Anyone using the Deadly Spike and Hunting Bow?

I remember when they were given out as a reward and I upgraded them right away, but they are gathering dust on my shelf. I found them both less than ideal without Critical Damage and I use other weapons ahead of them. I maybe used the Hunting Bow a couple of times when we had charged shooters, but once you hit +5 RSL, you got to move after shooting and the Winter Bow is much better in pretty much all situations. Just curious if anyone is using these weapons and I'm missing something about them.
pnusThüringer

Comments

• ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,243
    I used the bow plenty , but as you say after difficulty 40 or so Shooters mostly suck and it doesn't matter what weapon they have

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    marroba2000RiotZappaSg_Death
  • SuperheroSuperhero Member Posts: 181
    I intentionally missed the bow. The knife is still unleveled. Reports from my guild mates let me come to the result, that my XP is better invested in other stuff.
  • LoneWanderer360LoneWanderer360 Member Posts: 501
    I use the bow a lot with Aaron. I usually don't get past 36 but it works for me up to that point.
    I upgraded the spike and it is the highest damage scout weapon I have. I don't ever use it though because I like to keep walkers away from me. I like the swift strike spear. I might use it once in a while, but only with drive by Daryl.
  • ghost_pepperghost_pepper Member Posts: 382
    Deadly spike is a pos. Give it the hard pass it deserves.

The bow is good if you're mid game or early end game, especially if you play Tara as leader. Then it is very very good in her hands.

The point of playing Tara as leader is because the other heros aren't ready yet. She may become obsolete at the finish line but for 95% of the game she's really quite good. That's when the bow is good. Because threat reduction. Because ranged. Because chance to fully charge. Tara keeps healing and so does everyone else. This can help you get much further in challenge and guild wars than you otherwise would without super gear and super badges. Super tactics alone are not enough.

And all the gold/time saved from challenge and guild wars heals. Oh wow. Put this bow in Tara's hands and let her go to work!
    RiotZappaGovernatorThüringerThunderstorm
  • ЖенёкЖенёк Member Posts: 6
    And all the gold/time saved from challenge and guild wars heals. Oh wow. Put this bow in Tara's hands and let her go to work!
    Exactly what I do! And, don't  forget about explosive  barrels and walkers. It's pretty hard to make "boom" without anyone, who can shoot! 
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 2,611
    The hunting bow is in ricks hands and it is awesome, just need to reroll lucky on him as he really does get charged nearly everytime once you’ve killed 3 enemies. He now leads a bruiser and alpha in the distance maps 5-19/20. Shame shooters are pants though. 
    GovernatorSarge_
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 2,529
    edited August 19
    I occasionally find myself using the spike during charged scouts, the damage output is nice and it's good for a quick guaranteed TR but outside of that the destructive Daryl knife and spear are better. If I didn't have those, maybe?

As mentioned earlier the real question isn't about the bow, it's is anyone using shooters? They are desperately in need of a buff. Scouts and bruisers dominate, Sasha and assaults is often useful. I can't remember the last time I needed a shooter for the challenge and I would never take one in a GW mission.
    ShadowWalkerBurmeliinisghost_pepper
    I would also like a buff to shooters but not really sure what could give them that boost? I mean a good start would be to give them the same bodyshot damage reduction as melee. Maybe give them scout movement too could then possibly be useful with beta? 
    Does this question need a thread of its own? 
    GovernatorThüringerBurmeliinis
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 2,529
    Firekid said:
    I would also like a buff to shooters but not really sure what could give them that boost? I mean a good start would be to give them the same bodyshot damage reduction as melee. Maybe give them scout movement too could then possibly be useful with beta? 
    Does this question need a thread of its own? 
    Probably, yes. I think that shooters should have the same damage profile as scouts. They are basically the ranged counterparts, but if they had the same base damage and charge damage multipliers then I think the hunting bow would get more use. They would charge up really fast, be able to constantly reduce threat and the lack of damage they do wouldn't be a stopping factor.
    TCBRITOThüringer
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,430
    Hunting Bow should have move like Winter Bow. One would be for big damage, other for TR.

But we all know both are basically useless anyway past lvl 42'ish.
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    GovernatorTCBRITOVovATLAS-Z
  • SparrowMervSparrowMerv Member Posts: 33
    I use the Bow on Maggie, found it to be very usefull and will always go with it when having human enemies since she can snipe the shit out of them, not to mention the charge points you can get back with her so you can get the easy kills on enemy shooters

Daryl has the deadly spike since Glenn already has a 110% chance on treat reduction every kill. I don't use him much only his charge ability at the end @ Distance
  • EngAamieEngAamie Member Posts: 58
    My knife us not upped and i didnt go for the bow. Both waepons have very limited usage.
    Governator
  • SpikedSpiked Member Posts: 151
    They should have never voted off destructive, so stupid. Shooters are limited enough and they vote off the one things that helps firepower.
    Danski_46GovernatorTCBRITObrucewayne007
  • brucewayne007brucewayne007 Member Posts: 264
    They ruined the Bow by not making it like the Winter Bow. Where you shoot without movement and then get 1/2 a move. 

And the Spike needed to have Gold Destructive with gold Razor and silver Threat Reduction. 
    Get rid of the charging trait. 
    To only have 1 chance to use threat reduction in the charge will limit the chance we use it. It’s just not enough TR. 
    @Firekid
    That’s not what I’m saying. 
    Keep all the bow traits and charge abilities as is. It’s just the simple movement trait which prevents the joy of the weapon of shooting and moving. 
    And Daryl’s Knife is powered in comparison to normal knives. The only reason people don’t use the Spike is the lack of Threat Reduction except in a charge. Which is not often
    These are only ways of making these weapons of more use. Unless you like us getting weapons that sit on the shelf gaining dust? 
    Maybe you like to sit back and look at your collection. But I enjoy using different weapons we have. 
    We need them to fit what we use them for. 
    That’s all. 
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,243
    @brucewayne007 the special functionality of the hunter bow is threat reduction. 

The special functionality on the Winter Bow is tactical movement.

You can't have both. 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    @ATLAS-Z

Of course I understand what they both do and the special functionalities of them. 
    The Shooter Class needs something to give them a leg up. Because at present they might as well not be there after 40-42. 
    I truly thought the Threat Reduction in the charge would help bring the Shooters back a bit. But the lack of movement and positioning limited it all again. 
    Otherwise we are just stuck with the same characters and strategies that have us grind those stars up to 50 and to Nightmare. 
    Even bringing in a CrossBow that is silent into the game. Or at least try and enhance the piercing trait to help with the lopsided Melee play. 
    The Bows are a great addition don’t get me wrong, but still need tweaks. 
    And I enjoy the “Deadly Spike”, but once they brought out Daryl’s knife with silver destructive (the same as the Spike). I was always going to use Daryl’s knife for the consistency of threat reduction. 
    I’m only wanting to bring ideas that can enhance the weapons so we use them more and therefore make the game more fun with better options to play with. 
    Because at present it’s the same weapons that we use. 
    Danski_46
    We will always use the “best weapon” you said yourself you like the spike but you’ve bought a better weapon than the one they gave out for free. If the spike was better than daryls knife then you would use the spike and complain that you paid for a weapon which is worse than the free one. 
    The bow is good and it’s not the lack of the movement which lets it down, it’s as you say the shooter class it’s self which is the issue. I like having a variety weapons but If everyone weapon was exactly the same or slightly better than the last then you have the same issue of only using the same few weapons (the best ones). 
    brucewayne007
  • ghost_pepperghost_pepper Member Posts: 382
    Either the spike should be 100% threat reduction on kills...

-or-

It should have built in tactical movement, even without the dr% part.

Because it's not a two spaced spear, the options for use are on a guaranteed charged kill, or in a diagonal hit while your bruiser is next to you and takes the next turns counter attack, or when prowling with Daryl.  Maps that encourage prowling and are not cluttered with tons of walkers are specific. Guaranteed charge kills are good but move after action makes the item useful on almost any type of map.

Move after action encourages more diverse play in a scout knife. Imo NG should add this feature into the Spike and make the item available periodically for the mid range players.
    FirekidGovernator
    @Firekid
    Acknowledged.
    Comparing with a paid weapon is probably not a great example and expectation on my behalf. 
    And I’m sure the Spiker weapon is great for F2P fighters. Which sometimes I can forget. 
    So they will be grateful for everything they get for free through these promotions and campaigns. 
    One day maybe NG would give us the opportunity to reroll a trait on a weapon to our preference like they have the Toons. 
    So for this time I will hoard and enjoy the collection hahaha :) 
    All the best and catch you in the game. 
    Firekid
    Thanks @brucewayne007. I’ve got a second account which is F2P and you really do learn to love the scraps on that account 😂. Although love rocking my tactical staff on there absolute game changer.  

brucewayne007