Was the gamble worth it?

I gambled on this guy and got a pretty good set of traits. I think this Scout is worth taking to two pink stars, but wanted to get other people's thoughts. All of my melee characters have had the same set of traits (Lucky/Dodge/Iron Skin/Strong/Retaliate), so this would be somewhat different from my previous melee survivors.

Here is my current best Scout. I could also save tokens and get her to 3 pink stars...

Proud member of Mavericks OG, a top 3 global GW and challenge guild.
Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSePrANMyf_S_YKJyfJodg
Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium

Comments

• TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    I like his hat :#

I'm no expert on scouts @JayZ but looks like he'd make a good defensive scout.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    JayZJaden
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,712
    The part I'm struggling with is this: I think he has a good set of traits, but I'm struggling to see how they would all work together.

For example, I think this guy will do a crazy amount of crit damage on a stationary attack (I have a legendary level 24 Scout blade with Swift Strike/Charging/Destructive). However, if I use him as a defensive Scout, Retaliate is useless if I am going to use overwatch a lot.

Also, I only NEED to do 60k+ damage on challenge RSL32+ against fatties. But even with the 80% damage reduction from Defensive Stance + double Iron Skin, there's still the chance for him to get into a struggle before I can even launch a charged attack.

In my mind, Strong and Lucky could be more useful traits than some of the traits I currently have. But unicorns are hard to come across. so I wonder if this is my next best option...

I do think that this Scout would be amazing with a legendary Pitchfork because I could overwatch and stay out of range, but I don't want to have to buy a weapon for a survivor to be useful...
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 3,000
    edited May 2018
    It depends how you play really. I have an 8* scout with the same traits as your 7* which I love but I wanted something a little different. I have a 6* scout with similar traits to Tommy only lucky in place of iron skin and strong in place of ruthless, Tommy is better obviously due to ruthless/iron skin but I just don't find myself using her because I can't 'make' myself play a certain way. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

He does have a very nice set of traits though so I can understand your dilemma! You mention overwatch/retaliate not being compatible but what I will say is, why do you have to use every trait in every turn? I have defensive stance on my 8* shooter, not ideal but it's a nice trait to have in your back pocket. You can always use Tommy aggressively as ruthless, iron skin and retaliate allow you but know that you have powerstrike/DS there if the situation arises :smile:
    JayZTHCrossekimhclew
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,712
    edited May 2018
    WellyLuga said:

You mention overwatch/retaliate not being compatible but what I will say is, why do you have to use every trait in every turn? I have defensive stance on my 8* shooter, not ideal but it's a nice trait to have in your back pocket. You can always use Tommy aggressively as ruthless, iron skin and ruthless allow you but know that you have powerstrike/DS there if the situation arises :smile:

That's actually great advice, thanks!

The only other thing I wonder is how much I'm really going to miss having Strong as a trait. The crit damage on this guy will undeniably be awesome, but I wonder how much I'm going to miss that damage boost when I'm using this Scout as a Threat Reduction Scout and I just need a high base damage (or perhaps the answer is that this shouldn't be a Threat Reduction Scout).

WellyLuga
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 3,000
    There's a thread on the forum somewhere which I came across which undermined the importance of strong/marksman. I can't remember whether it was the work of @jimmorrison369 or @OneLessTitan but basically it detailed how 15% strong/marksman was actually only a 6% boost to damage. I'm not massively good with maths but assuming you had the same quality badges as your main scout it should only be about 500-600 less. You could always find a weapon with silver/gold lethal to make up the difference.
  • DBonesDBones Member Posts: 800
    I think Tommy is a bad ass. If he had strong instead of retaliate, he would be EXACTLY the unicorn scout I have been waiting on. Retaliate used to be a must-have for me on melee, but the more I think about it, the less valuable I think it is. If it worked with overwatch, then yes, it would remain must-have, but as is, I think I've given it way too much value over the years (god, has it really been "years" playing this game??? Haha). Still, I like Tommy a lot. He's a keeper, imo.
    Board-certified slayer of the dead
    Proud elder of Dead Stalkers
  • mik81mik81 Member Posts: 360
    He could do good with the pitchfork too since you could use power strike more.
    JayZ
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    edited May 2018
    WellyLuga said:

There's a thread on the forum somewhere which I came across which undermined the importance of strong/marksman. I can't remember whether it was the work of @jimmorrison369 or @OneLessTitan but basically it detailed how 15% strong/marksman was actually only a 6% boost to damage. I'm not massively good with maths but assuming you had the same quality badges as your main scout it should only be about 500-600 less. You could always find a weapon with silver/gold lethal to make up the difference.

Strong and Marksman only multiply the survivor base damage and don't affect the weapon damage. For most classes, the base damage of even a 10-star survivor is a little less than the damage of the best weapon they could carry (an epic weapon upgraded to 3 levels higher). Which more than halves the actual effect of strong/marksman, because it's only applying to half the total damage.

That said, because they are the very first multipliers applied, before even the hero boosts, the damage added by strong/marksman is then potentially multiplied several times by hero boost, ruthless, damage % badges, landing a critical hit etc.

So working out the actual value can be head-hurting.

• ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    Not to try to feed words down @WellyLuga or @Boukephalos's throat, however it has been a while since I had to force feed someone who refused food, I believe the #'s that are in debate whenever it comes to Strong, Marksman, Lethal are best read by the individual and decided upon for your self. I know it seems to be near 50/50 if a survey was done on if it's a must or not.

@OneLessTitan has documented it to a point that my head pops when reading all the numbers. You can find it here:
    https://twdnomansland.wordpress.com/marksman-strong-lethal/

I know some people prefer it, while others don't want it saying the difference is easily made up for in weapons/armor/badges.

I simply wanted to add the reference once more so it could be found again easily.

#marksman #strong

Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

• JerryDixonJerryDixon Member Posts: 387
    @JayZ without lucky trait on survivor I don’t think you get the 100% TR. Need lucky on survivor and on weapon.
    Jerry Dixon
    JSS
    romeo