Fundamental flaw in gold crate code

I am personally very disappointed that after promising to fix the reward system, this did not happen.

While I can save up enough trade goods to buy legendary equipment crates, the most likely scenario is I will get something I don't really need. I also don't have enough resources to upgrade this equipment anyway. So I am choosing to buy gold crates for 500 TG where I can receive 15 rewards instead of 1 potentially useless piece of legendary equipment. Unfortunately most of the time this is giving weapons/armor that is 2-3 levels BELOW my survivor levels ie NOT USABLE and only scraps for 3-4K at best. This is the exact same problem that existed when challenge rewards were gold crates.

When I do an exploration mission and get a gold crate, if there is a weapon in it, it is level appropriate. So why can't you make weapons from the gold crates from TG appropriate to my survivor level?? This is all we have been asking for all along and you did not fix it.

All you have to do is program for the weapon to be at the level of the highest survivor of that type. I have experience in programming. This is not difficult. Therefore, you are choosing to ignore a massive error in your code that has been frustrating fans of your game for months. Why make the game less enjoyable to play? It boggles my mind.
masmith93ZeenaSurvivor420[Deleted User]RickGramesStinkyMissSFXautumn_ashOvidmikel[Deleted User]Avengersbigbeano

Comments

• bumshoebumshoe Member Posts: 322
    I thought it was posted by staff that it was to your highest level character. Maybe this is a system not working as it was designed too
    When soft cap comes I quit the game.
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    "OldGoth Staff March 1
    Let's see if I can clear this up.

As we're launching (and we will make changes to what's on offer later), the Trade Goods shop includes crates in five varieties: silver and gold (exactly as you're used to receiving in the mission rewards screen), and three rarities of equipment crates: rare, epic, legendary.

The three rarity crates guarantee you a minimum rarity equipment (weapon or armor) at a level usable to your current highest survivor's level. Rare is rare or very rarely epic, Epic is epic or very rarely legendary, Legendary is legendary.

The thinking is that instead of hoping for a very good roll on the reward crates (level, type of loot, rarity all to your liking), you can save up your Trade Goods and only roll on the Legendary crates, for instance. Then you're only rolling between weapon and armor and its specific type."

dryguy05
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    @AysatyoPet Based on that my understanding is that the 'usable' text only applies to the 'three rarity crates' and NOT to the standard gold and silver crates.
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    My take on it too. The gold crates are just as good as the ones in missions. 95% of them get scrapped.
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    yes, i understand that much.. but what does "usable" means? any equipment with same level or lower than the survivor level is equip-able to the said survivor, but is it all considered usable? what is the level range when they said "usable"? is it initial level equal to survivor level? is it initial level -3 to survivor level? devs should confirm this..

ggbats
  • HeroicWarriorHeroicWarrior Member Posts: 24
    I think I got Lucky! Found a very good weapon ,
  • masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,512
    @HeroicWarrior What crate did you buy and what level are you players?
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • HeroicWarriorHeroicWarrior Member Posts: 24
    @masmith93 ,it's a legendary level crate & i have few L16 players
  • OldGothOldGoth Staff Posts: 297
    Some more clarifications.

The mission reward crates and the Gold (or Silver) crates brought from the Trade Goods shop use the same drop probabilities and level rules. There is literally no difference.

Leveling the drops to a "useful" range for you guys is much more complicated than it seems. We're shooting for within 0-2 levels of your current best survivors, but the results may deviate a bit, depending on your circumstances. Again, it's complicated, but essentially the problem is that the drop system doesn't know the specifics of your survivors, and we need to calculate it another way. Thus, we're not going to guarantee a given level, only the rarity, while doing our best to make the TG drops always useful.

That said, note the balancing changes inbound tomorrow, which will adjust the TG crate drop levels a bit to help with this problem.
    jim_james
  • ratonraton Member Posts: 164
    @OldGoth i collected 7500 and recive stuff 2 levels bellow my higher survivour level, that is completely unfair!! Im level 43, to what level i have to go to assure level 17 stuff?
    1KrazyKanuck
  • masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,512
    edited March 2016
    @oldgoth why wouldn't it be based on the workshop instead of the survivor level? Survivor levels fluctuate. If I opt to retired maxed survivors after I get replacements from radio calls, it may take me a few weeks to level those players. Why would I get level 10 eq when my workshop is level 12?

I have a level 10 bruiser from a radio call and regularly get level 15/16 eq - which is how it should be.
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
    Ovidmikel
  • ZeenaZeena Member Posts: 126
    Just for information. My highest survivor level is 15 but most of my survivors are 14, especially the ones I use on missions. And a few of my survivors are level 13, 12,11,9 (probably should just toss the 9 lol). When I open a legendary crate for 7500 trade goods I usually get a level 14 weapon or amours, which is great!
    BUT here's the rub, out the five or six crates I opened I got two of the same exact 14 leg weapon for my bruiser who I never use, so that weapon will not be used. Then I got leg 13 amour for the bruiser. So while it is "usable" it is a waste in regards to what survivors I am using. Then I got a 14 leg weapon and amour for a scout, who I also barely use.

This entire game I've never gotten a legendary hunter weapon or amour. That's all I want!
    SenoiaSurvivorggbats
  • Sipher07Sipher07 Member Posts: 591
    Scout needs buff
    Survivor420TheLostOnesSynapseRanger
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    Last 4 epic legendary crates I have received armor 2 below my survivor levels.. here we are again ,

@OldGoth I thought you guys adjusted this ?
    I'm not sure how we are supposed to get level appropriate epic/leg. gear except from deadly missions and now that there won't be a deadly on weekly challenges , even less of a chance. Very frustrating
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    For my level 16 survivors who already have gear upgraded to 18 , yippee!
  • basiaMDbasiaMD Member Posts: 58
    I appreciate the attempt to balance the drops but I'm still getting equipment 1-3 levels below my survivor levels. Perhaps less often 3 below but otherwise not a great improvement. Still have never gotten a usable weapon or armor from gold chest purchased with TG.
    1KrazyKanuck
  • 1KrazyKanuck1KrazyKanuck Member Posts: 26
    basiaMD said:

I appreciate the attempt to balance the drops but I'm still getting equipment 1-3 levels below my survivor levels. Perhaps less often 3 below but otherwise not a great improvement. Still have never gotten a usable weapon or armor from gold chest purchased with TG.

Same thing is happening with me.
  • SenoiaSurvivorSenoiaSurvivor Member Posts: 528
    Ok so we have been doing a little research and experimentation in our guild. It seems that when we upgrade the weapons workshop the level of weapons in crates go up. I am consistently getting lvl 13 weapons from the 500 Gold Crates. That is an average of the lvl of my survivors. My workshop has not been yet been upgraded yet since last upgrading the council.

The only change I wish we could have is to remove armor from those legendary and epic gear crate . If I'm spending 7500 TG, I don't want armor.

ggbats
  • SantescoSantesco Member Posts: 45
    Im no coding mod but add an achievement for each survivor level gained. Then make a line in coding to match lvl to highest lvl achievement
  • GlookerjdcGlookerjdc Member Posts: 127
    Same here... Level of drops not equal to my highest level player... Level,of crates usually worse than mission drops and/or almost always bruiser gear (2-3 levels below my bruiser levels)

So, what other than some new pretty graphics was fixed (supposedly) in today's legendary epically delayed update?
    Survivor420
  • AkartikiAkartiki Member Posts: 143
    I've been getting level 18 gear which i can't upgrade yet.

"Dasein always understands itself in terms of its existence--in terms of a possibility of itself: to be itself or not itself." Heidegger
  • DIblisDIblis Member Posts: 684
    To the staff, why doesnt the game know our specific survivors lvls?
    We have to be constantly tied to the internet for apparently social media reasons?
    So why?
    If you cant get a feature to work then why add it?
    Leader - The 75th Rangers

Next Games - Quality Freemium Butchers - Purveyors of Fine Fresh Nerf - We Take the Luck Away From Choice Cuts

Next Games - Great Leaders in Redefining Value in a Virtual World
    Survivor420
  • smokvasmokva Member Posts: 154
    My gold and silver crates are also giving me gear 2-3 levels lower than my survivors' levels. (I'm referring to exploration missions in this case.)
    My survivors are all at Level 12, my workshop is at max level possible, and I am getting Level 9 and 10 'uncommon' and 'rare' weapons and gear in my silver and gold crates. (Since when is 'uncommon' gear considered a silver or gold crate worthy??)
    Duplicate and inappropriate gear (shooter gear if you don't have shooter) don't bother me as I consider that the luck of the draw.
    But these low level 'rewards' are just completely useless.
    Even scrapping them gives you less xp than a normal crate.
    Could this possibly be a bug? Maybe an unintended side-effect of trying to balance aspects of the game?
    Or is this simply the new way of things?
    If it is the latter, fine. It's NG's game and they can do as they like regardless of how we feel about it.
    But please let us know as I could then stop spending the 50 gold chasing the elusive gold crate.
  • theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    Sounds like it's just not working as intended. I would not be happy saving up 7500TG & getting lvl 14 equipment if my highest survivor was lvl 16.
    * I put "hero" and "heroes" in quotes for a reason.
    ** Still on a spending boycott of equipment and gas booster and gold.
    ggbats
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Member Posts: 180
    A member of my guild pulled a level 17 legendary weapon, his highest level survivor is 15. Obviously can't even use it.
    Maverick1969
  • MetalHeadMetalHead Member Posts: 5
    I have the opposite problem. Newer player with no legendary survivors but I have several epic that are maxed at level 17. Once I finished mission 11 most of my equipment on gold crates and deadly missions is level 18. I have no level 18 survivors and obviously can't train any as we are maxed on training ground. Is this normal? Can I assume a training ground upgrade is coming soon?
  • JennyJenny Member Posts: 346
    To be honest, I haven't gotten a single usable weapon or armor from the gold crates that cost 500TG. It's not useful to get a weapon 2-3 levels lower than my highest survivors and I am near max on survivors and am a player level 45.75. I would personally rather have the XP or tomatoes because I've never gotten a weapon above level 15 from the 500TG gold crates. This is a big let down when you consider the amount of XP I get from scrapping them vs. the XP a gold crates gives. Maybe a suggestion would be to make a crate the offers gauranteed supplies since there's already a garaunteed gear crate.
    Survivor420
  • personlllpersonlll Member Posts: 79
    I have level 17 survivors, and I get level 13-16 equipment from trade good crates. Very disappointing considering I get level 15-18 gear from exploration missions.
    mcbkhicks
  • basiaMDbasiaMD Member Posts: 58
    @personlll what player level are you? i'm player level 41 and have level 17 survivors. whether it's the 7500 legendary crate or the 500, the equipment i get is never above level 15. guys in my guild who are level 44+ are getting level 18 equipment from those legendary creates... i'm wondering if it's tied to your player level.
    Japes87
  • MateMate Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I have the same problem but, i get only level 18 equipments, i am on the highest level of all buildings, my survivors are at level 16.
    I use the "guaranteed epic" crates and spend 3500 TG to get an equipment that i cant use, please just fix it! The highest possible starting level of equipment should be equal to the current max survivorlevel. Its not difficult....
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.