Ultimate Challenge - Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Ozzy99Ozzy99 Member Posts: 23
    I personally liked the UC, but I a lot of my guild mates are having a harder time because of the round pass issue. I would really like to have a 2nd week of the UC to get a true feel of how it would be. Something does need to be done about the grind, and thank you @Kaz for making an effort to make these changes.
    KazZetteJayZ
  • S100200S100200 Member Posts: 97
    @Kaz

If we go back to the old system next week it will be a big wear and tear because we will have few passes.
    JadenRanger85Zette
  • ReggieGRReggieGR Member Posts: 84
    Don’t do the “no body shot” bonus again.. you’ve read how all the end gamers reached new highs, meaning they played/grinded longer. More importantly it makes Sasha’s trait moot. A lot of players have spent a lot of time upgrading Sasha, you’ve effectively taken her out of the game. If I had known you were going to do this, I could’ve leveled a different hero.

I’d give serious consideration to eliminating bonus’ altogether. Again, just makes end gamers play/grind more.
    bladgierPigBenisbigbeanolyts1985ignasI_Am_PsychoEdd8SlowMo
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,659
    My vote:

Standard Challenge Next week, and for one or two more weeks after that as well.

Then bring back the revised UC @Kaz proposed for a few weeks.

NoBody shot events, I think are fun and should continue to run every few weeks. This one was only an issue due to poor timing.

Might be fun to run a no body shot event on the last week of the next UC batch, so that if we end up returning to normal challenge after, gives us a chance to build up round passes?

My 2'cents
    Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]
    ShadowaceAzmack22Zette
  • PigBenisPigBenis Member Posts: 1,051
    What if every Sun was no body shots? That would certainly encourage 24 hr gas sales in my opinion and would allow players to quickly get stars if they were unable to do so earlier on in the week due to busy schedules, etc. Plus, @Kaz stated that he agreed that players who spend more time playing should receive greater rewards and with the new reward format at 1550 stars and above that would be a nice option for those who wanted to try for some extra hero tokens and continually push their limits. Would it ruin the challenge if no body shot Sundays were a permanent change?
    Black Labs Matter.
    Kirnasjimmorrison369ShadowaceAz
  • KirnasKirnas Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2018
    @PigBenis i can understand some people like the no-body shot sunday event.
    Personally, i dont like it very much.
    It is fun at the beginning of the sunday event, but it become a very very very long grind on the sunday...
    How many rounds can play some people with this no-body shot sunday event ?
    9+ 12+ 15+ or more rounds ?
    This would literally kill the game and would be an enormous source of burn-out if this event was available too much often.
    This sunday event dont allow us to dispatch our effort over the 5 days of the challenge, and makes absolutly mandatory to play a lot during sunday.
    Not a good solution in my opinion.
    PigBeniskkatsu
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,786
    Looking at the star counts for this week's UC and with the new target of 1550 for something better I would say that number would also need to be scaled if the new UC was implemented even without the extra heavies. (Not that I could get anywhere near that in the standard format)
    edited August 2018
    > @Kirnas said:
    > @PigBenis i can understand some people like the no-body shot sunday event.
    > Personally, i dont like it very much.
    > It is fun at the beginning of the sunday event, but it become a very very very long grind on the sunday...
    > How many rounds can play some people with this no-body shot sunday event ?
    > 9+ 12+ 15+ or more rounds ?
    > This would literally kill the game and would be an enormous source of burn-out if this event was available too much often.
    > This sunday event dont allow us to dispatch our effort over the 5 days of the challenge, and makes absolutly mandatory to play a lot during sunday.
    > Not a good solution in my opinion.

Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to play so your point about "the grind" on Sunday is irrelevant. If you don't want to play on a no body shot Sunday or any other day for that matter, then DON'T! If you committed to a guild with too high of a star count for you to handle, then that's a decision you'll have to come to terms with. I can't understand your mentality thinking that you MUST get as many stars as possible if the game has become too tedious for you.

As far as my suggestion not being a solution, I ask why not? Last week I was able to get all perfect rounds through Level 30 by Friday and I didn't play the Challenge at all on Saturday. This allowed me to focus on The Distance Saturday and go for a new personal best on Sunday. Nobody forced me to play last week, just as nobody forced me to play this week. I committed to my guild to get 750 stars each week and I stopped playing on Friday with over 1000 stars because the challenge became too boring waiting for healing times.

Using your logic, you are also likely against increased component drops or radios in post mission crates during event weekends because you are forced to grind to get these items?
    Black Labs Matter.
    ShadowaceAzbigbeano
  • KirnasKirnas Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2018
    I understand what you are saying.
    But try to understand what it would mean for a high competitive player if the no-body shot event would occur every sunday. It would be crazy to see an endless challenge each week.
    No i am not against any reward, and it is not a problem for me to help my guild to reach theses rewards.
    But the grind is a problem with this event.
    #endthegrind
    @Kaz I would like to add, that part of the consideration of the Master Stage pitch was that it largely leaves the majority of the current challenge system intact...

...in hopes that it would not need a major programming/coding overhaul to be implemented?

I don't know code, but that was my hope.

If a kid asks his parents for $500 they laugh, but if they then ask for $20 they say... Ok here, now go have fun. ;-)

Just keep it in the conversation? That's all we ask.
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Kaz
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,783
    edited August 2018
    Agreed. The no body shot event is great fun and should remain in the rotation. Having it every Sunday would kill the game though. I play until I start to lose stars and then save the rest of the challenge until 0% body shots start. This is fun every 6-8 weeks I wouldn't want to do it every week.

Besides, all the time, effort and money spent on getting heroes/survivors to multiple pink stars would be absolutely wasted.
    ATLAS-ZtabernacKirnas
    > @WellyLuga said:
    > Besides, all the time, effort and money spent on getting heroes/survivors to multiple pink stars would be absolutely wasted.

This is the most valid point on the subject I've seen yet.
    bladgierShadowaceAztabernacmack22
  • bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 1,987
    Yes that is a good point indeed @WellyLuga , I haven't thought of that 👍
  • CBgaming1969CBgaming1969 Member Posts: 1,359
    Thanks @Kaz please also try and fix the class bonus/challenge match ups.....this was awful...warriors bonus is still not conducive with this particular challenge. I mean I know they are mostly always off....but think this is the worst or at least top 3 worst match ups ever....
  • CBgaming1969CBgaming1969 Member Posts: 1,359
    ARGH!!!
    @WellyLuga how would time and money have been wasted on levelling heroes and survivors? There is still a "wall" that players will hit in a no body shot event and for me that was about 4 rounds higher than normal, mainly because I lack good melee players (not complaining, just my play choice up until now). Spending time and money on upgrading heroes would get me to the wall sooner before the no body shot event and these same survivors would let me go further during the event, so I don't see how that's a waste. Plus, the challenge is only one area where you are able to use survivors. Upgraded survivors are hugely beneficial in the Distance (especially hard mode) and Outpost missions.

It's fine if you don't agree with my opinion about it occurring every Sun as it's something I don't really care about. It was a "non joke" of a suggestion that wasn't serious if that makes sense. If it happened, great...if it didn't, that's ok too. I just feel that it would allow most players to have a better chance of getting some of the "good rewards" at a higher star count on a consistent basis. I just don't agree with your reasoning as to why it shouldn't happen. It's akin to people not liking Aaron radio calls because they spent so much time getting Aaron tokens in the Distance hard mode and don't want others to be able to have Aaron or something. Just because it's there doesn't mean players must use it. Same applies to no body shot event or Aaron calls.
    Black Labs Matter.
    ShadowaceAzbigbeano
    @PigBenis Pink stars push the boundaries on when body shots occur. What's my incentive to invest in a survivor to 6/7/8* and up if I know I could just wait until Sunday, buy a booster and play with my 5* survivors?

We all dislike 100% body shots but if there's anything to be learned from the no body shot events is that they keep the game in check. Besides, how is it fair that I spend a fair amount of time and resources playing the challenge, distance, outposts so I can get as many tokens as I can to get my survivors to 8* if a no body shot event every Sunday is going to level the playing field?

Your point about it giving most players a better chance of getting the better rewards or higher star counts is the equivalent to kids receiving a participation medal on a sports day. You're talking about rewarding people just for taking part rather than putting the time and effort into the game to build and strengthen their survivors.

It's hard to tell from a forum comment whether something is a non-joke of a suggestion to be honest. All I was saying is a constant non body shot Sunday would take away all work put into pink star survivors and I don't think I was wrong to say it.
    bladgierATLAS-Zanthony172Mischa
  • papa040853papa040853 Member Posts: 100
    I wasted another week of my life, this was pure garbage. Let’s only do two rounds and make it tougher played two days and stopped not worth it.
    @WellyLuga I wasn't saying that you were wrong. It's your opinion after all. I just said that I don't see how your main counterpoint to my suggestion had much, if any, validity. Have your levelled up survivors not done well for you up until this point without no body shot events? I'm sure you would agree that they've let you go further in challenges and the Distance. Would these same survivors become useless to you in the Distance and Outpost missions now if every Sun had no body shots? And the last question...would you be able to face Level 35 walkers during a no body shot Sun with all Level 15 survivors like you would with Level 24 survivors? I think you'd agree to say no to the last one, which is my point about there still being a wall to hit, even with no body shots.

As walker levels increase, so does their HP. So it may take an assault 1 shot to kill a walker in easier rounds, but in later ones it requires 2 hits, then 3, etc. Your stun will be effective still, but it won't kill the walkers and multiple shots will still be required. All this time you are focused on one group of walkers, more approach from other sides and when they finally reach you because their HP pool is so large, they put you in struggle and it's all over from there and you can't complete any more missions...wall hit. Using an all bruiser team would lead to the same results, especially when the tanks can't be stunned. The wall is simply raised significantly during a no body shot event and it doesn't allow players to play indefinitely, and I like that. It gives players the option to play many more rounds, and I believe they should be rewarded for that.

I don't agree with your analogy of a participation medal. Maybe if I had suggested that players get all of the challenge rewards for just logging in on Sun...THEN that analogy might be an accurate comparison, but I didn't suggest that, primarily because I don't believe it. If players breeze through rounds and get 1 or 2 stars then their star total will suffer and I believe in rewarding those that take the time AND perform well...not rewarding people for "trying". Results are what matter most. If players breeze through rounds getting minimal stars they shouldn't be getting the same rewards as those that do perform well, but at the same time, why do you or would you care if they did? How other players play their game doesn't affect me and it shouldn't have any impact on you either.

I don't care if someone out there is getting the same rewards as me for doing less or even if they are cheating at this game for that matter. I play MY game for MY enjoyment and there are certain challenges and goals that are defined for me that tell ME what I will receive if I meet these goals and complete these tasks. That is my personal measure of accomplishment and growth if I cared to think about that rather than playing the game for fun. Having no body shots on Sun would allow me to continually push to achieve greater things rather than getting stuck on nearly the same difficulty level each week.
    Black Labs Matter.
    Also @WellyLuga your comment about buying a gas booster on Sun I see as a pro rather than a con. Firstly, it would benefit NG financially. Not only from gas sales but if a player was rushing to complete rounds on Sun due to lack of time earlier in the week, then they are more likely to take damage and more likely to need to heal with gold. Secondly I see it as a benefit because players want to end the grind...having no body shots allows players to get more stars more quickly so players can reach their guild minimums more easily. Thirdly, for me knowing that I could skip playing days earlier in the challenge due to real life events or focusing on the Distance on Sat and play one day on Sun would be a comforting thing as I could easily hit my guild min still. I don't feel that I'm alone there. I've seen multiple suggestions about doing something about running the Distance and challenge concurrently. Some players can't seem to handle both. I feel that you aren't considering some of the benefits here...maybe because they wouldn't apply to you.
    Black Labs Matter.
    Obviously they wouldn't become useless, I never once said that. The game is based around progression, pink stars is one aspect of that and if we always removed body shots on Sundays it just takes that away in my opinion. The game is grindy enough at times, the challenge in particular and body shots keep that in check. I get to RSL35/36 on a normal week, with no body shots I got to 40. It was fun, absolutely, but God I wouldn't want to be able to do that every week.

Yes you would be able to push on and achieve greater things rather than getting stuck at the same difficulty every week. But if we had body shots removed every Sunday wouldn't you eventually just go through exactly the same thing only at a higher level? I don't see how that would change anything other than your star count.
    edited August 2018
    @PigBenis Besides, let's not give NG another tactic to encourage spending :lol:

They have enough as it is.

Edit to add: How does it end the grind? Instead of playing 35-40 rounds I play 50-55? Only I play the maps a little more easily and quickly?
    @WellyLuga The main thing that it would change is allowing players who wanted to do so, the option of playing longer and would reward them for this extra effort. Normally I'm playing the challenge up until the last few available hours or even later. This week I stopped playing 2 days ago. I'd like to play more but I'm not spending money to heal my survivors in order to make that happen. On top of that, it would allow people who were busy throughout the week and unable to play an opportunity to easily get to their guild minimums and still be beneficial to the team. This might help guilds maintain their members.
    Black Labs Matter.
    > @WellyLuga said:
    > @PigBenis Besides, let's not give NG another tactic to encourage spending :lol:
    >
    > They have enough as it is.
    >
    > Edit to add: How does it end the grind? Instead of playing 35-40 rounds I play 50-55? Only I play the maps a little more easily and quickly?

I guess to try and answer that question, I would first need to know what your definition is of the grind. I've heard that term used by many players in several different ways and it can mean something different to everyone. It's possible that there isn't an easy fix to your "grind" but maybe a solution exists that fixes it for others.
    Black Labs Matter.
    That's a lot to read... Can I get the cliff notes?
    WellyLugashaunatthepubbigbeano
    > @ATLAS-Z said:
    > The "Grind" is a direct result of people joining guilds, committing to XXXX number of stars, then week after week working to get those stars.
    >
    > For some, it begins to feel like "work" instead of "fun". None of this is NGs fault really. It's just guild life.
    >
    > Solutions to the grind "problem" as it is, are really just looking for ways for people to play together, be competitive with each other, in ways that are fun don't get old and monotonous.
    >
    > That's a pretty tall order... Maybe impossible. But kudos to NGs for continuing to try.
    >