SPY/SMY Weapons

Hi guys 

Looking for some tips for the best loadouts. I normally run SPY but started using SMY recently. Hunter weapons are limited so Sasha using winter bow, yumiko normally flaming crossbow and princess the decimator with Mercer using the obliterater. 
Have improved from 1400 average up to 2000+every week then 3000 last week so I’m improving steadily. 
Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Comments

• BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 294
    Congrats on the big step up, that’s a massive improvement in what sounds like a short space of time.

The first thing I noticed and wanted to check with you is about the Winter Harpoon you’re using with Sasha. The reason she’s so effective as a leader at higher levels is because her leader trait rewards body shots with charge points. But the trait Piercing on your Winter Harpoon will reduce body shots, which is counterintuitive to getting the most out of her brilliant LT. You can get a better suited Winter Harpoon from the Black Market, which has Lucky instead of Piercing. Costs 1000 gold and I think can be bought from Alpha or Shane. Weirdly not from Sasha though. Or if you bought the Premium Survival Pass the Crimson Harpoon is exactly the same with the right traits.

One of your Decimators also has piercing on it. Always use the one with Tactical and Lucky for SPY.

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs here, just thought it would be good to start with the basics 
    JordanYukiAngelspitStalker20Deathwish19
  • AdzKyleAdzKyle Member Posts: 34
    Congrats on the big step up, that’s a massive improvement in what sounds like a short space of time.

The first thing I noticed and wanted to check with you is about the Winter Harpoon you’re using with Sasha. The reason she’s so effective as a leader at higher levels is because her leader trait rewards body shots with charge points. But the trait Piercing on your Winter Harpoon will reduce body shots, which is counterintuitive to getting the most out of her brilliant LT. You can get a better suited Winter Harpoon from the Black Market, which has Lucky instead of Piercing. Costs 1000 gold and I think can be bought from Alpha or Shane. Weirdly not from Sasha though. Or if you bought the Premium Survival Pass the Crimson Harpoon is exactly the same with the right traits.

One of your Decimators also has piercing on it. Always use the one with Tactical and Lucky for SPY.

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs here, just thought it would be good to start with the basics 
    That’s a great help. I knew about the decimator but not the harpoon. I’m just about to unlock the crimson one. Should get it tonight. Thanks for the help. 
    That’s great, hopefully you’ll find Sasha charging a lot more reliably without piercing on her harpoon.

Once you have the right weapons the next thing is the right armour. Ideally you want ruthless and primed on all the armour. Ruthless gold is much better but primed at silver is fine. The OW attacks make it much easier to stay charged.

The main goal is always keeping the assault charged, and the best way to do this is through firing squad. So keeping it all going depends on placement, assault needs to always be in range of Yumiko’s target. There’s a rhythm to SPY/SMY, it’s very methodical and once you get get into the swing of it, it starts getting much easier
    Stalker20AdzKyleAngelspit
    Your shooter weapons are great, though. And when you get the ROAR, you’ll have the two best assault weapons in the game, too
    AdzKyleStalker20
    Your shooter weapons are great, though. And when you get the ROAR, you’ll have the two best assault weapons in the game, too
    I was unsure on the Pulverizer as it had piercing so I haven’t used it much. 
    Yeah, jury’s still out on the pulveriser. But what I think is certain is that the version we’ve all recently got isn’t really a SPY weapon, not top tier anyway. For almost all maps you’re going to want the winter bow or the flaming crossbow pistol. When you’ve got boxes to open the tactical on the bow might have the edge, but in most instances the fire is definitely what you want, especially against high level specials as fire will do more damage than guns will. Those are both top tier SPY weapons. 
    I’m not a top player but there are many who visit these forum pages and they have great YouTube channels of them playing. I think the best way to learn is by watching their videos and noticing how they move. ‘Firekid NML’ (search that in YouTube) does videos with commentary so he’s talking you through his thinking process, which is massively helpful. Definitely worth a bit of time browsing through his videos 
    AdzKyleATLAS-ZDeathwish19Angelspit
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 6,438
    Sasha with Shane's Incendiary shotgun
    Assault
    Yumiko with Pulverizer (no piercing) 

This would perform well

Or 

Princess
    Guardian Carol Shane's gun
    Yumiko with Pulverizer (piercing upgraded)

Might work too

Lots of other teams too. 

#Zombrex (Neo / Horizon / (OG) / Genesis / Prime / Elite) 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX FAMILY. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

Send me a PM
    AdzKyle
    Atlas is another top player, but he’s too modest to share this so I will.

A few videos he’s made to help with SPY development

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlgMj6-1ITJ2Rbg1g9VQ-ooQHKU1Ij9wm
    ATLAS-ZAdzKyle
    edited June 9
    Yeah them videos are pretty old I think I need to make some SMY and updated gear lol

Core concepts still hold though

Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Our page :

Send me a PM
    Got the crimson harpoon. Upgrading now. 
  • TyroneSlothropTyroneSlothrop Member Posts: 27
    ATLAS-Z said:
    Assault

This would perform well

Or 

Princess

Might work too

Lots of other teams too. 

Isn't Pulverizer one of a kind? I've forgotten where I picked it up. As such I should either upgrade piercing or no piercing and once upgraded, I can never change my mind again. How should I decide what would be better to upgrade or not on Yumi?
    ATLAS-Z said:
    Assault

This would perform well

Or 

Princess

Might work too

Lots of other teams too. 

Isn't Pulverizer one of a kind? I've forgotten where I picked it up. As such I should either upgrade piercing or no piercing and once upgraded, I can never change my mind again. How should I decide what would be better to upgrade or not on Yumi?
    Yeah it is one of a kind but as piercing is the third trait you can just not upgrade it. Unfortunately I already have. 
  • ladre5ladre5 Member Posts: 186
    Piercing is never good on high levels, except for the bulldozer. Guess why the 2 new weapons have piercing. In about 3 weeks we will get lucky version for 16 bucks...
    NovellAdzKyleDeathwish19
    ladre5 said:
    Piercing is never good on high levels, except for the bulldozer. Guess why the 2 new weapons have piercing. In about 3 weeks we will get lucky version for 16 bucks...
    I "think" I get it for Princess why bodyshots are important -- it's all about her LT.

But what about for Yumi? Or Sasha? Or even a Mercer in a SMY or MPY? I mean Mercer is pretty much equipped full offensive to deal damage.

Maybe I just need a primer on bodyshots. Can someone explain to me real slowly why bodyshots are almost always so desirable at advanced levels? Because if it is, I don't see why so many legendary weapons come with it...
    edited June 9
    ladre5 said:
    I "think" I get it for Princess why bodyshots are important -- it's all about her LT.

But what about for Yumi? Or Sasha? Or even a Mercer in a SMY or MPY? I mean Mercer is pretty much equipped full offensive to deal damage.

Maybe I just need a primer on bodyshots. Can someone explain to me real slowly why bodyshots are almost always so desirable at advanced levels? Because if it is, I don't see why so many legendary weapons come with it...

Watch my videos up there ☝️

Esp the Sasha + 2 assaults I think I break down body shots pretty well in it. And the SPY gear video.

Body shots are for Sasha lead, not princess

Obv now we Mercer and Primed armor trait and tactical Decimators etc, but the fundamentals are all in those vids. 

Our page :

Send me a PM
  • Smoose89Smoose89 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 9
    ladre5 said:

Body shots is what triggers Sasha's LT to give charge points to then trigger to use your charge attacks and be able to say stun mass zombies with decimator. With her in lead every one is charging each turn cause body shots are garenteed on zombies after a certain level.
    edited June 9
    I think the crucial bit of missed info here is that the LT of the leader is applied to all heroes. So when you put Sasha in lead all the heroes get charge points from body shots.

Their own LTs still apply to them alone, but they also take on the leader trait of the leader. That means everyone gets charge points from body shots when Sasha is the leader. So it’s not just about getting a hunter weapon without piercing, you want ALL your weapons without piercing with Sasha in the lead.

Princess is super easy to get charged up with Sasha in the lead because she then gets charge points from shooting enemies with a status effect (her own LT) as well as getting charge points from body shots (Sasha’s LT). Mercer only gets charge points from body shots with Sasha in the lead so it’s best to learn SPY/SMY tactics with Princess.

Hope this helps

Edit: Of course all heroes still get charge points from kills, I spoke a bit too flippantly when I said Mercer ONLY gets charge points from body shots. Kills too. It’s just that at high levels you can’t kill anything regularly enough to rely on kills for charge points, hence LTs which give charge points otherwise being so valuable.
    ATLAS-ZAdzKyleAngelspitDeathwish19
    ATLAS-Z said:
    ladre5 said:

Esp the Sasha + 2 assaults I think I break down body shots pretty well in it. And the SPY gear video.

Obv now we Mercer and Primed armor trait and tactical Decimators etc, but the fundamentals are all in those vids. 
    Thanks! I watched all the videos but I have to admit, I only got through the first half of the 100 kills video -- hope you weren't imparting too many pearls of wisdom in the second half. I think the videos were pretty comprehensive except for a few things. For example, what do you do when you have more than two heavies that are stun-resistant? Or more than one heavy in a clue or gate game? I did ask this some days ago, and I was told to go SMY for that, but Mercer is fairly new, And when you are in the level 70's on the challenge, you start getting lots of unstunables spawning. So what did one do in those cases in the SPY days? I generally only stop on the challenge level when I get to a battle where I have multiple spawning unstunnables on a short spawn cycle. I can't figure out how to manage it with SPY and my skills with SMY (or the level of my Mercer) is too low to be consistent on these battlegrounds.

I think the crucial bit of missed info here is that the LT of the leader is applied to all heroes. So when you put Sasha in lead all the heroes get charge points from body shots.

Their own LTs still apply to them alone, but they also take on the leader trait of the leader. That means everyone gets charge points from body shots when Sasha is the leader. So it’s not just about getting a hunter weapon without piercing, you want ALL your weapons without piercing with Sasha in the lead.

Princess is super easy to get charged up with Sasha in the lead because she then gets charge points from shooting enemies with a status effect (her own LT) as well as getting charge points from body shots (Sasha’s LT). Mercer only gets charge points from body shots with Sasha in the lead so it’s best to learn SPY/SMY tactics with Princess.

Hope this helps

Edit: Of course all heroes still get charge points from kills, I spoke a bit too flippantly when I said Mercer ONLY gets charge points from body shots. Kills too. It’s just that at high levels you can’t kill anything regularly enough to rely on kills for charge points, hence LTs which give charge points otherwise being so valuable.
    Thanks! I get why bodyshots are important with Sasha as leader. I'm curious about the "corner cases". I have two examples you might be able to comment on.

The first is the case of Mercer in SMY. I've read in SMY, you want to build up Mercer 100% offensive, and good weapons are bulldozer or decimator. Decimator, I get as Princess is pretty handy with that. But Bulldozer has piercing, even though Sasha is leading. Why is piercing ok for Mercer but not other assaults? Is it just because Mercer just blows through everything so it doesn't really matter that he gets fewer bodyshots?

My second example is that with the advent of the Star Hero, now players are running xPY teams through all the levels, when Sasha will rarely come up as the SH. Well, without Sasha, then I assume piercing no longer matters at all, right? Or is it still better to not have piercing on P or Y even in this case?

So what did one do in those cases in the SPY days? 

Light them up, root them, Cripple them, and let them burn out. 

Sorry no time right now for elaborating lol 

Our page :

Send me a PM
    Killdozer187_
    I don’t have a Bulldozer, I tend to rely on BM for weapons and it hasn’t made its way there yet. But I’ll do my best to answer and hopefully someone better informed can round up whatever I leave out or don’t know. Piercing reduces body shots, which is bad when Sasha is leading, but non-body shots from Bulldozer push/stun enemies. It’s a trade off. A fully upgraded Mercer doesn’t really need charge attacks to kill specials, so charge points are less essential when Mercer is crazy powerful. Piercing on Bulldozer, as it reduces body shots, means you can stun/push high level enemies with normal attacks.

There’s a fashion to leave piercing ‘un-upgraded’ on some weapons for SPY/M but it wouldn’t make any sense on Bulldozer. Without Piercing Bulldozer, at high levels, is a pretty average crate drop weapon. So Bulldozer is the exception to the non-piercing weapons for SPY because it has a great speciality function built which depends on non-body shots. You’ll still get a fair few body shots and you will gather charge points but because normal attacks are so effective at slowing an approaching horde they’re less urgently needed.
  • Killdozer187_Killdozer187_ Member Posts: 744
    ATLAS-Z said:
    ladre5 said:

Thanks! I watched all the videos but I have to admit, I only got through the first half of the 100 kills video -- hope you weren't imparting too many pearls of wisdom in the second half. I think the videos were pretty comprehensive except for a few things. For example, what do you do when you have more than two heavies that are stun-resistant? Or more than one heavy in a clue or gate game? I did ask this some days ago, and I was told to go SMY for that, but Mercer is fairly new, And when you are in the level 70's on the challenge, you start getting lots of unstunables spawning. So what did one do in those cases in the SPY days? I generally only stop on the challenge level when I get to a battle where I have multiple spawning unstunnables on a short spawn cycle. I can't figure out how to manage it with SPY and my skills with SMY (or the level of my Mercer) is too low to be consistent on these battlegrounds.

Hope this helps

Thanks! I get why bodyshots are important with Sasha as leader. I'm curious about the "corner cases". I have two examples you might be able to comment on.

The first is the case of Mercer in SMY. I've read in SMY, you want to build up Mercer 100% offensive, and good weapons are bulldozer or decimator. Decimator, I get as Princess is pretty handy with that. But Bulldozer has piercing, even though Sasha is leading. Why is piercing ok for Mercer but not other assaults? Is it just because Mercer just blows through everything so it doesn't really matter that he gets fewer bodyshots?

My second example is that with the advent of the Star Hero, now players are running xPY teams through all the levels, when Sasha will rarely come up as the SH. Well, without Sasha, then I assume piercing no longer matters at all, right? Or is it still better to not have piercing on P or Y even in this case?
    Rosita cribble rifle on Mercer go brrrrrt Charge Princess DCM
    Cribble more with Yumiko
    5358...transform into a bulldozer

BenjaminT
    edited June 9
    To your second question, you’re absolutely right. With anyone else leading then piercing is a fine trait. Personally I don’t think it’s massively important, unless there’s some speciality function which benefits from non-body shots, like the Bulldozer (another example is the new Ensnare trait, which is only activated in a non-body shot) Because against high level walkers you’re not doing that much with weapon damage. If I was going against high level walkers with any crate drop weapon then I wouldn’t look for piercing. But others might feel differently. On regular weapons I’d look for Incendiary, Large Caliber, Lucky, Destructive.

Piercing works against you when Sasha is the leader, but the Bulldozer’s special functionality negates this. Without Sasha leading Piercing doesn’t do any harm, but it might be up for debate how helpful it is against high level enemies