc .... I thought that would have classified me as a Whale Player honestly ... I could be wrong ...
    Governatorbigbeano
    Gud said:

So NML will meet the same destiny as it sister game, Compass Point West.

NG aren't nice to their coustomers.... :(

You are so right. I have started playing Our World BUT I am not spending the money on it... I'll play it as the new pokemon go and be a FTP player... So far its pretty good... The reason I wont spend Our World is lessons learned from NML, once bitten twice shy...
    GudromeoSPC_TORRESGobold69
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,369
    DLich said:

This shows how the ARPDAU can be lowered by only $.02 yet the income decreases by 43%. This shows me (in example) that 42% of the players that left made up 43% of the income so it's not the "whale's" leaving but still a decline in revenue is never good.

Dammit @DLich, I still had to scan, errr read to the bottom to get your topic sentence.

I 100% agree with your conclusion that the data shows that they are losing people shortly after they pick up the game and it doesn't represent a huge turnover of heavy spenders. However, if you lose a player after only a few weeks, you lose the change to convert that person into an end gamer and heavy spender. Losing that potential revenue is what really hurts the bottom line.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

DLichromeoMattOfEarth
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526

@DLich Just to let you know over time I've spend over $1,000 AUD... I stopped counting at $500 AUD and that was a year ago before December specials etc .... I thought that would have classified me as a Whale Player honestly ... I could be wrong ...

I mean it could be some whales leaving. My math uses average. It's assuming that the 42% that played all spent an average of $1 daily. It's more realistic that maybe of that 42% only 10% were actual paying customers and the other 32% were just active players yet not spenders.

Using my math above...

1000 people x $1 ARPDAU = $1,000 Daily
    580 people x $.98 ARPDAU = $568.40 Daily

those 420 people who caused the decline of $431.60... it's probably more realistic that of those 420 people about 3/4 of them didn't spend any money. I don't know the metrics of this game comparing the percentage of players who don't spend a time vs those that do.

420 people could easily be...
    --- 315 who stopped playing daily and spend $0
    --- 105 who stopped playing daily and spend $431.60 daily ($4.11 ARPDAU from these players / $1,500 a year)

Without knowing what percentage of players are F2P compared to those that are P2P it's impossible to determine if it's whales leaving or just players in general. I'm sure NG knows though :wink:

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    The_OvercomerromeoSPC_TORRES
    Bill_ZRT said:

DLich said:

Dammit @DLich, I still had to scan, errr read to the bottom to get your topic sentence.

I 100% agree with your conclusion that the data shows that they are losing people shortly after they pick up the game and it doesn't represent a huge turnover of heavy spenders. However, if you lose a player after only a few weeks, you lose the change to convert that person into an end gamer and heavy spender. Losing that potential revenue is what really hurts the bottom line.
    Agreed. I have played for about 2 years now... I also stopped for 6 months after they Nerfed outposts really badly and made them a walk in the park after all my months of hard work .. down the tube.. :(.
  • JeemPedJeemPed Member Posts: 155
    Crickets....all I hear is crickets from people who should be addressing this post.
    Danski_46Gobold69
  • warlordfwarlordf Member Posts: 220
    although i really enjoy this game, its something most of us are used and problably in a few years we are complaining of the same in another game forum, but for me i still enjoy the game and i will continue playing.
    Jenng
  • PicPic Member Posts: 693
    Pay attention to NML geez LA Weez =(
    Jenngbigbeano
  • kkatsukkatsu Member Posts: 140
    nadecir said:

They don't realize that if they would have done more to keep the loyal players of NML satisfied, they would be much more likely to pick up one of their new games too.

Thats just straight to the point. Im still playing NML a lot however I know that I will never pick up any future NG game. Too much of negative stuff from my perspective as a player - poor customer support, not caring about our voice, not fixing annoying bugs, keeping us in the dark with plans and roadmap, we have no clue what direction this game is heading. And our biggest problem recently - the grind was fixed by, guess what, the grind. Well done. Kaz is the only bright spot but obviously they keep him by the balls as well so he cannot share much with us.

CaptainslayerR2runfastMischa
  • thisdoesfinethisdoesfine Member Posts: 360
    Stuff is too expensive for me. I've bought a couple gas boosters and once a gasand xp combo. As for anything over a couple $$, not for me. I'd spend a little to always unlock 6 chests instead if having to watch ads, that would be my biggest drop in $$. I'm not a whale, my income doesn't allow for that. I'm not poor, either. NG could be getting more out of me. I'll likely never buy any in game gear, it's obsolete too fast. That's always been my standpoint in video games with gear relative to a particular level.

As for my retention, I still enjoy playing.

I do not see a draw for new players with an important aspect of the game (badges) held for a considerable amount of grinding.

Hopefully NG figures out some good changes to keep people. Our guild has some awesome players getting 1500+ stars, I'd hate to see them go :)
    JadenR2runfast
  • GudGud Member Posts: 174
    I having problem to let the ugly step sisters hand to go..... :D
    Governatorbigbeano