Reflecting on the 2nd no body shot event

I realise that as I type this there is still a little time left to run on the event but whilst I could probably continue a little further, gas/healing costs are going to put a stop to the challenge. I did manage to set a new PR of 2210* reaching RSL37.2, it's been a fun challenge! I thought I would reflect on how the event changed the way we could play. Bear in mind that these are based on my own experiences and yours may differ.

- Daryl became my new go to Hero. The last time we saw this event I got 1900* but lack of crits held me back so when we got the next badge swap I made a few changes in case we saw this event again. I badged up Daryl and he sat there mostly as distance fodder, biding his time...
- Sasha took a seat on the bench. This may be obvious as her hero trait was virtually useless. I still used her in a few missions as she is my most durable hunter but she was mostly given a well needed rest.
- Crit chance badges were actually useful. As well as badging up Daryl I also put a legendary crit chance badge on my best hunter with this weekend in mind. It's mostly been an unused badge but when paired with Daryl this weekend, he absolutely destroyed.
- Bruisers were extremely good. Through watching high level challenge videos I've learned the importance of bruisers but they were extremely potent this week, getting 3* on 36.3 closing times was a highlight of this. I also failed miserably on Alexandria nights 37.1 with a hunter and 2 assaults, then got 2* with a solitary bruise using Morgan, a bruiser and a shooter w/flare gun.
- Assaults were less useful, once I got to a high enough level even though my best assault and Abe have over 7k damage they started to lack the stopping power of other classes.
- A warrior/scout with powerstrike is a beautify thing when body shots aren't a concern.
- My only other regret is that I hadn't managed to find and upgrade a decent interrupt melee weapon for my warrior or scout to play about with this.

Feel free to add your own comments and experiences if you feel! @Kaz I'm not sure what sort of discussions are going on behind the scenes regarding changing the body shot mechanics for melee or all classes but I can't help but feel something has to change. I don't want 0% body shots or anything drastic, I don't exactly know what, just something. The dependence on Sasha at high level is getting draining. The imbalance between ranged and melee is huge. Give us more viable options.
ShadowaceAzTJSDodkongI_Am_PsychoJapes87Kazbladgierjimmorrison369kamilowatyJadenAndy_bmsapaevsbfGovernatorMrsScattercushionpsychwolfKillersZJimiFaithflyingcowkingbigbeanoaquilajimmydawiseDBonesMischa

Comments

• kkatsukkatsu Member Posts: 140
    I liked the event as it allowed us to use different strategy. And I agree with the fact that something has to change to make melee teams more useful. Ranged teams are too powerful compared to melee ones on weekly basis and I was happy to use different heroes than Sasha/Abe and third range hero all the time. It\s just so boring that Sasha is basically a must, but please do not nerf her, it's not going to fix the basic of the issue here.

My only complain is start time of the event. It was known in advance it will be Sunday, which allowed some planning, but it still wasn't fair for my timezone from my perspective. Event started at 2pm Sunday my time. Usually I don't play much on Sunday evenings (family time), i cannot have sleepless night so cannot stay up long to play as I have to go to work Monday morning, and I cannot play up until 2pm on Monday as I'm working. It's very different than playing it from start of the Sunday. I understand it's all planned to fit better biggest players base but still this could have been done a bit differently. Maybe on different day or something?
    KillersZ
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    For one day only interrupt was great again!!!

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    ShadowaceAzDrUnpleasantGovernatorDBones
  • DeadheadsDeadheads Member Posts: 603
    WellyLuga said:

I realise that as I type this there is still a little time left to run on the event but whilst I could probably continue a little further, gas/healing costs are going to put a stop to the challenge. I did manage to set a new PR of 2210* reaching RSL37.2, it's been a fun challenge! I thought I would reflect on how the event changed the way we could play. Bear in mind that these are based on my own experiences and yours may differ.

2200?!? Wow, that is impressive! And I felt pretty good getting 1500. I could see the crit chance badges being useful this week, I didn't even think about swapping badges around to use mine. I'll remember that for next time. I still don't see how you got that far. It was extremely tough not to get touched on these maps and once I got to 33 it was insta-struggle for all my survivors except bruisers...

WellyLuga
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,728
    Deadheads said:

WellyLuga said:

2200?!? Wow, that is impressive! And I felt pretty good getting 1500. I could see the crit chance badges being useful this week, I didn't even think about swapping badges around to use mine. I'll remember that for next time. I still don't see how you got that far. It was extremely tough not to get touched on these maps and once I got to 33 it was insta-struggle for all my survivors except bruisers...

Yeah I wouldn't recommend changing too much about for an event that happens once every few months! But I got Daryl to 6* so thought I ought to put a decent badge set on him just in case it came up again and 1 crit chance badge on a hunter shouldn't hurt too much! With 90% crit chance, destructive, ruthless, incendiary and plenty damage/crit damage badges I was one shotting walkers up to RSL37. So it meant I didn't really take a hit on room service, knee deep, sanctuary and outbreak. Closing time and Alexandria I took along 2 bruisers to take the hits :smile:
    kamilowaty
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    Players need to plan ahead for this event, pretty much as @WellyLuga did. Otherwise badge swapping for example, would become too costly on the day.

Definitely something for people to think about when the next badge swap event comes along ;)
    Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
    JimiFaith
    WellyLuga said:

Yeah I wouldn't recommend changing too much about for an event that happens once every few months! But I got Daryl to 6* so thought I ought to put a decent badge set on him just in case it came up again and 1 crit chance badge on a hunter shouldn't hurt too much! With 90% crit chance, destructive, ruthless, incendiary and plenty damage/crit damage badges I was one shotting walkers up to RSL37. So it meant I didn't really take a hit on room service, knee deep, sanctuary and outbreak. Closing time and Alexandria I took along 2 bruisers to take the hits :smile:

What kind of damage were you doing?? My 2 pink hunter (no hero hunters to pink yet) with the flaming crossbow does about 6500, not including Merel's bonus, and I stopped being able to one shot at 32. Unless you're referring to one shot with crits. Then yes I suppose, but by the time I was charged up, I was swarmed.
    edited July 2018
    Deadheads said:

WellyLuga said:

What kind of damage were you doing?? My 2 pink hunter (no hero hunters to pink yet) with the flaming crossbow does about 6500, not including Merel's bonus, and I stopped being able to one shot at 32. Unless you're referring to one shot with crits. Then yes I suppose, but by the time I was charged up, I was swarmed.
    Yeah ~6500 with a normal hit, but ~20k with crits, 30k+ with a charge. So I didn't need to be charged to take down high level walkers, it was extremely fun and having Daryl in the team made a big difference :smile:
    WellyLuga said:

Yeah ~6500 with a normal hit, but 20-24k with crits, 30k+ with a charge. So I didn't need to be charged to take down high level walkers, it was extremely fun and having Daryl in the team made a big difference :smile:

oh, so you were getting crits on normal attacks often? I like the idea of using Daryl too... he's my closest to pink and in my outpost so I can put crit chance badges on him now just in preparation for the next time. Might do the same for Dwight/Rosita since they're in a similar situation...
    edited July 2018
    @Deadheads

Yeah, 43% from sureshot, 30% from Daryl, 20% from lucky, 22% (27% with a shooter) from a badge and then 10% inherent crit chance. So without moving I was at 90% cap and even if I had moved 4/5 hits were a crit, lucky helped with incendiary for extra damage so the walkers only started surviving a hit from RSL36 and up. Crazy :lol:
    WellyLuga said:

30% from Daryl

Where are you getting 30% from Daryl ?
    WellyLuga said:
    WHAT?!? when was the crit chance added? Been awhile since I used him and I swear last time was just the "silence" part...
    I_Am_Psychobigbeanokamilowaty
  • DrUnpleasantDrUnpleasant Member Posts: 565
    As a mid-level player (1yr, lv21 survivors, 'OK' gear) I was able to get up to around 1000 without too many issues, and could probably have managed around 1100-1200 or so if really pushing. Most weeks I do around 900ish before my survivors start hitting real issues with some maps, so happy with that. Cheers NG!
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    edited July 2018
    > @Deadheads said:
    > Here! @Deadheads
    >
    > WHAT?!? when was the crit chance added? Been awhile since I used him and I swear last time was just the "silence" part...

The day they introduced heros. He's always had both boosts in the description.

EDIT: After reading Jim Morrison's post, I indeed answered incorrectly. Daryl's hero trait started as only silent shot (June or July 2016) and was buffed a few months later (October 2016) to add the chance for a critical shot to ranged survivors when he is in the lead. He has not always had both boosts in the description. Hellfire Jim even did the work of finding he announcement threads!!!

Thank you!
    jimmorrison369
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,910
    @Shut_Up .
    Not at the beginning, but pretty soon after the introduction.
    Shut_Up
  • bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2018
    I always loved no bodyshot event.

I have used Darryl a lot too, took him out of outpost duty even badged him up as well and I have used some critical chance badges.

Sure shot/power strike was super powerful on that event.

Bruiser stuns worked well.

I haven't used interrupt because my interrupt gear is long gone scrapped.

How about removing bodyshot from melee only? Or give lower % bodyshots like 50/50
    TroublemakerCronusTimboskikamilowaty
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,201
    A good solution for the Interrupt x bodyshot problem would be to cap it like NG did with Stun Resistance.

Instead of making it bodyshot based, make it 75-80% max, so there's always a little gamble that results in players spending gold and gas to repeat missions, also filling NG's bank account.

@Kaz
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    bladgieranthony172TimboskiI_Am_Psycho

A good solution for the Interrupt x bodyshot problem would be to cap it like NG did with Stun Resistance.

Instead of making it bodyshot based, make it 75-80% max, so there's always a little gamble that results in players spending gold and gas to repeat missions, also filling NG's bank account.

@Kaz

I like that idea. Typically and skill that goes away with body shots I completely ignore. Don't need them under +5 and if they're ineffective after that whats the point of them?
    Troublemaker
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,686
    Yep was a great event again. I used to love using melee and could get to plus +6/7 with them getting through with 1 star, then I realised that Sasha was a must along with an assault. My third is always a bruiser. I can get so much further usually 1100 with level 20 survivors but.... it's not as fun. Why use a different team and struggle through with one star when I can get 3 stars or a single bruise and heal and go again. I love my warrior or should i say I used to and i did again this week. @Kaz please say this is being looked at (balancing melee without nerfing Sasha) for the next update, if you say yes and nothing materialises we won't hold it against you!
  • PicPic Member Posts: 784
    Got my daryl off the bench. Along with my max Dr bruiser. Thx for letting my daryl go hard. He sends his gratitude. He's tired of sitting in outpost waiting for the poor sob that decides to shoot him. Thx for the event two days next time! =)
    DBones
  • psychwolfpsychwolf Member Posts: 1,202
    Using a bruiser and having them actually be able stun level 31 walkers was nice.
    I_Am_PsychoWellyLugaanthony172DBones
    > @psychwolf said:
    > Using a bruiser and having them actually be able stun level 31 walkers was nice.

I agree, even if it was tweeked so it only worked half the time at high level they would still be extremely useful!
    kamilowatyDBones
  • kamilowatykamilowaty Member Posts: 148
    edited July 2018
    We should make petition with 50/50 bodyshots for melee's hehe.Imo thats perfect balance compared to ranged survivors on high levels.That should help especially warriors - least used class in general.They could be sooo valuable again ehhhh
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402

We should make petition with 50/50 bodyshots for melee's hehe.Imo thats perfect balance compared to ranged survivors on high levels.That should help especially warriors - least used class in general.They could be sooo valuable again ehhhh

I would be very happy to have this as a minimum however I'd like 25/75 if they are to become dependable.

Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia