How do you motivate guild members to engage the events?

Hey folks, how do you motivate your people? Some never join challenges some don’t fully engage and some seldom participate discord conversations? Any tips&tricks? 

Comments

• ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 4,704
    My initial response was gonna be "no just boot the Slack bastards!"

But instead I'll offer one tidbit. 

Chat it up. Often, everyday, frequently. 

About whatever. 

Could be useful tips advice etc .

Or...

Nonsensical whimsy. 

Sometimes my guys will write as though they are in actual camp, describing the burning bag of poo they left in front of someone's tent... Or some old crusty underwear under another's pillow... Or just regale tales sitting around the fire cracking open some beers. 

Point being, if your game chat is active, it may draw reluctant players in... and you might have some fun with it along the way. 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
    EMAIL US --> [email protected]"
    UNeven
  • NerfZone187NerfZone187 Member Posts: 794
    Sending guild members pictures of me cosplaying Negan in the Lucille head bashing episode usually motivates them. 
    UNevenFuriousMoldovanCarl_Tyreese999
  • MuirnaMuirna Member Posts: 39
    Using Discord can help a bit. We have on occasion split our guild into 2 teams and designed a competition/scavenger hunt type of thing to make the Challenge more interesting. For example, using different hero as MM leader each round. Just something to change up the monotony and have a reason to play with different teams or whatever. We try to set a guild goal for the weekly Challenge that is higher than each individual reaching their guild minimum. We assign teams for GWs so that players start getting used to working with that group and learn what each other can handle. I think all these things have led to more engagement and teamwork, though it will probably never work 100%.
    UNevenShadowWalkerDeathwish19
  • ghost_pepperghost_pepper Member Posts: 549
    I keep a regular stream of casual internet humor flowing in our general chat area. That way, our discord is never stale. There's always something new when a player checks in. And i can never guess who is going to react to what. 

It's a fun way to learn about the other's. Like @paste, the guy is all about waffles. I never would have guessed!
    PasteShadowWalker
  • UNevenUNeven Member Posts: 3
    Ty folks :) yeah it’s great when the chat is lit 
    UNeven said:
    Ty folks :) yeah it’s great when the chat is lit 
    Btw, welcome to the forum!

And if you remain somewhat active here and on the community discord server (magic's), you'll probably find yourself growing with the game at a more rapid rate than some of the others in your group. Eventually, let the inevitable happen.
    FuriousMoldovanUNevenDeathwish19
  • UNevenUNeven Member Posts: 3
    That’ll be awesome @ghost_pepper is there a link for discord “magic’s” 
  • SparrowMervSparrowMerv Member Posts: 58
    ATLAS-Z said:
    My initial response was gonna be "no just boot the Slack bastards!"

But instead I'll offer one tidbit. 

Chat it up. Often, everyday, frequently. 

About whatever. 

Could be useful tips advice etc .

Or...

Nonsensical whimsy. 

Sometimes my guys will write as though they are in actual camp, describing the burning bag of poo they left in front of someone's tent... Or some old crusty underwear under another's pillow... Or just regale tales sitting around the fire cracking open some beers. 

Point being, if your game chat is active, it may draw reluctant players in... and you might have some fun with it along the way. 
    In other words bond with the group ;)
    Deathwish19
  • PastePaste Member Posts: 727
    UNeven said:
    That’ll be awesome @ghost_pepper is there a link for discord “magic’s” 
    There is in my footer (though I'm not Magic)
    If you want to get better at this game, join Discord and learn badge crafting and much more: https://discord.gg/cDhgv3AJ89
    Discord is another great resource, like the forum, but built by players. 

It is not however the best app for Guild communication because, like the forum, you cannot video share without third party YouTube etc.

Other apps like LINE and even Facebook messenger allow chatrooms and video clips to be shared directly, making them superior to Discord for Guild Coms. 

Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    ATLAS-Z said:
    It is not however the best app for Guild communication because, like the forum, you cannot video share without third party YouTube etc.

Other apps like LINE and even Facebook messenger allow chatrooms and video clips to be shared directly, making them superior to Discord for Guild Coms. 

So by the same logic a horse with a carriage with a DVD player mounted to it is better than a car? :tongue:
    If you want to get better at this game, join Discord and learn badge crafting and much more: https://discord.gg/cDhgv3AJ89
    8900rpmghost_pepper
    edited April 12
    Your attempt at a joke has failed @Paste but nice try

Video sharing from the big part of teaching and learning with your guildmates, I fail to see where Superior apps equate to your horse and carriage

Paste
    edited April 12
    I should say that the Line community is great, but that's despite the technical limitations of Line, not thanks to. But some of them become emotionally invested with Line to the degree they have to go through some kind of deprogramming to see it for what it is. It's not that Line is bad. People are just using it for something it wasn't designed for. Line is just a simple group chat client, that also happens to have free video hosting for 2 weeks (after which they delete the videos). It's definitely good for beginners who want a lower barrier to share videos and get feedback, but not important for learning strategy. Top players who people actually learn from don't go through the trouble of uploading their videos to every Line group they share their videos in. They use YouTube anyway (probably because they want their videos to persist). Anyone who wants to learn while still using their time effectively can just skip the middle step and subscribe to YouTubers directly.

Discord on the other hand was created for guild communication, and have fewer limitations, sane defaults and more features that makes it the right tool for this (which Line isn't):
    * Anyone in a Line group can change the settings, name, kick out any/all other players.
    * Line notifications are broken by design, making people turn them off completely (terrible for reaching people about GW). Even if you mute a group you see annoying green alerts about how many hundreds of unread messages you didn't read.
    * Message history is broken by design, so new users can't see or search posts from before they joined. As a result people have to repeat themselves a lot, and you have to wait for people to join before you can coordinate about GW and stuff with is just a ridiculous handicap for the game and significantly more important than lowering the threshold for video sharing.
    * The lack of structure means you have to create several groups for your guild (like one for GW, one for challenge videos, one for new, one for general chat, etc). When you get a new recruit or when you move members between guilds you have to move them between several groups manually, and they have to accept manually. With Discord you only have to invite/accept once and you only have to kick people once. And if you want to move them to a different guild you just change their roles.
    * You can pin (persist) posts for both Discord and Line, but only Discord has an ownership model. On Line anyone can pin a post, and it stays forever, which leads to duplicate, outdated and misleading information being pinned, and no one can do anything about it. On Discord the admins can restrict the permission to pin, and they can unpin posts someone else pinned.
    * You can't even delete abusive posts on Line. You have to kick everyone out, start a new group and invite them back (I'm not kidding, this happened once in a group I was in. It caused major drama and one member still left the guild. In another public Line group I won't mention by name there are still posts with gay erotica where the two offending members who posted face-swapped / photoshopped in a former guild mate of theirs in order to cyber-harass him. The person who started that group would love to be able to delete those posts, but only the authors can.
    * On Discord you can restrict channels to be read only for non admins, so announcements/news doesn't get chatty. There's no feature like that on Line.
    * On Discord, the order of the channels in a server stays the same, so you can use your memory to locate them. On Line you need to look through the list of groups every time, because they reorder to when the last post was made.
    * On Discord you can react to messages ("thumbs up" etc) without bumping the channel and potentially notifying up to 500 people. This is a big part of why Line's notification system is broken by design (previously mentioned)
    * On Discord you can edit posts for typos, or changes (for example the pinned GW plans)
    * On Discord image uploads aren't downscaled like on Line (losing a lot of details). People complained a lot about the crafting map being blurry, but I uploaded it in very high res every time.
    * On Discord file uploads don't get pruned after a week.
    * On Discord you can make your own bot. I for example made one that adds the functionality to searches for our GW opponents and list their rank and season scores compared to us. I also made it post multiple choice polls adapted for GW availability (not possible on Line), and to summarize them for me. I could even have it generate GW plans for us because we have roles for our capabilities (GW difficulty level).
    * Discord works on all platforms. Desktop or mobile. There's a browser interface so you don't need to install anything on your PC. Line supports Mobile, Windows and Mac only, and the client needs a lot of storage data. To bad if you have Linux users or.

Burmeliiniss7eyeW8
    edited April 12
    Ok @Paste how is Discord different than this forum? Other than its controlled by one player instead of NG? 

( excluding phone calls and video chatting with can be done from any app) 

• capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,536
    i do it pretending to be a capybara

"Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    FuriousMoldovan
    edited April 12
    You're saying that if this forum had video upload, you could use the Zombrex recruiting thread for GW communication @ATLAS-Z?
  • FuriousMoldovanFuriousMoldovan Member Posts: 898
    @Paste @ATLAS-Z
    Both of you have good points about LINE and Discord. The only drawback of discord is have to switch to paid server to be able to upload videos.
    Line interface is just very clunky and not user friendly imo.
    Aside from video upload, I'll take discord any day - easy to use UI (both mobile & desktop), very customizable and easy to manage.
    Leader of original TWD guild (est. 2015).
    FuriousMoldovan's NML Glossary
    Paste
    edited April 12
    Paste said:
    You're saying that if this forum had video upload, you could use the Zombrex recruiting thread for GW communication @ATLAS-Z?

Nowhere did I say that. I merely asked a question. Which you haven't answered. 

edited April 12
    The only drawback of discord is have to switch to paid server to be able to upload videos.
    Even if you do pay, the video limit just changes from 8 to 50mb. So if your guild communication method absolutely must provide video hosting as well, then Discord isn't a good choice.
    ATLAS-Z said:
    Nowhere did I say that. I merely asked a question. Which you haven't answered. 
    You can google it, or ask your grand children ;)
    Paste said:
    You can google it, or ask your grand children ;)

Wow ok thanks for tips great sage.

The wink emoji supposed to take the sting out of a casual insult?

I thought we were having a conversation here. 

EMAIL US --> [email protected]com"
    I didn't make fun of you. I made fun of your fictional persona you made up that doesn't know the difference between a real time chat client and a forum. You're on both Line and Discord and you know the difference.
    Anyway I'm done here. Nothing good will come from this conversation continuing. I presented my arguments and have nothing more to say
  • FuriousMoldovanFuriousMoldovan Member Posts: 898
    ^ ....aaand this is how "you motivate guild members to engage..." 😏✌️

Leader of original TWD guild (est. 2015).
    FuriousMoldovan's NML Glossary
    PasteDeathwish19ShadowWalkerghost_pepper
    My point @Paste is that the things that are great about Discord are some of the same things that are good about a message board format.

You can pin stuff, divide into channels, subforums etc, they are both great for this. If I need hard info about something previously shared, I can go to these places and look it up. Good stuff. 

But when it comes to real time chat, Discord falls short, maybe not as short as a message board, but still short. So what's wrong with using a superior medium just for that? You don't have to quit using Discord to chat on another app. 

During War and Challenge, my guild (and other top guilds who can speak for themselves ) share video in the chat streams, not just off YouTube. For many reasons. And not just to teach, but also to invite critiques.

Imagine a middling player trying to improve? They share their challenge videos and war video so that their guild mates can give advice, and tell them where they went wrong, or even in real time, asking what they should do next? Like hey, I'm kinda screwed here right, what should I do?

Myself, I'll share a link to how Jay-Z or Busta tackled a certain Mission with YouTube link, sure, but I'll also sometimes share it direct upload of how I did it. Along with how many tries it took me.

People who are devote worshippers of Discord are not any better than those that worship LINE.

Neither are perfect, and neither should be used at the exclusion of all else. 

Paste
  • NerfZone187NerfZone187 Member Posts: 794
    edited April 13
    ATLAS-Z said:
    My point @Paste is that the things that are great about Discord are some of the same things that are good about a message board format.

You can pin stuff, divide into channels, subforums etc, they are both great for this. If I need hard info about something previously shared, I can go to these places and look it up. Good stuff. 

But when it comes to real time chat, Discord falls short, maybe not as short as a message board, but still short. So what's wrong with using a superior medium just for that? You don't have to quit using Discord to chat on another app. 

During War and Challenge, my guild (and other top guilds who can speak for themselves ) share video in the chat streams, not just off YouTube. For many reasons. And not just to teach, but also to invite critiques.

Imagine a middling player trying to improve? They share their challenge videos and war video so that their guild mates can give advice, and tell them where they went wrong, or even in real time, asking what they should do next? Like hey, I'm kinda screwed here right, what should I do?

Myself, I'll share a link to how Jay-Z or Busta tackled a certain Mission with YouTube link, sure, but I'll also sometimes share it direct upload of how I did it. Along with how many tries it took me.

People who are devote worshippers of Discord are not any better than those that worship LINE.

Neither are perfect, and neither should be used at the exclusion of all else. 
    Discord has real time voice chat, line doesn't (as far as I know) I prefer using Discord with a headset when I'm playing 3v3 FPS games with teammates. 
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 4,287
    I have a different approach to motivating my guild...
    Now go back out there and get me some Challenge Stars you slackers!!!!

ShadowWalker
  • ADPaqADPaq Member Posts: 366
    Interesting debate. I use discord for real time voice communications playing online multiplayer games, for which it is very useful. However, I prefer LINE (or whatever chat app you favour) for text communication.
    It really does just come down to preference.
    In terms of motivating team members, the key is to engage the guild members and get them chatting and interested in the challenge. Ultimately, if someone isn't interested in either of those things, it's probably time they moved on.
  • BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 851
    I think a the vast majority of guilds have the problem of the sinking to the least common denominator. By that I mean that in almost all guilds, there will be 
    a) one or a few very active players (often the guild leader but not always) who wants to improve, help the other players to improve and in general wants the guild to grow. The OP is clearly belonging to this group. 
    b) some players that are not very communicative, but enjoy the vibe the active players create and try to improve
    c) some players that couldn't care less and only belong to the guild because it's more or less forced on you to belong to some guild, and there are many rewards for being in one. Often these will be long-time guild members that simply have lost interest for the game and do the minimum required to stay on.

The target should be to not have any players of group C in your guild, but in reality that is extremely hard to achieve. So unless we are talking about 1 or max 2 players of this type in your guild, your best bet is to move on and leave that old guild.
    Ingame username: Jubjab
    IcePeter
    @Paste missed one more nail in the coffin for Line. Or maybe i missed it in the large list. Line is a space hog on a phone. I have very little room on my winky-dink 16 gig phone. 10 goes to the os, 5 to pictures and videos and programs and google programs which I'm constantly trying to remove and reduce memory from. Line lite is the worst offender (more than google maps or my own pictures). I have to nuke the whole program every few weeks and i can't even watch videos on it without having to nuke the damn program that day. Mostly, i just copy over youtube links to repost in discord and watch when I'm on my pc, through discord and youtube. Line lite can't even function for me with videonshare as intended because of technical limitations on Lines end. Discord is fine.

The last gig has to be empty or i can't install a new neccessary ap like something to turn down the damn volume on my roku tv! Last time the remote was hidden in the printer. I guess i should check there first. #dadproblems
    Pastes7eyeW8