Definitive answer on crits vs. bodyshots

So I've been pushing much further in challenges the past couple of weeks, and it has transformed a lot of my thought processes on game mechanics, traits, strategies, etc. The one thing that has me perplexed is the interplay between bodyshots and critical hits (particularly at high levels), and I can't seem to find any definitive answers on this. @Kaz, if we could get a definitive answer on this issue, it would be an enormous help (and if we have already gotten a definitive answer in the past, then I apologize for not being able to find it, and creating a new thread on it).

For purposes of this discussion, I want to focus only on the highest level maps, where bodyshots are "100%." I also do not want to bring piercing or charged critical attacks into this discussion - just straight up critical vs. bodyshots.

Basically, what I want to know is, do critical hits cancel out body shots? In other words, let's say I go to attack an enemy that would be a 100% bodyshot, but my attack roll happens to give me a critical hit. Does that then result in a normal hit against that enemy? This has always been my understanding, but I've heard conflicting points of view on it.

The reason I ask is because if I am wrong, and 100% bodyshot means 100% bodyshot (again, not taking into account piercing or charge attacks), then I would think that crit chance badges, as well as sure shot trait, are totally useless at the highest levels. Crit chance badges are the least desirable badges anyway, in my opinion, but I've always considered sure shot a highly desirable ranged trait, and now I'm second-guessing that. On the other hand, if I'm right, then higher crit chance can certainly be useful at the highest levels, particularly on melee.

The answer to this question can make a massive difference in how players like myself build their teams, so it would be pretty awesome if we could get confirmation. Thanks in advance to all who reply (hopefully, including @Kaz ;) ).
Board-certified slayer of the dead
Proud elder of Dead Stalkers
I_Am_Psychobladgier

Comments

• mik81mik81 Member Posts: 360
    Body shots cancel critical chances
    jimmorrison369Troublemaker
  • DBonesDBones Member Posts: 800
    mik81 said:

Body shots cancel critical chances

Has this been definitively confirmed anywhere?

Also, assuming this is correct, does that mean that the would-be critical hit becomes a normal hit, or does it remain a bodyshot? THIS is really the big issue for me. Again, if 100% bodyshot means 100% bodyshot, then crit chance badges and sure shot trait are worthless at higher levels - anyone disagree with this?
    Timboski
    I'm sure it's been confirmed somewhere else, I remember reading it. But if you pay close attention you can see it... every time you get the body shoots floating text, you will get a reduced attack. You just don't roll for critical chances and your normal attack is reduced its damage.

Critical chances can and are still been used (not as often as other bonus) but you have a 30% chances to ignore body shots with gold piercing, and those attacks you will roll for critical chances. Same thing with charge attacks without critical attacks guaranteed (warrior, bruiser and assault)
    DBones
    Ok, I think I know enough now to confidently move ahead. Thanks guys!
    WellyLugaSCBMA
  • ricktadaricktada Member Posts: 111
    @WellyLuga - you are the stats and data geek. Love you sir...*tips hat*....
    SCBMAWellyLuga
  • zeeblackzeeblack Member Posts: 1,041
    edited June 2018
    Three years in to the game, I am clueless on this aspect.

The difference is when its a body shot, you see body shot written in the air and when there is a critical hit, you see a big critical hit written in red in the air.
    I am Black, Zee Black, Level SeVeNtY tWo with hUnDrEd ThOuSaNd sTaRs, Elder, SG Woot, oNe PoInT fIvE MiLlIoN star guild
    Shut_Upbigbeano
  • PigBenisPigBenis Member Posts: 1,050
    Not always. Body shots are still capable of killing a walker if it rolls for more damage than the walker has. Body shot damage is about half of a normal attack. When a walker dies from a body shot, no message appears.
    Black Labs Matter.
    jimmorrison369
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,157
    Bodyshot calculates first, then Critical Chance.

Critical Chance badges are useful when using Piercing weapons, and on classes whose charged attack isn't guaranteed critical - Bruiser/Warrior/Assault.
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    @Troublemaker, are bruiser/warrior/assault charge attacks guaranteed non-bodyshot?
    WellyLuga
    DBones said:

@Troublemaker, are bruiser/warrior/assault charge attacks guaranteed non-bodyshot?

Yes on charge attacks there are not body shots
    DBones
    Thanks, @mik81. Amazing how after 32 months of playing this game, I still don't know something so seemingly basic as that :#
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,157
    @DBones yes, they are guaranteed normals. Scout, Shooter and Hunter are guaranteed criticals.
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    DBones
    edited June 2018
    DBones said:

Thanks, @mik81. Amazing how after 32 months of playing this game, I still don't know something so seemingly basic as that :#

Not surprised... This game really sucks on providing good information to his player base. I'm sure that the majority of the players of the game doesn't have a clue on the very "basic" mechanics of the game. Daryl is a terrible teacher...
    DBonesJadenbigbeano
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,233
    Maybe @Mik81, but that's what the community is for. All questions get answered sooner or later.
    Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]
    Nah, community is for having beers, laughs and fun, information should be official and reliable. But you know this is a "free" product, user manual isn't mandatory on free stuff...
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,542
    I think part of the fun is finding stuff out for yourself! When I first discovered threat reduction was a glorious day. Think I was survivor level 8.
    I understand that @Firekid, I really do, I just don't enjoy learning the hard way, I'm a "soft" guy.
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,233
    If some noob clicked on this app and there's all these instructions and rules, body shot this, piercing that, yada yada... Half of em would go "ewwwww nope. Not for me."

But legit gamers will always find out the things they need to know about game mechanics. No need to scare away fresh meat.
    Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]
    KillersZ