Question: What are your best tips on farming supplies or hitting the camp level cap faster?

RokRok Member Posts: 19
I've tried to find good tips on hitting the level cap faster with a few web and forum searches but couldn't. Even JayZ's excellent guide here on the forums doesn't include any information of significance about this.

I hope experienced players can share some of their best "non-whale" tips on hitting the Council or camp level cap faster.

I'm at a point now where I have the maximum number of Supplies Storage buildings, and they are all at level 11, which is their level cap at the time of writing these words, and I'm aware that this way, I can sometimes buy the maximum amount of Supplies, which is about 20 million, from the shop for real life money, but this is a "whale" option that is unsustainable for the average player. And I also understand that the grind is slow intentionally to encourage the purchase of such boosts. So, with all that out of the way, how does one speed up this slow process as much as possible?

For example, I was only able to find conflicting information, and it's mainly subjective impressions from some players, about whether Governor or Scout Glenn is better for farming Supplies from the Scavenge quick missions. So, do you know if this has ever been measured more accurately? Who is objectively more efficient or who helps gather more Supplies per hour, Governor or Scout Glenn? Or perhaps with the whaling option of buying an unlock for 25 gold after each run out of the picture, the fastest or most efficient Supplies farming path here is switching between both heroes, where you use Governor as the leader when you have free unlocks and use Scout Glenn as the leader when you run out of free unlocks? Or ... perhaps Scout Glenn is never objectively an efficient per-hour option because he requires spending a significant extra amount of time farming kills? I'm referring to the total amount of time after a playing session, not the amount of time it takes to reach 100 kills per run. And I'm not treating Gas as a priority factor here because it is not too expensive to buy Full Gas for a day or so, and you can sometimes even buy Full Gas with the passively growing Trade Goods, on top of being able to buy 8 or 30 of it regularly also with Trade Goods.

Also, which weapons and heroes, with Governor or Scout Glenn as the leader, would make Scavenge quick missions at the Hard difficulty and the kill-farming at the end go as fast as possible? 

I've often felt that melee-dominant teams require setup, careful positioning, baiting, and some tactical thought to avoid injuries, so I don't anticipate that a melee-dominant setup would be the most efficient option here. At the same time, I'm not sure I can "glass-cannon" two to three Assault heroes (depending on whether I'm using Governor or Scout Glenn as the leader) enough to make the final kill-farming phase a smooth, face-rolling experience, which is what I want when it comes to repetitive Scavenge quick missions and any kill-farming I do at the end of each.

As you can see, I contemplated this a bit, because time is the most precious resource, and this game can take years of grinding from a casual player passively collecting resources to cap their camp, so we're not talking about saving just a few hours of active playing but saving perhaps hundreds of such hours. I noticed that it could take 20+ days of daily logins 2-3 times a day to collect enough Supplies passively to upgrade my Council at this point, so I wasn't exaggerating when I said that it could take years for a casual player to cap their camp.

I noticed that the current Survival Pass cycle offers one Building+ speed-up token to those who buy the pass, and I guess €17 per 42 days isn't quite cheap for a mobile game (at least when thinking of PC MMO subscriptions) but it also doesn't quite go up to "whaling" levels, so I guess it can be an acceptable boost for those who can afford it. However, the previous two cycles of Survival Pass never offered a single Building+ speed-up token, so even that option isn't always available; it seems that Next Games plan to cycle which speed-up+ token is offered during each Survival Pass cycle, and at this point, I really don't care much for any speed-up+ token other than the Building+ one.

And are there other pro tips for capping the camp or Council faster, other than trying to use Governor and/or Scout Glenn in Scavenge quick missions, I mean?

Many thanks for anyone sharing some solid tips about all this.

Comments

• IgorGGTIgorGGT Member Posts: 55
    If you still didn't completed the first missions from Season 11A there is a great way to farm with glenn and maggie.

You also need a 2x exp from kills and buy a 1 hour 2x exp from black market for 120 gold. Then you can take the most from it. but it can be done without the exp boost.

打不过就跑RokStalker20
  • echonapechonap Member Posts: 174
    If you’re on a gas booster, Governor is by far your best leader. Your goal is not to kill, but to finish missions as fast as possible. I  use scout Glenn and hunter Maggie, trying to get kills with Glenn for extra tomato’s. 

Governor - any tactical weapon, health and DR badges
    Glenn - crescent edge, dmg and DR badges
    Maggie - ornate shotgun is perfect for her. Wider spread than a normal shotgun. Dmg and DR badges. 
  • RokRok Member Posts: 19
    IgorGGT said:
    If you still didn't completed the first missions from Season 11A there is a great way to farm with glenn and maggie.

You also need a 2x exp from kills and buy a 1 hour 2x exp from black market for 120 gold. Then you can take the most from it. but it can be done without the exp boost.

Thank you very much for sharing this. It looks interesting! I haven't thought about using Maggie that way. 

The fleeing and sacrifice in the end is to keep redoing the same mission?
  • BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 258
    edited August 1
    This isn’t much use if you’re only after tomatoes but thought I’d chip in in case this might be useful. I only farm xp these days, but I do remember the period where you seem to collect xp faster than you’re able to spend it.

If you at a similar level to me in that you feel like you’re always having to save xp then I can tell you what I do. 

For Scavenge missions I have Maggie in lead (winter harpoon), Princess (Obliterator) and Yumiko (winter bow). All with training gear armour. Go as far as you can without charge attacks, normal attacks are all silent so only 2 walkers each spawn. Get up to as high a level as you can before you have to start stunning. At this point the threat starts going up and you can build a stun wall, use Firing Squad to keep Princess charged. Can’t use Mercer because he won’t charge up.

Then keep going until you hit that 100 mark. My heroes are lvl 25 and the hard scavenge mission is difficulty 29. In 10 mins I can collect about 250,000xp, which I reckon is pretty good 
    Rok
    Rok said:
    IgorGGT said:

Thank you very much for sharing this. It looks interesting! I haven't thought about using Maggie that way. 

Exactly, you need to flee in the end, otherwise you won't be able to re-play the mission, 
    Rok
    This isn’t much use if you’re only after tomatoes but thought I’d chip in in case this might be useful. I only farm xp these days, but I do remember the period where you seem to collect xp faster than you’re able to spend it.

If you at a similar level to me in that you feel like you’re always having to save xp then I can tell you what I do. 

For Scavenge missions I have Maggie in lead (winter harpoon), Princess (Obliterator) and Yumiko (winter bow). All with training gear armour. Go as far as you can without charge attacks, normal attacks are all silent so only 2 walkers each spawn. Get up to as high a level as you can before you have to start stunning. At this point the threat starts going up and you can build a stun wall, use Firing Squad to keep Princess charged. Can’t use Mercer because he won’t charge up.

Then keep going until you hit that 100 mark. My heroes are lvl 25 and the hard scavenge mission is difficulty 29. In 10 mins I can collect about 250,000xp, which I reckon is pretty good 
    Thank you for sharing this. Luckily, your post is related enough to IgorGGT's post, so I can combine tips from both posts and perhaps optimize a faster path to upgrade my Council or camp, and even if I'm not looking for XP primarily now, I'm actually starved for XP all the same; it's just tomatoes or Supplies are a much higher priority for me, that's all.
  • euchideuchid Member Posts: 372
    Farming = fast = governor = alot fuel
    Rok
    IgorGGT said:
    Rok said:
    IgorGGT said:

Exactly, you need to flee in the end, otherwise you won't be able to re-play the mission, 
    Thank you for clarifying. I have two more questions now that I've studied the video for gameplay tips and browsed the in-game Shop and Black Market. 

At timestamp 1:09 of the video, it looks like both Maggie's quick move and attack are being manually set or picked before Maggie starts to move; how is this done? I thought that your hero could only move to a new location for an attack automatically if they don't have a line of sight from their current position.

You can't buy the 2x XP from kills; it's just an event that Next Games starts sometimes, and you just wait for it, right? 

And it seems that the Double XP is not needed for this farming method specifically. The buff's tooltip says that the XP doubled is only from rewards, buildings, and equipment scrapping. I understand that "buildings" here refers to your camp's Tents, the passive XP, and "rewards" is referring to the XP you can find in unlockable post-mission boxes from Scavenge quick missions and Challenge missions, for example. So, this means that if we ignore the passive Tents XP, you can't benefit from Double XP unless you actually unlock a box after a successful mission.
    echonap said:
    If you’re on a gas booster, Governor is by far your best leader. Your goal is not to kill, but to finish missions as fast as possible. I  use scout Glenn and hunter Maggie, trying to get kills with Glenn for extra tomato’s. 

Governor - any tactical weapon, health and DR badges
    Glenn - crescent edge, dmg and DR badges
    Maggie - ornate shotgun is perfect for her. Wider spread than a normal shotgun. Dmg and DR badges. 
    Thank you for confirming that Governor works better with a Gas booster. This does make sense, but I find myself wondering if it's ever been tracked or measured and proven to be better than some sort of Scout Glenn + Hunter Maggie combo that's optimized with specific weapons or so. For example, in the video that IgorGGT linked above, 425k Supplies were gained in about 7 minutes. I doubt that several quick Scavenge runs with Governor as the leader can produce enough boxes to top that, unless you can insanely lucky with golden boxes and have 6 free box unlocks to burn through during the event or something.

And the fact that using Governor means a significant reliance on luck when it comes to the tier of boxes you get does make an accurate comparison challenging, I think.
    Rok said:
    IgorGGT said:
    Rok said:
    IgorGGT said:

Thank you for clarifying. I have two more questions now that I've studied the video for gameplay tips and browsed the in-game Shop and Black Market. 

At timestamp 1:09 of the video, it looks like both Maggie's quick move and attack are being manually set or picked before Maggie starts to move; how is this done? I thought that your hero could only move to a new location for an attack automatically if they don't have a line of sight from their current position.

You can't buy the 2x XP from kills; it's just an event that Next Games starts sometimes, and you just wait for it, right? 

And it seems that the Double XP is not needed for this farming method specifically. The buff's tooltip says that the XP doubled is only from rewards, buildings, and equipment scrapping. I understand that "buildings" here refers to your camp's Tents, the passive XP, and "rewards" is referring to the XP you can find in unlockable post-mission boxes from Scavenge quick missions and Challenge missions, for example. So, this means that if we ignore the passive Tents XP, you can't benefit from Double XP unless you actually unlock a box after a successful mission.
    About the minute 1:09 of the video, i just made all the movements fast, the game took a while to complete them, it happens a lot.

2x EXP from kills is a very comum event, every 2 or 3 weeks we have it, just wait. But, as said, you can farm without any boost, you just will have 4x less supplies and exp.

You can check the description of double exp kill event, it says with 2x boost you will have 4x exp from each kill.
    IgorGGT said:
    2x EXP from kills is a very comum event, every 2 or 3 weeks we have it, just wait. But, as said, you can farm without any boost, you just will have 4x less supplies and exp.

You can check the description of double exp kill event, it says with 2x boost you will have 4x exp from each kill.
    Oh, yes, I remember now that the News message shown at the beginning of the video confirms that you get 4x more XP from kills!

I wonder if that purchasable Double XP booster doubles kills XP outside of the Double XP from the Kills event. I mean, why would you get 4x more XP from kills with the booster during the event but not get half of that with the booster outside the event?!
  • ZXerZXer Member Posts: 144
    I started the game in June 2021. Until survivor level 21-ish I went up 2 levels per week, then about 1 per week between 21-25-ish, then it gets slow from there.

Here are some tips:

1. Do not unlock a lot of heroes. At the beginning, I only unlocked Daryl, Abraham, HMaggie, PGG, Governor, Eugene. This way you do not need to scavenge for XP, only tomatoes.

2. Note the most important milestones: Craftsman Level 2. Hoard all of your gold components and most of your blue components until you reach this.

3. In fact, hoard everything: gold, tools, weapons, tokens, everything. Never buy anything until later. Not for gold, nor $. Except survivor slots. You can buy survivor slots until they cost about 150 gold.

4. Do not upgrade any weapons. You'll always get higher level weapons as you level up your council and survivors.

5. Play all game modes but scavenge only tomatoes. Level up as fast as possible. Upgrade the buildings with highest point-to-tomatoes ratio first so you can upgrade your council, then your training ground. I only upgraded weapons workshop last.

6. Best way to scavenge is governor lead + another assault or hunter + PGG. Do it quickly like 3-4 times a day. You would get more tomatoes faster than trying to optimize it any other way.

7. Once you have Craftsman Level 2, you can decide to start "playing" the game properly if you want. Because Craftsman Level 2 is very important to have good badges. The rest, you can get by without having max level.

8. But in fact you can progress still quite fast, about 1 level every 10-15 days until you reach survivor level 26-27-ish. So this is what I did: I kept farming until I reached survivor level 26. Then you can stop farming and play the game properly for sure once you reach survivor level 26-27-ish, then you can grown organically with the XP you'd receive from Challenge crates.

9. Once you reach level 26-27-ish, then XP becomes very very scarce. This is when I started "dropping" those original survivors. You only need to train one survivor to max level, then the next survivor you unlock will be at that level. So, for example, at level 26, I only train HMaggie to level 26. Then I unlocked Sasha. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then up trained Sasha to level 27, then I unlocked Yumiko. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then I trained Sasha again to level 28, then I unlocked Princess. Everybody else I left at level 25.

10. Then you start building up your weapons, beginning with the so called SPY (Sasha Princess Yumiko). 
    Rok
  • Smoose89Smoose89 Member Posts: 35
    IgorGGT said:

I use chapter 13.4 on knightmare there's a horde of zombies at the start couple of fatties too.
  • echonapechonap Member Posts: 174
    Rok said:
    Thank you for confirming that Governor works better with a Gas booster. This does make sense, but I find myself wondering if it's ever been tracked or measured and proven to be better than some sort of Scout Glenn + Hunter Maggie combo that's optimized with specific weapons or so. For example, in the video that IgorGGT linked above, 425k Supplies were gained in about 7 minutes. I doubt that several quick Scavenge runs with Governor as the leader can produce enough boxes to top that, unless you can insanely lucky with golden boxes and have 6 free box unlocks to burn through during the event or something.

And the fact that using Governor means a significant reliance on luck when it comes to the tier of boxes you get does make an accurate comparison challenging, I think.
    I can do a Governor led scavenge run in under a minute. In 7 minutes, I can get 7-10 scavenge runs. At max level, it’s 30k bonus per run, which does not include any chests. Throw in the chests, and it’s a clear winner. You can also stockpile components, gold, and radios while farming this way.
    Stalker20ATLAS-ZRohlikzauchem
  • FuriousMoldovanFuriousMoldovan Member Posts: 2,089
    Check this thread - some of it is very outdated but gives you a ton of basic info about NML in general:

https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/20098/game-information-directory-olts-sitemap

Also see other pinned posts in Strategy Discussions category.
    Leader of the original TWD guild family (est. 10/2015). We Are TWD 😎
    FuriousMoldovan's NML Glossary & Guild Wars Difficulty Guide