Z-Xer Beginners Guide

ZXerZXer Member Posts: 144
*** Last edited: 8 Aug 2022 ***

Part I: From Zero to Hero

I see a lot of questions lately about how to start the game from complete beginning.

OK, I know quite a bit because I only started this game in June 2021 and been making quite good progress. So I am writing this guide to help those who are just starting out. This guide is written from my perspective on how I did it - definitely only one of the many strategies.

1. Do not unlock too many heroes. At the beginning, I only unlocked Original Daryl, Abraham, Hilltop Maggie (Haggie), Pizza Guy Glenn (PGG), Governor, Eugene. The fewer you unlock, the fewer XP you need to train / upgrade later on.

What if you are reading this guide and - oops - you already unlock a lot of heroes? Keep on reading. Basically, it's judgment call. If you are only at survivor level 15 - starting anew is always an option - it might be easier and faster long term. If you are at survivor level 21 and have 10 heroes unlocked - no sweat. Keep on reading. If you have, say 20 heroes unlocked and you're at survivor level 18 - that will be judgment call. Keep on reading.

The 5 out of 6 above-mentioned heroes are ones you normally get from Story Missions. Haggie is an exception - you need one shooter but it does not need to be her.

Note that there are "heroes" and there are "regular survivors". Feel free to unlock, train, and dump regular survivors all the time. "Heroes" once unlocked, stay with you, and you are gonna have to train them with XP sooner or later.

Heroes are unlocked at the highest level of any one of your survivors, regardless of the survivor class. Example: You have Assault level 20 but your highest level survivor (hero or non-hero) is Scout level 25. You want to unlock Mercer (Assault) - he will unlock at level 25 (credit @FuriousMoldovan )

2. Note the most important milestones: Craftsman Level 2. Hoard all of your gold components and most of your blue components until you reach this. If you follow this guide you should reach this milestones in 6-8 weeks. Craftsman level 2 allows you to craft far better badges than Craftsman level 1, making any badges you crafted earlier on pretty much obsolete. 

3. In fact, hoard everything: gold, tools, weapons, tokens, radios, everything. Never buy anything until much later. Not for gold, not for $. Except survivor slots. You can buy survivor slots until they cost about 150 gold.

4. Prioritize leveling up until at least you get Craftsman Level 2. But this does not mean you should farm and scavenge - I did not. I played all game modes casually and this was enough to level up quickly. Only when there were tomato events I prioritized playing Scavenge Missions.

But also do your math - calculate the lowest tomato-to-building-point ratios. These are the "cheapest buildings" that you should prioritize so you can level up quickly. Also consider prioritizing tomato farms, although when they become "expensive", you should still prioritize other "cheaper" buildings.

Besides the "cheapest buildings", you should also upgrade your council and then your training ground as soon as they are available. Because as you level up your survivors, the Scavenge Mission rewards will go up with it.

Weapon Workshop is one of the "most expensive buildings". For this reason, I never upgraded my workshop until the very end. Okay, this is one of the most contentious points in this guide, but upgrading your workshop quickly will set you back few weeks or even months. Therefore I'd still recommend that you prioritize cheaper buildings over upgrading your workshop.

Also, similar to 1 above here : Gear from Guild Shop, BM, TG store, etc unlocks at the highest level of any survivor of this class, which gear belongs to. So any weapons you upgrade now will probably obsolete in 2 weeks.

5. Prioritize XP for training up your favorite heroes before anything else. 

For me, Governor - Abraham - PGG are my go-to guys for Scavenging missions. Do this quickly like 3-4 times a day until you run out of gas. There are other more optimized farming methods, but trust me, this method is the most time-efficient. I have not even unlocked hunter Maggie until now. Until survivor level 21-ish I went up 2-3 levels per week, then about 1 per week between 21-25-ish, then it gets painfully slow from there.

Depending on situations, Haggie, Daryl, and Eugene also have many uses in low level challenge and Guild Wars.

When you have more XP then you need, only then you should use them for training regular survivors and weapons.

6. Do not unlock weapons from campaign or GW until the very last moment (but don't forget either). Do not spend any reroll or reinforcement tokens either, not yet. Hoard them up.

7. Occasionally there are special radio calls, costs 40 radios, will give you the best heroes. OK, so best heroes are: Sasha, Princess, Mercer, Yumiko, Ezekiel, Guardian Carol, Riot Gear Glenn, Huntsman Daryl. When they put these heroes together on those 40 radios call plus no more than 2-3 other junk (those not mentioned here), you can start spending your radios. 

8. Once you have Craftsman Level 2, you can decide to start "playing" the game properly if you want. You really need Craftsman Level 2 as this gives you far better badges than level 1, but the rest, you can get by without having max level.

But I personally waited until survivor level 26 before unlocking additional heroes. This is what I did, but you can start "playing" the game properly as soon as you get Craftsman Level 2.

9. Once you reach level 26-27-ish, then XP becomes very very scarce. This is when I started "dropping" those original survivors. You only need to train one survivor to max level, then the next survivor you unlock will be at that level. So, for example, at level 26, I only train HMaggie to level 26. Then I unlocked Sasha. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then up trained Sasha to level 27, then I unlocked Yumiko. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then I trained Sasha again to level 28, then I unlocked Princess. Everybody else I left at level 25. So at level 28 (which was the max at that time), I have the most important heroes (Sasha and Princess) already at level 28 by spending XP to up train only one hero. Therefore I can focus my XP to upgrade weapons. More on this later.

10. Once you decide you want to properly "play" the game,  you can start building up your heroes and weapons, beginning with the so called SPY (Sasha Princess Yumiko). 

==========

Part 2: Guilds, Family, and Guild Families

Some players stay with their guild for years; even those who don't (like myself), stayed in the guild chat and stay friends.

You have 2 main reasons to stay with a guild: resources and chemistry.

Resources such as Trade Goods and Radios are vital to your development. And chemistry is very important; many players gel with their guilds like a second family. You should balance both.

Then there are the guild families. For new starters, these families are better than standalone guilds for the simple reasons: there are more people who will support you.

For new starters, I can recommend Eh Family. They are very active and extremely well organised.

But there are many others. Currently I am with the Mavericks family. Then there are the Breaking Bad family, Wild Walking family, the Ad Hoc, the Rotting In family, the TWD family ... you can find them all in the leaderboard. Also the Polish guild families, German guilds, French, Italian, Japanese, Chinese speaking, Spanish speaking, Porto-Brazilians ... Some guilds focus in Challenge, and some focus in Guild Wars. The leaderboards will give quick impressions where the guilds are focused.

OK. So why I singled out Eh Family for new starters. They have their own discord channel. They publish a lot of things, from info, guild stats, and they have people spending a lot of time and effort doing centralized placement. Nobody else does close to this. Sorry if this sounds like advertisement - it is not. I am just giving credits where credits are due.

As you grow, you can move into guilds within the same family, or you can always try out other guilds too. With the Eh Family, somebody is already doing the placement, so, kind of make things lots easier for newcomers. With other guilds, normally you have to find placement yourself when you are ready to move up or when you just want to make new friends.

Generally speaking, there are more guilds with incomplete members than there are players looking for guilds, so never afraid to ask around. There are LINE groups for this, also there is a Discord server, or also in this Forum.

==========

Part 3: "Crate" Weapons and Armors

1. Generally speaking, do not invest in low level weapons and armors. Do not spend reinforcement tokens, and definitely do not buy weapons and armors with gold or $$$ - at least until you have Craftsman Level 2.

2. But you might come across some coming from crates with "unicorn" traits. Be sure to "love" it and keep it. If your workshop allows it, go ahead and upgrade them when you have enough XP.

Some examples:

Unicorn Armors = silver hazard suit or stun resistance + gold primed + gold ruthless 
Semi-unicorn = gold primed + silver ruthless or gold ruthless + silver primed ; third trait could be anything
For bruisers, gold ruthless and primed may be substituted by gold hazard suit and gold dodge

Note that hazard suit does not drop in crates for ranged classes
Note that dodge trait (on armor or on the survivors) is largely useless without hazard suit trait on the armors

Note that all unicorn armors are useful at any level. Generally speaking = never spend reinforcement tokens on armors, except maybe on truly unicorn bruiser armors.

Unicorn Shooter Weapon = silver / gold lucky + silver / gold ranged + gold cripple
Cripple is the best trait for shooter weapon, but it cannot be combined with piercing. Gold cripple should be the 1st priority, silver lucky the 2nd priority.

I will discuss this in depth later - but after certain difficulties, your attacks will result in body shots, which makes it much more difficult to kill enemies. This begins happen at level +3 and becomes guaranteed at level +5 (above your survivor level).

You will not have any difficulties at all clearing out enemies up to level +5 with proper badges. So the "real game" begins at level +5 when all your attacks are body shots. But this also means that a gold cripple gun will almost always result in crippled enemy. A gun with gold cripple and at least silver lucky and lucky trait on the survivor will always result in crippled enemy (note: if your lucky trait level is still too low it might not be 100%, but should be 99% or so).

Any enemy that is hit by a crippling overwatch will not attack. This is another reason why crippling shooter weapon is very important.

Unicorn Bruiser Weapon = silver / gold concussion + silver / gold lucky + gold interrupt
Another useful trait for bruisers is razor, so perhaps a combination of concussion, razor, and lucky or interrupt is also good. However soon enough you'd want to buy Morgan Staff or Hockey Stick at the Black Market, which would have all these traits (but better, because they make 3-space arc). The unicorn trait I mentioned above would be priceless later on, so keep looking.

Unicorn Scout / Warrior Weapon = silver / gold lucky + silver / gold razor + gold interrupt

I don't know if anyone would consider any hunter / assault weapon from crates to be "unicorn" as there are so many special weapons from campaign or guild wars for these two classes, but generally probably anything with lucky, wide spread / large caliber, interrupt, fire (hunters only), and in some cases piercing and ensnare (must come together as at high level ensnare won't activate without piercing)

Generally speaking = never spend reinforcement tokens on these weapons either, though in some cases it might not be a very bad idea (but still a bad idea).

Unicorns are pretty rare, so yeah at the beginning you will have to make do with something almost a unicorn, but not quite.

==========

Part 4: Badges

I will not talk at length on how to craft badges as the best, most complete, and most up to date instruction and map on how to craft badges is available at the community discord server having been perfected for years by paste and NatsuDark and few others at the community. But here is the gist.

1. At early game, badges are the most important thing that helps you stay alive and punch (kill) above your level. Craft as many badge as you can as soon as you have Craftsman Level 1, but save all your gold components until you have Craftsman Level 2. When you start to get close to Craftsman Level 2 (say = 2-3 levels below), start saving your blue components as well.

Generally speaking, an assault with 3x green-blue damage badges can mop down +1 level enemies without upgraded weapons. Combining two such assaults can help you mop down +3 level enemies = by having one hits after the other. So with reasonably good badges, you can use 2 assaults to do quick tomato scavenging. And if your badges are borderline, you can also combine one assault with one hunter (say, Governor-Daryl-PGG team on scavenging missions).

2. Generally speaking, each survivor should be badged either:

Defensively = 3x Damage Reduction (DR) badges + 3x Health (H) badges
or
Offensively = 3x Damage (D) badges + 3x Critical Damage (CD) badges

Avoid mixing badges when you can. I'll talk about this in much later time. In early game, mixing badges is generally bad because it will result in survivors that can neither kill nor take hits.

Also, you've noticed that the 5th kind of badges: Critical Chance (CC) is rarely useful. Why? In short, because once you have guaranteed body shots (at level +5 approximately), you'd also have 0% critical chance. At higher level it could be strategic for some heroes to use razor / piercing weapons or weakening traits to reduce body shots and therefore can use CC badges, but this is discussion for much later time.

3. In early-early game, D badges are most important. It will help you clear maps up to 3 levels above your survivor level with little efforts. I did say that mixing badges is generally bad, but in early-early game (when you just unlocked Craftsman Level 1), I would recommend you to put 3x D badges on everyone. The other 3 can be any other combination. Don't worry, NG usually gives out free badge un-equip event every other month, so you can fix and redo everyone's badge every other month.

4. At mid level, the DR badges are the most important. I would recommend that you use a good portion of your gold components to craft DR badges with the right trait bonus (usually dodge or retaliate). Again, I will not talk in depth about badge crafting as the best and most up-to-date guide is available at the community discord channel.

5. Generally speaking, assaults should always be defensive at mid level and then changed to offensive once you are comfortable with Guild Wars island 12 and above.

Exceptions:
Governor can be full offensive = to help you clear scavenging mission quickly
Abraham can be full offensive = to help Governor in with scavenging
Mercer = can go either way

6. Generally speaking, bruisers should always be defensive.

Exceptions:
T-Dog = can go either way

7. Generally speaking, scouts should always be offensive.

Exceptions:
PGG = can go either way or even mix D+DR (his only use usually is to open crates)

8. Warriors, hunters, and shooters can go either way. 

Some warriors like Michonne are natural offensive, and some like Jerry are natural defensive
Some hunters like Sasha are natural offensive. Dwight might look like offensive but could be best used as defensive hunter in PvP and raiders missions.
Some shooters are natural defensive such as Tara, but most shooters can go either way.

Yumiko can go either way. The pro of giving her offensive badges is so she can kill. But then offensive Yumiko can also "accidentally kill" - which results in her LT not activating.

9. In mid level game, best to have at least 1 offensive survivor and 1 defensive survivor in a team. Defensively badged hero / survivor can take hits while the offensive ones can kill. In SPY team, Sasha is usually the offensive one, Princess defensive, while Yumiko can be either. Sasha stays back, away from danger, while Princess goes more forward and take hits (either accidental or incidental) to protect Sasha and / or offensive Yumiko. Similarly in melee teams, bruisers move forward while scouts can hide behind the bruisers.

10. Never reroll badge trait bonus, and in general do not reroll your badges at all. Reroll tokens in early games are far too valuable for this.

==========

Part 5: Survivor Traits

I am writing this from the perspective of new players - a group I myself belong to.

Rerolling traits will be the most important thing to progress in TWD NML world; but also the most expensive, because reroll tokens will end up to be the rarest commodity, and you really need a lot of it.

Therefore, for new players like myself, it is not about getting the "perfect traits". But rather, what is a set of "good enough" traits?

Which gets us to the following table.

For new players, the so-called SPY team (Sasha-Princess-Yumiko) will be your most important team. After that you can add Mercer, and maybe Guardian Carol. You should spend all your reroll tokens to get at least the "must have" in the table below. As example: "Lucky" is a must-have trait for all in SPY team.

Lucky trait combined with lucky-crippling shooter weapon will provide guaranteed cripple against high level enemies. On Assaults, lucky trait combined with lucky armor and lucky weapon will provide 95-98% chance of concussions. On Sasha, lucky improves the chance her traits activate (although it is a lot less important now that she could use a lucky-primed armor).

After that, get the "priority". Everything else can wait.

Then you can go improving the traits of the other heroes. For me the next one would be Ezekiel, then RGG (Riot Gear Glenn), then HD (Huntsman Daryl). After that then it's up to your personal favorites. Perhaps Michonne (who just got her Leadership Trait / LT revamped), then SR (Survivalist Rick), T-Dog, Beta, and Eugene.

In any case, don't get hang up on a "perfect" set of traits. It's more important to get the "must have" on all your most favorite heroes before getting the next line items: the priority and the nice-to-haves.

Also one thing to note: weakening trait might have undesired side effect and that is nullify the "body shot" guarantee of non-razor weapons against high level enemies. For this reason it might be wise to not put weakening trait on at least a few of your warriors.

Don't Forget about "Unicorn" Surivors

NG gives us free calls to get new survivors, and unlike reroll tokens, these calls are relatively "cheap". That means you can keep calling new survivors, upgrade them if they have good traits, then trash them again if the traits are bad. You can keep doing this, and once in a blue moon you'll end up with some "unicorn" survivors. These unicorn survivors might perform better than some heroes, and they cost zero reroll tokens!

BurmeliinisBenjaminTechonaprelb67PasteFuriousMoldovanDeathwish19Le_MatSkywithinFOE

Comments

• n00bn00b Member Posts: 82
    Sounds like a grinding tutorial, poor new players :D
    I would kindly disagree on the 1st one. When you are a new player you will enjoy playing all heroes, when you are a late game player you understand that most of the heroes suck :disappointed:
    What is not mentioned, but I think the most important is a finding a good active guild that will help massively (good advices, more radios, more TG)
    Deathwish19
  • ZXerZXer Member Posts: 144
    On the first point = if you follow my recipe, you should be at level 24-ish in about 6-8 weeks. Would think the original survivors and the 6 listed should be enough to keep you busy.

On the second point = very true I forgot that part, so Part 2 won't be about badges but about finding a guild

n00b said:
    I would kindly disagree on the 1st one. When you are a new player you will enjoy playing all heroes, when you are a late game player you understand that most of the heroes suck :disappointed:
    What is not mentioned, but I think the most important is a finding a good active guild that will help massively (good advices, more radios, more TG)

Few reasons you don't want to unlock the heroes you don't need:

1. As example - a lot of people have Ezekiel at very low level and when NG reworked his traits - well - it took them a long time to train him up.

2. You will eventually need to level up all heroes to use as star heroes

3. There are daily quests that requires you to play / kill using heroes that you have unlocked. If you don't have them unlocked, these heroes won't appear on daily quests.

So yeah, sure, you might want to enjoy the game sooner by unlocking heroes, but I would recommend to wait until you at least have unlocked Craftsman level 2 before starting to "play" the game properly.
    Stalker20echonap
  • n00bn00b Member Posts: 82
    ZXer said:
    On the first point = if you follow my recipe, you should be at level 24-ish in about 6-8 weeks. Would think the original survivors and the 6 listed should be enough to keep you busy.
    I would rather to play something else that doesn't require so much grinding :smile:
    and something less buggy :p
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 6,393
    @ZXer nice job taking the time to do this. Maybe give it a bump after the dumpster fire has gone out. 😕

#Zombrex (Neo / Horizon / (OG) / Genesis / Prime / Elite) 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX FAMILY. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

Send me a PM
    PasteDresdenZXer
  • Chris7thLegionChris7thLegion Member Posts: 55
    n00b said:
    Even the worst heroes are better than regular characters, right?  
  • BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 258
    Nice one, @ZXer! This is great
  • PastePaste Member Posts: 829
    edited August 3
    Nice writeup :+1:
    ZXer said:
    Do not upgrade any weapons
    You mean "Reinforce" here probably. It's good to have some weapon traits activated.
    ZXer said:
    Do not unlock weapons from campaign or GW until the very last moment (but don't forget either)
    Might be good to explain that this has to do with character levels so people aren't waiting for no reason?
    If you want to get better at this game, join Discord and learn badge crafting and much more: https://discord.gg/cDhgv3AJ89
    ATLAS-ZNoiserating
  • FuriousMoldovanFuriousMoldovan Member Posts: 2,088
    Good effort, well-done!
    Leader of the original TWD guild family (est. 10/2015). We Are TWD 😎
    FuriousMoldovan's NML Glossary & Guild Wars Difficulty Guide
    edited August 3
    n00b said:
    Even the worst heroes are better than regular characters, right?  
    @Chris7thLegion
    Generally, yes. Heroes have unique LTs and their base dmg/hp values are higher compared to regular survivors:

Non-heroes only have advantage during their charged weeks (they start charged).
    @ZXer probably a good idea to add:

Level of Unlocking Heroes:
    Heroes are unlocked at the highest level of ANY 1 of your survivors, regardless of the survivor class.
    Example:
    You have Assault lvl 20 but your highest lvl survivor (hero or non-hero) is Scout lvl 25. You want to unlock Mercer (Assault) - he will unlock at lvl 25.

Level of Unlocking Gear:
    Gear from Guild Shop, BM, TG store, etc unlocks at the highest level of any survivor of this class, which gear belongs to.

ZXer
  • find2046find2046 Member Posts: 133
    I don't understand why keep minimum heroes until level up to 26 or above? 
    I've started a new player at the beginning of this year and upto lv18 2-3 months ago.  Like most of the advise, I released 12 players but keep special weapons, e.g. Axe, RS.... And most of gears are below "standard".  However, I can finish hard mode distance and over 1000 stars without tools.  
    When will I release the others heroes?  depends on bugs.  
    Paste said:
    ZXer said:
    You mean "Reinforce" here probably. It's good to have some weapon traits activated.
    ZXer said:
    Do not unlock weapons from campaign or GW until the very last moment (but don't forget either)
    Might be good to explain that this has to do with character levels so people aren't waiting for no reason?

Thank you.

I did mean do not upgrade. Simply because one can progress rather quickly until at least level 24-ish, where they can unlock Craftsman Level 2. But you are right I have to explain all the reasons why. Kind of obvious to me even when starting out, definitely obvious now, but not for others.

I see a lot of questions lately about how to start the game from complete beginning.

OK, I know quite a bit because I only started this game in June 2021 and been making quite good progress.

Here's how I did it:

1. Do not unlock too many heroes. At the beginning, I only unlocked Original Daryl, Abraham, Hilltop Maggie, Pizza Glenn, Governor, Eugene. This way you do not need to scavenge for XP, only tomatoes

Note that there are "heroes" and there are "regular survivors". Feel free to unlock, train, and dump regular survivors all the time. "Heroes" once unlocked, stay with you, and you are gonna have to train them with XP sooner or later. The earlier you unlock them, the more painful it's gonna be later on when you need to train them up with XP.

Heroes are unlocked at the highest level of any one of your survivors, regardless of the survivor class. Example: You have Assault level 20 but your highest level survivor (hero or non-hero) is Scout level 25. You want to unlock Mercer (Assault) - he will unlock at level 25 (credit @FuriousMoldovan )

2. Note the most important milestones: Craftsman Level 2. Hoard all of your gold components and most of your blue components until you reach this.

This is because Craftsman level 2 allows you to craft far better badges than Craftsman level 1, making any badges you crafted on earlier pretty much obsolete. So you really want to get to Craftsman level 2 as fast as possible.

3. In fact, hoard everything: gold, tools, weapons, tokens, radios, everything. Never buy anything until much later. Not for gold, not for $. Except survivor slots. You can buy survivor slots until they cost about 150 gold.

4. Do not upgrade any weapons. You'll always get higher level weapons as you level up your council and survivors. Do not unlock weapons from campaign or GW until the very last moment (but don't forget either). Do not train regular survivors, only heroes, unless you have too much XP (you will). If you follow my recipe here, you'd still get more XP than what you can use to train all your heroes. When this happens you can upgrade some weapons and train some regular survivors with great traits, starting with campaign and Guild War weapons. But do not spend any reroll or reinforcement tokens, not yet. Hoard them up.

Similar to 1 above here : Gear from Guild Shop, BM, TG store, etc unlocks at the highest level of any survivor of this class, which gear belongs to.

5. You can play all game modes but scavenge only tomatoes. At the beginning you should get more than enough XP from playing challenge. Level up as fast as possible. Upgrade the buildings with highest point-to-tomatoes ratio first so you can upgrade your council, then your training ground. Do not upgrade weapons workshop unless it gives you highest point-for-tomatoes ratio.

6. Best way to scavenge is governor lead + another assault or hunter + Pizza Guy Glenn. Do this quickly like 3-4 times a day until you run out of gas. There are other more optimized farming methods, but trust me, this method is the most time-efficient. I have not even unlocked hunter Maggie until now. Until survivor level 21-ish I went up 2-3 levels per week, then about 1 per week between 21-25-ish, then it gets painfully slow from there.

7. Occasionally there are special radio calls, costs 40 radios, will give you the best heroes. OK, so best heroes are: Sasha, Princess, Mercer, Yumiko, Ezekiel, Guardian Carol, Riot Gear Glenn, Huntsman Daryl. When they put these heroes together on those 40 radios call plus no more than 2-3 other junk (those not mentioned here), you can start spending your radios. 

8. Once you have Craftsman Level 2, you can decide to start "playing" the game properly if you want. Because Craftsman Level 2 is very important to have good badges. The rest, you can get by without having max level. But I personally waited until survivor level 26 before unlocking additional heroes.

This is what I did personally, but you can start "playing" the game properly as soon as you get Craftsman Level 2.

9. Once you reach level 26-27-ish, then XP becomes very very scarce. This is when I started "dropping" those original survivors. You only need to train one survivor to max level, then the next survivor you unlock will be at that level. So, for example, at level 26, I only train HMaggie to level 26. Then I unlocked Sasha. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then up trained Sasha to level 27, then I unlocked Yumiko. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then I trained Sasha again to level 28, then I unlocked Princess. Everybody else I left at level 25. So at level 28 (which was the max at that time), I have the most important heroes (Sasha and Princess) already at level 28 by spending XP to up train only one hero. Therefore I can focus my XP to upgrade weapons. More on this later.

Again, this is what I did - but you do not have to wait until level 26. I do suggest to at least unlock Craftsman Level 2 before starting to build up your heroes and weapons.

But what if you already unlocked a bunch of heroes but you're only level 15? Or 18? It's judgement call. If you're only level 15, remember you can always delete and start anew :smiley: If you're at 18, then it's judgment call. If you're at 21, I'd say you should aim for Craftsman Level 2 as fast as possible (farm or pay or both).

10. Once you decide you want to properly "play" the game,  you can start building up your heroes and weapons, beginning with the so called SPY (Sasha Princess Yumiko). 

If you find this useful and want me to continue, tag me in this thread and I will continue with Part 2: Guilds
    Part 2: Guilds, Family, and Guild Families

Guilds are great. Some players stay with their guild for years; even those who don't (like myself), stayed in the guild chat and stay friends.

You have 2 main reasons to stay with a guild: resources and chemistry. Resources such as Trade Goods and Radios are vital to your development. And chemistry is very important; many players gel with their guilds like a second family. For the most part, you should balance both.

Then there are the guild families.

For a new starters, I can recommend Eh Family. They are very active and extremely well organised, with a lot of nice people who will help you develop.

But there are many others. Currently I am with the Mavericks family. Then there are the Breaking Bad family, Wild Walking family, the Ad Hoc, the Rotting In family, the TWD family ... you can find them all in the leaderboard. Also the Polish guild families, German guilds, French, Italian, Japanese, Chinese speaking, Spanish speaking ... Some guilds focus in Challenge, and some focus in Guild Wars. The leaderboard will give quick impressions where the guilds are focused.

Family (often formed through merger and acquisitions :wink: ) is very important in making great guilds. At the end, you balance between resources and chemistry. And once you play awhile, usually you are welcome to visit and jump around the different guilds and families to make new friends.

OK. So why I singled out Eh Family for starters. They have their own discord channel, and they publish a lot of things, from info, guild stats, and they have people spending a lot of time and effort doing centralized placement. Nobody else does close to this. As a starter, this is simply the single best family to start with. No one comes close. Sorry if this sounds like advertisement - it is not. I am just giving credits where credits are due.

As you grow, you can move into guilds within the same family, or you can always try out other guilds too. With the Eh Family, somebody is already doing the placement, so, kind of make things lots easier for newcomers. If you are not with the Eh Family, then you have to find placement yourself.

Generally speaking, there are more guilds with incomplete members than there are players looking for guilds, so never afraid to ask around. There are LINE groups for this, also there is a Discord server, or also in this Forum.

OK. Not sure what else I can add about guilds. As usual comment and suggestions for this guide are all welcome.

And as usual, if you find this useful and you tag me in this thread, I will continue with Part 3: SPMY tactics
    MuirnaChris7thLegion
    Part 3: SPMY Tactics

OK. Since I am still in the mood of writing, I will continue for now.

At some point you should have heard by now the so-called SPMY tactics. Previously this was known as SPY = Sasha-Princess-Yumiko. Then Mercer was added and claimed the M as alternative for P. So, more correctly, it should have been called the SP/MY tactics.

In part 1 I mentioned a list of 6 heroes I unlocked first, and I did not unlock anybody else until level 26. Again, I neither recommend nor discourage this strategy. I do recommend that you at least unlock Craftsman Level 2 before unlocking more heroes.

Focusing on SPMY before any other team was how I started out about half a year ago. You don't have to follow this. But I would recommend it - simply because SPMY is like the "Swiss Army" version of TWD NML. It will work in almost any situation. So when you just starting out, when you have limited resources, limited badge components, limited gold, limited rerolls, limited radios, etc etc ... focusing on SPMY will allow you to handle more varieties of maps than by focusing on any other heroes.

Sasha

The first hero you should unlock after the original 6 is Sasha, because her Leadership Trait (LT) allows you to get charged and recharged on "body shots". At high enough level, body shots make it more difficult to kill enemies. Generally speaking, they become more prevalent at enemy level +3, and guaranteed at level +5 ... there are more complex rules to it but this is the gist. So, at some point, it will be nearly impossible to kill enemies. But Sasha allows you to get charge point without killing the enemies. Therefore, you can still use charge attacks (usually stuns) and move on.

Yumiko

Yumiko should be the 2nd hero you unlock after the original 6. Yumiko allows ranged survivors to hit a second time in one turn, therefore, allowing another hero or survivor (usually Assault, usually Abraham since you already have it) to get charged through Sasha's LT.

So if you set up your team with Sasha as a leader, you add Yumiko and an assault: when Yumiko shoots a group of walker that is in range of your Assault, that Assault will likely to get fully charged. And charged attack from Assault stuns, allowing you to slow enemies or move around them.

Princess / Mercer

The last component of SP/MY tactic is the assault. Princess should be the 3rd hero you unlock after the original 6, because her LT that allows her to get charged easier than any other assaults. At early game when your Sasha LT level is still low, using Princess instead of any other assault will make it easier to have guaranteed charged and recharged every turn.

Mercer is similar to any other assaults, and perhaps is more like Abraham on steroid. If your Sasha's LT level is still low, you will have a hard time getting Mercer charged and recharged. But at higher level, as your Sasha's LT improves, Mercer LT allows you to kill high level walkers you can't otherwise kill fast enough.

Okay, so that's the brief description for me. I will make you a video later on. Tag me in this thread in case I forget.
    BigFellaSteve
  • MuirnaMuirna Member Posts: 176
    This is really great stuff that ZXer is sharing. I just wanted to say though that to someone who thinks they have already screwed up by unlocking more heroes or whatever, or to someone who has different goals than getting to max level as fast as possible, that's okay too. I am someone who is not good with delayed gratification in a game. I unlocked heroes as I got them, got good weapons before I was max level, etc. I read a lot and informed myself, and then decided from there what I wanted to follow and what I didn't. So it took me longer to get max level, but going slower along the way, I was able to score higher in Challenges and do better in GWs along the way, getting better rewards etc. So there's always a trade off. I had fun being able to use all the heroes, who I now generally have no reason to use at max level, so it was worth it to me because it was fun for me. This was before heroes like Princess and Yumiko and SPY team though, so it is probably different leveling now than it used to be. 

Tldr -- I was far from fast or optimal, but I did just fine too.

Definitely the most important thing is to get into a guild/guild family with the external infrastructure to support new players well.
    ZXer
    edited August 4

I will not talk at length on how to craft badges as the best, most complete, and most up to date instruction and map on how to craft badges is available at the community discord server having been perfected for years by paste and NatsuDark and few others at the community. But here is the gist.

1. At early game, badges are the most important thing that helps you stay alive and punch (kill) above your level

or

Avoid mixing badges when you can. I'll talk about this in much later time. In early game, mixing badges is generally bad because it will result in survivors that can neither kill nor take hits.

Also, you've noticed that the 5th kind of badges: Critical Chance (CC) is rarely useful. Why? In short, because once you have guaranteed body shots (at level +5 approximately), you'd also have 0% critical chance. At higher level it could be strategic for some heroes to use razor / piercing weapons or weakening traits to reduce body shots and therefore can use CC badges, but this is discussion for much later time.

3. In early games, the DR badges are the most important. I would recommend that you use a good portion of your gold components to craft DR badges with the right trait bonus (the so-called "DRB" badges or Dodge-Retaliate-Bullet Dodge, because most of your defensive surivors will have either Dodge or Retaliate traits - or both - after you reroll them). Again, I will not talk in depth about badge crafting as the best and most up-to-date guide is available at the community discord channel.

4. Generally speaking, assaults and bruisers should always be defensively badged in early game.

5. Generally speaking, scouts should always be offensively badged

6. Some warriors can be offensively badged (Michonne, Ezekiel), and some defensively (Jerry). There is no clear cut for early game whether you should go offensive or defensive for warriors.

7. Hunters and shooters can be offensive or defensive. It is best to specialize some for offensive and some defensive. For example, Sasha should be offensive, while Dwight defensive. Guardian Carol can be either. Yumiko can be either - there are pro and cons for either. Tara can be defensive. And some such as Tara and Dwight can be badged defensively and used mostly for PvP and raiders situations.

8. In early game, best to have at least 1 offensive survivor and 1 defensive survivor in a team. Defensively badged hero / survivor can take hits while the offensive ones can kill. In SPY team, Sasha is usually the offensive one, Princess defensive, while Yumiko can be either. Sasha stays back, away from danger, while Princess goes more forward and take hits (either accidental or incidental) to protect Sasha and / or offensive Yumiko. Similarly in melee teams, bruisers move forward while scouts can hide behind the bruisers.

9. The pro of offensive Yumiko is that she can kill. The con of offensive Yumiko (therefore pro for defensive Yumiko) is that she can accidentally kill - which results her LT not activating, therefore Princess could not get recharged.

10. Never reroll badge trait bonus, and in general do not reroll your badges at all. Reroll tokens in early games are far too valuable for this.
    BigFellaSteve
    Muirna said:
    This is really great stuff that ZXer is sharing. I just wanted to say though that to someone who thinks they have already screwed up by unlocking more heroes or whatever, or to someone who has different goals than getting to max level as fast as possible, that's okay too. I am someone who is not good with delayed gratification in a game. I unlocked heroes as I got them, got good weapons before I was max level, etc. 

Definitely the most important thing is to get into a guild/guild family with the external infrastructure to support new players well.
    Fair point. I write my guide in reflection of my own experience. 

And I also already added some comments on the revised writing above: what if you already unlocked too many heroes? I'd say depends on where you are. If you are still level 15-ish for example, starting anew could be an option. If you are right around 18, then it's judgment call. If you are around 21, I'd say push forward with delayed gratification, and get to Craftsman Level 2 as fast as possible.

And if you already have Craftsmand Level 2 - for the most part you can play full without having survivors at max level. It's not as good as having max level, but it will do.

Craftasman Level 2 is truly the most important threshold.
  • MuirnaMuirna Member Posts: 176
    Craftasman Level 2 is truly the most important threshold.
    💯 -- that was my focus as well. I think part of why I unlocked everyone was because I always had xp coming out of my ears until some point in the 20s. I was leveling as fast as I could get the tomatoes to do so, and meanwhile had enough xp to level everyone until around level 21.

Anyway, I think the way you are advising appeals to the goals of the majority of players, and you're doing something great for this community to provide some new, current information from someone who was in their shoes a year ago.
    ZXer
    edited August 4
    Part 5: Weapons

GripleeBigFellaSteveATLAS-Z
    ZXer said:
    Paste said:
    ZXer said:
    ZXer said:

Thank you.

I did mean do not upgrade. Simply because one can progress rather quickly until at least level 24-ish, where they can unlock Craftsman Level 2. But you are right I have to explain all the reasons why. Kind of obvious to me even when starting out, definitely obvious now, but not for others.

There's a lot here, and most of it likely spot on. (i don't have time to go through all of it) 

But i do agree with @paste

You NEED to upgrade some minimal weapons AND armor. Many new players will skip the armor and even I used to do this when I was leveling a million years ago. But new players can't do this anymore because of Guild Wars. Unless they are in a collective group of other newbies they are going to be expected to do PVP and without some decent armor and these upgraded weapons they will get slaughtered even by the weakest PVP Defenders.

In addition unless you are a really clever player you won't get very far in challenge which means you won't be able to claim much on season campaigns without some decent gear on at least a few of your troops.

That said if you're one of those people that has the tenacity to straight up grind grind grind non-stop with every moment of your free time then yes don't bother upgrading any gear because you'll get to the end game pretty quickly. But most players do not have it in them to do this and will level up more slowly. And leveling up slowly means campaigns and events are going to come and go and you're going to want to participate in Guild Wars and things like that so level up some gear or you will not be very useful in doing these things.

Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Our page :

Send me a PM
    ATLAS-Z said:

But i do agree with @paste

You NEED to upgrade some minimal weapons AND armor. Many new players will skip the armor and even I used to do this when I was leveling a million years ago. But new players can't do this anymore because of Guild Wars. Unless they are in a collective group of other newbies they are going to be expected to do PVP and without some decent armor and these upgraded weapons they will get slaughtered even by the weakest PVP Defenders.

So here's perhaps an overlooked idea that I did not state up front.

If you do that absolute minimum = 6 unlocked heroes, straight up scavenging only tomatoes, AND play all game modes including all seasons missions, story missions, challenge, Last Stand, GW, Challenge - everything - to your heart content (which is what I did)

You should be able to breeze through council level 24 in about 6-8 weeks. I played 1 week of Guild War in that time span, and of course, I stayed in bonus rounds.

And yes @Paste made an excellent point of course, and I've modified the paragraph

" Do not upgrade any weapons .. unless you have too much XP (you will) ... When this happens you can upgrade some weapons and train some regular survivors with great traits, starting with campaign and Guild War weapons. But do not spend any reroll or reinforcement tokens, not yet. Hoard them up. "

The idea here is to clear that Craftsmand Level 2 as fast as possible. And with minimum baggage, this really is doable long before you even understand how Challenge and Guild War supposed to work.

ATLAS-Z
    Oh also I remember one important problem

Weapon workshop was quite expensive to upgrade and wouldn't give you a lot of points. Focusing on weapons will set you back weeks or even months from leveling up your council level quickly so you can get that Craftsman Level 2.
    Additional note:

At some point you should make Tomato farms the top priority. 

The ultimate goal is to have everything in camp leveled to maximum, and the earlier you max the farms, the more they work for you while you're tending to the rest. 

Our page :

Send me a PM
    ZXer
  • Chris7thLegionChris7thLegion Member Posts: 55
    Muirna said:
    This is really great stuff that ZXer is sharing. I just wanted to say though that to someone who thinks they have already screwed up by unlocking more heroes or whatever, or to someone who has different goals than getting to max level as fast as possible, that's okay too. I am someone who is not good with delayed gratification in a game. I unlocked heroes as I got them, got good weapons before I was max level, etc. I read a lot and informed myself, and then decided from there what I wanted to follow and what I didn't. So it took me longer to get max level, but going slower along the way, I was able to score higher in Challenges and do better in GWs along the way, getting better rewards etc. So there's always a trade off. I had fun being able to use all the heroes, who I now generally have no reason to use at max level, so it was worth it to me because it was fun for me. This was before heroes like Princess and Yumiko and SPY team though, so it is probably different leveling now than it used to be. 

Meanwhile, I have one hero and no 3 stars survivor. I'm 20 tokens away from getting Rosita and two days away from getting Abraham. I started at a good time because of the radio event weekend. Saving it all for the special 40 radio calls. Hopefully the next one is similar to the Easter best hero's call. 
    edited August 5

OK, I know quite a bit because I only started this game in June 2021 and been making quite good progress. So I am writing this guide to help those who are just starting out. This guide is written from my perspective on how I did it - definitely only one of the many strategies.

1. Do not unlock too many heroes. At the beginning, I only unlocked Original Daryl, Abraham, Hilltop Maggie (Haggie), Pizza Guy Glenn (PGG), Governor, Eugene. The fewer you unlock, the fewer XP you need to train / upgrade later on.

What if you are reading this guide and - oops - you already unlock a lot of heroes? Keep on reading. Basically, it's judgment call. If you are only at survivor level 15 - starting anew is always an option - it might be easier and faster long term. If you are at survivor level 21 and have 10 heroes unlocked - no sweat. Keep on reading. If you have, say 20 heroes unlocked and you're at survivor level 18 - that will be judgment call. Keep on reading.

The 5 out of 6 above-mentioned heroes are ones you normally get from Story Missions. Haggie is an exception - you need one shooter but it does not need to be her.

Note that there are "heroes" and there are "regular survivors". Feel free to unlock, train, and dump regular survivors all the time. "Heroes" once unlocked, stay with you, and you are gonna have to train them with XP sooner or later.

Heroes are unlocked at the highest level of any one of your survivors, regardless of the survivor class. Example: You have Assault level 20 but your highest level survivor (hero or non-hero) is Scout level 25. You want to unlock Mercer (Assault) - he will unlock at level 25 (credit @FuriousMoldovan )

2. Note the most important milestones: Craftsman Level 2. Hoard all of your gold components and most of your blue components until you reach this. If you follow this guide you should reach this milestones in 6-8 weeks. Craftsman level 2 allows you to craft far better badges than Craftsman level 1, making any badges you crafted earlier on pretty much obsolete. 

3. In fact, hoard everything: gold, tools, weapons, tokens, radios, everything. Never buy anything until much later. Not for gold, not for $. Except survivor slots. You can buy survivor slots until they cost about 150 gold.

4. Prioritize leveling up until at least you get Craftsman Level 2. But this does not mean you should farm and scavenge - I did not. I played all game modes casually and this was enough to level up quickly. Only when there were tomato events I prioritized playing Scavenge Missions.

But also do your math - calculate the lowest tomato-to-building-point ratios. These are the "cheapest buildings" that you should prioritize so you can level up quickly. Also consider prioritizing tomato farms, although when they become "expensive", you should still prioritize other "cheaper" buildings.

Besides the "cheapest buildings", you should also upgrade your council and then your training ground as soon as they are available. Because as you level up your survivors, the Scavenge Mission rewards will go up with it.

Weapon Workshop is one of the "most expensive buildings". For this reason, I never upgraded my workshop until the very end. Okay, this is one of the most contentious points in this guide, but upgrading your workshop quickly will set you back few weeks or even months. Therefore I'd still recommend that you prioritize cheaper buildings over upgrading your workshop.

Also, similar to 1 above here : Gear from Guild Shop, BM, TG store, etc unlocks at the highest level of any survivor of this class, which gear belongs to. So any weapons you upgrade now will probably obsolete in 2 weeks.

5. Prioritize XP for training up your favorite heroes before anything else. 

For me, Governor - Abraham - PGG are my go-to guys for Scavenging missions. Do this quickly like 3-4 times a day until you run out of gas. There are other more optimized farming methods, but trust me, this method is the most time-efficient. I have not even unlocked hunter Maggie until now. Until survivor level 21-ish I went up 2-3 levels per week, then about 1 per week between 21-25-ish, then it gets painfully slow from there.

Depending on situations, Haggie, Daryl, and Eugene also have many uses in low level challenge and Guild Wars.

When you have more XP then you need, only then you should use them for training regular survivors and weapons.

6. Do not unlock weapons from campaign or GW until the very last moment (but don't forget either). Do not spend any reroll or reinforcement tokens either, not yet. Hoard them up.

7. Occasionally there are special radio calls, costs 40 radios, will give you the best heroes. OK, so best heroes are: Sasha, Princess, Mercer, Yumiko, Ezekiel, Guardian Carol, Riot Gear Glenn, Huntsman Daryl. When they put these heroes together on those 40 radios call plus no more than 2-3 other junk (those not mentioned here), you can start spending your radios. 

8. Once you have Craftsman Level 2, you can decide to start "playing" the game properly if you want. You really need Craftsman Level 2 as this gives you far better badges than level 1, but the rest, you can get by without having max level.

But I personally waited until survivor level 26 before unlocking additional heroes. This is what I did, but you can start "playing" the game properly as soon as you get Craftsman Level 2.

9. Once you reach level 26-27-ish, then XP becomes very very scarce. This is when I started "dropping" those original survivors. You only need to train one survivor to max level, then the next survivor you unlock will be at that level. So, for example, at level 26, I only train HMaggie to level 26. Then I unlocked Sasha. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then up trained Sasha to level 27, then I unlocked Yumiko. Everybody else I left at level 25. Then I trained Sasha again to level 28, then I unlocked Princess. Everybody else I left at level 25. So at level 28 (which was the max at that time), I have the most important heroes (Sasha and Princess) already at level 28 by spending XP to up train only one hero. Therefore I can focus my XP to upgrade weapons. More on this later.

ATLAS-Z said:
    Additional note:

At some point you should make Tomato farms the top priority. 

The ultimate goal is to have everything in camp leveled to maximum, and the earlier you max the farms, the more they work for you while you're tending to the rest. 
    Done. Added.
    edited August 5
    Part 3: "Crate" Weapons and Armors

1. Generally speaking, do not invest in low level weapons and armors. Do not spend reinforcement tokens, and definitely do not buy weapons and armors with gold or $$$ - at least until you have Craftsman Level 2.

2. But you might come across some coming from crates with "unicorn" traits. Be sure to "love" it and keep it. If your workshop allows it, go ahead and upgrade them when you have enough XP.

Some examples:

Unicorn Armors = silver hazard suit or stun resistance + gold primed + gold ruthless 
    Semi-unicorn = gold primed + silver ruthless or gold ruthless + silver primed ; third trait could be anything
    For bruisers, gold ruthless and primed may be substituted by gold hazard suit and gold dodge

Note that hazard suit does not drop in crates for ranged classes
    Note that dodge trait (on armor or on the survivors) is largely useless without hazard suit trait on the armors

Note that all unicorn armors are useful at any level. Generally speaking = never spend reinforcement tokens on armors, except maybe on truly unicorn bruiser armors.

Unicorn Shooter Weapon = silver / gold lucky + silver / gold ranged + gold cripple
    Cripple is the best trait for shooter weapon, but it cannot be combined with piercing. Gold cripple should be the 1st priority, silver lucky the 2nd priority.

I will discuss this in depth later - but after certain difficulties, your attacks will result in body shots, which makes it much more difficult to kill enemies. This begins happen at level +3 and becomes guaranteed at level +5 (above your survivor level).

You will not have any difficulties at all clearing out enemies up to level +5 with proper badges. So the "real game" begins at level +5 when all your attacks are body shots. But this also means that a gold cripple gun will almost always result in crippled enemy. A gun with gold cripple and at least silver lucky and lucky trait on the survivor will always result in crippled enemy (note: if your lucky trait level is still too low it might not be 100%, but should be 99% or so).

Any enemy that is hit by a crippling overwatch or primed-overwatch will not attack. This is an additional reason why shooter weapon with cripple is very important.

Unicorn Bruiser Weapon = silver / gold concussion + silver / gold lucky + gold interrupt
    Another useful trait for bruisers is razor, so perhaps a combination of concussion, razor, and lucky or interrupt is also good. However soon enough you'd want to buy Morgan Staff or Hockey Stick at the Black Market, which would have all these traits (but better, because they make 3-space arc). The unicorn trait I mentioned above would be priceless later on, so keep looking.

Unicorn Scout / Warrior Weapon = silver / gold lucky + silver / gold razor + gold interrupt

I don't know if anyone would consider any hunter / assault weapon from crates to be "unicorn" as there are so many special weapons from campaign or guild wars for these two classes, but generally probably anything with lucky, wide spread / large caliber, interrupt, fire (hunters only), and in some cases piercing and ensnare (must come together as at high level ensnare won't activate without piercing)

Generally speaking = never spend reinforcement tokens on these weapons either, though in some cases it might not be a very bad idea (but still a bad idea).

Unicorns are pretty rare, so yeah at the beginning you will have to make do with something almost a unicorn, but not quite.

@Paste - this is probably what you meant about some traits are worth upgrading?
    Griplee
    edited August 7

1. At early game, badges are the most important thing that helps you stay alive and punch (kill) above your level. Craft as many badge as you can as soon as you have Craftsman Level 1, but save all your gold components until you have Craftsman Level 2. When you start to get close to Craftsman Level 2 (say = 2-3 levels below), start saving your blue components as well.

Generally speaking, an assault with 3x green-blue damage badges can mop down +1 level enemies without upgraded weapons. Combining two such assaults can help you mop down +3 level enemies = by having one hits after the other. So with reasonably good badges, you can use 2 assaults to do quick tomato scavenging. And if your badges are borderline, you can also combine one assault with one hunter (say, Governor-Daryl-PGG team on scavenging missions).

or

3. In early-early game, D badges are most important. It will help you clear maps up to 3 levels above your survivor level with little efforts. I did say that mixing badges is generally bad, but in early-early game (when you just unlocked Craftsman Level 1), I would recommend you to put 3x D badges on everyone. The other 3 can be any other combination. Don't worry, NG usually gives out free badge un-equip event every other month, so you can fix and redo everyone's badge every other month.

4. At mid level, the DR badges are the most important. I would recommend that you use a good portion of your gold components to craft DR badges with the right trait bonus (usually dodge or retaliate). Again, I will not talk in depth about badge crafting as the best and most up-to-date guide is available at the community discord channel.

5. Generally speaking, assaults should always be defensive at mid level and then changed to offensive once you are comfortable with Guild Wars island 12 and above.

Exceptions:
    Governor can be full offensive = to help you clear scavenging mission quickly
    Abraham can be full offensive = to help Governor in with scavenging
    Mercer = can go either way

6. Generally speaking, bruisers should always be defensive.

Exceptions:
    T-Dog = can go either way

7. Generally speaking, scouts should always be offensive.

Exceptions:
    PGG = can go either way or even mix D+DR (his only use usually is to open crates)

8. Warriors, hunters, and shooters can go either way. 

Some warriors like Michonne are natural offensive, and some like Jerry are natural defensive
    Some hunters like Sasha are natural offensive. Dwight might look like offensive but could be best used as defensive hunter in PvP and raiders missions.
    Some shooters are natural defensive such as Tara, but most shooters can go either way.

Yumiko can go either way. The pro of giving her offensive badges is so she can kill. But then offensive Yumiko can also "accidentally kill" - which results in her LT not activating.

9. In mid level game, best to have at least 1 offensive survivor and 1 defensive survivor in a team. Defensively badged hero / survivor can take hits while the offensive ones can kill. In SPY team, Sasha is usually the offensive one, Princess defensive, while Yumiko can be either. Sasha stays back, away from danger, while Princess goes more forward and take hits (either accidental or incidental) to protect Sasha and / or offensive Yumiko. Similarly in melee teams, bruisers move forward while scouts can hide behind the bruisers.