Class Ideas: Pyro and Berserk/Sprinter

The first stems from two things. 1, TWD characters alternate guns and knives. 2, a recent episode's reference to The Wolves burning people alive...

The Pyro would begin operations as a normal melee character, but their special attack is a molotov cocktail, which ignites a circle from a distance. The most easy mechanic would be a fancy animation for a basic ranged area of attack. If possible it would be awesome if it actually created a pool of fire lasting a round or two damaging everything (even friendlies) in it.

Second idea is basically for variety... The Berserk (or Sprinter, I am unsure on names) would probably be normal melee, or even weak ranged (staff or polearm letting them strike two grid spaces away? Keep them differentiated), but their charge attack would work a bit like the Hunter's with the line of damage; only in this case they launch themselves charging through the line hitting everything. Of course with this they would need an empty end point (I doubt the mechanics could handle them landing on a zombie). Of course an advantage of the special attack would be increased movement, but at the risk of separating them from the group.

Thoughts on these ideas?

Comments

• AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    Im still waiting for the crossbowman or archer.. a long range (but not that long) that doesnt attract walkers with an exploding ammo ability that deals area damage.

• jureforjusticejureforjustice Member Posts: 270
    I like the idea of using fire, but it seems with the upcoming patch, fire might not be effective against walkers (might come at us burning us!) =S Unless it does do damage to them...?

The berserker sounds nice! However, it seems he'd need to be part of the tank group since he'd run in head first. He can't be squishy and just charge in and get killed at the end. Also, when it comes to tanks or the lack of clearing power... we know not many like them (looking at scout, bruiser, and assault).
  • SlayerSectSlayerSect Member Posts: 634
    Interesting. The sprinter could also maybe have 3 action pts. They could move open a crate?Car etc and still have a movement or two points left.

Play to Slay. Slay to live another day. Daily players. On and killing walkers as often as we can.

We need you! We want you!
  • aysatyoaysatyo Member Posts: 352
    hmmm.. i think this idea is not realistic.. i mean, there are no berserker in the tv series. no trapper or grenader that kills walkers. simply because walkers only die when shot/stab in the brain.. burning them wont kill them. as a proof, next update, there will be burning walkers. burning but still walking.. and having a staff or polearm as a weapon that can kill two walkers aligned? you should be very strong to penetrate two skulls.. just saying,,

• Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    How about an RPG
    (*Mild SPOILER ALERT*)

Now that Abraham's picked one up in the TV series.
    That'd be quite spectacular!
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
  • RagnarokRagnarok Member Posts: 32
    aysatyo said:

hmmm.. i think this idea is not realistic.. i mean, there are no berserker in the tv series. no trapper or grenader that kills walkers. simply because walkers only die when shot/stab in the brain.. burning them wont kill them. as a proof, next update, there will be burning walkers. burning but still walking.. and having a staff or polearm as a weapon that can kill two walkers aligned? you should be very strong to penetrate two skulls.. just saying,,

Speaking of realism of the game versus the show, I've also noticed in the show there is no one capable of headshotting a half dozen of them with each bullet. Nor is there anyone strong enough to strike one walker, and have all those near it be stunned by it. This game is neither about realism, nor accuracy to how zombies work on the show; it's about fun.

Regarding the lack of anyone who can run through walkers in the TV series (the bersek/sprinter special ability); I've noticed Glenn continues to be a character. He literally got buried in walkers after the prison, and literally pushed his way out through them. Plus again, it'd be fun, and not game breaking (particularly as it could solve the annoyance of someone stuck stunned in a doorway, by having a melee person who can get to the other side).

Also the staff/polearm weapon type did not even suggest killing two walkers with one blow, as much as it could be done like that. The suggestion was "letting them strike two grid spaces away," as in instead of one grid space away with a knife, they strike two grid spaces away; comparable in current mechanics to how the Shooter doesn't kill whole lines of walkers, but strikes a few spaces away.

As for this belief a few people have stated that fire would not harm zombies... Hopefully anyone who stated fire doesn't damage muscle tissue, simply misspoke. As for if it can or cannot completely kill a walker, anyone else remember various burnt up walkers on the show who were too harmed to be a continued threat? However an interesting way to handle it would be to do damage up to a percentile of health but being unable to inflict the last health point (and hopefully applying a poison effect to continue to drain health over a round or two). A more simple way way as pointed out by WastelandDan, is tossing a small bomb; there's no complexity of grid squares being temporarily trapped with fire, nor continuous burning; plus explosives have a nasty habit of breaking bone, which to the best of my knowledge is what walker skulls are made of.
    WastelandDan
  • NecroboogieNecroboogie Member Posts: 1,108
    I was thinking of new class ideas as well, but melee classes need some love first. Increase in dodge when 2 or more zombies attack them, a larger reduction in damage since tanks should be more heavly armored, or a pushback/knockback when attacked by 2 or more zombies. Tanks should also get another regular (non stunning) attack to a zombie within 180 degrees of first zombie.
    New class staff users that attack on 2 sides - either front/back, a front left/back right or vice versa setup to attack 2 walkers at once up to 4 walkers with a small angle of attack area in front and back.
  • PutchucoPutchuco Member Posts: 1,289
    Loving the 'buff' for melee units, @Necroboogie .
    Did you mean Bruiser instead of Tanks above?
    If you would like to join a drama-free and fun group of enthusiasts,
    contact us via email at [email protected]
  • JRDmanJRDman Member Posts: 60
    Pacifist: wields a pole, does no damage, but has an automatic stun for 2 turns to one target as regular attack. Special ability is to stun 1 target for 4 turns (up to 2 targets depending on weapon level)

Camouflager: instead of wearing armor, uses a blanket wrapped in walker entrails. Causes no threat even when at close proximity to walkers. Causes threat when attacking any walker. Special ability is to remove walker threat within range of this survivor.
    Ragnarok
    JRDman said:

Pacifist: wields a pole, does no damage, but has an automatic stun for 2 turns to one target as regular attack. Special ability is to stun 1 target for 4 turns (up to 2 targets depending on weapon level)

Camouflager: instead of wearing armor, uses a blanket wrapped in walker entrails. Causes no threat even when at close proximity to walkers. Causes threat when attacking any walker. Special ability is to remove walker threat within range of this survivor.

I like these ideas, however... The one problem I see with the pacifist, is that in mechanical terms there would be little point in higher level weapons (thus in people spending real money on weapon upgrades).

From TWD's chief pacifist, I'd love to see a level inspired by him locking people outside and waiting for them to die, all while he was unwilling to kill walkers (or people, even if he really did kill a lot of people).

And a human threat I'd like to see is a merging of those two concepts. A camouflaged pacifist on the map, which turns hostile with stun-only attacks if he/she sees you killing any walkers. For ease of design, likely just only responds to combat noise in general, but isn't alerted by player movement.

On that note, I am going to start a new thread for enemy design suggestions.
    Since we now have a Suggestion Forum, I've recreated and expanded this topic at: http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/693/survivor-ideas#latest
  • HattenatorHattenator Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2015
    Those are all good ideas. I would settle for a bucket of walkers guts so I can dump that on my survivors and just walk right past all the danger and never fire a shot or half to stab anything. When the going gets tuff nothing wrong with walker guts smeared everywhere.