any tips>

hello i am just starting getting into this game, what should of focus on and what things should i do? use of gold? and what people should i upgrade? when i get new people from the outpost should i keep them or get rid and use for upgrading other people thanks!
SPC_TORREShunter_x

Comments

• SPC_TORRESSPC_TORRES Member Posts: 1,999
    Welcome to the game and forum @Kronixs14

it’s a long read but well worth the time 
    lots of useful stuff here, it has been awhile since I have really read it
    so a word of caution..... not sure if badge crafting was updated 
    but @JayZ has this post , great info
    https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium/p1

GovernatorKronixs14
  • BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 880
    Jay’s guide is not really a guide for beginners but it definitely has some great advice. Couple of additional points:

- only unlock a small number of key heroes. Leave the others unlocked. An unlocked hero will get your current max lvl so by waiting from lvl 10 to lvl 28 before unlocking a hero will save you a HUGE amount of XP. 
    - there are events when you get double xp or tomatoes. Buy a booster from the bm shop or with money then to quickly grind big amounts of supplies/xp.
    - make sure to get into a good guild suitable for your current lvl. When you get better and lvl up, move to a better guild. This is key to success as good guildmates will guide you !
    Ingame username: Jubjab
    FuriousMoldovanDeathwish19Kronixs14
  • AngelspitAngelspit Member Posts: 33
    Gotta love a mobile game based on our favorite TV show, with tons of playable characters!
    And by playable, I mean of course waiting until 2023 to unlock them to maximize progress!   :D
    hunter_xShadowWalkerATLAS-ZFuriousMoldovan
  • ScottyJScottyJ Member Posts: 37
    Yeah like has been mentioned,  I would try to get my camp fully upgraded and survivors to level 28 as quick as possible.

I did it without dishing out cash in 6 months 

I didn't unlock many characters  and focused on using every bit of gas I could as effectively as possible.

How to farm efficiently
    -use gas on free unlocks as much as possible, not when your free unlocks are spent.
    -buy gas with trade goods
    -use gold for gas in the black market and farm like crazy on full gas
    -lead with governor or Maggie when you can, and kill extra walkers for experience when you can
    -use upgraded equipment to scavenge on hard mode if you can
    -use upgraded armour with the experience bonus on it, you could use Maggie with upgraded experience armour to kill as much as possible and get extra xp
    -get your farms and tents maxed out

Once you get to max level everything gets easier,  you go way further in the challenge and you can unlock some more heroes.

I refused to purchase weapons until I was finished upgrading,  because its very hard to purchase weapons and keep them upgrading with your survivors 

Deathwish19hunter_xKronixs14
  • LoneWanderer360LoneWanderer360 Member Posts: 550
    Never unlock Jerry, Ezekiel, sniper Morgan. Never. 
    Deathwish19ShadowWalkerKronixs14Paste
    A small point is that if your assault can kill regular walkers in Scavenge, upgrade a lvl 1 (or as low as possible) armor with gold training gear. It gives the same xp boost and will only cost a very small amount of xp to upgrade. 

Also only scrap gear when you are on a double XP booster.
  • hunter_xhunter_x Member Posts: 368
    My tips are :
    - Unlocked maggie, governor and glenn
    - Leave the rest of heroes locked there, don't be fooled by how much tokens they have. It'll be headache on leveling up.
    - Survivor from free call, keep them if hey have good trait or trash them
    Kronixs14
  • Kfly12Kfly12 Member Posts: 3
    ScottyJ said:
    [snip]

How to farm efficiently
    -use gas on free unlocks as much as possible, not when your free unlocks are spent.
    -buy gas with trade goods
    -use gold for gas in the black market and farm like crazy on full gas
    -lead with governor or Maggie when you can, and kill extra walkers for experience when you can
    -use upgraded equipment to scavenge on hard mode if you can
    -use upgraded armour with the experience bonus on it, you could use Maggie with upgraded experience armour to kill as much as possible and get extra xp
    -get your farms and tents maxed out

[snip]
    Using gas on free unlocks - do you mean gold?  If you do mean gas, can you clarify what you mean?

During full gas periods, is it better to farm on normal difficulty for speed or hard mode?  I'm happy to do the math but if it's already been done I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

I'm a returning player that played very casually for a while a few years back and am player level 55/survivor level 18.  Hoping to add to this thread to help simarly "new" players, next thing I'm working on is a "breakeven" point for completing normal Distance vs. doing hard Distance partway only.
  • ScottyJScottyJ Member Posts: 37
    To answer your questions @Kfly12

Your 4 free unlocks are restored every hour. So when I do missions,  I'll do 4 missions and use free unlocks to open 6 crates. Even if I have more gas, I'll stop doing missions so I can use that gas when I can open 6 crates again later.   The only exception to this rule is when you have full gas. I try to never have a full tank so I'm always producing more.

For farming on a full gas booster, I only do it on hard if I can still kill walkers with 1 attack. Personally I use Governor leading Abe and pizza Glenn.  Pizza Glenn with the crescent if you have it.   They have xp boost armor on, and they can kill walkers in one hit guaranteed on hard scavenge for me, so going on easy makes no sense. Hard doesn't slow me down and gives more xp/tomatoes.

If Hard mode was slowing me down I would do it on easy to avoid injury and to move through missions as quickly as possible. 

Hopefully that helps 
    AngelspitBurmeliinisDeathwish19
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,869
    edited March 31
    Angelspit said:
    Gotta love a mobile game based on our favorite TV show, with tons of playable characters!
    And by playable, I mean of course waiting until 2023 to unlock them to maximize progress!   :D
    I think you're mostly joking but I'll address this since I'm guess at least a few out there feel this way.

You can unlock heroes anytime you want and play them.

This advice is only for someone who has just picked up the game but already knows they are going to be a hardcore player.

If you know yourself and you know you're never going to be a hardcore player, just unlock your Heroes now and use them and have fun.

If you have true discipline and you know you will be hardcore keep everyone locked, push as hard as you can farming tomatoes Etc until you have maxed out everything possible and then unlock your Heroes. If you a grinding farming Maniac you can do this in six months or so as stated above. Much faster if you toss a little $$ on bundles or boosters. 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

• ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,869
    On this same merit, don't invest heavily in special weapons and gear... You'll spend a fortune in reinforcement tokens trying to upgrade gear you've acquired at low level. Just wait and buy the good stuff when you're higher level. 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

Deathwish19
    Levelling is definitely an issue in this game. Just upgrading one level requires a huge investment of XP, so the quicker you level up and the less people and equipment you have to upgrade, the easier.

Upgrading one hero from lvl 15 to 28 costs around 26 million XP. Upgrading a weapon with upgrade tokens is roughly the same, double that as you need armor as well. Then triple that cost if you upgrade the equipment from scratch each time. So if you play slow, unlock everyone and upgrade everything before progressing to the next level, you might spend 100 million XP per hero to reach lvl 28. With a team of 30 toons that means 3 billion XP.

Or play with 6 key heroes and go from 15 to 28 using (26*3*6) 500 million XP. It's a huge difference.

VovFuriousMoldovan
  • ADPaqADPaq Member Posts: 377
    I have to agree that levelling up is pretty daunting if you're doing it from scratch.
    All of my useful survivors are at 28 and I keep them updated as and when NG update the max level. But I've recently started to bring up the characters lagging behind. E.g. Negan was at level 18 a few days ago, now he's currently training up to 21. It's an insane XP burn.
    I'd forgotten how much of a grind levelling can be. I think I'll just do it as and when I have XP available as I don't see any immediate need.
    Worst of all is that leveling up at low-mid levels bring quite a small benefit. Scavenge, which in many ways is the main mission at this point in the game, becomes progressively harder. GW becomes progressively harder, in fact it probably is easier the lower level you are (even if you don't have flat badges). Distance and Challenge both start to become easier only when you are well into the mid 20:s in level. It's only the story line and season missions (?) that clearly become easier, and that's not a lot.
  • Kfly12Kfly12 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 1
    Here's what I've pivoted to doing, please correct me where I need an adjustment:

1. Doing normal mode distance once per week; definitely worth doing weekly for the resources it provides.  It was a breeze to complete.  Still haven't looked at the comparison vs. only partially completing hard mode, but I find it hard to believe I'll be better off moving up at this point.  

2. Only doing enough challenge to finish the daily quests.  In my casual guild that should be more than enough.

3. Most remaining gas is going into supply scavenge, but I am also woefully behind on season missions too so I'm working on those too.  At 1 gas apiece, though, I don't find them to be too draining.  The real cost is maybe 0.5 gas per mission as those seem to return gas from post-mission chests more often then other missions.

4. Spending XP as I have it, but I'm going to stop leveling any heroes not listed as "must have" or "good" in Jay-Z's guide (Sasha, Eugene, Abe, Michonne - the rest are locked).  Maybe Governor also.  I do have a 6 star bruiser and assault that I'll probably level as well as they're kinda key to my "main team."  That cuts down about 20 toons versus what I was doing previously.

At player level 56 it looks like I am halfway to max player level from a purely building points perspective.  About 3 months feels right, but if I can manage some real grind under unlimited gas and/or double tomatoes, I'll be able to shorten that a bit.

Edit: Yay, an inexpensive offer to fill supplies.  :)
    ATLAS-ZFuriousMoldovanhunter_x
  • AngelspitAngelspit Member Posts: 33
    ATLAS-Z said:

I think you're mostly joking but I'll address this since I'm guess at least a few out there feel this way.
    Just to confirm, yes I was joking.   :)
    ATLAS-Z
  • FuriousMoldovanFuriousMoldovan Member Posts: 1,067
    edited April 2
    Levelling is definitely an issue in this game. Just upgrading one level requires a huge investment of XP, so the quicker you level up and the less people and equipment you have to upgrade, the easier.

Upgrading one hero from lvl 15 to 28 costs around 26 million XP. Upgrading a weapon with upgrade tokens is roughly the same, double that as you need armor as well. Then triple that cost if you upgrade the equipment from scratch each time. So if you play slow, unlock everyone and upgrade everything before progressing to the next level, you might spend 100 million XP per hero to reach lvl 28. With a team of 30 toons that means 3 billion XP.

Or play with 6 key heroes and go from 15 to 28 using (26*3*6) 500 million XP. It's a huge difference.

@Burmeliinis you made me realize that I don't even want to count how much xp I spent over the years of gradually leveling up 50+ survivors and their gear.
    Especially considering that in the beginning you could only find survivors that had certain leveling up limit (i.e. lvl 12 to lvl 18 max). Had to spend ton of xp to up this toon to lvl 18 only to "dispose" of it because can't upgrade it to lvl 19. I'm glad they got rid of this system, wish it happened earlier though. Trashed so many good survivors.
    Leader of original TWD guild (est. 2015).
    We Are TWD 😎
    FuriousMoldovan's NML Glossary