Brutally honest open letter

Dear Next Games,

Let me preface by saying I love your product. If I didn't I wouldn't be frequenting the website to stay on top of things, and eagerly await your new releases. Your dedication to placating your player base is admirable, unlike anything I have seen in many games I have played. Your responses are much quicker than average, and for the hard work you've put in, I say thank you.

However, having said that I am incredibly surprised at the quality and level of professionalism in your releases. These are not nuanced bugs that would have to have strange circumstances or take a tech savvy genius to exploit. These are very obvious problems that should have been caught by anybody who was reasonably sober and of sound unmedicated mind.

I'm beginning to do something I've never done for any game I've ever played: I'm questioning your management. Who is making these judgement calls to release updates in this condition? Who is over seeing quality control? Whoever it is needs a come to Jesus meeting on the Hilltop. You are making yourselves look like amatuers. Nice amatuers, but a second rate operation nonetheless.

I am certain that if I had submitted work with this many problems at my own place of business I would be on a third write up, or a PIP at this point. I don't know the circumstances in your organization, but I hope it isn't being dismissed.

Please, for the sake of those of us who want to continue your game, take a look at process improvement and checks and balances. Bugs at an update are expected, but it should be playable if you took the time to promote and release it. You can only apologize so many times before the faithful lose confidence in your product and the game begins to die.

Respectfully,

Nichonne
DrBOBJapes87DERRICKhottexaszosonFragzieChipsAhexDeathrowsmokeranoved

Comments

• HelioHelio Member Posts: 522
    Very good post... +1

• A_MadmanA_Madman Member Posts: 2
    Here Here!
  • Weasel007Weasel007 Member Posts: 177
    +1
  • Avalon8Avalon8 Member Posts: 37
    +1
  • BadgerBadger Member Posts: 74
    Amen
  • AhexAhex Member Posts: 78
    +5 I'm fatso, I have more power
    shAdggbats
  • HurradifaxHurradifax Member Posts: 15
    +1
    NotYourLunch
  • NotYourLunchNotYourLunch Member Posts: 40
    Unbelievable they could put such crap online. And keep it there in spite of the increasingly vehemenant posts. Incredibly greedy overseers? Obsoletely abysmal programmers? Completely blind CS people who can't get the point across to those who need to know.

This is a completely unacceptable set of business decisions and this game needs to taken down until it's fixed. Once I hit the delete button, I won't be reinstalling, never have yet in decades of gaming .......
  • VossVoss Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2016
    Could you be anymore melodramatic Notyourlunch? It's a free-to-play game, if you don't like it then just quietly uninstall it.
    AdamantiumhottexasTaralizt
  • I got my 2nd write up at work Sunday night and my mess ups are very pale compared to the games bugs
  • AchronixAchronix Member Posts: 10
    @Voss you do realize that 'free-to-play' mobile games generate significantly more revenue than AAA console and PC games? Should they not be held to the same, if not more, exacting standards?

Not to mention a percentage of the player base, however large or small, pay for in app purchases. Some of whom spend considerably more than they might a AAA title.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but it's very likely we have so many anti-consumer mechanics in mobile games (such as energy / VIP programs etc) because people didn't shout loudly enough in the first place.
    ZinhottexasDERRICKggbats
    Achronix, no because at the very heart of the issue they're free. The company has no obligation to fix bugs. Look at SpaceHulk on Steam. It was over $20 to buy, had some serious bugs and the developers basically came on after a while and said ya sorry but we're busy in real life so there won't be any more updates after this last one, have a good one.

These games DO make a lot of money. Clash of Clans pulls in over a million a day. Their profits for 2014/2015 was something silly like 660 million. These games DO make a lot of money but the developers have no obligations to fix anything. As long as people blindly throw money at the game, like $20 for an outfit and some gold, the company doesn't really need to listen to complaints,
    AdamantiumhottexasDERRICK
  • NichonneNichonne Member Posts: 30
    @Voss, as a heavy player of Clash of Clans for 3 years, Clash is much more professionally run. I know they aren't bug free either, but it's extremely few and far between. I can only even think of one major bug that I was even aware of (they catch them so quick by the time the average player sees them they're gone). The glitch I saw lasted about three hours before they took the game down, and by the next morning they had fixed it and implemented a roll back. Most of my clan didn't even know it had happened, except that we told them.

I assume this is a capitalist venture, and if they want to make CoC money, they need to be CoC quality. I don't believe they owe me anything, but I question if they haven't caught on they owe it to themselves to shape up, if nothing more than their own continuing credibility.
    hottexasanoved
  • TAnchoTAncho Member Posts: 63
    As a player who spent enough money with bundles and other BS stuffs I can tell that the game initially was perfect to my standard but each new release and update made comibg out bugs and issues which no loyal player deserves to experience.

@Voss you are right! It's free to play but when you start paying hundreds bucks to play and quality goes day by day down it's reasonable you can disappoint and only who payed can tell it, so only if you play this for free your opinion is valid
    ggbats
  • NotYourLunchNotYourLunch Member Posts: 40
    Ya Voss, I'm 61 and spent a huge pile of my money gaming since it was invented. So I've seen lots and heard more. So STFU LOL. These buffoons need to know a consumer won't put up with this garbage. Game is awesome and they make a ton. So learn to do it right for peters sake.

Soon the ancients like me that grew up on online gaming will not work anymore and can spend gobs of money playing on my tablet. In Mexico or Hawaii or Taiwan or the Mediterranean on a cruise ship. The list is LONG of things to do and their name won't be on my todo list if they serve me frustrating " free" crap
    jesterhottexasggbats
  • jesterjester Member Posts: 2,745
    edited March 2016
    Get off our lawn!

And I'll be in the Caribbean very soon.
  • squared002squared002 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    You can threaten to leave all you want. You know what? They don’t give a flying F’ if you leave or not. I know it’s aggravating to deal with a buggy patch; as gamers, we’ve all been there.
  • PhilJPhilJ Member Posts: 98

Ya Voss, I'm 61 and spent a huge pile of my money gaming since it was invented. So I've seen lots and heard more. So STFU LOL. These buffoons need to know a consumer won't put up with this garbage. Game is awesome and they make a ton. So learn to do it right for peters sake.

Soon the ancients like me that grew up on online gaming will not work anymore and can spend gobs of money playing on my tablet. In Mexico or Hawaii or Taiwan or the Mediterranean on a cruise ship. The list is LONG of things to do and their name won't be on my todo list if they serve me frustrating " free" crap

I remember the good old days.

• efthymiosefthymios Member Posts: 4
    Where I am working we say "There are no bugs! Just new features.."

Seriously, a friendly advise to the Next Games Management is to gather the Delivery Manager, the Integration Manager, the Product Owner, Project Managers, the Team lead developer and the rest of the developers as well as the QA team with the QA Manager. Then explain to them that the way to work nowdays is AGILE and that you are going to hire agile coaches and run daily SCRUMS in sprints. As an outsider if feels that you luck working Agile.

P.S. Thank you for this great game and your efforts dev guys. This is obviously a management fault.
    Nichonne said:

@Voss, as a heavy player of Clash of Clans for 3 years, Clash is much more professionally run.

In 2013 clash of Clans was pulling in 2.4 million dollars a day. The walking Dead isn't there yet. It's subjective, the game is new and they're figuring it out.

Please save me stone tablet speech. I was born before the Nintendo too. If stomping your feet and pulling your hair on a message forum makes you feel better go for it.
    You say consumers won't put up with this garbage but the truth of the matter is they will. For ever dude like you who quits (I bet you're still playing though, aren't you) there's 100 people who don't care about the bugs and stuff and keep playing. This is why unfinished betas get released. Not only do we test games for games company now but we PAY to test them, it's ridiculous. There's $10'000 packages on the game Star Citizen that people have actually bought.

You're not buying a $5.00 package anymore? That's okay 10 people just bought the $22 one.
    TAncho said:

As a player who spent enough money with bundles and other BS stuffs I can tell that the game initially was perfect to my standard but each new release and update made comibg out bugs and issues which no loyal player deserves to experience.

@Voss you are right! It's free to play but when you start paying hundreds bucks to play and quality goes day by day down it's reasonable you can disappoint and only who payed can tell it, so only if you play this for free your opinion is valid

XBox One and PS4 games don't even cost $100 and they're made by big companies with a lot of employees. If you're paying hundreds of dollars for a free cell phone game then they've already got their moneys worth and more
This discussion has been closed.