MASTER STAGE ~ What the Ultimate Challenge should have been

2»

Comments

• DodkongDodkong Member Posts: 1,048
    I like this, but I still feel some sort of adjustment of gas costs needs to be made. There's a definite imbalance on this aspect.
    "I always say, if you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips." -Birgitte Silverbow, The Fires of Heaven, The Wheel of Time

"Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain." - al'Lan Mandragoran, The Great Hunt, The Wheel of Time
    Renopwns
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 3,815
    Someone trying to push the master stage only will often spend multiple gas trips/attempts, so it shouldn't be too terribly unbalanced.

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    Renopwns
    Plus, someone playing thorough all six will still get more xp from kills and post mission crates.

Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    30 compared to 5, no matter which excuse you wish to spin it on, is still an imbalance.
    "I always say, if you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips." -Birgitte Silverbow, The Fires of Heaven, The Wheel of Time

"Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain." - al'Lan Mandragoran, The Great Hunt, The Wheel of Time
    edited August 2018
    It's not an "excuse" it's just looking at the facts.

And I want to insist I'm really really not trying to be ugly, facetious, or difficult... Friendly banter. Points to be made :-) <<< emoji proves it

Let's use scavenge missions as an example. If I do one scavenge mission and you do six, is that an imbalance? You will have spent 30 gas and I only spent 5. That's hardly fair right?

Wait a minute! Yes it is!

Unless your thinking it's unfair simply pertaining to trade goods?

Then let's look at outposts... If I spend 4 gas in outposts, I get 1000+ trade goods... And someone who completed an early master stage would get how much? I don't remember... 600 TGs? For 4-5 gas? Sounds right.

Or are you just worried about getting stars? Cuz I think we already determined stars aren't currency, so no extra benefit there except for guild rewards? Which everyone will get in the end anyway, some will just get them sooner, right? No Biggy.

Beyond that, isn't the point of this all so that the most skilled players can rank on the Leaderboards, not just those who have the most time/money for waiting on gas refills?

I said in the initial post, it's not perfect, but neither is it grossly imbalanced. Right?

RenopwnsTripod
    edited August 2018
    I wanna drop a "BOOM BABY!" But that's a little... Immature.

***runs and hides***

**trips over the Mic he dropped**

boosh
  • WahooDawgWahooDawg Member Posts: 464
    I never claimed your suggestion was out of balance, grossly or otherwise. I said I like the idea, all of it except for the gas usage imbalance.

In my opinion, I think the Master Stage should cost 10 and the other 5 maps cost 3. Those who complete the Master Stage are still able to progress further on one tank of gas than currently able. Those who play all 6 maps will pay 20, still more than Master Stage completion, but yet leaves some gas left over to proceed into the next set of maps, also allowing them to play more than currently able on one tank of gas.

ShadowaceAzRenopwns
    Solid opinion there, and I think most folks would still be agreeable to it?

Gas cost for the Master Stage could be = "Base mission cost" +1 gas per incomplete mission?

That means each mission completed in a round would reduce both the Diffic & Gas cost of the MS by one each?

It would work.

Personally, I still think it's not necessary, but I definitely value the input :-)

Guess we'll see how Guild wars goes...

Could be that challenge fades into the backdrop?

We'll see ;-)

> @Bill_ZRT said:
    > Guess we'll see how Guild wars goes...
    >
    >
    >
    > Could be that challenge fades into the backdrop?
    >
    >
    >
    > We'll see ;-)
    >
    > I don't think so... if for no other reason than the people crushing challenges have a lot of time to do that. Guild Wars, however, is every other weekend and 3 matches per guild member per day. That's not going to be enough to keep the leader board legends busy or cause them to 'switch' from challenges to guild wars. Some individuals who are tired of the grind or the obligation that goes along with challenges might, but I don't think there will be a mass challenge exodus. Challenges are NG's bread and butter from a revenue standpoint. They're going to be highly interested in keeping players playing challenges while supplementing with guild wars.

I know that's the pitch, but I'm thinking long term, they're gonna be upping the guild wars more.

But hey, we'll see.

romeo
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 2,203
    It won't replace the challenge no, but when it's running I think it will. Only 3 hours game time a day... :lol:
    romeoATLAS-Z
  • Kick_assKick_ass Member Posts: 513
    edited February 2019
    The Master stage sound like a very cool idea. But i dont want this to die. I pushed a ton this week and it's too much.

Please don't let this fad away.
    #fixthegrind

@Kaz thank you
    Maverick’s Core Leader and / OG Co-Leader
    Other Leaders | Pic |
    Tux77 |
    KeepGen |

Stolen from Dlich
    Mystiquevshield50TCBRITOATLAS-Z
    > @Fluxxx said:
    Ok so since I’ve revealed some of the things that won’t be in NML 3.4 as announcements, I thought it’d be good to aggregate things that I’ve said around the forum about the upcoming additions,  These aren’t concrete changes, that’ll have to wait until a bit later, but here’s some of the stuff that’s coming:Improved badge management system
    We’re going to alleviate the grind with a format that is based on, but not identical to what @ATLAS-Z had suggested before - the Master stage 
    Improved early game progression
    The autumn campaign which will contain the Dragon Tongue and a really cool final reward.
    Some smaller improvements such as toggling auto-cover on/off and other combat UI improvements

Added after edit:
    A couple new traits for ranged survivors/weapons - one that is an improvement to Critical hits.
    New weapons - one that comes with a new effect.
    Minor bug fixes with the network exploits in combat and getting XP in cinema ads while on a booster
    New weapon effect

A proper 3.4 Announcement video&thread will come closer to the update in September.

I'm praying this is the solution, and whatever final form this had taken is something that the community as a whole loves...

But the ONE question that keeps popping into my head is... @Fluxxx with this, are round passes finally going away?

If you can't answer yet, that's cool.

• TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,366
    > @ATLAS-Z said:
    > > @Fluxxx said:
    > Ok so since I’ve revealed some of the things that won’t be in NML 3.4 as announcements, I thought it’d be good to aggregate things that I’ve said around the forum about the upcoming additions,  These aren’t concrete changes, that’ll have to wait until a bit later, but here’s some of the stuff that’s coming:Improved badge management system
    > We’re going to alleviate the grind with a format that is based on, but not identical to what @ATLAS-Z had suggested before - the Master stage 
    > Improved early game progression
    > The autumn campaign which will contain the Dragon Tongue and a really cool final reward.
    > Some smaller improvements such as toggling auto-cover on/off and other combat UI improvements
    >
    > Added after edit:
    > A couple new traits for ranged survivors/weapons - one that is an improvement to Critical hits.
    > New weapons - one that comes with a new effect.
    > Minor bug fixes with the network exploits in combat and getting XP in cinema ads while on a booster
    > New weapon effect
    >
    > A proper 3.4 Announcement video&thread will come closer to the update in September.
    >
    > ________________________________
    >
    >
    > I'm praying this is the solution, and whatever final form this had taken is something that the community as a whole loves...
    >
    > But the ONE question that keeps popping into my head is... @Fluxxx with this, are round passes finally going away?
    >
    > If you can't answer yet, that's cool.

Round Passes are a terrible choice. It would be great if they removed them completely. The "play more to play less to play more to play less" gets us nowhere.

Besides it's a complicated mechanic for players to understand (specially beginners), and it adds a lot of visual clutter.
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    ATLAS-ZKarajocaShadowWalkerromeo
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,416
    If only someone had suggested a solution that totally did away with round passes, ensures that players that get to the same RSL score the same number of stars (this does NOT currently happen due to doubling stars from round passes) and would completely eliminate any additional development work as survivors and gear increase in level and effectiveness (like new abilities). Wait a second...

https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/comment/350520#Comment_350520
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

ATLAS-ZromeoBWils
    @Bill_ZRT I remember liking that suggestion a lot...

I think the only thing I recall having concern with is the incremental rewards? Like hero tokens, Class tokens, challenge crates, campaign tokens etc...

Can't remember how you proposed to work those in?

Could someone elect you start at Round 40 and collect everything up to there after one mission?

Bill_ZRTromeo
  • tabernactabernac Member Posts: 805
    From what I remember of @Bill_ZRT's suggestion there was a mechanism in which your starting round was a function of how far you had made it in a previous challenge. For example there is a built in max of -5 of your previous challenge. You would be able to start at a max of 40 only if you had made it to RSL 45 in the previous challenge.
    Bill_ZRTromeoBWils
    tabernac said:

From what I remember of @Bill_ZRT's suggestion there was a mechanism in which your starting round was a function of how far you had made it in a previous challenge. For example there is a built in max of -5 of your previous challenge. You would be able to start at a max of 40 only if you had made it to RSL 45 in the previous challenge.

That’s correct... the example I gave was exactly as you stated, 5 levels less than your max RSL on the last challenge (and this number is subject to tweaking, but 5 seems about right to me). I suggested this so you couldn't just collect rewards every week for no effort. If you made it to RSL 40, you could start at 35 the following week. You would earn all of the stars from the starting RSL to the RSL you choose to start at as if you played those levels and scored perfectly, earning all on the incremental rewards for those stars. Of course if you just collected the rewards at RSL 35 and didn’t play, you could start at a max of RSL 30 the following week. Again this is so someone can’t collect rewards without actually playing. At the same time it lessons the impact for people who need to take a week of for vacation, family situations, etc.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.

tabernacromeoBWils
    edited September 2019
    Gotcha, so if someone just came in and did the minimum to collect rewards for a few weeks, the max level they could start at would gradually drop week by week?

romeoBill_ZRT
    ATLAS-Z said:

Gotcha, so if someone just came in and did the minimum to collect rewards for a few weeks, the max level they could start at would gradually drop week by week?

That's right... it would drop by 5 levels every week (or whatever the magic number is) until you were back down to the starting RSL.

BWils