What badges are better.

Not sure what is better to have a 15% critical damage or a 12% damage. Any thoughts on which badges in general are better to have would be appreciated.

Comments

• TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    They are two different things.

Damage increases your damage always.

Critical Damage increases only when it's a critical hit. (From my understanding)

I like to see Damage badges as I find more use for them, they are useful for most classes. Critical Damage badges are useful for scouts, warriors and shooters mainly. (IMO)
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
  • Runners_0648Runners_0648 Member Posts: 58
    Most of my toons are packing 3 damage and 3 critical damage badges. That's my favorite cocktail so to speak. If they have defensive stance then I stack damage reduction. Bruisers use health badges and no one is sporting critical chance
    WiushiPic
  • warlordfwarlordf Member Posts: 220
    @TJS i think you mean hunters since hunters charged is always critical like scouts and shooters no?
    TJSBoukephalos
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 3,004
    edited May 2018
    If I was forced to pick between the two I'd go for the damage one. I'd rather have something that works all the time than something that works some of the time. Same argument for iron skin vs dodge, I'd rather have 15% damage reduction all the time than 15% chance to dodge.

But, it's better if you can have both.
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    I wouldn't consider adding a crit badge to a toon unless I'd run out of damage badges or had filled the maximum 3 damage slots; @TJS 's reasoning is valid.
    TJS
  • svhortysvhorty Member Posts: 19
    Thanks all good points. Any more thoughts on best combinations.
  • nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 271
    Damage badges are blunted in effectiveness by body shots at very high levels. Critical damage, however, is very important at very high levels.

Damage badges are overrated. They add damage when you really don't need it at easier levels. It is fairly easy to add damage with survivor traits, weapons, and even ruthless on armor. Add in the weekly class bonuses for even another place to add damage.

Critical damage badges for classes with guaranteed critical hits on charge attacks help you get further in the challenges, and help in The Distance too.
    Boukephalos
  • CBgaming1969CBgaming1969 Member Posts: 1,359
    Complete disagree @nadecir while both have advantages damage badges contribute to your toons critical damage while critical damages badges don't contribute anything to your normal damage.

If you have to pick one over the other always go damage before critical damage...luckily you have 6 slots, so if possible you can use both damage and critical damage.

As @TJS pointed out above as well as other mathematical gamers like @jimmorrison369, @DLich , @OneLessTitan and others in previous post damage badges contribute always.

@svhorty Both have their usage and that's very important to keep in mind.
    MattOfEarthTJSBoukephalosaquila
  • The_JerThe_Jer Member Posts: 293
    edited May 2018
    Echoing @CBgaming1969 here - Based on the experimentation of several forum members, it seems that % Damage Badges are applied last, and will boost all other damage/critical damage modifiers, whether they are badges, survivor traits or weapon traits. And since they boost all hits - whether they are body-shots, normal hits or critical hits - my preference is always to apply a %Damage badge before a Critical Damage badge.

Here is a comparison of the 12% Damage vs. 15% Crit Damage, based on the order of application of damage/crit damage modifiers @jimmorrison369 came up with with assistance from others. No other modifiers are taken into account

Critical Damage = ((Base Damage*(1+Strong/marksman+HeroBoost)+Weapon*(1+Lethal))*(1+ClassCritBoost +CritB%+Destructive)*(1+RuthlesS+RuthlessA)*(1+PowerStrike)*(1+Charging) + FlatDamBadge+FlatCritBadge)*(1+DamBadge%)

As you can see, both badges result in the same critical damage, while the damage badge increases normal damage as well.
    Note that the numbers are fixed, but there is always some variability, somewhere around +/- 20% I think. The fixed numbers are useful for comparison
    CBgaming1969TJSmack22aquila
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    edited May 2018
    Yes, regular damage boosts critical damage. Critical damage doesn't (boost regular damage). So when it is the same percentage. Regular damage is always better.

Also take note, having gold destructive is instantly a better boost to critical than 3 epic critical damage badges!

Lastly, a critical flat damage doesn't get boosted by critical damage%, but is boosted by regular %damage boost.
    CBgaming1969TJSjimmydawiseromeo
    Thanks for that gold destructive info @jimmorrison369
    romeo
  • mik81mik81 Member Posts: 360
    edited May 2018
    But on the same quality tier (legendary, epic, etc...) a Critical damage has a better % than a % Damage, usually if you have a 12% damage, you can have a 17% crit damage badge.

Body shoots are really lowering your damage per turn on high RSL, what makes the difference at those levels are charge attacks and charge attacks that are critical. That is really what boosts your damage per turn and explains why Sasha is so good at that level. So if we can agree that charge attacks and critical charge attacks are better than 2-3 regular attacks (body shoot) then adding critical damage isn't a bad idea, because you will be probably basing your strategy and your win conditions on crit attacks. Sometimes you can't get destructive on that weapon, or you move and you can't use your power strike... critical badges are easy to get and are always there.

It is not as simple as damage is better than critical... or vice versa. But without crit attacks you can really finish high lvl maps, RSL +8, etc...

I find that many players just try to stack damage without balancing any other aspect of the game, and I'd think that is a mistake, because of that, on my humble opinion damage is a bit overate in this game.
  • The_JerThe_Jer Member Posts: 293
    @mik81 I would agree that in high levels, charged crits are the desired shot. And anything to increase that damage is good. The difference between %Damage badges and % Critical Damage badges is that the % Damage badge will boost both normal AND critical damage, while % Critical Damage badges only increase critical damage. And if you have equal value % Damage badge and % Critical Damage badge, the % Damage badge will give higher critical damage
    CBgaming1969
  • mik81mik81 Member Posts: 360
    Oh yeah on equal %... but that's apple vs oranges...

Having equal % in both means that the damage one is leg, and the critical dmg is epic. On equal tiers they should not be same %
    In general my epic badges for damage are 12% my crit damages are 17%.

@mik81 what has been said or at the very least is trying to be said is that a lower % damage badge is still better than a slightly higher critical damage badge as the damage % badge is added last.

I try not to think about all the mathematics myself and just take the overall picture from the true math people.

Ultimately you would want both damage and critical damage badges on at least and especially your hunters, shooters and scouts for their guarentee critical hits, but if you have to decide between the 2...the damage % badge even if slightly lower percent is still better than the critical damage badge is at all levels.

Both is the better option if you can...
    And the reason the critical damage badges you get are a higher percentage than damage badges you get is because NG knows damage % is better than critical damage % @mik81
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    @mik81 . You are right about crit badges being higher %. But don't forget that a crit damage boost is part of a couple of other boosts.

So if f.e. your crit damage is already 150% of regular damage (class crit hunter + normal100%) then adding 17% is 167%. While the damage% of 12% will make it 150*1.12=168%

Relative to the already present critical damage boost, crit dam% has diminished value when compared to regular damage.
    CBgaming1969
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    If they were to keep the current body shot reduction into next update, crit chance badges would be viable on more classes
  • Gomose_WGomose_W Member Posts: 34
    Damage+Damage Reduction is the best badge plan.
    Damage rate badges are useless for fighting high level walkers.

3%D+3DR best for Lv.24 players.

3%D+2DR+1HP is even better,if you can reach 80%DR with just 2DR badges~
  • svhortysvhorty Member Posts: 19
    From all of this I take damage and critical damage combined with damage reduction would be the best way to go in higher levels. What I don’t see is anybody keeping health badges. Do you just work them in if you have an open slot or ignore them altogether? Thanks again for all the great information.
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    CBgaming1969
    Use your health badges on your main challenge team and save your damage reduction badges for your higher difficulty teams...

If like me, you are limited on damage reduction badges and have almost abundant health badges.

Badges are kind of like gear. With 6 slots your man challenge range team could have at damage, damage, health, health, critical damage, critical chance...
    It would be good for your farming leaders like Gov, Maggie and Glenn just like 40% training gear.

For higher levels you would probably want a different trait to replace training gear just like you would probably want damage, damage, health, health, critical damage, critical damage, damage reduction...

Try WordPress.com TWD NML for great hints and tips about all gameplay @svhorty and try and put the most help badges for each particular hero/survivor...each and every type of badge has it's usage...

Always decide if you want a well balanced toon, a meat shield, a super Walker killer, etc..they all have usage and I have them all...my main challenge team is well balanced with the rest made for certain missions...

Happy Walker killing!!!