Are the Local Leaderboads Fixed?

vshield50vshield50 Member Posts: 2,093
Just wanted to ask if the local leaderboards were fixed to prevent people from being on multiple local leaderboards.

I realize that NG may not be able to prevent dishonest people from representing thmeselves from a different country than they reside but only being on one leaderboard would be an improvement towards a more accurate local board.

Comments

• vshield50vshield50 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited September 2019
    Better? I edited it to protect feelings.
    psychwolf
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,314
    Wondering how this can be dishonesty. It does nothing to the game. It's region based and if you log into a device with a different region, you are on a different board instantly.

What exactly does this do to the game that bothers you so much?
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    BWilsTCBRITOTHCross
    > Wondering how this can be dishonesty. It does nothing to the game. It's region based and if you log into a device with a different region, you are on a different board instantly.
    >
    > What exactly does this do to the game that bothers you so much?

It is definitely not honest.

But to answer your question the local leaderboard is meant to gauge your standing based on the region you occupy. If people from other countries start changing regions just so that they can be on another leaderboard then that takes away from the accuracy and point of having local leaderboards.

For me it is the principle behind it moreso than the board itself. People have to take willful steps to change the region on their phones just to jump on another country's leaderboard for a country they do not live in or represent....
  • Danski_46Danski_46 Member Posts: 874
    Not sure if this is possible but wouldn't people change region to buy the bundles? Comparatively US prices are 20% lower than Europe so that might be the reason.
    vshield50romeo
    > @Danski_46 said:
    > Not sure if this is possible but wouldn't people change region to buy the bundles? Comparatively US prices are 20% lower than Europe so that might be the reason.

Are we allowed to do that? If so which country has the best deal?
  • BWilsBWils Member Posts: 98
    I think people are switching country mode because the translation in game mode is either not ideal, or not exactly accurate. I really do not think it's to deceive or other nefarious intent. But bundle price also makes sense...why wouldn't NG make sure prices are equal among differing regions?

> @BWils said:
    > I think people are switching country mode because the translation in game mode is either not ideal, or not exactly accurate. I really do not think it's to deceive or other nefarious intent. But bundle price also makes sense...why wouldn't NG make sure prices are equal among differing regions?

I think apple and Google dictate that not NG. Prices that is but I could be wrong.
    TWDaddiction
    > @BWils said:
    > I think people are switching country mode because the translation in game mode is either not ideal, or not exactly accurate.

You can just changed the language for that. Not your phone's region.
  • BWilsBWils Member Posts: 98
    So you are saying that even folks in same region, could end up paying different price depending on whether they have iOS or android?

• TWDaddictionTWDaddiction Member Posts: 334
    Correct. iOS and android have been known to have different prices. Could even just be a dollar or two difference but still different. Not sure if this specific game is like that, but I’ve definitely played games where that’s the case (so I don’t see why it’d be any different)
    How much are these bundles for people in other regions?
  • mimicamimica Member Posts: 345
    Maybe some play on work with a desktop computer through emulator and that put them on US leaderboad, yesterday when I checked it was fixed, Bloody was #1 in US and I climb to #9, I'm back out of top 10 lol is something that doesn't bother me but I understand to who does.
    romeo
  • wrinkled_bagwrinkled_bag Member Posts: 712
    @vshield50 Canadian

Wish I had looked into this when I paid money for this game!
  • THCrossTHCross Member Posts: 463
    edited September 2019
    Question
    Why does the convenience of the default language I chose for my phone would make me dishonest

I've accepted long ago that some are better than others ...just like I accept that some spend more money than others...And most of all I accept that some have been playing longer than others
    I apply this for RL too
    All I can do is try to be better with what I have
    It makes life so much easier

PS money charged is based on iOS or Android and it's not affected by the default language setting as are the leaderboards

PS PS
    Google play for example will stop your purchases if you try to change regional settings and not being in the actual region and after they investigate the account will be suspended (I got this from conversation with Google play cuz my country is not supported for gift cards or PayPal payments)

posthuman
    KarajocaJaden
  • bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 2,048
    vshield50 said:

> @Danski_46 said:

> Not sure if this is possible but wouldn't people change region to buy the bundles? Comparatively US prices are 20% lower than Europe so that might be the reason.

Are we allowed to do that? If so which country has the best deal?

Far as I am concerned, that is an exploit.
    Danski_46MFJigsawromeo
  • bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 2,048
    As for the local lbs, yes I do agree it is not cool to change the region for whatever the reason (except if you've actually moved there to live or work).

As for the actual fix, it apparently works but only for those switching after the update.
    So if someone switched before the update, that name will remain on the lbs he might be switched to but that name would disappear if they switched now post update.
  • AndreaAndrea Member Posts: 735
    @vshield50 Italy I don't know the change now but this is the price
  • Huricane444Huricane444 Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2019
    Most expensive should be UK members with their Pounds
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,314
    > @vshield50 said:
    >
    > > Wondering how this can be dishonesty. It does nothing to the game. It's region based and if you log into a device with a different region, you are on a different board instantly.
    > >
    > > What exactly does this do to the game that bothers you so much?
    >
    > It is definitely not honest.
    >
    > But to answer your question the local leaderboard is meant to gauge your standing based on the region you occupy. If people from other countries start changing regions just so that they can be on another leaderboard then that takes away from the accuracy and point of having local leaderboards.
    >
    > For me it is the principle behind it moreso than the board itself. People have to take willful steps to change the region on their phones just to jump on another country's leaderboard for a country they do not live in or represent....

Understood!

The thing is that not everyone does it on purpose, with evil intentions. It's a game mechanic you can't avoid if you have a different region device or plays on an Android emulator which does not allow you to set location, for example.
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    KarajocaJaden
  • tjhookrtjhookr Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2019
    switching language (which causes leaderboard change, not region switch) does not cause the price to be calculated in other currency
    doing that is much more complicated and can be done once a year in google

we are quite fucked here in Hungary, the two bundles cost 10999 huf and 3933.19 huf which is about 35.74 USD and 12.78 USD
    It's probably because of the 27% tax we have here though
    KarajocaJaden
  • FluxxxFluxxx Community Manager Posts: 524
    bladgier said:

As for the local lbs, yes I do agree it is not cool to change the region for whatever the reason (except if you've actually moved there to live or work).

As for the actual fix, it apparently works but only for those switching after the update.

So if someone switched before the update, that name will remain on the lbs he might be switched to but that name would disappear if they switched now post update.

I confirm this. I've asked about a "refresh" of the leaderboards but it would be quite costly and risky, so there's nothing we can do for now until people start switching around.
    bladgierTCBRITOvshield50
    Thankfully there is only a handful of people exploiting the leaderboard but if for example all of us on the Global leaderboard got together and decided to all change our region to Canada or another country, that country's local leaderboard would be rendered obsolete and completely innaccurate.

That is an extreme case but the more people that do it the more the boards get thrown off.

@THCross if you change your language in the game it does not change your leaderboard. You have to change your region on your phone for it to change your LB.

Thanks @fluxx for checking on this and for the explanation! Much appreciated ;)
    Jaden
    > @Troublemaker said:
    > > @vshield50 said:
    > >
    > > > Wondering how this can be dishonesty. It does nothing to the game. It's region based and if you log into a device with a different region, you are on a different board instantly.
    > > >
    > > > What exactly does this do to the game that bothers you so much?
    > >
    > > It is definitely not honest.
    > >
    > > But to answer your question the local leaderboard is meant to gauge your standing based on the region you occupy. If people from other countries start changing regions just so that they can be on another leaderboard then that takes away from the accuracy and point of having local leaderboards.
    > >
    > > For me it is the principle behind it moreso than the board itself. People have to take willful steps to change the region on their phones just to jump on another country's leaderboard for a country they do not live in or represent....
    >
    > Understood!
    >
    > The thing is that not everyone does it on purpose, with evil intentions. It's a game mechanic you can't avoid if you have a different region device or plays on an Android emulator which does not allow you to set location, for example.

I do agree here @Troublemaker but the person in question was not on the leaderboard after the update but then he changed his region again to be on the US board. That is why I took his actions as dishonest.

After this post he is no longer on the US leaderboard so that person must have switched back now.

Can close this thread now that Fluxx weighed in on the fix ;)
  • KarajocaKarajoca Member Posts: 84
    You don't have to change region in the settings i doubt that's even working for most devices.
    LANGUAGE in phone settings, NOT in game, change your local leaderboard in game. @vshield50 Change it yourself and see.

You are accusing people,but most of them just buy new device, phone settings set by default to English(US) or UK, depending on device.
    Or, Me, personally, i always like to use English language on all devices, i am used to it, looks natural, and better. And while you think this is all conspiracy against you, this is likely what is happening for 99% of players(maybe few of them was really using this on purpose)

But looks like it's finally fixed and no need to discuss it anymore
    BWilstjhookrTHCrossJaden
  • SPC_TORRESSPC_TORRES Member Posts: 1,868
    I may just "Prowl" the leader boards and see what happens

Jenng