What Dictates If I Get Hit Or Get Into Struggle?

ScowleyScowley Member Posts: 421
Looking deeper into strategy I suddenly realise I do not know what dictates when my survivors get grabbed or struck.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.
Elder of guild 'Aloha Snackbar'

Best Answers

• ScowleyScowley Posts: 421
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks @TJS and @PigBenis I wouldn't have guessed that, I would have thought it was something to do with body shots, critical hits etc thanks for enlightening me.

Now your answer has got me thinking about another question. Is the green and red bar half each ie if my survivors health is shown as 7000 is it safe to assume that if they get hit for over 3500 they will go into struggle? Is it also safe to assume that the damage that counts for this is the figure after damage reduction effects have been calculated ie damaged reduction badges, dodge etc?
  • ScowleyScowley Posts: 421
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks @WellyLuga I really was blissfully unaware of this element of the games dynamic.

Answers

• ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    And now I know..
    Thanks from me also folks.
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

• snafusnafu Member Posts: 227
    Struggle occurs only when going from green to red. If you are already in the red, surviving the hit only reduces health bar.
    TJS
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,357
    I also didn't know that it was health x2. For some reason I assumed there was more red than green...
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    @snafu is 100% correct. I've edited my original post to include his quote.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
  • GothgulGothgul Member Posts: 133
    What determines the length of the struggle? Does wrestler trait have any influence? My survivors seem to range from 1-3 turns, but I'm not clear on the dynamics.
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402

@Gothgul
    Wrestle is a set length. Either your survivor dies, or the walker is killed.

Walker can die from damage from attacker if Wrestler trait is on, or from a companion shooting said walker.

First to die.. well, they die.
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

• YorkshireSteveYorkshireSteve Member Posts: 141

Depends on if you have a mullet or not !
    This is what dictates it ....
  • GothgulGothgul Member Posts: 133
    Yes, but what determines the length of the struggle? Sometimes they struggle for 1 turn, sometimes 3 (I don't think I've ever seen 2). Does it depend on class?
  • Phalanx44Phalanx44 Member Posts: 263
    Struggle is always 3 turns, unless the Walker is on fire when it initiates struggle, or if the human is on fire when the struggle begins. In these cases, its one turn, then death. (A good strategy for beating high level freemen on the Distance is to first set them on fire, or nearby walkers, so that the struggle turn count is reduced.)

Also, struggling with a Spiked walker has a high percentage to be instant death. Not sure of the exact % though.
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,007
    Struggling with a spiked walker is instant death. (There used to be a time where the wrestling trait could save you on the first turn of strugle)
    There is also a bug.
    If your survivor is almost in the red.
    And you hit a walker that is burning.
    If that puts you in the red health. A strugle will start.

Found out the hard way, hit a burning walker, he started to strugle with my survivor. My turn wasn't even done, but it was to late.
    @jimmorrison369 I've never experienced that bug and have often used the burning walkers to avoid a struggle in the exact situation you've described. Most recently on "the pyre" is there any maps or anything you've noticed this on more than others or just happens sometimes?
    jimmorrison369
    @Firekid .

Glad to hear it shouldn't happen. It was a first actually. All I remember was, it was in the distance last week.

It must've been command center or motorpool. I was using Eugene.
    My plan was indeed to go into red, so he wouldn't go into strugle.

I'll be on the lookout if it ever happens again.
    Me too, should be some opportunities to test it out this week with this fire boost.
    @Firekid
    It happened again.
    The Tank was burning.
    My bruiser had a very small amount of health left.
    All my survivors didn't move yet this turn.

I attacked the tank with my bruiser.
    Immediately it went into strugle.
    Because it still was my turn, it became a 2 turn strugle. (You know when a burning walker attacks your survivor into struggle in his turn, it will be 1 turn left. Because it went into strugle on my turn it is 2.)