Goldrush?

UndertakerUndertaker Member Posts: 203
If I wouldn´t had read the ingame notification I would not notice any difference.

Ok, I see a second buying option for 300 gold on the legendary box and higher amounts of gold in the selling bundles.

But thats it. Not more gold in crates, not more gold crates.

Good for me. That means some extended time in the sunshine. At last something golden :)

Comments

• Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    edited May 2018
    The event has only been live for 7 hours. How many crates have you opened so far? Have you ever heard of standard deviation before and the term statisticaly significant?
    anthony172
  • UndertakerUndertaker Member Posts: 203
    Shut_Up said:

How many crates have you opened so far?

Quite a lot. Playing since 7 hours and opened extra boxes with gold out of curiosity.
    DrUnpleasant
    edited May 2018
    I had to take statistics for my college major and I was like wow why the hell do I need this. It was to teach me that in order for something to be statistically significant it must be conducted over a large number of events over and over and over to develope a large sample size and then cover several standard deviations before one could make appropriate determinations from a set of data.

Before complaining about the weekend event and saying you don't seee any statistically significant improvement over not having the event, you would need to open hundreds of crate and not "quite a lot." NG deserves lots of criticism most of the time but I don't think you should poo poo on the event after just 7 hours. That's not very reasonable.
    DLichDBonesbigbeanoMattOfEarth
  • ALF4realsALF4reals Content Creator Posts: 288
    @Shut_Up taking a page out of the @DLich playbook
    Trust in NG *rubs ears* woo-sahhh

If you like my videos why not check them out on the YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJNZhPyxCp36-ctXh7CHUvg?view_as=subscriber
    DLich
  • DrunkenDrunken Member Posts: 1,357
    @Shut_Up

If this person has claimed to have played 7 straight hours like claimed and lets say 3 minute average per mission and 3 crates per mission then you are looking at 420 crates opened. So that would be a significant number and would give a basis given these odds that NG uses are based on 100.....

Now that being said it is all dependent if they have truly played 7 plus hours. I have done countless hours on events before and ran statistics on what I found. I did it when the odds first came out. I opened 100 gold crates and wrote down what items I received all from scavenge. I found that it was close enough to what NG claims.

But your point "It was to teach me that in order for something to be statistically significant it must be conducted over a large number of events over and over and over to develope a large sample size and then cover several standard deviations before one could make appropriate determinations from a set of data." is not correct or maybe its just worded wrong. Any sample size has significant value, but the larger the population base then the more accurate the data is. If he only opens 10 crates then there is a huge variance, but if he opens 100 its smaller 1000 even smaller yet.

I have taken stats at the undergrad and Masters level, and on a DoD program along with numerous other data driven courses. Never discredit any number :)
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    edited May 2018
    @Drunken last week someone on the NML Facebook page claimed to have gotten 1600+ radio's in 24 hours. That's a rate of 70 radio's per hour (more than 1 a minute).

Just as that's highly unlikely (person claiming refused to provide screen shots)
    Drunken said:

@Shut_Up

Any sample size has significant value, but the larger the population base then the more accurate the data is. If he only opens 10 crates then there is a huge variance, but if he opens 100 its smaller 1000 even smaller yet.

I have taken stats at the undergrad and Masters level, and on a DoD program along with numerous other data driven courses. Never discredit any number :)

I agree not to discredit numbers and it's completely true... "Any sample size has significant value"... If 100 people commented their findings and of those 100;
    --- 65 said they played 10 minutes and found it 20% of the time
    --- 35 said they played 7 hours and found it 4% of the time

One would infer that if 10 minutes of playing found 20% that that trend would continue (which it may or may not)

I don't know what's going on but I wanted to interject myself into this conversation somehow lol.

Any sample size has significant value but it's important to get various sample sizes as well as various samples of each size.

I guess size does matter..

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    MattOfEarthmack22
    edited May 2018
    Smh @drunken. I guess you don't understand a quick overview versus a technical definition. I wasn't going for textbook definitions as I'm not a statistics professor.

Some people just like to complain and there's nothing you can do. If they don't get 25 gold after every mission then some people will think the weekend event is a disaster.
    DrunkenMattOfEarth
    Shut_Up said:

Some people just like to complain and there's nothing you can do. If they don't get 25 gold after every mission then some people will think the weekend event is a disaster.

Well...one single crate with 25 gold would had give me another view.

Regards, the complainer
    1Risbigbeano
    @Shut_Up

I guess you don't understand what stats is because you took an associates level course at some college as part of your major.... You aim to displace a poster because of "your" mass experience with stats from that course. While I was just kindly pointing out if you are gonna attempt to drop info like that you should understand from that stats course that all numbers are important and play a roll.

Again if the OP is telling the truth that he has played 7 hours then he has opened more than enough crates to see a major variance.

btw statistically significant is taught at college level to be any set of numbers with the variance becoming less the greater the #
    edited May 2018
    @Drunken No need for you to attack me but your conclusions about my post are wrong. I never said number don't matter. If people want to complain about the gold rush then they can go right ahead. I'm not here to stop them or tell them they're wrong. I complain but I usually give it more than 7 hours.

There is a little i on the crate opening screen that tells you the chance of getting gold and the amount. If they arent happy with the percentages listed as required then let them complain til their fingers are bleeding from typing all the complaints.
    anthony172
    Shut_Up said:

Smh @drunken. I guess you don't understand a quick overview versus a technical definition. I wasn't going for textbook definitions as I'm not a statistics professor.

I didn't attack I just replicated what you had already said.

"I had to take statistics for my college major and I was like wow why the hell do I need this. It was to teach me that in order for something to be statistically significant it must be conducted over a large number of events over and over and over to develope a large sample size and then cover several standard deviations before one could make appropriate determinations from a set of data.

Before complaining about the weekend event and saying you don't seee any statistically significant improvement over not having the event, you would need to open hundreds of crate and not "quite a lot." NG deserves lots of criticism most of the time but I don't think you should poo poo on the event after just 7 hours. That's not very reasonable. "

There is your original post where you said you need to open hundreds of crates to see any statistically significant improvement. Which isn't accurate that was all my point was :)

edited May 2018

I'm not getting any more gold (circa 140 boxes opened) but XP seems strangely more plentiful.

Same here. Up to now I just spent gold to see whats inside the silver boxes. Surprise, surprise. No gold but XP.

The info icon on the gold crates content says there is a 3% chance to get 25 gold out of a box. Well, this is near to nothing.
  • DrUnpleasantDrUnpleasant Member Posts: 573
    > @Undertaker said:
    > I'm not getting any more gold (circa 140 boxes opened) but XP seems strangely more plentiful.
    >
    > Same here. Up to now I just spent gold to see whats inside the silver boxes. Surprise, surprise. No gold but XP.
    >
    > The info icon on the gold crates content says there is a 3% chance to get 25 gold out of a box. Well, this is near to nothing.

Yeah, I also spent gold to open up gold creates - I currently have less gold than before the gold rush ^^
    Undertaker

I currently have less gold than before the gold rush ^^

I´d guess, that was the idea behind the event :D
  • titustitus Member Posts: 92
    These "statistic guys" said the same thing on opening day of the last radio event and we all know how that turned out. lol p.s I still love you guys! : )
    UndertakerPic
  • Starr621Starr621 Member Posts: 108
    edited May 2018
    I really need to start collecting data for myself. Playing so many of these kinds of mobile games, I usually trust the odds and only really collect data when my luck begins to turn sour. I think I will start mass collecting data on Tuesdays and Saturdays which is when I mainly play the game.

So far I've only done 5 missions during the gold event and have gotten a combined 2 silver crates and 0 gold crates on the board. Not a good start but I'll keep track.

"Any sample size has significant value, but the larger the population base then the more accurate the data is."
    As a fellow statistican myself, I can confirm what Drunken said is infact true.
    TatdJdmSilent2015
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,966
    I was feeling lucky about getting so much gold crates. Then I found out it was an event...
    Not a very exciting one, not sure about how to rate it opposed to "jokepot". In any case no reason to complain, need the ying to yang.
    bigbeano
    @jimmorrison369

I am the LIZARD KING

just watched the doors last night
    jimmorrison369
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,064
    I think the idea of this event is interesting, but the timing is poor. I don't need any gear right now, since it's been a long time since the last council upgrade and I've already got all of the level 27 gear I need. I'm certainly not going to waste TG (much less gold) buying new items that I don't need, that will likely be redundant before the end of the summer.

And the heros I want to upgrade are almost never in the TG shop, so that's pretty useless too.

I think I am seeing more gold in crates, but it's hard to say.

Anyhow, my feedback to NG is that the idea is interesting, but would be much more useful after the next council upgrade (whenever that may be).
    BttlOpener
  • ninewalkersninewalkers Member Posts: 80
    So far.....the "gold" event looks just like last weeks super duper phone event. One phone here one phone there. Im not seeing much in the way of collecting gold bars. I could care less about gold crates. Seldom get anything of use from those anyway. Not unless you consider dozens of legendary scout and bruiser armor a "prize"
    Its gotten to the point where even those get scrapped now. So far since early am friday....... the gold event looks lame like the phone event.
    anthony172UndertakerKyrus
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    Leave the event alone!

I've gotten more phones this week than I have in the last 2 weeks prior combined. Love the gold rush!
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

CBgaming1969titusbigbeanodeb1hdUndertakeranthony172
  • mik81mik81 Member Posts: 360
    I personally won't miss this event if don't have it ever again
    UndertakerbigbeanoGovernator
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    I love how @titus disagrees with a factual statement. Just like so many others. How can you disagree with my personal experience. Guess I should just willynilly all the statements made anytime to see how many I can toss as well. Mark. Get set.. Go!!!
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

mack22bigbeanoUndertaker