F2P / Freemium

Seen a few post on the forum complaining about F2P being impossible so just want to say F2P is possible if you got a lot of time. #FACT

GOLD. On average one week, it is possible to get around 600 gold from opening crates, daily rewards, video, etc.
This is done by doing 4 missions (1 gas missions if short of gas) per hour hence opening 24 crates per hour. This not only gives you the chance to get more gold but also gas and radios.
The 600 gold findings allows the distance reset (400 gold) and still got 200 gold to save or to heal or buy gas.

GAS. The daily 30 gas for 1500 TG during challenge days helps significantly
With the introduction of Master Mission, less gas is needed for the earlier easier rounds.

WEAPONS. NG has given out Kingdom Spear (Long Range), golden assault rifle, festive shotgun, dragon tongue and etc during the seasonal campaigns so can't complaint there. Just need to reset the distance during the seasonal campaign to get these precious weapons.

COMPONENTS. By opening a lot of crates and by resetting the distance every week, the blue and green components will add up. When there is the component event, just swap to legendary. Simple.

GUILD. Plenty of tricks and tips from guild mates will help in the long run. Every gifts helps too.

Personally I do hope that NG rewards all paying players by introducing some sort of extras like +5 luck for the week everytime money is spent. Or even give an active extra bonus traits for a period of time after spending.

Thank you NG
ATLAS-ZDanski_46AchillesVaquilaMFJigsawTroublemakeranthony172

Comments

• rogueDSrogueDS Member Posts: 375
    I will post my stars if it helps. When I never play gold or buy gas. I also dont play much on nights and barely ever over weekend. I can still get 1400 to 1500 stars easy. That is playing all MM
  • BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 373
    At this point in the game the big difference between F2P (or almost F2P) and high spenders is that the high spenders have 3-4 pink star hero rosters, while the rest has 0-1 pink star heroes.
    SCBMAArtminiusRiotZappamack22
  • IcePeterIcePeter Member Posts: 52
    ATLAS-Z said:

If the F2P just pony up and purchase a few key gear pieces, you're not going to break your bank and you'll have much more fun.

- Harpoon (in shop today)

- Kingdom Spear (tactical)

- Morgan staff (tactical)

- Winter bow

Actually, I think most F2P don’t spend based on principle, not cost. Buying gear might feel like cheating. Besides, everything you listed but the harpoon gun has been available for free in the game. Purchasing gear is certainly the fast and easy way to get it, but not the only way. F2P just requires more time commitment to make up the difference.

SCBMAreekookrRiotZappamack22
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 3,325
    > @IcePeter said:
    > (Quote)
    > Actually, I think most F2P don’t spend based on principle, not cost.

That's a principle I'd love to discuss at length.

Anyone care to elaborate on this principle?

I remember when I was a kid my friend siphoned off his pay cable TV from a neighbor so in essence,
    ...he was a "Free-to-watch" consumer.

So who's the cheater? The guy paying the bill? Or the guy getting his TV for free?

Maybe I'm way off here. I'll wait patiently to be schooled. :wink:
    Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]
  • SCBMASCBMA Member Posts: 2,290
    @ATLAS-Z
    There are plenty of old timers on this forum who are FTP and do incredibly well in the competitive challenges. It’s a free game and no one should feel pressured to spend and the spenders shouldn’t feel a sense of “entitlement”. There is actually a club, I won’t tag the founder, called the CBTP and they for sure, are no slouches when it comes to competitive play whilst staying FTP,
    Bill_ZRTRiotZappaPaste
  • imnfictionimnfiction Member Posts: 194
    edited February 19
    @ATLAS-Z the example with TV is not valid here, it would work better to picture people hacking NWM for infinite gold, etc. Your friend was 'steal-to-watch' if I may say so.

Talking about the principle, it might be different for various players. I will only speak for myself.

I don't spend money in this game, because I don't want to do it :smile: I also know that once I start, I will spend again and again, doesn't have to be hundreds of $, but nevertheless unless I quit the game I will repeat it. And again, I don't want to do it.

On the other hand , this game is enjoyable in F2P, and it's enough that I already spend my time on it.

As I've mentioned in my upper post, it is also about the goals - since I don't have a goal of having my name in the top 10 leaderboard - I don't see a point to pay for it.

Obviously, this is an opinion, if I understand right - this is what you have been asking for.

As they say, variety is a spice of life. :)
    My F2P challenge videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAl_96Zig2NXqvGM_2Mf5Aw
    imnfiction#8607 on Discord.
    SCBMARiotZappa
  • ArtminiusArtminius Member Posts: 482
    I think the "on principle" added an unintended connotation of some kind of judgement by the FTPer.
    Perhaps "by choice" would be more accurate.

For me, I was FTP initially, then started "tipping": buying small bundles that had (for example) +1 Survivor Slot or a special functionality weapon. Recently, I've upped spending a bit because there are so many special functionality weapons and I'm at max level (so I'm not wasting money getting something soon to obsolesce).

That said... the ever increasing level cap is now outstripping my Reinforcement Token gain rate; and so I might be throwing in the towel on paying for anything other than occasional gold for guild gifts when they are discounted. WAY too many items in "The Collection" that are slowly fading into the past. :frowning:

But WRT the OP: Yes, the game is very enjoyable and playable FTP. I wouldn't still be here if not! :wink:
    GradyPaste
    @SCBMA I actually agree with you, and as such I don't pressure my team to spend. This game has an excellent F2P experience.

@imnfiction I completely agree and understand fighting your own weakness. I share that weakness too. If that's your primary reason for being F2P I completely understand.

That said, (budgets permitting) if you're someone who would buy a $60 console game, then you can opt to limit yourself to $60 on this game. Figure out which of the two had given you the most joy and excellent gaming.

If you're someone who would never buy video games at all, ever, and your just here to kill time... Well ok then. Keep on keeping on.
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
  • DrunkenDrunken Member Posts: 1,357
    > @ATLAS-Z said:

>
    > That said, (budgets permitting) if you're someone who would buy a $60 console game, then you can opt to limit yourself to $60 on this game. Figure out which of the two had given you the most joy and excellent gaming.
    >
    > If you're someone who would never buy video games at all, ever, and your just here to kill time... Well ok then. Keep on keeping on.
    >
    >

Eh here’s the problem this statement is wrong. A 60 console game is forever! You can play it till the system breaks 50 years down the road.

NML will eventually be shutdown. This game will eventually go away. This game isn’t gonna be around in 10 years.

And I spend, I probably spend more than most players. Anytime they do double bundles I buy out the store!!
    edited February 19
    @ATLAS-Z I’m someone who buys the games very rare, left 4 dead was a good example where you could only play online via steam .. otherwise one had to bother with hacked servers, which I didn’t want to do.

I don’t kill the time, I enjoy this game and moreover the social part in the guild where I am at the moment. My point is that I don’t feel that paying for extra weapons will make it more enjoyable. :)
    My F2P challenge videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAl_96Zig2NXqvGM_2Mf5Aw
    RiotZappa
    @Firekid

Still kinda disagree, I would love to see breakdown of full revenue. In game is only part of it. Downloads, advertising, and other crap I don’t know make up other portion
    imnfictionRiotZappa
    @Firekid, I am watching their ads regularly. Doesn’t it add more profit than a one time donation?

Guess, should they run out of money, a donation is not going to save it. They would need to change their business model completely, e.g. to a monthly subscription or similar.
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,137
    @Drunken i get what your saying but every little helps doesn’t it?
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,137
    @imnfiction you can still carry on watching the ads as well as make a donation 😉
    @Firekid :smile: point taken.
    Firekid
    And if your donation includes getting a fun New weapon to play with?

Win win
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,365
    High quality post from a low quality person!

Just kidding. Welcome to the forums @rapidsagii! There are many ladies here for you to flirt with.
    WellyLugaTroublemaker
  • IcePeterIcePeter Member Posts: 52
    Good discussion! I honestly hadn’t considered that some might consider playing a free app for free to be like stealing cable. I likened it more to sticking with FM radio over XM (why pay for radio when it’s free?), but I get it. This is a bit more in depth than Candy Crush, and at some point we all make a decision whether to invest more time or money (or both) in the game.
    @ATLAS-Z I clearly see a rationale behind this win-win, and I respect such choice of P2P players.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t change my opinion and I’ll happily and consciously stay in the F2P zone, for the reasons already explained.

I like this discussion, as it helps to better understand different approach to gaming, guess its win-win as well thanks to sharing various opinions. I’m pretty sure there are even more reasons why players choose to pay or not.

Cheers. :smile:
    Firekid
    @imnfiction i choose to pay because I make entirely way too much, plus the last game I dedicated this effort to I made 20k so I’m giving back to the gaming community
    FirekidManselle
  • rapidsagiirapidsagii Member Posts: 2
    edited February 20
    Wow! Interesting read.

I was trying to suggest to NG to introduce extra bonus for P2P players.
    Imagine if you spend money and you get an extra bonus heroes trait for that week.

The heroes traits that are very useful but we don't actually use it often on high levels where we only use HDaryl, RGG, SRick, Morgan, Sasha, Eugene as leader.

Carl's - say your bruiser got hit by a level 45 walker but got a chance to survive cause you got Carls bonus trait as a bonus for being a P2P.
    Rosita and Dwight - additional damage
    Negan and Jerry - less damage.

So different week got different bonus heroes trait if you are a P2P. This can linked to the heroes of the week radio call. So this week you will get Merle's heroes trait as bonus if you spend.
    And most important, those less use heroes will actually get use for once.

I hope the above make sense.

• MrChrisMrChris Member Posts: 101
    Would never say that this game is p2w. Of course, in every or almost every phone game it's easier to reach higher lvl/stats, if you spend some money, but here you can reach all things just by spending time and with proper spending resources.

Furthermore, developers aren't charity and I guess they don't want to live just by commercials and probably wouldn't be able to. I even think that all of us should spend some money from time to time, because game is basically free and they should have some motivation to improve it. If nobody buys their product, they won't develop and expand it anymore. Especially they need to pay employees, maintain servers and I guess they also pay for license from AMC. I'm not a fan of investing in games, but here I bought 24h gas few times during Tomato Mondays and now when I'm close to 27lvl, I think of few weapons.
    It's not PC game, where you buy complete product and you expect everyone will have the same chances with only possibility to buy visual stuff.
    Johnbert
  • PastePaste Member Posts: 147
    I'm coming from C&C Rivals where you play in real time vs other players, and winning gets you harder opponents. F2P players are punished/challenged extra for being skilled by having to play against whales, and bad balance can be abused by unskilled players so they win as well.

This game is not "real" pvp in that sense (you always play vs AI), levels are adapted to your levels, and balance isn't a problem either (it would be if GW defenders had badges). So paying only helps you progress faster, there's no punishment or sense of injustice.
    Johnbert
  • rogueDSrogueDS Member Posts: 375
    About to start MM level 43. I have only spent maybe 100 dollars on game in 4 years. Lots of weapons you can get in quests and for free mostly. I consider gold for distance resets free because its easy to gain and save. I did just spend 7.99 on harpon.l bundle. I might spend once every 4 months.
    mack22