Creative Cursing 101

theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
edited March 2016 in Off Topic Discussion
We all have those moments when we feel frustrated, angry, or otherwise likely to tread into toxic behavior territory by resorting to use of objectionable words. Upon successful completion of this course, you will have gained knowledge of choosing your words to express your feelings without being offensive to others and perhaps gaining a few laughs in the process.

There are many words that might be considered objectionable in one area but part of the common language in others. When in doubt, it is best to choose an alternative word. If you require a sample of some words that are considered objectionable, I refer you to Professor Emeritus George Carlin's course, "7 Dirty Words You Can't Say On Television." This course DOES contain objectionable language!

When posting in this course, please respect your fellow classmates by using the spoiler tag to hide objectionable words. The tag used in this course will be the following using triangle brackets < > in place of parentheses: (div class="Spoiler") Objectionable translation (/div).

This is an example of house coursework will be formatted:

Of a lower temperature than a magic user's mammary in a metal restraining garment.
Colder than a witch's tit in a brass brassiere.

When one wishes to curse creatively, the primary objective is to replace the objectionable word with an acceptable alternative. Some possibilities are listed below:

Excrement, feces, bowl movement
Shit; past tense Shat

condemn; to condemn by a Higher Power
damn; goddamn

Fornicate, engage in sex, have intercourse with
f word (the filter will not allow the actual word.

Once you have chosen an acceptable alternative word, you must change a few other words in the expression to increase the laugh factor.
Examples:

Traveling against the current in a tributary of excrement in the absence of a means of propulsion.
Up Shit Creek without a paddle.

The bovine feces struck the oscillating unit.
The bullshit hit the fan.

He operated the motor vehicle like a brimstone bat.
He was driving like a bat out of hell.

The final thing to consider is that toxic behavior consists of more than simply using objectionable words. Toxic behavior includes but is not limited to insulting others based on race, creed, religion, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, or country of origin; attacking a person rather than their argument; and generally behaving like a male donkey's posterior region towards other people or group of people with the intention of starting arguments. You can creatively curse to express frustration or emotion over a specific situation, but not direct it towards a specific person or group of people.

When creative cursing is employed during the discussion of controversial topics, one must remember the 10 Commandments of Logical Debate.

You have successfully completed Creative Cursing 101. Please feel free to practice below using the approved coursework format.
rgerkmanakaalias

Comments

• PerdtinPerdtin Member Posts: 783
    Dang, I think what I had may be a tad off. I already failed :(
    edited March 2016
    My first lesson I hope that I get correct

Edit: Nope fail again
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    @Perdtin Practice makes perfect. Keep trying. You'll get there.
  • AlibabaAlibaba Member Posts: 1,275
    edited March 2016
    @thebluebox I will let @Teeceezy make the ruling on this.

A lot of these are pretty funny and witty! Just please remember this forum is considered 17+ based on the game rating, but it should be family friendly because all ages have access to this forum.
    Based on rules and generally speaking, nothing vulgar. No overtly foul language. Nothing derogatory directed at individual people that can be seen as offensive or as harassment.

Alibaba lvl49
    LINE me: princealibabwa
    Aegis Official FB Page
    Yep. That's why the offensive bits were hidden in spoilers. ;)

I did include the bit about not insulting or directing towards others at the end along with the 10 Commandments of Logical Debate. If I were to say the devs are {insert creative cursing insult}, that would ne toxic and bad. If I said the latest update is a deposit of canine feces emitting a noxious cloud of vapor, that would be within the forum parameters.
  • DeathrowsmokerDeathrowsmoker Member Posts: 19
    Tried to read what @thebluebox, said fell asleep :(
    alnodggbats
    edited March 2016

If I were to say the devs are {insert creative cursing insult}

Well that takes all the fun out of it. Is it directly at the devs about them? So for instance "the devs are cool" is not good since it is about them as compared to the "devs are playing baseball today" which would be okay since it is a description about actions?

Thank you in advance
    edited March 2016
    Spoiler: Objectionable translation

Nope
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    edited March 2016

Ditto that.
    Anybody manage a synopsis?

Btw, the word 'feck' is a legitimate word, not a swear word. Am I able to carry on using it? ;)
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    Perdtinggbats
    edited March 2016
    Neil_J said:

Ditto that.
    Anybody manage a synopsis?

Yes, use nice words to express curse phrases. In addition to being acceptable, they can be real funny. And do not direct them at people.

For example: Having relations with a canine.

I can't get the tags to work, so cannot provide the translation.
    @Neil_J I usually go with flick or fudge, but I don't see where feck would be a problem.

Feck (or fek or feic) is a form of effeck, which is in turn the Scots cognate of the modern English word effect. However, this Scots noun has additional significance: Efficacy; force; value; return. Amount; quantity (or a large amount/quantity)

However, in creative cursing, the alternative word must have meaning within the context of the remainder of the sentence. The chosen word is a synonym. In most cases when the f-bomb is used, it isn't expressing efficacy, force, or value, though it may have an effect. As a general exclamation, it might work.

Cool.
    May I direct you to a 90s British TV show, which you may or may not know, called Father Ted. A comedy about some priests living together on a remote island where they used that word all the time - in fact probably the introduction of the word into popular language.
    It was also one of the funniest things ever on TV.
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    It never aired on PBS nor BBCA. My introduction to Doctor Who,Red Dwarf, Vicar of Dibley, Waiting for God, and Are You Being Served was PBS.
    edited March 2016
    @Perdtin you seem to have trouble with the spoiler tag. You can use the one that comes with the html editor in the paragraph drop down. It just isn't as pretty.

Use [ ] square brackets around the tags.
    Spoiler
    /Spoiler

Put what you want to say between the tags. Using the square brackets [ ] in place of ( ), the fancy one codes like this:
    (Spoiler)Your objectionable translation.(/Spoiler)

Make sure to capitialize Spoiler, do not pluralize making Spoilers, and do not place spaces between the tags and the statement.

EDIT: The new spoiler tag with the square brackets stopped working. The mods have asked that we all go back to "old tag" for the foreseeable future. Please, edit your posts.

OLD CODE uses triangle < > brackets around the tags.
    div class="Spoiler"
    /div

It will look like this:
    Your objectionable translation

This is the same code available in the html editor
    rgerkman
    Try YouTube?
    I think there are some clips there.
    Also, you must use a back slash / and not a forward slash \.
    edited March 2016
    There appear to be times when the matter between my ears is not gray, but it fact brown and I use it for thought.
  • rgerkmanrgerkman Member Posts: 2,465
    [spoiler]testing 1,2,3[/spoiler]
    There Are No Such Things As Stupid Questions.!!
    There Are However.. Plenty of Stupid Answers!!

Rhonda
    edited March 2016
    Hey hey!! Thanks for that!! :smiley:

Now to learn how to do quotes & pics & I'm ready to party :lol:

Rhonda
  • DeathrowsmokerDeathrowsmoker Member Posts: 19
    I'm from scotland no one says feck its an irish thing.
    Just reposting what Wkipedia said. Some sources say it originated in Scotland. Others say Ireland.
    @rgerkman For pictures, the tag is with triangle brackets < >

(img src="http://fullimageurl" alt=""/)

the alt is where a second url would go if you had an alternate source for the pic. You still have to do it with nothing between the quotation marks for the forum server to recognize it.

Our, you can click the file tab at the top and upload a pic from your computer.

If you are accessing the forums from a mobile device, be sure to click "view desktop site" in your browser settings. The html does not work in mobile view.

If you want to quote someone, click the Quote link under their post. Delete the extra bits of text you don't need while leaving the tags untouched.
    edited March 2016
    I give up!
    @thebluebox
    I am on mobile & perhaps that's why I'm having such a hard time lol

When I try to quote.. All I get in my box is the word "null" .. I'm assuming that means I can't quote?
    Sorry.. I'm a bit confused & thanks for helping me :smile:

Rhonda
    @Neil_J You used the wrong slash. You need /

@rgerkman The mobile view does not support html. Go to your browser settings. Find the "Request desktop site" or "View full desktop". Check the box or otherwise turn it on.
    Ahhh gotcha
    Thank you

Rhonda
    edited March 2016
    @Alibaba @Teeceezy

HELP! The new spoiler tag is suddenly not working! All the objectionable stuff we hid with the tags are now visible openly! What happened? You might want to hide this thread until we sort out what is wrong.

They were functioning 2 hours and 10 minutes ago when I last posted here.
    @thebluebox Oh boy. I just took out mine above until this gets straightened out. Obviously not something we did wrong. But figured maybe make it a bit easier. And it is actually more fun when you have them hidden and press for the big reveal
    rgerkman
    edited March 2016
    attempting quote

Complete fail

I suppose I should just give up lol

Rhonda
    @rgerkman It is broken, so that is why all the less creative versions, or more traditional versions as it were, are readily visible :)