You are cordially invited to Jester's BBQ.

Comments

• masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,512
    I two star'd level 19 with silver interrupt on one weapon. But I got a lvl 20 rifle. It's rare but it's my first. Woohoo!
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    jester said:

Now I like this guy. ; )

Correction. Now you like this chic.
    @SmittY I am going to rule that a boiler maker.
    Blue Box is not an adult reference. Based on my sig pic, one can see two of my fandoms, TWD and Doctor Who. The Doctor refers to the TARDIS as a Blue Box in many episodes. He also refers to the TARDIS as female, and this is personified in an episode titled "The Doctor's Wife". So, Whovians know the TARDIS is a feminine object. Non-Whovians might get it wrong, but now you know.
    tembel
  • jesterjester Member Posts: 2,741
    I got it dude. ;)
    antSlickRickLadyAquila
  • Vintage_BullVintage_Bull Member Posts: 214
    @jester finally someone you don't know ;)

I read about @thebluebox being a female in a thread a while back.

@thebluebox, in all seriousness, about how many times would you say a forum member has assumed you are male?
    About 8 times. And all by me.
    @Vintage_Bull I haven't kept track. More often than they assume female. That said, there are two issues in play there. First off, when gender is not known, the use of masculine pronouns is the proper form for writing. Secondly, there is still a social expectation that the majority of gamers are male, so assume male until told otherwise.

For me, it isn't so much the assumption of male as the use of the word "dude". It is used far too often. In some cultures, it is considered an insult due to it's origins (and fewer people would use it if they understood those origins). You see, the word "dude" gained common use during the lat 1800s in the "Old West". It was the term for a condition cowboys were prone to develop. A pimple or cyst would form near the anus due to an ingrown anal hair. This was caused by chafing due to spending 10 or more hours a day in a saddle. The dude was the pimple that formed. Thus, in some parts of the world where English is a secondary language, calling someone a dude is intended as an insult though it became a common term of familiarity in the US during the 1980s and is primarily used as such now.
    This dude.
    masmith93SlickRick
    History major. Filled my brain with a lot of trivia.
  • lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    That is not at all where the word dude originates. It is a variation of an oft repeated but never true slandering of the word.

I am only a systems engineer with an interest in etymology, but here is some information from more reliable sources.

For some time now, we have known the basic outline of the story of "dude." The word was first used in the late 1800s as a term of mockery for young men who were overly concerned with keeping up with the latest fashions. It later came to stand for clueless city folk (who go to dude ranches) before it morphed into our all-purpose laid-back label for a guy. What we didn't know was why the word dude was chosen in the first place.

Now, we finally have the answer. Allan Metcalf (who wrote the book on "OK") reports in The Chronicle of Higher Education that a massive, decade-long "dude" research project has finally yielded convincing results.

The project belongs to Barry Popik and Gerald Cohen, described by Metcalf as "Googlers before there was Google." Along with the help of other colleagues, they have been combing through 19th century periodicals for years, slowly amassing the world's biggest collection of dude citations. The latest issue of Cohen's journal, Comments on Etymology, lays out, in 129 pages, the most solidly supported account yet of the early days of dude.

So where does dude come from? Evidence points to "doodle," as in "Yankee Doodle Dandy." He's the fellow who, as the song has it, "stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni." "Macaroni" became a term for a dandy in the 18th century after young British men returned from their adventures on the European continent sporting exaggerated high-fashion clothes and mannerisms (along with a taste for an exotic Italian dish called "macaroni"). The best a rough, uncultured colonist could do if he wanted to imitate them was stick a feather in his cap.

"For some reason," Metcalf says, "early in 1883, this inspired someone to call foppish young men of New York City 'doods,' with the alternate spelling 'dudes' soon becoming the norm." Some of the early mocking descriptions of these dudes seem awfully familiar today: "A weak mustache, a cigarette, a thirteen button vest/A curled rim hat — a minaret — two watch chains cross the breast." Yep, sounds like a hipster. But that word has gotten so stale. We should all go back to "dood," or maybe even "doodle."
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

Who drank all the rum?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,344
    @thebluebox

I like the drinking game! So what were we suppose to do every time someone asked "Who's Negan?" or Claimed to be Negan last season? (Okay more like mentions Negan!) Take a swig straight from the bottle of something that can only be obtained from a liquor store? If that's the case I'm getting this ready:

masmith93
    Today of all days you didn't have a BBQ?
    Borutogabriel_lwhTheLostOneslmfgunnut
  • BorutoBoruto Member Posts: 1,118
    Shame on me. Instead of BBQ on 4th of July, I had Chinese. But, I'll join your BBQ this week. See you there.
    SlickRickTheLostOnes
  • TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,030
    Reverse BBQ for me
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
    Boruto
    @TheLostOnes What are you waiting for ?
    TheLostOnesSlickRick
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    Slacker
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    TheLostOnes
  • BorutoBoruto Member Posts: 1,118
    @LostOnes

Is it safe to assume that you're a vegetarian? ;)
    TheLostOnes
    We need beer!
    TheLostOnesBoruto
  • Conan1976Conan1976 Member Posts: 758
    Ill bring Heineken :-)
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be!
    We bring the fun back! Game Tips and Videos! Common interest non-game related chats too!
    Everyone is Welcome!

Grimes Den & Dixons Den: competitive / different play styles
    Shivas Den: semi-competitive / relaxed Maggies Den: training and growth

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected]
    Boruto
    Completing this one on bbq was fun. Two sheep dogs who can dodge bring in the fatties to an assault who's positioned in the right angle.
    I'm lost.

jester
    We're going to need a keg. And lots of chips.
    TheLostOnes
    Level 23 - 1 star

And they double dipped the seven layer dip. Bastards!
    TheLostOnes
  • Yummy Tummy
    jesterantTheLostOnes
    That's for taking the last "good" beer and leaving me alone with handsy Aunt May.
    TheLostOnes
    I got lucky with the dodge and got two stars on lvl 24. Most fun I've had with this game for a while.
    I'm lost.

And now 3 stars on level 24. Love this map.
    I'm lost.

• NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    This is one of those frustrating missions I cannot seem to farm. Could not even beat level.23. Same thing on Manor House for me. Very sad indeed. Congrats to everyone having success.