Council Upgrades, Weapon Upgrades, and the future

ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,641
Shteevie shared some insight in this thread:

https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/36427/upgrading-weapon-level-will-it-ever-happen#latest

I thought it was good information worthy of its own thread.

Quoted below

> @Shteevie said:
> We have talked about this before; it comes up around this part of the council upgrade cycle each time we announce one.
>
> We're at a point where the council upgrades are expected to be around 3x per year, and this year, we are actually behind schedule for that. We did one in March, and now another in October. So I understand the "planned obsolescence" perspective, but I take some exception to the "useless in a month" comment. It has always been our stance that a weapon one level under max is still useful; they do not suddenly stop dealing damage to the enemy.
>
> As an aside, I want to point out that we do get requests from players around 6 weeks after a council upgrade asking us to do it again as soon as possible. This is just to show that there are players who want there to never be an end to the upgrading and leveling process; for a lot of players, that is one of the most fun parts of the game.
>
> However, I digress. It is true that equipment bundles area big part of our economy, and a big part of how we keep the game running. We need to be extremely careful about any change we make that would jeopardize the long-term life of the game. And if equipment had no caps, then a huge portion of all the rewards we place across the game become essentially moot. On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for finding the perfect piece of gear, or getting something special from a bundle, and wanting to keep it in your arsenal for as long as possible.
>
> Personally, and not speaking as an official announcement or indication of a feature in development, I'd like to make an item like an "Upgrade Kit" that would take a fully-upgraded piece of equipment and restore it to "like new", but with the base level increased by one. I would imagine that we could make a limited number of these earned through gameplay [maybe in an event like the Summer Campaign], and then offer additional kits on the bundle shop. That way, equipment rewards are still relevant, spenders can get more if they want, and players can carry that favorite version of Daryl's crossbow all the way up from the Chapter 1 rewards through to the end of the game, if they want.
>
> This is the version of the idea that I have advocated for and added to our feature request wishlist, and I'm sure it will change somewhat as we work on it. If you have feedback on this idea, I welcome it here, in the "Ideas" part of the forums, [where I think it has been mentioned before], or in a PM. But I hope this does show that we are aware of the request, and we do think there is something to be done about it, but a combination of a need for lots of caution and other, bigger feature priorities have kept it from happening up to this point.
>
> Thanks for the question!

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
BonaquaZetteDeathwish19Waltz46n2WalkerRon

Comments

• bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 2,127
    Counsel 😀😛
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,641
    My response:

> @ATLAS-Z said:
    > One thing @shteevie that I will like to say, is when people say things like "useless in a month" I think you know that they don't actually mean useless.
    >
    > We know they aren't useless.
    >
    > But when most of us spend actual real money on a piece of gear, we have an expectation that it is one of the very best pieces of gear in the game. And when an update comes out, and people can find better gear for free...? Yeah, it sucks.
    >
    > I think you guys know that. And if you could push the upgrade kit, well, that might alleviate it some.
    >
    > Oh and, March - October was an ideal time without a council upgrade for me.

Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    > @bladgier said:
    > Counsel 😀😛

Yeah yeah, I hate fkn homonyms

• aafr99aafr99 Member Posts: 161
    That is actually a very good idea. Hope the board of directors aproves it.
    DBonesATLAS-Z
    I've got a suggestion, but I'm not sure how the community would feel about it.

FTP (1) ««---------------»» (10) PTW

On the $ scale, I think I'm probably about a 4? I will spend, but not without careful consideration.

That said, my suggestion is this:

Make all $ purchased gear stronger than any other gear in the game. And not just a tiny spec stronger, like SPECIAL SOMEONE or SENSEI KATANA, but a LOT stronger. Like nearly a level stronger, but just shy.

Will it be game breaking?
    I don't think so.
    Will it give extra incentive to buy weapons and gear?
    HELL yes it would.

And when a council update came out next, those gears would still be pretty much as strong as the free gears people started scavenging. No more "useless in a month" comments. At least regarding purchased gear.

This warrants some thought, at least... it could be filled with huge holes I'm not seeing right now.

General_Quatre
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    At least it wasn't the all fated...

Soon
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

aafr99
  • Waltz46n2Waltz46n2 Member Posts: 24
    I would be in favor for 1 or 2 council upgrades per year. 3 is just to much for me. The costs of upgrading are getting ridiculous as it is I can’t imagine those costs going up 3 times a year! I like to be able to have time to upgrade all my survivors and gear and it just seems to take me longer. I guess with 3 upgrades it brings some more Start egg in which survivors to cut which survivors to train and the same with gear.

I also like the idea of the upgrade feature for a maxed weapon. That would be a good way to save a few of the best weapons armor etc.
    DodkongGeneral_Quatre
  • tallinietallinie Member Posts: 386
    Assuming one can play at least 3 more rounds after each council & training grounds upgrade, who does even want to upgrade council any further? The challenge grind is already intolerable (except maybe during those UC weeks) and will just get worse after each upgrade.

Or did I miss some news that along with next council upgrade there will also be permanent fix to challenge grind? UC could be temporal solution. More durable solutions might be combining it with Distance game mechanics ie. survivors are not healed between missions and once your survivor dies its no longer usable in same challenge. Also idea of being able to start challenge at whatever difficulty level and/or skipping difficulty levels would be awesome, similar to high jump. But I have been dreaming for already so long time that I dont have much expectations any longer.

I might still consider upgrading council if there is going to be Nightmare difficulty for Distance. That could be lots of fun and should not be too difficult to implement..
  • MetalMetal Member Posts: 489
    Just don’t make upgrading these things rediculous like 150000000 tomatoes cmon just getting to long to grind these anymore
    Deathwish19
    edited September 2018
    Too many farm lemmings out there going bonkers every time their tomatoes get full. Who cares?

The lemmings that's who

• RusstiferRusstifer Member Posts: 5
    If this is in the wrong place, I apologize. I have been playing about two years and am my Guild's leader. I imagine that coding a new Council level with all of its attending changes is a drawn-out process or we would be cleared through level 1,000 (or at least bave Council level 24 by now...).

I have long since upgraded every piece of real estate in the camp and the only thing left to spend resources on takes XP. That having been said, it is a little demoralizing watching millions of tomato cans sift through my fingers as I have been sitting with 20 million cans in the bank for some time.

As it is no fault of our own--other than being avid players--is there a way that those of us in my predicament can get our crate rewards set to not have cans come up? XP is preferable but anything--gas, gold, crappy 1☆ weapons, syphilis...really anything is preferable to cans. Just a thought, just a theory. Thanks.

Russ
    Zette
  • ReeconnReeconn Member Posts: 540
    edited September 2018
    I personally think its not so much the ammount of upgrades per year but the ammount of tomatoes it takes to get eveything upgraded
    untouchable
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,738
    I don't get it, it takes too long to grind for the amount of tomatoes, followed by I've upgraded everything and ages ago and have nothing to spend my tomatoes on.
    Secondly the person who said they have 6 pieces of maxed out gear for each class, I think you would been one who needed a council update sooner. Then the XP spent in the last 3 of each would probably have been spent on the higher level equipment and you would have felt progress rather than stagnation. Just my two cent.
    You heard the person that said we should be at level 100?

They want constant grind with constant easily achievable leveling. 30 council updates per year.

These guys are not gamers, like me looking for strategy or challenge, they just like to grind grind grind all day, lemming lemming lemming...

It makes some people happy.

Not this guy.

Mmmmmmeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh