Leveling a new account takes way too long

So I levelled my account to max player level and got all my heroes up to level 25 and a few weapons upgraded. It took more than a year and in that time I played the game a lot. I enjoyed the time and enjoyed the game but I am seeing several of the players I knew along the way drop out before ever hitting max level. I had a lot of time to play (working from home) so I was able to get a lot out of events and use pretty much every drop of fuel I got. People in jobs or with less free time however, the game takes so long to level.

This didn't so much matter until guild wars came along. The game is fun, being a few levels behind didn't really matter. Now however being low level must be so much more frustrating. If you want to be able to do guild wars you need a lot of higher level players, which means a horrible choice between keeping friendly low level players and struggling to get guild wars going or kicking out often nice players to get someone higher level.

A simple case in point, today I paid for a guild advertisment and got 4 new players, ranging in level from 3 to 14. None of them will be of use in guild wars for probably a year or more so you end up with a horrible choice, boot them out in which case they may stop playing the game or keep them and end up struggling to fill guild war teams for over a year.

I have no real problem with the highest level or two taking time but before that there needs to be a drastic reduction in time taken to level, I would suggest something like:

Council level 23 (level before max): Same cost and time as now.
Council level 22 (2 levels below max): 25% reduced build cost and build time.
Council level 21 (3 levels below max): 50% reduced build cost and build time.
All previous levels: 75% reduced build cost and build time.

A 12-24 month time investment to get to max level and be able to participate properly in things like guild wars is just too long. I think it would be fine to make similar reductions to cost to level survivors and upgrade gear below that point too. The game system should push players in the direction of welcoming and encouraging new players. The system as it is now effectively punishes guilds for having low level players and that isn't fun for anyone or good for the game.
PigBenisdalmerLucasMcCainfretje

Comments

• KriegKrieg Member Posts: 115
    This game takes a long time to level up? Try getting only 3 tier 10 vehicles in World of Tanks lol.
  • NommaeNommae Member Posts: 23
    Krieg said:

This game takes a long time to level up? Try getting only 3 tier 10 vehicles in World of Tanks lol.

You could say the same about trying to get a 5 pink star hero. There is no problem with having long term goals that take a significant investment of time to achieve. The problem is that when a core part of the game is gated behind a very long, slow, levelling system and when guild wars makes guilds an unwelcoming environment for new players it's an issue.
    PigBenis
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,085
    I miss Diablo 2.
    Mavericks Guild Family
    Infinite_M0nkeyenigma12
  • Infinite_M0nkeyInfinite_M0nkey Member Posts: 16
    It's a good point. I have chosen to nurture lower-level players - this has my guild's support, but means there are realistically only 6 of us who can fight beyond forest sectors.
    The situation would be eased if there wasn't that awful grind from level 49 to 59. I have several great, committed members who are frustrated at being stuck with 18-19 rsl heroes.
    It seems wrong that you can't meaningfully contribute to GW until you're above L60 & start getting heroes above rsl 21.
    Better staging of promotion levels, say from 54 onwards rather than 59, would help everyone.
  • DrUnpleasantDrUnpleasant Member Posts: 530
    I've been saying this for ages. I'm a very committed player - do all the daily's, 1100+ stars per challenge, distance, outpost and grind on off-days BUT it took me a year and a half to reach max level even when I skipped levels (e.g. survivors from 19-21 ignoring 20).

During most of that time the weapon and armor bundles were of absolutely no interest to me. Why should they be when I was going to out-level the gear in a month or less? There is a year and a half of leveling before NG could get me into a position where I want to spend.

It would make a lot of sense to get players to max level more quickly and then let badges / pink stars / gear be the differentiation. Now, it's not as easy as that granted (as I'm sure there are graphs showing the relative benefits of leveling as a retainer of interest) but 1.5years to lv25 is a HELL of a long time.
    LucasMcCain
  • PigBenisPigBenis Member Posts: 1,020
    I started playing 3rd week of Sept 2017 and made it to max level (L69 with L24 survivors) by Mid July 2018. I didn't spend all sorts of money to get there either...just played smart. It's not that difficult to max out an account and looking back I probably could have shaved 2-3 months off of that time by playing during worthwhile events.
    Black Labs Matter.
  • DrUnpleasantDrUnpleasant Member Posts: 530
    edited March 29
    PigBenis said:

I started playing 3rd week of Sept 2017 and made it to max level (L69 with L24 survivors) by Mid July 2018. I didn't spend all sorts of money to get there either...just played smart. It's not that difficult to max out an account and looking back I probably could have shaved 2-3 months off of that time by playing during worthwhile events.

Congrats for leveling to max in that time-frame, but I highly doubt it could have been much faster - and bear in mind that we're talking about "most" players here, not people at the highest end of min/maxing.

Although I'm far more casual on this game that pretty much any other competitive mobile game I've ever played, I'm still on the higher end of commitment and I started in August 2017 and finally hit lv25 in November or December I think - so about 1yr 3 months. Hell, I even played regularly while on holiday and at Xmas -and maybe not completed 10-15 daily quests from the day they were implemented. Considering I've been top 100 player ranked in a number of games, I know how to play smart.

Think about the average player, not a top 50 guild player. It's a hell of a long grind before you're at the point when it feels worthwhile to spend on gear or be competitive in GW.
    romeo
  • NommaeNommae Member Posts: 23
    edited March 29
    PigBenis said:

I don't think the long levelling time was a problem before guild wars came along. I levelled myself to 70 in 9 or 10 months give or take and it was fine (I would argue that while levelling was fun up to council level 19 from then on it just becomes an interminable grind that actually detracts from the game but that's a separate issue). Yeah for a good bit of it I wasn't adding a whole bunch of stars but the relative gaps between star rewards are big enough and the rewards are small enough that nobody really cares about missing out on a deluxe chest or two because they have a bunch of low level people in the guild.

With guild wars however that changes, having a bunch of low level people means it gets very hard to even participate in guild wars reliably. An environment where having new players in a guild makes it harder for anyone to participate in the end game at all is an environment where low level players are far more likely to get a frosty welcome.
    DrUnpleasantromeo