Z-Xer Beginners Guide

2»

Comments

• ZXerZXer Member Posts: 244
    edited August 8
    Part 5: Survivor Traits

I am writing this from the perspective of new players - a group I myself belong to.

Rerolling traits will be the most important thing to progress in TWD NML world; but also the most expensive, because reroll tokens will end up to be the rarest commodity, and you really need a lot of it.

Therefore, for new players like myself, it is not about getting the "perfect traits". But rather, what is a set of "good enough" traits?

Which gets us to the following table.

For new players, the so-called SPY team (Sasha-Princess-Yumiko) will be your most important team. After that you can add Mercer, and maybe Guardian Carol. You should spend all your reroll tokens to get at least the "must have" in the table below. As example: "Lucky" is a must-have trait for all in SPY team.

Lucky trait combined with lucky-crippling shooter weapon will provide guaranteed cripple against high level enemies. On Assaults, lucky trait combined with lucky armor and lucky weapon will provide 95-98% chance of concussions. On Sasha, lucky improves the chance her traits activate (although it is a lot less important now that she could use a lucky-primed armor).

After that, get the "priority". Everything else can wait.

Then you can go improving the traits of the other heroes. For me the next one would be Ezekiel, then RGG (Riot Gear Glenn), then HD (Huntsman Daryl). After that then it's up to your personal favorites. Perhaps Michonne (who just got her Leadership Trait / LT revamped), then SR (Survivalist Rick), T-Dog, Beta, and Eugene.

In any case, don't get hang up on a "perfect" set of traits. It's more important to get the "must have" on all your most favorite heroes before getting the next line items: the priority and the nice-to-haves.

Also one thing to note: weakening trait might have undesired side effect and that is nullify the "body shot" guarantee of non-razor weapons against high level enemies. For this reason it might be wise to not put weakening trait on at least a few of your warriors.

Don't Forget about "Unicorn" Surivors

NG gives us free calls to get new survivors, and unlike reroll tokens, these calls are relatively "cheap". That means you can keep calling new survivors, upgrade them if they have good traits, then trash them again if the traits are bad. You can keep doing this, and once in a blue moon you'll end up with some "unicorn" survivors. These unicorn survivors might perform better than some heroes, and they cost zero reroll tokens!

Member of MavsOG
  • Chris7thLegionChris7thLegion Member Posts: 95
    ZXer has answered my call! 

Thank you for the unicorn traits! With JayZ gone, it so great to have another fantastic guide giver! 

You mentioned that unicorn survivors can be better than certain heroes. How is this possible since survivors don't have leader traits? 

I learned a lot from this guide.

Chris
    BenjaminT

You mentioned that unicorn survivors can be better than certain heroes. How is this possible since survivors don't have leader traits? 

Chris
     Easy example is Jerry - his LT is not at all useful that it's just taking up space of traits

Regular warrior could have 5th trait instead

For example weakening-perseverance-lucky-ruthless-powerstrike

Or you could substitute lucky or perseverance for strong

Member of MavsOG
    Chris7thLegion
    edited August 9
    Another example - high spending end gamers usually don't use heroes for GW defense.

They have hunters with retaliate-revenge-CA-sureshot-lucky, or sometimes they substitute the retaliate with marksman or vigilant

In this case the 5th trait is more useful than most heroes' LT such as Sasha's
    Member of MavsOG
    edited August 13
    Part 6: Radio Calls

Generally speaking, the 40 radio calls are the best deals. Next best are the 25 radio calls. But obviously they all depend on who are in the calls - whether you need them or not. It's largely depend on your preference and how you play, but here are the most important heroes for n00bs - in order of importance

1. Princess. You will need her LT, be it in star hero format, or PMY (Princess-Mercer-Yumiko), or even SPY. LT 7-8 is often a necessity to complete challenge with max stars in some mapsets.

2. Sasha. At LT 5 she is generally quite reliable already in using SPY teams; at LT 7-8 she will make SMY/SAY teams also reliable. Above that she will be a good outpost defender (where I currently put her when not in Guild War (GW) seasons).

3. Mercer. 

4. RGG (Riot Gear Glenn). Stuns from charged attack is the name of the game for bruisers - and RGG will be the bruiser you most often go-to. At LT 7 combined with lucky traits from survivor and weapon or armor plus cat will guarantee you to start fully charged. Also the higher the traits level, the higher the chance you get charged automatically every turn through pers, weakn, and punish.

5. Michonne. Currently is the consensus for the 2nd warrior (after Ezekiel) - however Ezekiel's LT does not really need leveling up as much.

6. HD (Huntsmand Daryl)

7. GC (Guardian Carol)

8. Yumiko

9. T-Dog. He's probably a better bruiser than RGG, however, will probably not start charged unless the star hero is a bruiser, and there are very few maps where you'd want to use 2 bruisers at the same time.

10. SR (Survivalist Rick)

11. Haggie (Hilltop Maggie)

12. Ezekiel. 
    Although he is probably everyone's go-to warrior at the moment, his LT is about as good at low level as it is at high level.

13. Beth might be unseating SR or even HD as the go-to scout given the new traits and the revamp of her LT

14. Shane

15. PGG (Pizza Guy Glenn). 
    Not too critical but is one of the most-used heroes - so the higher the perseverance and weakening traits, the easier he gets charged up.

16. Eugene can often be used as raider / PvP go-to guy

17. Carl has formidable LT at high level when used as outpost / GW defender
    Member of MavsOG
    Jago76Angelspit
    Please do comment in this thread if you want me to continue. Or, if you have specific questions, ask them up. I might just discuss that as the next topic.
    Member of MavsOG
    Chris7thLegion
  • BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 429
    Hey ZXer,

How about doing something on a barebones arsenal for f2p players from the black market? The minimum weapons needed to start getting far in, or even completing, challenge which f2p players can start acquiring when levelled to mid 20s?

f2p players slog it out and grind to build up enough gold to buy a 1000g weapon and are bombarded with loads of different options which look really cool but turn out a huge waste of their hard fought for resources.

Apologies if this is already included and I’ve missed it 
    ZXer said:

Chris
     Easy example is Jerry - his LT is not at all useful that it's just taking up space of traits

Regular warrior could have 5th trait instead

For example weakening-perseverance-lucky-ruthless-powerstrike

Or you could substitute lucky or perseverance for strong

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! 

P.S Didn't know Carl was great, outpost defending could lead to extra TGs. 
  • FuriousMoldovanFuriousMoldovan Member Posts: 2,231
    Outpost defense wins bring in only experience points, no TG.

(they used to long ago but not anymore).
    Leader of the original TWD guild family (est. 10/2015). We Are TWD 😎
    FuriousMoldovan's NML Glossary & Guild Wars Difficulty Guide
    Chris7thLegion
    You know I been thinking long and hard and even discussed this with my guildmates and I came to the conclusion that the entire point of playing games in general is about having fun. These types of guides are meant for min-max and serve as a very strong reference for efficient high-end gaming. But I don't believe it is the most optimal way to play, without burnout, at least for those that play daily like myself. 

If level 29 is the max level currently for hero and the goal of this guide is to unlock most of the heroes by level 24-26, then most of the game was done without using more than half of the hero's pool. I watched many videos, and I noticed that many players only focused on a few heroes (before SPMY). How much of this is trying to save all the heroes for the last minute? That a good way of not understanding how certain hero work and completely disregarding them even if they are strong. 

There is also argument to be made in favor of unlocking a decent number of heroes (including SPMY). First, it will make your early and mid-game go by much faster and more effective since you will have enough heroes to not worry too much about healing times. I currently have 3 heroes unlock (Daryl, Abraham, and Rosita), and even if one of them get injured, my game just froze for the next 1 to 2 hours, and I lost interest for a few hours. In early game, I was able to get away with just using 1 hero and 2 survivors, but it's getting harder with every increase in player level, council level, and survivor level. I don't think you should unlock every hero the moment you have enough tokens to unlock them, but I also don't think you should restrict yourself from continuing playing the game. From my experience of playing games for decades, the biggest reason why so many players don't reach end game is due to burnout. 

This game is only as strong as its player base, so using this guide as a reference point would be most ideal---and customize it to your playstyle. For me personally, I think you should unlock one new hero after every 3-player level (not survivor level or council level) increase, because this will allow your experience to remain fresh while learning the game as you grow. This will also allow you to earn higher scores in challenge, distance, last stand, guild wars, while improving your downtime. 

I think as adults, we sometime forget our youthful spirit and what it like to be a kid again. How every little thing made us smile and how the world was full of possibilities. As adults, we put ourselves in these self-imposed boxes because we have other life responsibilities and more knowledge of how the world works---sometime at our own behest.  

ZXerAngelspit
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 6,605
    edited August 14
    @Chris7thLegion your not wrong, everyone should play in ways that makes the game enjoyable for them.

However, most players coming here looking for advice are players that want to make the best of their time and resources to grow their game & teams in the most effective ways. 

Guides like this will help with that. It doesn't mean you have to follow everything @ZXer has done exactly to the letter. But he's a competent player who's always reading and paying attention to the community and in tune with what works and what doesn't. So it's a good start for anyone lost and seeking guidance in this ever changing metagame.

But at the end of the day, you do what makes it fun for you, as everyone should. Fun should not be sacrificed for agressive pursuit of power... Unless your the type that likes that. And can handle it. 

Cheers 🍺

#Zombrex (Neo / Horizon / (OG) / Genesis / Prime / Elite) 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX FAMILY. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

Send me a PM
    BenjaminT
    Hey ZXer,

How about doing something on a barebones arsenal for f2p players from the black market? The minimum weapons needed to start getting far in, or even completing, challenge which f2p players can start acquiring when levelled to mid 20s?

Sure, black market weapon will be the topic for the next part!

thanks
    Member of MavsOG
    BenjaminT

If level 29 is the max level currently for hero and the goal of this guide is to unlock most of the heroes by level 24-26, then most of the game was done without using more than half of the hero's pool. 
    Level 24-26 is a pretty good thresholds to start “playing” - I thought I made that clear several times. Craftsman level 2 can be unlocked at 24 if I am not mistaken.

Don’t be fooled by the numbers however. It will take much faster to go from zero to 24 than from 24 to 29. In fact it might be faster to go from zero to 24 than from 26 to 29.

But you really don’t need to be at 29 to progress fast. Most important is Craftsman Level 2. The rest you can do without.
    Member of MavsOG
  • BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 429
    ZXer said:

If level 29 is the max level currently for hero and the goal of this guide is to unlock most of the heroes by level 24-26, then most of the game was done without using more than half of the hero's pool. 
    Level 24-26 is a pretty good thresholds to start “playing” - I thought I made that clear several times. Craftsman level 2 can be unlocked at 24 if I am not mistaken.

Don’t be fooled by the numbers however. It will take much faster to go from zero to 24 than from 24 to 29. In fact it might be faster to go from zero to 24 than from 26 to 29.

But you really don’t need to be at 29 to progress fast. Most important is Craftsman Level 2. The rest you can do without.

I’ve been at hero level 25 for a longer time than it took me to get to level 25 from zero. Not even joking, I really have  :D
    ZXer
    edited August 14
    ATLAS-Z said:
    @Chris7thLegion your not wrong, everyone should play in ways that makes the game enjoyable for them.

However, most players coming here looking for advice are players that want to make the best of their time and resources to grow their game & teams in the most effective ways. 

Guides like this will help with that. It doesn't mean you have to follow everything @ZXer has done exactly to the letter. But he's a competent player who's always reading and paying attention to the community and in tune with what works and what doesn't. So it's a good start for anyone lost and seeking guidance in this ever changing metagame.

But at the end of the day, you do what makes it fun for you, as everyone should. Fun should not be sacrificed for agressive pursuit of power... Unless your the type that likes that. And can handle it. 

Cheers 🍺
    I just wanted to offer some insight for those who may have been at a roadblock like myself. Balancing effectiveness with fun is no easy task. This type of beginner/end game guide are a must read for anyone who is serious about the game. I appreciate all the work that ZXer has put into it, and even did certain parts for me because of my request. Without this guide, I would have made so many mistakes. I would probably unlock every hero the moment I got tokens for without realizing the punishing experiences threshold with each increase in survivor levels. 

I will continue to re-read this guide and read any new updates that ZXer puts out. 

If I can help just one person reading my reply from feeling burnout, then I have done my job. 

Edit: Perhaps burnout isn't the right word. I'm not feeling burnout, but rather feel slowed down from constant hospital visit. 

@ZXer

Why do you suggest leveling up survivors over heroes when the cost to train them is the same? 
     I think you should unlock one new hero after every 3-player level (not survivor level or council level) increase, because this will allow your experience to remain fresh while learning the game as you grow. This will also allow you to earn higher scores in challenge, distance, last stand, guild wars, while improving your downtime. 

Ah I misunderstood your point.

okay on this point - note that I wrote you should refrain from unlocking heroes - not regular survivors

regular survivors come free and you can trash them all the time. 
    And they all have so many traits you can already play around with all the different traits. 
    Thing is - if you refrain from unlocking too many heroes, you won’t need to grind for XP. This is the big difference.
    Member of MavsOG

Why do you suggest leveling up survivors over heroes when the cost to train them is the same? 
    Unless you find already a unicorn - trash and get a new one. Never level up regular survivor

but watch out for unicorns. They are very rare.
    Member of MavsOG
    Wait. Yeah I remember you have to level up regular survivor between 17 and 24

then usually yeah you should level up heroes first. Then regular survivors.
    Member of MavsOG
    My recollection is that I always had too much XP thought - they only feel they became rare starting at 24-25
    Member of MavsOG
    ZXer said:
     I think you should unlock one new hero after every 3-player level (not survivor level or council level) increase, because this will allow your experience to remain fresh while learning the game as you grow. This will also allow you to earn higher scores in challenge, distance, last stand, guild wars, while improving your downtime. 

Ah I misunderstood your point.

okay on this point - note that I wrote you should refrain from unlocking heroes - not regular survivors

regular survivors come free and you can trash them all the time. 
    And they all have so many traits you can already play around with all the different traits. 
    Thing is - if you refrain from unlocking too many heroes, you won’t need to grind for XP. This is the big difference.
    The experience grind is what is killing me, as I rather focus on tomatoes. But if I can just scrape survivors and not worry about their traits, that would be ideal and allows me to hold off on unlocking heroes. I guess I was wrong for even training my regular survivors in the first place. 

Now I know, thanks!
    edited August 15
    The experience grind is what is killing me, as I rather focus on tomatoes. But if I can just scrape survivors and not worry about their traits, that would be ideal and allows me to hold off on unlocking heroes. I guess I was wrong for even training my regular survivors in the first place. 

Now I know, thanks!
    I never did grind for XP. Only tomatoes. 

If you only had 6 survivors to level up, there should be far more XP than you can possibly use just from playing all the game modes. At least until level 24-25 when XP does become scarce.

I made this point very clear in the early version of my guide but then I took it out because I thought it was a bit too repetitive.

I will add it back

thanks
    Member of MavsOG
    Chris7thLegion
    edited August 15
    ZXer said:

Now I know, thanks!
    I never did grind for XP. Only tomatoes. 

If you only had 6 survivors to level up, there should be far more XP than you can possibly use just from playing all the game modes. At least until level 24-25 when XP does become scarce.

I made this point very clear in the early version of my guide but then I took it out because I thought it was a bit too repetitive.

I will add it back

thanks
    But what do you do with all the excess XPs? If you don't use them, they go to waste due to the XPs cap?

Also, what is the max numbers of heroes or survivors (combine) you would recommend until the game starts to open up?
    So basically yeah I trained up maybe 2-3 survivors and like 1 weapon per class with the excess XP, while waiting to get tomatoes

I didn't exactly grind. That was never the intention.
    Member of MavsOG
    So besides the 6 heroes, I train up 1 warrior, 1 shooter, and 1 hunter. I needed them for GW - so I have spares when they go to hospital.
    Member of MavsOG
    Chris7thLegion