Improvement to Overwatch, Vigilant and Defensive Stance

ThunderstormThunderstorm Member Posts: 89
edited August 2020 in Suggestions & Ideas

Dear NG ( @Fluxxx , @zbot )

Firstly, thanks again for giving us the 5 s upgrade event within the rewards period of the Stardust Challenge. You guys truly subvert my expectation. Reminded me of Game of Thrones. :)

I’ve been thinking about Overwatch and the two related survivor traits, namely Vigilant and Defensive Stance. All three are not often used by experienced players. I would like to suggest some changes.

Definition of Overwatch: To watch over; To provide effective cover for others or self

In the military, overwatching units will position themselves with optimum observational view of the surrounding. Obviously, units which are on watch duty and stationary will have a higher accuracy than those who are moving. I know NML is not a military game but hear me out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 2 cases when overwatch kicks in:

Case 1: A survivor not moving and immediately overwatch (when end turn)

Case 2: A survivor moves 1 AP and then overwatch (when end turn)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a)  Out of these 2, it’s obvious that Case 1 overwatch is more ‘accurate’ than Case 2 overwatch because he’s not moving. Hence, overwatch damage in Case 1 should be much higher, I would recommend 100% of base damage. It favors those who are not moving.

(b)  For Case 2, the overwatch damage should be increased from 50% to 75% of base damage.

(c)  I would also suggest a slight increase in the % of each level of Vigilant and Defensive Stance traits (maybe add 3 - 5% to each).

With these said, Vigilant and Defensive Stance become more important again. Players may reconsider them while planning their strategy.

Anyway, just my thought in making useless traits back to useful again. Hope NG will reply to this genuine improvement. <finger-crossed>.

BurmeliinisHerbergeTroublemakerShadowWalkerTCBRITOT_12ATLAS-ZNovell

Comments

• HerbergeHerberge Member Posts: 234
    This topic is timely.  I have this weapon for bruiser with interrupter trait but its not working at higher level, as I try to read again its function, it says it will work 100% as long as it is not body shot.  I could not understand, an overwatch still results to body shot which turned the weapon with interruptor trait useless. 
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,469
    Makes sense!
  • ShadowWalkerShadowWalker Member Posts: 914
    I had previously suggested that NG adds razor/piercing to Vigilant, and a chance to get a bodyshot to Defensive Stance. Nothing too crazy, maybe 10% at LV 5 and goes up to 15% at lv 10. I used the same kind of argument that your survivors should be better prepared for attacks while in Overwatch. That seems to have fallen on deaf ears though, so hopefully your suggestion makes it.
    TroublemakerThunderstorm
    Also thanks for triggering me with GOT. I am still in recovery.
    Thunderstorm
  • ThunderstormThunderstorm Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2020
    GoT is my all-time favorite of mine, up until Episode 8. In-between, there were feelings of pain and jaw-drop due to my expectations being subverted. Have you tried the GoT mobile game yet?
    GoT is my all-time favorite of mine, up until Episode 8. In-between, there were feelings of pain and jaw-drop due to my expectations being subverted. Have you tried the GoT mobile game yet?
    I tried it when it first came out, I quit because those types of games aren't for me. It's the equivalent of lighting a dumpster on fire and whoever throws in the most money wins. 
    ThunderstormT_12
  • ghost_pepperghost_pepper Member Posts: 816
    I helped further break that broken flaming turd Game of Thrones Ascent, the fb and phone app game. Those developers did not deserve their community and they knowingly pushed a gamble-centric pay system to huge masses of GoT thrones. If the definition of insanity is repeating things that will give you the same results, but expecting different results, i may need to examine why I'm here.

And i love the idea of making these useless traits usefull. In any way, make them usefull.
    ThunderstormT_12
  • T_12T_12 Member Posts: 728

Dear NG ( @Fluxxx , @zbot )

Firstly, thanks again for giving us the 5 s upgrade event within the rewards period of the Stardust Challenge. You guys truly subvert my expectation. Reminded me of Game of Thrones. :)

I’ve been thinking about Overwatch and the two related survivor traits, namely Vigilant and Defensive Stance. All three are not often used by experienced players. I would like to suggest some changes.

Definition of Overwatch: To watch over; To provide effective cover for others or self

In the military, overwatching units will position themselves with optimum observational view of the surrounding. Obviously, units which are on watch duty and stationary will have a higher accuracy than those who are moving. I know NML is not a military game but hear me out.

There are 2 cases when overwatch kicks in:

Case 1: A survivor not moving and immediately overwatch (when end turn)

Case 2: A survivor moves 1 AP and then overwatch (when end turn)

(a)  Out of these 2, it’s obvious that Case 1 overwatch is more ‘accurate’ than Case 2 overwatch because he’s not moving. Hence, overwatch damage in Case 1 should be much higher, I would recommend 100% of base damage. It favors those who are not moving.

(b)  For Case 2, the overwatch damage should be increased from 50% to 75% of base damage.

(c)  I would also suggest a slight increase in the % of each level of Vigilant and Defensive Stance traits (maybe add 3 - 5% to each).

With these said, Vigilant and Defensive Stance become more important again. Players may reconsider them while planning their strategy.

Anyway, just my thought in making useless traits back to useful again. Hope NG will reply to this genuine improvement. <finger-crossed>.

Damn! This really makes a lot of sense and brings otherwise useless traits back into much deserved relevance and consideration. Thanks for putting this out here. Hoping NG looks into this ASAP.
    The only way to survive a mad world is to embrace the madness.
    Thunderstorm
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 5,301
    Yes +1

#Zombrex (Neo / Horizon / (OG) / Genesis / Prime / Elite) 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX FAMILY. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

Send me a PM
    Thunderstorm
  • BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 1,003
    That small tweak would be nice but I don't think it really would change much anything. Overwatch is useful for melee classes with 2-range weapons as it is as well as for bruisers, and in rare cases for ranged. A bit more damage would not really change anything.

However, what would be really nice would be to be able to select your target. So if you end your turn in overwatch, you would have the option of selecting any enemy as your target. This would improve overwatch A LOT, especially for ranged, where overwatch often is really bad as they often select a suboptimal target.
    Ingame username: Jubjab
    T_12
  • ghost_pepperghost_pepper Member Posts: 816
    edited September 2020
    That small tweak would be nice but I don't think it really would change much anything. Overwatch is useful for melee classes with 2-range weapons as it is as well as for bruisers, and in rare cases for ranged. A bit more damage would not really change anything.

However, what would be really nice would be to be able to select your target. So if you end your turn in overwatch, you would have the option of selecting any enemy as your target. This would improve overwatch A LOT, especially for ranged, where overwatch often is really bad as they often select a suboptimal target.
    +1

Overwatch for ranged is about as good as the pathing movements, it makes no sense at all why the game would ever think anyone would want to move past a walker and get hit instead of along that wall and around the corner then out of range. Please grab me on the way. Yeah right.

Basically, after selecting End Turn, there would be a Select Overwatch feature where each hero with overwatch that turn gets to tap and select a walker or a square on the map. Tap the "Finish" button (maybe put it right where the End Turn button is on the bottom of the screen) and then repeat for any additional overwatch heros. If the selected walker attacks a hero, it gets overwatched. If any walker enters the square selected, overwatched. If overwatch worked better, then a buff to it would make game changing sense.
    I'm down for any Improvement to range but don't go trying to make sense of any video game especially this one oh, that's just folly

I do think that any improvements the OverWatch should be a couple notches down below improvements to the piercing trait in priority

Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Our page :

Send me a PM
    I'd also like to see a shooter damage buff and Improvement to the Sure Shot trait

Our page :

Send me a PM
    T_12