A proposal to make challenge competitive interesting again

Hey @Lexia @Fluxxx and fellow survivors ...

I have been thinking of ways to improve my favorite game. No matter how hard I try, I feel so bored to play.
 The problem started when the cap to 80 rounds began and the introduction of Princess, Mercer and Yumiko. I understand there is no going back from those changes as most would not approve. The problem is most hardcore players are bored with the game. They finish the challenge in less than a day and there is no real competition. So what can we do to make it exciting again? Without upsetting the players that have already invested in the new overpowered characters? 

This is my proposal.

Make an expert mode version of challenge .
Unlock expert mode requirements: 
-Finish the challenge 
-1000stars sacrificed.
Only use a specific pool of heroes and non-heroes chharacters

The mode would add an extra 40 rounds after completing the challenge that would be similar to the Last Stand expert mode. 

They will have the following advantages:
 1. Will make the game interesting again. It will bring back the strategic problem solving aspect of the game that has been lost. Now its just SMY, SPY or star hero with Mercer and Yumiko. Its quite boring.
 2. It will end the leaderboards being well over 100 ties for the week. People will start competing for the top spots and it won’t be easy.
 3. Guilds and players will be able to implement strategies on how they will gather their stars and if it is worth the try for their players to sacrifice stars...
 4. Players will start to play with forgotten heroes. They will actually care and try to make them strong (and no , star hero didn't succeed with that. Now the star hero can just tag along with Mercer and Yumiko and all is fine.)
 5. Even when you repeat map sets it won’t be boring because of the use of different heroes.
So different strategies would be needed to get passed through a map .

There are many map sets that without the proper heroes are almost impossible. Giving up your 1000 stars will be a gamble to play the expert challenge. This should prevent players complaining that its to hard and such, because they can keep their stars and not participate.

Lets make the game competitive again ☺️
Stay safe :-)
Marie__GagaBassreactorRiotZappaBurmeliinisBloodyChainsawliorsalmancapibara

Comments

• AnjelosAnjelos Member Posts: 69
    I like the concept, but I'm OK with the current format. The real challenge is using the Star Hero all the way to the end. I usually bail on them between Round 55-60. The top players who reach Max stars are awesome players, but make up a tiny, tiny portion of the player base. I don't see NG throwing dev time to try an do something different for that group who may not care much. Plus, additional features mean more bugs. Can we expect this Expert Mode to go smoothly? I'm wary to start the Challenge every Wednesday. :neutral:

Actually , they are not tiny portion , we have more than 200 ties every challenge , and we have many people finishing perfect always I'm less than 5h ...
    As for running smoothly ...
    As long as I play this game , there wasn't an update I rember that came without problems x)I start to deal it like is part of the game :p:smile:
    But at least , let's have something interesting to get upset that is not working ... 
    Sarge_
  • Stalker20Stalker20 Member Posts: 1,199
    I think the challenge cap has made the leaderboard pointless with everyone on 5358, not only that but the very popular nation wars is not possible anymore 😑 something needs to be done to make it properly competitive again.
    Maybe extra stars for no tools used, all melee teams, all silent weapons etc. 
    BassreactorBloodyChainsawliorsalman
  • MuirnaMuirna Member Posts: 173
    Anjelos said:

I have been thinking of ways to improve my favorite game. No matter how hard I try, I feel so bored to play.
     The problem started when the cap to 80 rounds began and the introduction of Princess, Mercer and Yumiko. I understand there is no going back from those changes as most would not approve. The problem is most hardcore players are bored with the game. They finish the challenge in less than a day and there is no real competition. So what can we do to make it exciting again? Without upsetting the players that have already invested in the new overpowered characters? 

This is my proposal.

-Finish the challenge 
    -1000stars sacrificed.

The mode would add an extra 40 rounds after completing the challenge that would be similar to the Last Stand expert mode. 

1. Will make the game interesting again. It will bring back the strategic problem solving aspect of the game that has been lost. Now its just SMY, SPY or star hero with Mercer and Yumiko. Its quite boring.
     2. It will end the leaderboards being well over 100 ties for the week. People will start competing for the top spots and it won’t be easy.
     3. Guilds and players will be able to implement strategies on how they will gather their stars and if it is worth the try for their players to sacrifice stars...
     4. Players will start to play with forgotten heroes. They will actually care and try to make them strong (and no , star hero didn't succeed with that. Now the star hero can just tag along with Mercer and Yumiko and all is fine.)
     5. Even when you repeat map sets it won’t be boring because of the use of different heroes.

There are many map sets that without the proper heroes are almost impossible. Giving up your 1000 stars will be a gamble to play the expert challenge. This should prevent players complaining that its to hard and such, because they can keep their stars and not participate.

If something like this does not get implemented, what is stopping you and others who say they feel bored and jaded from implementing all of this yourselves? Same with those complaining about GWs. I know I played in a multi-guild competition a couple of years ago that had a points structure for following various restrictions in the Challenge and required screenrecordings of the missions to earn the points.

The theme of these posts seems to be that the wins or leaderboards feel hollow because too many people can do it. Then stop caring about the leaderboard, start creating your own competitions among top players in the community, and stop holding your breath on NG. You can make the game fun for yourselves again without NG doing anything.
    BassreactorADPaqBloodyChainsaw
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 6,389
    edited August 15
    Anjelos said::

Actually , they are not tiny portion , we have more than 200 ties every challenge

Hey cheers buddy. Respect.

I will like to interject here. What @Governator said is true. 200 players out of how many? 

That's a lot of downloads... and of course all those people aren't still playing but even if 1% of them are still playing that's still 100,000 people and we know it's more than that. 200 is not even 1% of 100,000. So the end Gamers that are bored with challenge and Guild Wars because they've come too easy are indeed a very very small percentage of the greater player base. 

Not that it would change anything but I would be curious and wonder if @Lexia is allowed to share the number of active players on the server? It would be interesting to know. I doubt she is able to share this info but maybe worth asking. 😉

That said, I'm not apposed to the idea. I think it might need a little work. Or maybe even someone else comes up with something better building upon what you've brought to the table? Brainstorming ideas from the community has always been a big part of moving the game forward. Cheers to you my friend for making the effort.

#Zombrex (Neo / Horizon / (OG) / Genesis / Prime / Elite) 

Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX FAMILY. 
    Our page :
    https://m.facebook.com/Zombrex2015/

Send me a PM
    GovernatorRiotZappaNoiserating
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 3,196
    edited August 15
    I think if there's going to be a change implemented into the challenge it will need to be something quick and easy, as mentioned the list of players it would benefit is so small in relation to the player base. Most of their dev time seems to be spent on developing new features, weapons and heroes to keep us chasing the carrot. Then also on fixing bugs that those things have caused :lol:.

You can tell with the survival pass they're not as bothered about squeezing more money from the veteran players. Instead they're focusing on getting the newer players to spend money.

I think the simplest way is to create an expert mode similar to LMS with a limited pool of heroes and inflated stars to reflect the risk. Maybe awarding 2 bonus stars for a 3* finish by playing it in expert. I hate being forced into using the SH in the challenge, but the creativity from finding an unorthodox team in LMS has actually been fun and rewarding when you make the leaderboard since they buffed the multiplier.
    RiotZappa
    ATLAS-Z said:
    Anjelos said::

Actually , they are not tiny portion , we have more than 200 ties every challenge

Hey cheers buddy. Respect.

I will like to interject here. What @Governator said is true. 200 players out of how many? 

That's a lot of downloads... and of course all those people aren't still playing but even if 1% of them are still playing that's still 100,000 people and we know it's more than that. 200 is not even 1% of 100,000. So the end Gamers that are bored with challenge and Guild Wars because they've come too easy are indeed a very very small percentage of the greater player base. 

Not that it would change anything but I would be curious and wonder if @Lexia is allowed to share the number of active players on the server? It would be interesting to know. I doubt she is able to share this info but maybe worth asking. 😉

That said, I'm not apposed to the idea. I think it might need a little work. Or maybe even someone else comes up with something better building upon what you've brought to the table? Brainstorming ideas from the community has always been a big part of moving the game forward. Cheers to you my friend for making the effort.

You really think there 100k plus active players ? I really doubt it huge .
    Yeah there are many downloads , but I really doubt that the actual active players that play every week actually pass the 5k number and still that is super optimistic :x looking at the community channels numbers , the amount of actual active players might be lot lot lot smaller than that even .
    National war participation was like 4
    300player , girl power like 300, wild cap same amount ...dunno why you think there is such an amount of active players , but I really really don't think we are so many ...
    Unless you count as active players the f2p that log one time per year . Or you count the alt accounts 😂 
    Still , don't think there are more than 5k maximum that log every week .
    Reality is that are so many people quitting and/or getting unmotivated that it starts to get dead boring.

Muirna said:
    Anjelos said:

This is my proposal.

-Finish the challenge 
    -1000stars sacrificed.

If something like this does not get implemented, what is stopping you and others who say they feel bored and jaded from implementing all of this yourselves? Same with those complaining about GWs. I know I played in a multi-guild competition a couple of years ago that had a points structure for following various restrictions in the Challenge and required screenrecordings of the missions to earn the points.

The theme of these posts seems to be that the wins or leaderboards feel hollow because too many people can do it. Then stop caring about the leaderboard, start creating your own competitions among top players in the community, and stop holding your breath on NG. You can make the game fun for yourselves again without NG doing anything.
    We already tried that with guild and friends and it is fun 😊 but still it is not as fun as having it all around the game and compete even with people that you don't talk or having relationships :)  
    The nicest thing on this get.was competition between both players and guilds , and now it is just not there .
    Sarge_BloodyChainsaw
    On top of that - active players - just think about your environment how many people just play cause of line and friends made through this game , and they feel super bored cause he gives no joy anymore .
    They just play as a chore for their guild .
    I find it funny that the number of people actually wants to get better in the get and learn to play is like 1 out of 100
  • BenjaminTBenjaminT Member Posts: 254
    I remember reading something @Adeline wrote somewhere about an idea to organise leaderboards. Instead of everyone with the same score being given an arbitrary number (it seems random but I’m sure there’s some kind of algorithm) it would be good if ties were determined by an aggregate score from the previous year. So the names appearing at the top have been consistently max scoring for a long time. Just recently being able to complete max score wouldn’t get you close to the top of the leaderboards but if you were hitting that number consistently for a few months then maybe you’d see your name appear at the bottom. Leaderboards could possibly have two columns of numbers; his week’s score and your average score over the last 12 months.

Getting to the top would be a real slog and require a lot of consistency.

I don’t think this would resolve all the concerns raised but to my ignorant brain it sounds fairly straightforward to implement and might give a bit more gravitas to a top 20 position 
    Shezza10BloodyChainsaw
    I remember reading something @Adeline wrote somewhere about an idea to organise leaderboards. Instead of everyone with the same score being given an arbitrary number (it seems random but I’m sure there’s some kind of algorithm) it would be good if ties were determined by an aggregate score from the previous year. So the names appearing at the top have been consistently max scoring for a long time. Just recently being able to complete max score wouldn’t get you close to the top of the leaderboards but if you were hitting that number consistently for a few months then maybe you’d see your name appear at the bottom. Leaderboards could possibly have two columns of numbers; his week’s score and your average score over the last 12 months.

I don’t think this would resolve all the concerns raised but to my ignorant brain it sounds fairly straightforward to implement and might give a bit more gravitas to a top 20 position 
    The whole point is to get rid of the 1 bazillion ties 😂 it is boring 😄
    BenjaminTBloodyChainsaw
  • AdelineAdeline Member Posts: 60

😂 No, it wasn't me who suggested that. Can't remember who said that too.
    # Playing since 11 October 2015 #
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgKutvR0DOUBKYx13GWm88w
    < Co-Managing Deadly Alliance - We Strive for Perfection >
    ShadowWalker
  • euchideuchid Member Posts: 372
    200 Players having lvl 10 SMY want to find out who is the best. Only solution would be who can finish fastest.
    BloodyChainsaw
    Anjelos said:

But you wouldn’t be tied!  :D

Leaderboard position would be determined by long term accumulated scores, and you could lose it by not hitting top score one week. The leaderboard would show who was maxing out week after week, rather than a random player who maxed this week. My login is showing me in the number 1 spot this week but I’ve only maxed challenge a few times, there’s obviously loads of players ‘beneath’ me on the leaderboard who have been hitting 5358 for months consistently (with one notable exception  :D) and I think this means they should be appearing way higher than me

BloodyChainsaw
    edited August 15
    euchid said:
    200 Players having lvl 10 SMY want to find out who is the best. Only solution would be who can finish fastest.
    I finish challenge with my alt account with 1pink mercer , no reroll and no badges :') 
    It is the 1k players that actually know how to play 😂
    And heroes lvl 12 . And only one decimator special weapon :') 
    If you think you need lvl10 smy to finish challenge , then you just have no idea how to play the game :')
    Stalker20BloodyChainsawRickMSA
    Anjelos said:

But you wouldn’t be tied!  :D

Leaderboard position would be determined by long term accumulated scores, and you could lose it by not hitting top score one week. The leaderboard would show who was maxing out week after week, rather than a random player who maxed this week. My login is showing me in the number 1 spot this week but I’ve only maxed challenge a few times, there’s obviously loads of players ‘beneath’ me on the leaderboard who have been hitting 5358 for months consistently (with one notable exception  :D) and I think this means they should be appearing way higher than me

Yes ok. But the point is that game is boring .... Same things over and over noatyer the challenge ....
    Reach nightmare and just decorating star hero plus mercer or princess and yumiko .
    Boring boring boring 
    That game was a success cause it was really tactical once upon a time .....
    BloodyChainsaw
    Adeline said:

My bad! Sorry @Adeline, I thought it was you. Hopefully the bright spark will come forward and remind us of who they are  :)
    Adeline
  • AdelineAdeline Member Posts: 60
    Adeline said:

My bad! Sorry @Adeline, I thought it was you. Hopefully the bright spark will come forward and remind us of who they are  :)
    No worries 😊❤️
    # Playing since 11 October 2015 #
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgKutvR0DOUBKYx13GWm88w
    < Co-Managing Deadly Alliance - We Strive for Perfection >
  • BillbamBillbam Member Posts: 1,214
    I say take away the 80 round cap BUT starting at nightmare really up the difficulty per level to the point it becomes impossible to finish the map.
    Stalker20RiotZappaBloodyChainsaw
    Also why create a hole new game system that will come out bugged when we are still in BETA for GW, get GW up to full speed first.  To be honest not even sure what needs to be done to get it out of BETA, remember we were promised much better rewards when it is fully released.
    Stalker20RiotZappaGovernator
  • Stalker20Stalker20 Member Posts: 1,199
    I've never seen metalheads in nightmare mode, that would be a good way to make it harder, even though I hate them 🤣
    ShadowWalkerBloodyChainsaw
    Billbam said:
    I say take away the 80 round cap BUT starting at nightmare really up the difficulty per level to the point it becomes impossible to finish the map.
    Take off the cap and have spy ? It will become super rediculus lol
    BloodyChainsaw
    Anjelos said:
    Billbam said:
    Not if you make each round of nightmare harder, more walkers more unstunnables, shorter spawn times.  It will get to the point you just won't be able to advance.
    GovernatorBloodyChainsaw
    Billbam said:
    Anjelos said:
    Billbam said:
    Not if you make each round of nightmare harder, more walkers more unstunnables, shorter spawn times.  It will get to the point you just won't be able to advance.
    There is zero possibility of that with smy and coockies lol . 
    And the whole idea is to try different things than smy spy and crowd control in general
    ADPaqBloodyChainsaw
    What about just ripping off the Last Stand model completely? Have an ‘expert mode’ with selected heroes (obviously always include star hero) for the whole challenge and give a star multiplier for each round on expert mode. No idea what the multiplier would need to be but I guess high enough so that you’d need to be really good to score 5358 in expert, probably x2 would be enough.

That would maintain challenge as it is for those of us not at the level to compete in expert and you could maintain the current reward system as it is, just keep it going for higher numbers for the elite players 
    AnjelosRiotZappa
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 4,624
    Billbam said:
    Anjelos said:
    Billbam said:
    I'm still happy getting to the end of the Challenge without hitting max stars. I would imagine most other players who are not hitting max feel the same way. And the mid-level player base is not insignificant otherwise NG would have gone belly up years ago. With 23+ million downloads per their website, they have to have more than 5k active players as suggested. Just my 2 cents...
    ShadowWalkerRiotZappaBigBob
    edited August 15
    What about just ripping off the Last Stand model completely? Have an ‘expert mode’ with selected heroes (obviously always include star hero) for the whole challenge and give a star multiplier for each round on expert mode. No idea what the multiplier would need to be but I guess high enough so that you’d need to be really good to score 5358 in expert, probably x2 would be enough.

That would maintain challenge as it is for those of us not at the level to compete in expert and you could maintain the current reward system as it is, just keep it going for higher numbers for the elite players 
    A x2 multiplier would mean you wouldn’t need to use star hero to outscore the current max stars as long as you still get pretty far, so the experts playing with limited heroes could use any lineup from the select group of heroes and still exceed the current cap. But the handful of players in the game who could max challenge on expert mode (with limited heroes) could regain their positions on the leaderboard without unsettling anything for the rest of us.

I imagine it’d be quite fun each Wednesday to look at the mapset, star hero and select expert heroes, and try to figure out if you’ve got the teams and skills to outscore what you know you can do with ShPY. Play it safe and go for 5358, or go expert and see if you can climb the leaderboard?

That would actually work as well , though I think it would have less people trying for it :/:smile:
    But not a bad idea at all

To go little further , before the ultimate toons appear , most people would stop at 3-4k .now imagine not to have all the available toons as well , the stop might be at 2,5k max   😄 
    So having it as an extra after you finish the challenge , will be more tempting for more people to give it a go (and maybe spend a little more that 1day to finish challenge )