Beginner questions?

Chris7thLegionChris7thLegion Member Posts: 55
Hello Fellow Survivors,

I am struggling to find some of the most basic questions/mechanics of this game answered on the forum search bar and the web. As such, I have compiled a list of questions that I need answer to. I will keep this updated as the further I get into the game, the more questions I will have. 

Update: Question in bold has been answered. New questions are not in bold. 

Thank you!

1. Do you lose your equipped gear if you delete a character?
1A. Should I get rid of my beginner survivors and other 1 star character? Is it even worth training them?
2. What is the best use of the radio calls, is it the 40 radios event? Should I ignore Star Hero or/and 2X Hero calls?
3. Do heroes take up character slots?
4. What should I buy at the trade goods store?
5. What should I buy with real money, are there any good deals that is worth its weight in gold?
6. Guild store - how does it work exactly, and is it even active?
7. Do most people here play NML on their phones or computers/laptops?
8. Is there any updated base-building guide or guides out there?
9. Challenges - can you gain stars by doing the same mission (same round) over again or do you need to move on to the next round? How is it calculated?
10. Gas - Does the 24 hours unlimited gas affects your current gas amount? Should I use up all of my gas before the unlimited gas boost happens (6th day reward on new account)?
11. What is the average star challenges for most players?
12. Should you upgrade low level legendary gears?
13. What non-hero survivors should you promote and to what star level? What traits should I look for?
14. Outpost - Is there any way to remove my outpost survivors once I set up my outpost? I like the extra survivor slots for mission. 
15. Trade goods store - what do you recommend buying with TGs?
16. Missions - are there a priority of which types of mission to do first (story, season, etc.) or which is the most efficient and productive?
17. How does extra crates refill work and how do you time it perfectly? How is it that sometimes I get 6 crates refill after mission instead of the usual 4?
18. Distance - why does distance ask to lock in my survivors? Should I wait until all of my survivors are heal before accepting distance? If I train my survivors to a higher level, would it be updated in distance?
19. Hospital - Do hospital time get reduce with higher hospital levels? I have a level 5 hospital and waiting for a survivor to heal still takes 39 minutes. Does higher level hospital allow you to choose which survivor to prioritize first?
20. Walker Pit - Why is walkers consider useless in outpost? Should I even bother upgrading my walker pit?
21. Master Pass - What level do I get the master pass for challenges?

I will update if more questions arise. I hope these questions help other beginners as well. 

Thank you for participating. 

P.S I love this game and the community!

Comments

• BurmeliinisBurmeliinis Member Posts: 1,163
    edited August 3

No

1A. Should I get rid of my beginner survivors and other 1 star character? Is it even worth training them?

Yes you should scrap them. You should only train heroes.

2. What is the best use of the radio calls, is it the 40 radios event? Should I ignore Star Hero or/and 2X Hero calls?

The 40 radios event is best, but only when only good heroes are offered. The summer call which just ran was a good one.

no

Gas and hero & survivor tokens. 

5. What should I buy with real money, are there any good deals that is worth its weight in gold?

Nothing. Only start spending real money when you are at lvl 29 or close to it.

Guild store is active if and when you participate in the Guild Wars, and when a GW season is running (it's not now). You get reward points, which can be used to buy stuff from the GW shop, by completing guild war missions.

Phones. This is purely a mobile game.

Check out Z-Xers guide which was posted on the forum just a short while ago.
    Ingame username: Jubjab
    BenjaminTChris7thLegion
  • echonapechonap Member Posts: 174

no

I only use heroes but it’s good to have one survivor in every class with ideal traits. Delete all 1-3 star characters, but if you find a 4 star survivor with 4 good traits, roll for the fifth. 

40 radio calls will net you the most tokens per radio. Wait for one where the subset of heroes are all ones you want. The 15 radio calls are only good for end gamers who have very targeted token needs. I

3. Do heroes take up character slot?

no

Every possible hero token, golden crate, gas, radio, reroll tokens, reinforcement tokens, tools. I skip all class tokens and gear crates and by doing so, my TG income exceeds my TG expenditure so I never need to play outpost. 

The only thing worth buying in my eyes are weapon bundles. Everything else can be gained slowly in game. Currently, the premium weapons are:

interrupt MS
    tactical decimator
    starbound incendiary rifle
    bulldozer shotgun with root

There are more, but these are the ones worth the money. 

only active during GW

I only play on my phone. There is a way to play on PC, but I think any mention of it on the forum might get you banned.

There’s not much to it. Always upgrade council first, training grounds second. The rest of the order doesn’t really matter. You can’t do it wrong, and eventually you’ll be in the same state as everyone else.
    Chris7thLegion
  • MuirnaMuirna Member Posts: 176
    Hello Fellow Survivors,

I am struggling to find some of the most basic questions/mechanics of this game answered on the forum search bar and the web. As such, I have compiled a list of questions that I need answer to. 

I will update if more questions arise. I hope these questions help other beginners as well. 

Thank you for participating. 
    1. Generally no. But if you already have the max amount of gear, the game autodeletes any gear that is not legendary or epic (gold or blue), which could include gear you have on a survivor you are scrapping.

1a. Since you get free radio calls each day, as well as get survivors as you play through the Chapters, you can just replace survivors as you get better ones. There are players who have been playing this game for many years -- before there even were heroes -- and they may have maxed out survivors with perfect traits that they use sometimes. Those of us who have started in more recent years will generally do better with heroes. If you have class tokens and want to unlock survivor traits, or have lots of excess xp and want to level survivors, you can. But I advise against ever using reroll tokens on them or going out of your way to upgrade or invest in them. I personally never use them now at end game, though I did use them more when I started.

2. Currently at end game, you can do everything in this game with Sasha, Princess, and Yumiko. My next most used heroes would be Mercer and Ezekiel. Riot Gear Glenn, Eugene, scout Rick and Daryl and Glenn. And before SPY, I used Beta in the lead a lot -- herding was really fun but has its limit. The 40 radio call that just passed with Princess, Mercer, Sasha, Yumiko and Carol and a few others was a very good call because the pool was very limited to mostly very important and useful heroes. I used all the radios I had saved on it. But not all 40 radio calls are good. It matters more who is in the call and if you are guaranteed one of them versus the number of radios. There have also been excellent calls that cost fewer than 40 radios. I don't recommend using radios on any standard calls because they could just give you survivors.

3. No, heros do not take up your survivor slots.

4. I only use or used trade goods to buy things in it (or trade in components during those events -- I don't do super precise badge crafting anymore so I don’t care about having low quality components), so when I was a newer player I spent a lot of time playing Outpost to keep generating more trade goods. This was good for skill building for doing pvps in GWs, and also generates some xp. I use trade goods to buy the crates, hero tokens, radios, gas, components. As you are growing, I would not recommend buying class tokens, weapons, or gear from there.

5. I'm not sure it makes sense to spend $ on weapons or gear when you aren't max level or close. I guess it depends whether you have a gaming budget -- it isn't necessary though. You can get some very good weapons with gold in the Black Market such as the decimator with the lucky trait and the winter harpoon. You will also be able to get excellent gear as you play Guild Wars -- for example this upcoming season will have the best shooter weapon (cripple + fire) and best shooter armor you can get in the game so far.

6. During a Guild Wars season and for a few weeks afterward, you can use rewards points you earn from playing Guild Wars to buy things like weapons and armor, etc. 

7. I think most people play NML on their phones while other play it on their tablet. I have played it on both and prefer playing on my phone, though maybe because that is what I am used to. I had a guildmate who preferred playing on their tablet though. I also briefly tried playing on my laptop using an emulator, but hated it.

8. Z-Xer just made a post with his advice for new players. I'd also encourage players to join a guild that has extensive support for new players and external communication such as Discord for its members since in-game chat is not user friendly and not good for sharing videos or providing personalized mentoring.

I also recommend joining the NML Discord server (player run, not affiliated with this NG forum) -- it isn't going to provide the individualized support for new players that a guild family will, but it has a wealth of information and you can learn a lot reading on there, watching videos, etc.
    Chris7thLegion
  • Chris7thLegionChris7thLegion Member Posts: 55

No

Yes you should scrap them. You should only train heroes.

The 40 radios event is best, but only when only good heroes are offered. The summer call which just ran was a good one.

no

Gas and hero & survivor tokens. 

Nothing. Only start spending real money when you are at lvl 29 or close to it.

Guild store is active if and when you participate in the Guild Wars, and when a GW season is running (it's not now). You get reward points, which can be used to buy stuff from the GW shop, by completing guild war missions.

Phones. This is purely a mobile game.

Check out Z-Xers guide which was posted on the forum just a short while ago.
    Thank you! 

You answered all of my questions. 
    Burmeliinis
  • BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 258
    9. Challenges - can you gain stars by doing the same mission (same round) over again or do you need to move on to the next round? How is it calculated?

You can redo challenge missions as many times as you like, if you complete it with 1 star then this means you can try again if you think you can do better. But you can’t get more than 4 stars, no matter how many times you redo.

10. Gas - Does the 24 hours unlimited gas affects your current gas amount? Should I use up all of my gas before the unlimited gas boost happens (6th day reward on new account)?

Your gas will refill to it’s max capacity and accumulate all the extra gas you find in crates/as rewards during the gas boost. Can’t go wrong here, use the boost when you’ve got the time and the rest is taken care of by the game.

No idea on this one, I’m afraid. All I can think to say is that most of the high scoring guilds expect you to be getting 1500/2000 stars a week. So once you’re regularly over 1500 you’re probably significantly above the average.

Not sure here, either. @Z-Xer recently made a beginners guide and makes a good case for why you shouldn’t. Depends on your priorities, I suppose. @Z-Xer has detailed how to get to max levels as quickly as possible, and he says not to prioritise levelling low level equipment. But you regularly have sn excess of XP and Z-Xer advises spending this on weapons and armour

13. What non-hero survivors should you promote and to what star level? What traits should I look for?

@aMirror4nerds has posted a brilliant guide for all class traits on the discord. Not sure if it’s updated to include the newest trait Weakening though. Lots to into here but very roughly speaking…

Shooters/Hunters: Lucky, Marksman, Critical Aim, Ruthless, Sureshot

Assaults: Lucky, Marksman, Ruthless, Sureshot, Vigilant

Warriors/Scouts: Ruthless, Power Strike, Weakening, Lucky, Strong

Bruisers: Lucky, Weakening, Punish, Perseverance, Dodge 

14. Outpost - Is there any way to remove my outpost survivors once I set up my outpost? I like the extra survivor slots for mission.

Afraid not, they still keep their slot

Reroll tokens, Reinforcement Tokens, Gas, Hero tokens, Gold Crates
    I like playing the lottery on the random traits weapons and armour too

16. Missions - are there a priority of which types of mission to do first (story, season, etc.) or which is the most efficient and productive?

I don’t think you can really go wrong here, but I’m not sure. I’ll be interested to see how others answer this question 
    MuirnaChris7thLegion
  • ZXerZXer Member Posts: 144

Not sure here, either. @Z-Xer recently made a beginners guide and makes a good case for why you shouldn’t. Depends on your priorities, I suppose. @Z-Xer has detailed how to get to max levels as quickly as possible, and he says not to prioritise levelling low level equipment. But you regularly have sn excess of XP and Z-Xer advises spending this on weapons and armour

I have revised the guide to incorporate new inputs and to make sure the original comments are not misinterpreted. Take a look
  • Chris7thLegionChris7thLegion Member Posts: 55
    edited August 8

You can redo challenge missions as many times as you like, if you complete it with 1 star then this means you can try again if you think you can do better. But you can’t get more than 4 stars, no matter how many times you redo.

Your gas will refill to it’s max capacity and accumulate all the extra gas you find in crates/as rewards during the gas boost. Can’t go wrong here, use the boost when you’ve got the time and the rest is taken care of by the game.

No idea on this one, I’m afraid. All I can think to say is that most of the high scoring guilds expect you to be getting 1500/2000 stars a week. So once you’re regularly over 1500 you’re probably significantly above the average.

@aMirror4nerds has posted a brilliant guide for all class traits on the discord. Not sure if it’s updated to include the newest trait Weakening though. Lots to into here but very roughly speaking…

Shooters/Hunters: Lucky, Marksman, Critical Aim, Ruthless, Sureshot

Assaults: Lucky, Marksman, Ruthless, Sureshot, Vigilant

Warriors/Scouts: Ruthless, Power Strike, Weakening, Lucky, Strong

Bruisers: Lucky, Weakening, Punish, Perseverance, Dodge 

Afraid not, they still keep their slot

Reroll tokens, Reinforcement Tokens, Gas, Hero tokens, Gold Crates
    I like playing the lottery on the random traits weapons and armour too

I don’t think you can really go wrong here, but I’m not sure. I’ll be interested to see how others answer this question 
    I added new questions (not in bold in updated post), if you mind answering it. You have been very helpful!

Edit: These are the new questions.

17. How does extra crates refill work and how do you time it perfectly? How is it that sometimes I get 6 crates refill after mission instead of the usual 4?
    18. Distance - why does distance ask to lock in my survivors? Should I wait until all of my survivors are heal before accepting distance? If I train my survivors to a higher level, would it be updated in distance?
    19. Hospital - Do hospital time get reduce with higher hospital levels? I have a level 5 hospital and waiting for a survivor to heal still takes 39 minutes. Does higher level hospital allow you to choose which survivor to prioritize first?
    20. Walker Pit - Why is walkers consider useless in outpost? Should I even bother upgrading my walker pit?

Thank you again. 

• BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 258

This is what’s known as a weekend event, sometimes the game allows you to open a second set of 3 crates after a mission 6 times per hour. It’s a bonus thing to encourage us to play more. It’s not in your control when it does and doesn’t happen.

Im not sure, I don’t understand what locking in means, can’t remember coming across that phrase in the game. Anyone else know?

It gets longer I’m afraid, but higher level hospital means healing for more survivors in 1 go. Max healing bays is 4

its an old game mode which isn’t updated anymore, some endgamers invest time and resources into this when they’re completing all other game modes but while you’re developing you’re beat off igniribg this. It’s not really going to help your heroes develop or your player level increase in any meaningful way,

I think when your council gets to lvl 12 you can play master missions in challenge 

Chris7thLegion