Idle disconnect

The game disconnects us for being "idle"? Of course we are "Idle". There is only so much to do, and it takes as much as an hour to get enough gas to do another mission... I come back to check my upgrades, or shoot the walkers on my wall, talk to my guild... and I have to reload the game?
Come on...

Comments

• TroubleManTroubleMan Member Posts: 423
    It might be to increase the ability of players to 'raid'. If you're online, you can't be raided. Hence, the auto-kick. Some people had been leaving their devices on to avoid being raided. (which is kinda silly, because no one is raiding due to the lack of reason to do so).
    Alibaba
  • AlibabaAlibaba Member Posts: 1,275

It might be to increase the ability of players to 'raid'. If you're online, you can't be raided. Hence, the auto-kick. Some people had been leaving their devices on to avoid being raided. (which is kinda silly, because no one is raiding due to the lack of reason to do so).

This. Also it helps solve some of the rollback issues that was happening.

Alibaba lvl49
    LINE me: princealibabwa
    Aegis Official FB Page
    rgerkman
  • GraywolfGraywolf Member Posts: 44
    I get that, but it DCed in the time it took me to take a piss!
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    6 minutes?????
    More like 2 where I am!
    Seriously!
    The reconnection notice comes up, freezes, and I have to shut down and reboot.
    (42mps fiber-optic broadband before you 'do a Gameloft' and try to blame it on my Wi-Fi..... ;) )
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
  • SmittYSmittY Member Posts: 372
    eetu said:

The idle timer is 6 minutes, you just need to get faster at shaking hands with the wife's best friend.

wow that was strong

• eetueetu Member Posts: 637
    I just tried this - I let the phone idle, and at 7m44s idle time got this:

idle.png 162.2K
  • SmittYSmittY Member Posts: 372
    That verbage must be new in the update, it used to say connection lost and thats all. Nice.

• S214S214 Member Posts: 10
    It's a pain in the rear end. I don't like it at all.
    Yeah the custom popup was added in the update.

@S214 We apologize for the inconvenience, but we've found it necessary for the proper functioning of the game.
  • GraywolfGraywolf Member Posts: 44
    My game just went "idle" while I was collecting supplies from my farms.
  • GreenBalloonGreenBalloon Member Posts: 316
    Seriously. I leave the game open on the arm of my chair while waiting for gas and (meager) supplies. I collect or play when I feel like it. The timeout is obnoxious. As for outposts, don't care because I didn't bother building one. Do they look for things to screw up?! "Hey, this works. What can we do about that and will it help sell gold?"
    MissSFX

"Hey, this works. What can we do about that and will it help sell gold?"

*headscratch* What is your theory on how we increase gold sales by introducing an idle timeout?

It is necessary for technical reasons, and 6 minutes is quite reasonable in my opinion. For example Clash of Clans has it at 5 minutes, iirc.
    rgerkmanlmfgunnut
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    eetu said:

*headscratch* What is your theory on how we increase gold sales by introducing an idle timeout?

It is necessary for technical reasons, and 6 minutes is quite reasonable in my opinion. For example Clash of Clans has it at 5 minutes, iirc.
    It all seems a bit ridiculous after considering the fact that you guys didn't need a timeout at all before! Seriously, I thought it was one of the most remarkable things about the game. Now that amazement is just replaced with sadness... :'(

I agree the workaround is effective... But it's still just a workaround and not a real solution to the underlying problem.
  • PoppyPoppy Member Posts: 1,146
    Needs to increased to 5 minutes, I can't even go for a trip to the porcylain throne for a quick whizz without been booted,
    Poppy said:

Needs to increased to 5 minutes, I can't even go for a trip to the porcylain throne for a quick whizz without been booted,

It's already 6 minutes. I'm just really curious why they need to trigger a disconnect to induce a client-server handshake and save? They never needed to do so before.
  • rgerkmanrgerkman Member Posts: 2,465
    It's better than having Rollbacks NML Friends!!!

I'd much rather have my game time out then have another Rollback epidemic!!! No!??
    There Are No Such Things As Stupid Questions.!!
    There Are However.. Plenty of Stupid Answers!!

Rhonda
    ggbatsCherokee_Rose
    @poppy .. 5 mins is enough time but 6mins is not long enough? :tongue: :wink:

Rhonda
    @rgerkman You're missing the point. They didn't need an idle timeout previously and nobody had rollbacks. This was something introduced by an update. The underlying rollback issue is STILL not fixed, as I have suffered 2-6 minute rollbacks after they implemented the timeout. Yes, 2-6 minutes isn't much... But this workaround is only masking the problem, it doesn't actually fix it.
    rgerkman
    Forgive me @zoson
    I did read in one of theses countless threads that part of the reason for implementing timeouts was to help with the Rollback issue.. Might not be 100% reason.. but even if it's a small % that helps stop it.. I'm all for it!!! :blush:

Rhonda
  • PimpOfTheDeadPimpOfTheDead Member Posts: 654
    Until yesterday for 2 to 3 days I never got that idle message & while actually playing was getting reconnecting popping up every 1 or 2 mins sometimes less then 30 secs until it eventually froze there & to reboot therefore losing all my previous progress to the point it was becoming unplayable
    @eetu I started the thread because my understanding is that you can protect yourself by being online. So that would be a bug... If that's not the case, I'm perfectly OK with that. Especially if it means you guys actually fixing the rollback issue and returning to the awesome state-saving you had previously.

But I have a feeling that this, specifically, was that I had been timeout disconnected, but it hadn't been reflected on my client side. If that really IS the case, then that means someone can potentially get rolled back by a large amount still, due to thinking they're online when they're really not.

And really, you can't fault a hardcore player for taking advantage of the mechanics as much as possible. You provided the mechanic, I'm just using it.
    After the introduction of idle timeout until 1.8 there was no separate popup for the idle timeout and it showed up a generic connection error.
    But if you got the error while in combat, it must have been a separate issue and not an idle timeout. We know there are other issues as well.
  • PoppyPoppy Member Posts: 1,146
    Isn't 6 minutes on mine, it usually between 2 & 3 for a kick, unless it's changed with 1.8 as I Havant played much since the update
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873

Until yesterday I never got that idle message while actually playing was getting reconnecting popping up every 1 or 2 mins sometimes less then 30 secs until it eventually froze there & to reboot therefore losing all my previous progress to the point it was becoming unplayable

This ↑↑↑ :(
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    zoson said:

And really, you can't fault a hardcore player for taking advantage of the mechanics as much as possible. You provided the mechanic, I'm just using it.

Sure, it's all good. But, for someone with your understanding, it's not really 100% kosher to be asking for both ;)
    ggbatslmfgunnut
    eetu said:

zoson said:

Sure, it's all good. But, for someone with your understanding, it's not really 100% kosher to be asking for both ;)
    @eetu Just for perfect clarity sake, the ideal situation in my mind would be no timeout and anyone can be attacked at any time.

I submitted the thread about being attacked while online because based on my understanding of the mechanics right now, it should not have been possible. I think the implication is that my client either did not receive or did not acknowledge that it had been disconnected. Since the rollback issue is actually not fixed, just masked, a 'silent' disconnection should be a big concern for you. It once again opens the door for larger rollbacks. I was reporting a bug, not trying to be obnoxious.

I do want the zoom factor at camp to be returned to where it was though. I'm actually rather annoyed at being relegated to a shoebox sized view of my camp and having to pan around to do anything. I get that you guys did it so you didn't have to relocate or change the walker pit... But it also didn't solve that problem as the icons can still appear cut off. In fact, the icon that is still ALWAYS cut off is the only one that actually provides meaningful information - the icon that shows the gold required to rush an upgrade.
  • GreenBalloonGreenBalloon Member Posts: 316
    eetu said:

This isn't Clash of Clans, first off. It was not launched as PvP so that point is irrelevant. If you can't make your add-on game work without disrupting the rest of the original game, that's on the dev team. The players don't want or need to take your hits for you.

My quote was based on the game as a whole, which so far, NG has proved my point. What did work, doesn't. What was promised to work, doesn't. What was asked for was ignored. Yet the continued promotion of bundles with the implied bonus of decent survivors goes on, all the while the majority of radios are wasted on scrap and sold for a pittance of XP that the players asked to be fairly adjusted so that they could afford to upgrade any supposed survivor/weapon pulls that they didn't scrap. So yeah, I stand by my quote. NG has nerfed the players and now wants a pat on the back. No.
  • theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    6 minutes? Hogwash. Just today it's reloaded a few times only after 2-3 minutes.
    Back from 2016 :p