Question: How does Bayonet Musket's normal attack currently work?

RokRok Member Posts: 19
Hey. The only videos I could find to see how the Bayonet Musket works were from 2019, and in the videos, the Bayonet Musket's normal non-charged attack only attacks one enemy but can reach that single target from two spaces away. However, the current description of the weapon in the Shop says that the Bayonet Musket attacks at an angle to hit up to three enemies. 

Any chance someone can post an up-to-date video showing the Bayonet Musket in action, please?

And I don't know where else to post this, but I'd like Next Games to include short in-game animations showing the weapons in action and show those animations from the Shop when the player taps a button. This will actually encourage some players to pay money and buy some of the bundles that include weapons, because I, for example, as a player of the game and potential buyer feel extremely hesitant to pay real-life money for a weapon that is vague or mysterious to me in terms of the way it works. The same lack of clarity applies to the Riot Shield, for example, where I'm only guessing that the shield's "herding" means turning walkers friendly for one turn, but I'm not sure of this, so I'll always hesitate to buy the shield in the Shop. So, some players like myself don't understand what "herds" means when it comes to a Bruiser weapon, this and more such things need to be explained clearly to users or even better, demonstrated by the short animations I mentioned.

Comments

• Phalanx44Phalanx44 Member Posts: 354
    I'm not savvy enough to help you with a video, but I'll try to explain it in text, if that helps;

The musket/spear/pitchfork regular attack reaches up to two spaces away with a "poke" style attack. You can hit one walker in front of you (in either of the two spaces directly in front of you), two walkers if they are lined up shishkabob style in both spaces directly in front of you, or three if you attack between 2 walkers and target a third just beyond them tot he left or right. (Think of the "s" like Tetris piece. You stand on the 1st block and attack to the 4th block, and the 3 walkers on those other tiles get hit.)

The musket's charge attack is the same as a regular hunter rifle (without 'Large Caliber'); 6 spaces of reach, a projectile fires out in a straight line.
    Rok
  • RokRok Member Posts: 19
    edited August 1
    Phalanx44 said:
    I'm not savvy enough to help you with a video, but I'll try to explain it in text, if that helps;

The musket/spear/pitchfork regular attack reaches up to two spaces away with a "poke" style attack. You can hit one walker in front of you (in either of the two spaces directly in front of you), two walkers if they are lined up shishkabob style in both spaces directly in front of you, or three if you attack between 2 walkers and target a third just beyond them tot he left or right. (Think of the "s" like Tetris piece. You stand on the 1st block and attack to the 4th block, and the 3 walkers on those other tiles get hit.)

The musket's charge attack is the same as a regular hunter rifle (without 'Large Caliber'); 6 spaces of reach, a projectile fires out in a straight line.
    Thank you very much for explaining how those Scout weapons work when attacking multiple targets. I appreciate it. I think I understand; if we are to imagine the 4 sides of a square, then we can ignore 2 of them and say that the enemies have to be stacked close together in the shape of two touching sides of a square, and your weapon has to thrust perpendicularly to one of the two sides for the weapon to hit all 3 enemies. I think your Tetris S piece analogy is easier to understand, but I intentionally explained it differently as a check that I understood correctly.
  • BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 294
    edited August 1
    https://youtu.be/LYYc6reL9rM

Hope this helps  :)
    Rok
    Thank you! Yes, it helps a lot to see it happening instead of only trying to imagine it. :)

You also did a great job showing all the weapon traits, demonstrating several ways and angles of using it to kill one, two, or three targets, and showing its charge attack. I appreciated that.

I'm curious, though, whether it can be used to attack both zombies when two of them are beside each other, like at 1:25 and 3:00?
    edited August 1
    Rok said:
    Thank you! Yes, it helps a lot to see it happening instead of only trying to imagine it. :)

You also did a great job showing all the weapon traits, demonstrating several ways and angles of using it to kill one, two, or three targets, and showing its charge attack. I appreciated that.

I'm curious, though, whether it can be used to attack both zombies when two of them are beside each other, like at 1:25 and 3:00?

Not at 1:25, but yes at 3:00. If they’re stood next to each other facing you then you need to go to the side to get them both.

You can only attack two of them next to each other when one of them is between you and the other. If they’re close enough this just means going to the side of them. But you can’t attack two next to each other when they’re in front of you like you can with Crescent Edge or Mercer’s Axe.

I’ve only got the Bayonet Musket with Swift Strike and Charging. This is okay for dealing with lower level walkers but I’d rather have the Razor/Destructive version. That’s only available for money in a bundle, the version I have is available for gold in the black market.

However, if you’re thinking about spending money on a scout weapon then anyone will tell you the only sensible option is Mercer’s Axe. By far the best scout weapon :)  
    Rok
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 6,438
    edited August 1
    I'll add that unless you're a high roller spender collecting every single weapon... this one isn't necessary. A novelty.

Edit to add - i have 2 of them and never use them anymore. 

#Zombrex (Neo / Horizon / (OG) / Genesis / Prime / Elite) 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX FAMILY. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

Send me a PM
    RokBenjaminT

You can only attack two of them next to each other when one of them is between you and the other. If they’re close enough this just means going to the side of them. But you can’t attack two next to each other when they’re in front of you like you can with Crescent Edge or Mercer’s Axe.

I’ve only got the Bayonet Musket with Swift Strike and Charging. This is okay for dealing with lower level walkers but I’d rather have the Razor/Destructive version. That’s only available for money in a bundle, the version I have is available for gold in the black market.

However, if you’re thinking about spending money on a scout weapon then anyone will tell you the only sensible option is Mercer’s Axe. By far the best scout weapon :)  
    Thank you ever so much for the extra explanations! I really appreciate it. By just chatting about the subject candidly, you taught me two important things I didn't know, which will probably save me from wasting resources, which in turn means saving me from wasting the most precious resource of all, time.

The first tip you taught me is that the Black Market weapons that are purchasable for gold will probably have worse traits than the Shop weapons. However, I can see now in Carol's Shop in the Black Market a Kingdom Spear with Tactical, Destructive, and Razor, but it is for 5000 Black Market Tokens, not 1000 gold, which I think means that you have to spend 5000 gold on other things in the Black Market to be able to buy a weapon like that eventually.

And the second tip is reminding me of Mercer's Axe, which I indeed felt was an amazing Scout weapon when I checked it out before. It's just that all the posts and tips I've been reading about the best Scout weapons are clearly outdated, so they made me focus on the Kingdom Spear and Bayonet Musket and forget about Mercer's Axe. And I'm at a stage where I must focus on the best few options available and delay acquiring extra options until later. So, indeed I gotta focus on the best current weapon for each of the Scout, Hunter, Shooter, and probably Assault classes, so I can use Scout Glenn, Hunter Maggie, Yumiko, and/or probably Governor for speed-farming Supplies to eventually level-cap my camp and core non-farming heroes.

I agree that Mercer's Axe should be my focus for the Scout, and I think the Scoped Crossbow I just got from the Summer Tokens Origins II event is probably the best or one of the best Hunter weapons now. And I'm still conflicted about the best Shooter weapon, but I think Pulverizer will be a strong candidate for farming Supplies quickly while still making some progress now and then with the other weekly missions. Finally, I can't remember the name of that Assault weapon, but it's the one that can cause chain stuns; I think that one is probably the best overall Assault option currently.
    ATLAS-Z said:
    I'll add that unless you're a high roller spender collecting every single weapon... this one isn't necessary. A novelty.

Thank you for the advice! And yes, when Agoatrodeo reminded me of Mercer's Axe, I decided to forget about the Bayonet Musket for now. I was interested in the musket because I like the idea of having reach with a melee class to avoid being hit more often, and I love the prospect of using the game's hardest-hitting attack against several walkers in a line, including special zombies that are generally resistant to ranged attacks but would hopefully melt against a Scout's charge attack. However, Mercer's Axe was clearly the higher priority when I first saw it in the Shop a while back.
    BenjaminTATLAS-Z
    There’s certainly a lot of guff in the black market, but there’s quite a few brilliant weapons with very good traits in there, too. It’s possible to do very, very well with only weapons from the black market. Loads of elite players don’t spend any money and still outscore most of us who do  :D
    Rokechonap
  • Phalanx44Phalanx44 Member Posts: 354
    I don't mind the musket, and find it is still situationally useful, but mine is the GW version, so it has slightly different utility than the BM shop one. I love Rick's charge damage paired with the range of the musket shot.

It's not on par with Mercer's Axe for the guaranteed Intercept, but it's not exactly useless either.. more a matter of preference.
    RokFuriousMoldovan
    Phalanx44 said:
    I don't mind the musket, and find it is still situationally useful, but mine is the GW version, so it has slightly different utility than the BM shop one. I love Rick's charge damage paired with the range of the musket shot.

It's not on par with Mercer's Axe for the guaranteed Intercept, but it's not exactly useless either.. more a matter of preference.
    I think when threat is not a problem, and the map has more numbers than tanky walkers, the Bayonet Musket would clearly be superior to the community-favored Kingdom Spear, no? I mean, their best versions have identical traits today, and the difference is only tactical, specifically when it comes to their charged attacks. Charged, the Kingdom Spear can take down one tanky walker, while the Bayonet Musket may potentially take down up to 6 walkers! And I think the Bayonet Musket's charged attack, despite being a projectile, thus affected unfortunately by ranged-attack resistance, still out-damages the Shooter's charged attack, and that's while being an AoE attack as opposed to the Shooter's typically single-target charged attack. What's not to like about all that, at least as a solid tactical option with Mercer's Axe!
    edited August 2
    Hi @Rok,

Here’s a little demo of the Riot Shield and what herding does. You really need big crowds of walkers who might overwhelm you to see what the Riot Shield is really capable of and this is just a scavenge mission, but hopefully it’ll give you some idea. I’ve intentionally used a non-hero in the first position so leader traits don’t make it appear the weapon might be doing something it doesn’t.

https://youtu.be/j_07pgKSuIQ

I agree with you that Bayonet Musket has an advantage over Tactical Spear/Pitchfork. It’s worth bearing in mind a lot of the praise you’ll find on the forum for spear/pitchfork was written before bayonet musket came out, and a long time before Mercer’s Axe came out. 

I’m not sure what the solution is to this problem, actually I’m not even sure it is a problem which needs to be resolved, but forum contributors all write their posts in the present tense. And then three years later someone new to the forum is reading posts about the tactical pitchfork being an elite weapon in the present tense, which is bound to mislead them. 
    Deep dives into old forum posts can be a great learning tool, but the game is steadily evolving and what might have been a consensus a few years ago is sometimes not the case anymore
  • FuriousMoldovanFuriousMoldovan Member Posts: 2,106
    edited August 2

↑ It was changed a while ago ↑

Now regular Musket attack hits up to 3 enemies under the angle (no threat). Charged attack hits up to 6 enemies in straight line (creates 1 threat).

Most used weapons now are Mercer's Axe & Crescent Edge. Musket is still great though in hands of SRick, combined with Power Strike - its charge attack and range are great for charged Scouts weeks to kill special walkers.

But you want to make sure you have Tactical Musket as there are couple of variations (different traits) available.

Leader of the original TWD guild family (est. 10/2015). We Are TWD 😎
    FuriousMoldovan's NML Glossary & Guild Wars Difficulty Guide
    edited August 2
    I see a lot of top level gameplay videos from some very competent end gamers.. and I can't recall the last time I saw someone bust out a musket LOL. Maybe someone snuck it in there somewhere but definitely not at nightmare.

I hope some change will come to make different strategies more necessary and useful. Maybe that day is around the corner. Hard to say. 

Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Our page :

Send me a PM
  • RohlikzauchemRohlikzauchem Member Posts: 103
    Top level gameplay called as End Game is just about last 12-16 rounds in challenge. Using Star Hero(crouching in the corner) and Yumiko+Princess combo to control the crowd. These last rounds are very rarely(if map allows it) playable with other heroes like PGG.

But untill then you can actualy enjoy playing with other heroes and classes like warriors, scouts and bruisers.

So you can ask yourself what you want invest into. Is it stars and possition on LB? Which is meaningless in 5358 meta. Or you can invest into fun and buy these non-endgame weapons while enjoy the game.

My best strategy is to avoid Star Hero as much as my concious allows me and trying to figure rounds until 63 with different teams. Usualy i can go up to 68 when more special walkers start spawning.
    BenjaminTFuriousMoldovanStalker20
    Top level gameplay called as End Game is just about last 12-16 rounds in challenge. Using Star Hero(crouching in the corner) and Yumiko+Princess combo to control the crowd. These last rounds are very rarely(if map allows it) playable with other heroes like PGG.

But untill then you can actualy enjoy playing with other heroes and classes like warriors, scouts and bruisers.

So you can ask yourself what you want invest into. Is it stars and possition on LB? Which is meaningless in 5358 meta. Or you can invest into fun and buy these non-endgame weapons while enjoy the game.

My best strategy is to avoid Star Hero as much as my concious allows me and trying to figure rounds until 63 with different teams. Usualy i can go up to 68 when more special walkers start spawning.
    Fair play  :D

Some of us find it far too easy to forget this stuff and get lost in the pursuit of those damned challenge stars!

Cheers for the reminder  :)
    Endgame and nightmare challenge is a very small fraction of overall gameplay.

There's a whole world of different teams and weapons before you get to endgame. Enjoy it.
    Rohlikzauchem
    ATLAS-Z said:

@Rohlikzauchem @Agoatrodeo @FuriousMoldovan

Endgame is indeed a fraction of the overall gameplay. And when players come asking for advice about good gear Etc, I have to take into mine what kind of play are they might be before I answer.

If a player is coming and ask if a piece of gear is good chances are they're not spending a lot of money otherwise they would have just bought the s*** and figured it out. Am I right?

So with the assumption that the player isn't a big spender I'm not going to tell them to buy gear just for fun. If they want to they can sure but I'm not going to tell them something is super useful when it's really just for fun.

And using any old random team in the levels before nightmare does not make that gear necessary. So if I'm going to tell someone that some gear is necessary I'm going to be telling him it's necessary for the hardest difficulties. I'm not going to tell them something that's going to become useless once they get to those hardest difficulties.

Fun factor is important I get that but if you're going to push something toward a player make sure you emphasize the point that it is just for fun and not necessary.

Our page :

Send me a PM
    @Rok having said that dude if you want this weapon you should get it. It's not awful and as the other guys have said you will still use it if that's what you want and you think you would have fun with it. Go for it

Our page :

Send me a PM
    @ATLAS-Z Uh, okay.

1. It couldn't be clearer:

2. If player is asking about Musket, I think it's safe to assume they are not finishing challenge every week ;)

3. Old random team - Musket is literally the best weapon for Beta, SRick, HDaryl team or similar.

4. Topic is about functionality of Musket, not best melee weapons.

5. Far not everyone is endgame-obsessed, there are plenty of people who played for years and enjoy being casual.
    edited August 2
    @FuriousMoldovan my comments are in reply to this

This

And this 

The last few comments before mine. 
    Although since you red marker the other earlier post...

"GREAT" is not a word i would ever use to describe it. 

"Good" sure
    "Occasionally decent" that's more like it. 

Even in its heyday this weapon had a threat and required three charge points so it was almost never useful unless it was during charged Scout events.

So to sum up my post wasn't really jumping you but more of this General trending of the last few posts toward fun Factor. I am all for fun Factor but it just depends on the question asked if that's what they're looking for is fun factor I think they would make that clear don't you?

Maybe it brings up another point that maybe we should rate weapons and heroes more than just "top tier" or "second tier" etc.

Give them a double rating

Chainsaw could be "second tier" + "fun factor 11"
    (for example) 

Our page :

Send me a PM
    BenjaminT
    ATLAS-Z said:

"Good" sure

"Occasionally Great" - how about that??! 😎 🤣 

Idk about you, but I used Musket very extensively over Spear before new SH meta. Check some older videos on my channel.
    ATLAS-Z
    ATLAS-Z said:

"Good" sure

"Occasionally Great" - how about that??! 😎 🤣 

Idk about you, but I used Musket very extensively over Spear before new SH meta. Check some older videos on my channel.

Ok ok, I think we can settle on that lol. 🤝

Our page :

Send me a PM
    FuriousMoldovan
  • ZXerZXer Member Posts: 179
    ATLAS-Z said:
    I see a lot of top level gameplay videos from some very competent end gamers.. and I can't recall the last time I saw someone bust out a musket LOL. Maybe someone snuck it in there somewhere but definitely not at nightmare.

I hope some change will come to make different strategies more necessary and useful. Maybe that day is around the corner. Hard to say. 
    SRick star hero. Kind of a must have. Sure doable without this, but, a lot more difficult.
    ATLAS-Z