MEDIKITS & PAY-TO-WIN ~ Narrowing the Gap

ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,067
edited November 2018 in Suggestions & Ideas

MEDIKITS & PAY-TO-WIN ~ Narrowing the Gap

((Disclaimer))
First off, I’d to make clear that I think its okay that Next Games makes some money off its players. Gotta keep the lights on, developers bellies full, rent paid, etc.

The tricky part is allowing that profit without creating an impossibly unfair gap between high paying players and lower paying players.
There will always be a gap, to some degree, and its foolish to think you can erase it Completely...

...this proposal isn't meant to erase the gap, it's just meant to narrow the gap. Make it smaller.

MEDIKITS (aka First Aid Kits)

- these will represent a new resource used exclusively to heal injured survivors / decrease hospital time.
- instead of using gold to speed heal survivors, you use Medikits

HEALING with MEDIKITS
- Light Injury ---------->> 1-kit
- Moderate Injury ---->> 2-kits
- Severe Injury -------->> 3-kits

HOW DO YOU GET MEDIKITS??
- all the usual places, post mission crates, trade store, bundle shop, etc.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ok, Big Guy, that's neat, but what's the point? Does this actually change gameplay dynamics in any measurable way?
-YES!!

#1) For Frugal and free players, gold is a precious commodity, one they have to hoard and use sparingly. But if you introduce a new currency/resource whose SOLE purpose is healing... Well... What's the point in hoarding that? Maybe just saving it for your favorite challenge or guild war? Yes!!

It's much like having a $20 Amazon gift card in one hand and a $20 bill cash in the other hand... They both have the same value, but which one is a frugal player most likely to spend shopping online? The gift card.

#2) Big Whale spenders will still be able save time and spend money by using cash to buy Medikits. BUT... by separating gold from healing, Next Games wizards can choose to limit Medikits bundles to one per day, or two, or whatever.

Alternately, they could handle them like hero tokens in the trade store... The first kit on each restock can be purchased with trade goods, and the next with gold, then a bit more gold, etc.

The point here is it adds a useful measure of control into NGs toolbox, one that can be used to moderate the gap between FTP and PTW.

#3) And in the long run... in reality, no, its not a big change. For the most part, for most of us... not much changes in the overall gameplay. The basic integrity and economy of the game is maintained.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

((FINAL NOTE - If you like this, comment. NGs has a lot on their table, and the only way this becomes a priority is if we, the players, keep it in the spotlight. That means you, and that means comments. Thank you!!))

~~BOOKMARK THIS THREAD for later!!~~

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
biter76romeoTJSJack_SladeKratostdiddydonald6283RenopwnsTroublemaker[Deleted User]JadenMarian_dzTCBRITOmack22imacharlieWellyLugaCarlsRightEyeanthony172ShadowWalkerFirekidmimicaJoshuaTanniesprinklesKasimirMichonor23LieutenantMarsh

Comments

• Waltz46n2Waltz46n2 Member Posts: 21
    Good points. I think something along these lines would be great for the casual player like myself.
    romeoTCBRITO
  • romeoromeo Member Posts: 546
    Wonderful idea, as for me $$ only goes for Gas booster and not for Gold. Please take this under consideration @Kaz
    ATLAS-ZTCBRITO
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,067
    Should probably flag @Shteevie also ;-)
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    romeoTCBRITO
  • NarniaNarnia Member Posts: 58
    I think this idea solves an issue; gold being the obvious main currency of the game. It adds a specific currency in exchange. One perhaps that could be dropped more commonly in a different mission set!
    romeoATLAS-Z
  • Jack_SladeJack_Slade Member Posts: 12
    That idea is awesome! I would really like to see that coming.
    ATLAS-ZTCBRITO
  • KratosKratos Member Posts: 273
    I am really liking this idea. While I don't spend a lot I do have decent stash of gold built up but I am still frugal with it. I run some OP raids to keep my TG supply halfway steady but have done more lately to offset the cost of the 30 gas in the TG shop. I know I would run more to buy the Medi Kits and would probably spend gold occasionally to get a couple of extra. It might influence what bundles I buy also.
    Part of the MAVERICKS Guild Family
    ATLAS-ZTCBRITOromeo
  • RenopwnsRenopwns Member Posts: 92
    I really like this idea, it allows everyone to save gold and play more. NG doesn't get hurt by any part of that because if you're playing more, you're watching ad videos that they make the real big bucks off of.
    ATLAS-ZTCBRITOShadowWalkerromeo
    Thanks guys. No interest from @Shteevie tho? Or @Kaz

Probably some giant flaw somewhere im missing?
  • Doug1212Doug1212 Member Posts: 2
    I like the idea of the medical kit. It would make the decision of pushing myself harder in those one star challenges a lot easier.
    ATLAS-Zromeo
  • CarlsRightEyeCarlsRightEye Member Posts: 11
    great idea
  • NarniaNarnia Member Posts: 58
    Is this something we could tactfully approach with a well-worded, in game poll? Perhaps poll data could better demonstrate what a greater amount of players want to see. Perhaps a good description and a poll can be considered?
    ATLAS-ZDEADITE_HUNTERRenopwns
    > @Shteevie said: ... The larger portion of players never play missions that they are not guaranteed to win... <

And this IS precisely the point I'm trying to make, since most weeks I'm one of those players. @TransmuteJun mentioned it in another thread. But for most of us we would push further if it didn't mean quickly depleting a valuable resource used in nearly every other aspect of the game. Our gold is precious, so flitting it away to push higher in a challenge isn't practical or attractive at all.

You find a way to address this, and you'll narrow that gap that keeps getting wider and wider with each update.
    romeoRenopwnsanniesprinkles
    > @WellyLuga said: I think to myself 'I wonder if a team of x, y and z will work here', but then often I don't try it as I know that if it doesn't work how I hoped not only does it cost me 6 gas for no gain, I also have a hospital crammed for 2-4 hours <

100% agree. @Shteevie

And from my experience play testing, when we had a gazillion gold to heal Willy nilly however we pleased, I did exactly that. Tried new teams and strategies because if it failed badly, no problem... Heal right up and off you go trying again.

I loved that. Miss it. :-/

(Jss?)
    romeoShadowaceAzanniesprinkles
  • tdiddytdiddy Member Posts: 355
    the jss was me..... before u bite my head off let me explain and i hope you actually keep an open mind:
    i support medkits/reduced healing times have for a long time.(well reduced healing for a long time). I think its a well thought out idea props to u! However the pay to win is in every game and i think ng deserves some credit, distance free stuff, 30 gas for tg etc. If no one bought anything the game wouldnt exist or at the least wouldnt have any updates new content..
    secondly ng makes alot of $$ from healing so to take that away they would need to get revenue somewhere else.... i would like to see along with ur medkits a healing booster just like theres a gas and exp booster. a conversation from only 1 side is not productive....
    yes i praised NG, i must not be feeling well, also am really not trying to attack u.
    anyway hope what i posted makes sense.
    bladgierJenng
    @tdiddy If you read my disclaimer, first line, I agree with you.

And if you review the entirety of the proposal again, you'll see that it doesn't limit revenue at all unless NGs decides to limit daily Medipack purchases. It merely gives them options to do so.

The number one draw, is it gives all players a tool to heal with a resource that has no other purpose, and as such encourages deeper play. Even for players who might not otherwise push.

Spenders can keep on spending.

Frugal savers keep on saving.

It's a win win, only down side, as @Shteevie alluded, is that it takes programmer time/man hours to implement. But I think it's worth it and needed.

If not this, then something else. But it needs addressed badly.
    tdiddyRenopwnsanniesprinkles
  • kmrkmr Member Posts: 106
    WellyLuga said:

Shteevie said:

- Business sense, part II: As the makers of the game, we'd much rather see players develop more top-level characters, try out different game modes, or use different team combinations. That is part of the reason that the Hospital mechanic exists. The last year or so of development with the Distance, new traits and heroes, and now Guild Wars all points in that direction. This mechanic would seem to work in an opposing direction, so we'd have to be very wary in its execution.

I understand the point here and I have enjoyed building up many survivors for different occasions, so that I have options and also because it keeps the game fresh for me. I like having a 'project' to work on and I start to become a little bored if I don't have one I'm working on. However, there are times during the challenge where I think to myself 'I wonder if a team of x, y and z will work here', but then often I don't try it as I know that if it doesn't work how I hoped not only does it cost me 6 gas for no gain, I also have a hospital crammed for 2-4 hours depending on whether I already have my A-team in there.
    This is also a common situation for me as well.
    Just thinking.. What if we have got "training mode" possibility for each type of mission:
    - gas cost is halved (or less)
    - all heros/survivors can be used regardless hospital situation
    - no rewards for the mission (no XP for kills, no after-mission crates, etc.)
    It would be really good for testing different team setup without risking many hours hospital time...
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,279
    I'd like to also put weight to the hospital time makes people try different things discussion - it doesn't. Just as mentioned before if you are playing a level where all 3 a team get defeated you've got a two hour wait. If you then try your B team and get defeated you have a Four hour wait for them to be used. 2 hours later your a team are out and you try again and they are defeated that's now a 4 hour wait for your a team. To use your A team 3 times on a tricky mission (archives anyone?) could take 6 hours. Or pretty much half a day. Unless you use a huge amount of gold to just go again. If I could use my a team then b team and it all goes wrong id happily use my medkits to get my a team out and start the 2 hour timer on my b team.
    ShadowaceAzATLAS-ZRenopwnsTCBRITO
    Yes, I'd like to add that I'm super excited about the new update, shiny new camp complete with snow!

And guild wars???!!! Woohoo!

But once the dust settles, high paying players still sitting comfortable at top of every Leaderboard. What's the point with that?
    anniesprinkles
  • Mgoff54Mgoff54 Member Posts: 145
    It is a good thing as well so that way i don't have to any of my gold to heal my survivors
    ATLAS-Zanniesprinkles
  • KasimirKasimir Member Posts: 117
    Agree 100%. This would def. solve a lot problems we do have now according the new structure of the gameplay with all the experimentsy a d adjustments.
    ATLAS-Z