What's the best strategy, when you're new to this game

DianeDiane Member Posts: 46
I've been playing for awhile. What I want to know... What would you do different, if it was your 1st time, playing this game??
b4blondie

Comments

• AoratosArxiAoratosArxi Member Posts: 67
    dont spend any gold..
    b4blondiemarkjaquacltrlt
  • AoratosArxiAoratosArxi Member Posts: 67
    not until your players are at 13-14 lvl
    b4blondie
  • DianeDiane Member Posts: 46
    Ok. That's not a strategy. At least not in my book. A level 5, just starting out. I don't want players in the single digits to get discouraged. I didn't have this help when I started out.
    b4blondie
  • NopwNopw Member Posts: 15
    Strategy? Just be very careful during the missions, especially Deadly ones. An injured survivor can put a halt on your gaming session, or even permanently kill them.

Whenever you upgrade your Farms, you should always upgrade the Storage soon after. It would suck to have a big pile of Supplies and not have any means of saving them.

Do Challenges to get Trade Goods. 12 Stars gets you 1000 TG, 30 Stars gets you 1000 more TG, 60 Stars, and so on. You can spend Trade Goods on cheap (ish) reward crates in the hope of getting cool gear, or you can spend more amounts of it on gear with guaranteed rarity levels. Other than that, TG is only really used for upgrading your Walker Pit, which is where you can train walkers to defend your Outpost. And if you play Outpost, you definitely will want those walkers upgraded. I have a level 3 outpost, but have 10 lvl 11 walkers, 2 lvl 9 armored, and 1 lvl 10 fatty guarding it. I might not kill any people trying to raid, but at least I will get them damaged a fair bit.

Speaking of Outpost, placing Bruisers to defend there is a good idea. I usually leave two Bruisers there along with a Hunter or a Shooter to mop up the raider bastards. I usually do this because I found it to be the most effective defense, because I like to raid a lot and nearly every other combination gets shredded by my Survivors.

Other than that, try to look up what every Weekend Event is going to be. For example, I noted yesterday that the event is going to be 2x Supply production and reward. So I immediately upgraded my three Storage sites to the maximum level I could.

Don't worry, I was in your boat about a month ago. Now I'm player level 29, Council 11, most survivors at 11, and the leader of a guild. Life is good, man :smiley:
    b4blondiemarkjaqua
  • JunkmasterJunkmaster Member Posts: 35
    If you are a free player, I would focus on doing the Episodes to unlock higher supply/exploration missions.

Don't worry about workshop, just go for Council > Training Grounds (upgrade characters) > Episodes to unlock higher supply missions > Repeat.

If you can't upgrade Council because you are Player Level locked then upgrade farms and storage.

If you can't do the episodes because of Survivor level then go back to farming supplies and upgrading Council > Training Grounds.

Just upgrade Survivors needed to complete episodes or farm supplies, don't waste xp on upgrading gear because if you do Council > Training Grounds your characters will start to get higher level weapons anyways.

Farm the exit for bonus xp while you are waiting for gas to come back.

Save your radios until you can upgrade your Radio Tent and they have the survivor weekend.

Redo the lower level episodes at Hard and Nightmare when the normal gets too hard especially the ones that give you free survivors.
    jm
    b4blondieJenng
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    Great advice from the group above @Diane. Making regular visits to this forum will prove invaluable since there is a ton of knowledge here. My advice would be take your time and enjoy the ride. Don't get too consumed with getting your hands on the best survivors or gear right away. It will come along if you just keep playing. You might want to try and join a Guild. That's gives you 19 new friends to help you right away and earns you some additional valuable trade goods as well.

Early on at the lower levels, scouts and bruiser are your best friends. As you move up to the mid-levels they become less important. At the higher levels they become close to useless. Don't invest too much hard earned XP in those two classes. Look for hunters, shooters and warriors to collect and upgrade. These are generally considered the most valuable long term and effective classes of survivors. Assaults fall in the middle.

Learn what survivor traits are the best. Dodge and luck are very helpful traits. Same goes for weapons and armour. Learn those traits to look for. A rare pistol with great traits is better than an Epic pistol with poor traits. Don't underestimate the importance of good armour too.

Lastly, don't buy the bundles that include "full supplies" until you are further along in the game and have upgraded your supply tents. Those can only be purchased once. Also on the gear bundles "like Rick's Revolver" being offered again this weekend the pistol will be deliverd to match your highest level shooter. Why get it now if you top shooter is a level 9 when you can wait until he is a level 16, 17 or 18?

Most of all just have fun. This is a great game even with all its flaws which you will discover as you go along (can you say CRASH?). I hope this helps.
    b4blondieJenng
  • lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    Don't bother upgrading weapons or armor until you are stalled on survivor advancement...XP is the only limited resource in the game. There is not enough. Don't waste it on something you are going to toss out as soon as your supplies let you upgrade.

Also, don't upgrade crappy weapons and armor. Whatever you do upgrade, convince yourself to be happy with it, even in the face of that lucky find that is a little better.

Once you are 18...upgrading things for small gains is fine. You can pass down the old weapons and armor to others in your lineup.

Try to get three decent survivors from each class to maximize challenge bonus quests.

Don't waste radios searching legendary survivors when your in the middle levels. You will want those 15 radio calls back when you are starving for improvement when maxed out.

Level your camp evenly, racing for survivor level only and neglecting other aspects of your camp will result in too low reward levels from chests. They are based on Player level which is based on improving your entire camp.

Level your walkers early...500 TG reward for level 20 player is not worth 500 TG...wasting TG on Walker upgrades for a level 52 player is a poor use of TG since the 500 TG rewards are maximized by that point.
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

b4blondieJenng
    Oh...don't use gold until you are well advanced. Don't use it to open chests until you are getting lvl 18 gear. Should only use it for survivor slots unless you are planning on buying it frequently.

Don't buy bundles until they are giving you millions of supplies. This will also maximize the level of weapon you get with the bundle...who here would rather buy that first round of bundles now as opposed to when they did?

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

Don't fear deadly missions. They aren't dangerous unless you make them dangerous by being sloppy or greedy.

NCDawgFanb4blondieJenng
  • theblueboxthebluebox Member Posts: 807
    Level your buildings in sequence. A lot of people rush to upgrade their council houses and training grounds while neglecting other buildings. Since crates from spending TG are based on your camp level, a lot of people reach higher levels and complain that they are getting equipment that is too low for their characters. Then, you find out that they have level 18 character with a camp score of 35. They rushed their councils and training grounds, so they have low camp scores and get lower leveled equipment.

On the flip side, my camp score is 39. 12/15 survivors are currently level 14. I am pulling level 15-16 equipment that I have to grow into. Leveling in sequence is the best option.
  • b4blondieb4blondie Member Posts: 1
    Awesome advice! Thanks all!
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    If you're not sure that you want to raid, don't setup your outpost. You should definitely create the outpost and upgrade it, but don't design the layout or stock it with walkers, etc. This way you can collect trade goods, store them and not worry about getting them taken. Obviously, if you'd like to try the pvp aspect, then do so. You can also decide to set it up and raid at any later date. Why not collect thousands of trade goods to spend on legendary items, or a steady diet of golden crates, before even starting to raid.
    Jenng[Deleted User]
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    I'm with @DoTak. If I could turn back time (sorry any Cher fans out there), I would have never set mine up. I never raid and coukd care less about my influence level.
    JenngMystique
  • JenngJenng Member Posts: 3,212
    If I just started i would upgrade in order council, training, radio tent, equipment, then storage and supplies and xp. Last mission car and hospital. I don't mess with the outpost so that's low priority to me. Also save up radios until the tent is upgraded as far as you can. I'm a lvl 35 with lvl 15 survivors........ 4 legendary, the rest epic. God luck!
    RagingPinoy
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    Dont rush anything..

SpringChicken
  • DonCoquiDonCoqui Member Posts: 576
    Diane said:

I've been playing for awhile. What I want to know... What would you do different, if it was your 1st time, playing this game??

Leave before you sink any money that would be best spent elsewhere.
    Staying plugged in w/ the forum for a good dose of daily entertainment .
    "You wanna impress me? You take the wheel for a little while mofo." --Eddie Murphy, Delirious
  • DonCoquiDonCoqui Member Posts: 576
    DoTak said:

If you're not sure that you want to raid, don't setup your outpost. You should definitely create the outpost and upgrade it, but don't design the layout or stock it with walkers, etc. This way you can collect trade goods, store them and not worry about getting them taken. Obviously, if you'd like to try the pvp aspect, then do so. You can also decide to set it up and raid at any later date. Why not collect thousands of trade goods to spend on legendary items, or a steady diet of golden crates, before even starting to raid.

If you don't setup an Outpost, where would you cash in the TGs earned in challenges? In my opinion, playing for lousy crates alone would be far worse.

Staying plugged in w/ the forum for a good dose of daily entertainment .
    "You wanna impress me? You take the wheel for a little while mofo." --Eddie Murphy, Delirious
  • HerbergeHerberge Member Posts: 208
    Every stars count.
  • GonkistanGonkistan Member Posts: 166
    1. Learn how to use the (poorly named in English at least) "Charge" ability (which I initially thought activated automatically if you used all your movement points instead of taking 1 step then hitting the z's).
    2. Guilds. Be in one. Be in one with a target about the same as what you are comfortable getting.
    3. Read the wiki. Then do it again. And again if you get stuck on a level.
    4. Do the story missions, until you get stuck, then do the challenge missions.
    limeyjohn
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    Visit leaderboard list before closing the game.. do this to be sure that the game properly synced.

• NemesiNemesi Member Posts: 17
    I am not the OP but want to thank all of you who responded. As a newer player, this is invaluable advice. I only wish I had found it on a Google search earlier.
  • markjaquamarkjaqua Member Posts: 7
    Don't try to farm deadly missions for xp, dumb mistake cost me my 2 best hunters this morning, which i had invested lots upgrading.
  • NecroboogieNecroboogie Member Posts: 1,108
    Started an alt a couple weeks ago to make vids of early missions. Here you go from the start.
  • DCBMETDCBMET Member Posts: 392
    Don't get impatient and spend your gold. It comes easy at first and becomes scarce later. If you really want to blow gold, do it on survivor slots. Those are forever. Eventually you will want at least 3 slots for each class and you essentially get your first 6 free.

Also your fresh survivor package is a great buy later in the game! 3 bux for a slot, 500g (another slot essentially) and full supplies. Use it to push for a council upgrade to unlock your 5th farm! This rockets your progression from roughly level 30 to 40 in a few weeks if you are keeping everything fairly even and you play actively.
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    edited May 2016
    Don't complete any Episodes after you unlock the Assault class. Keep upgrading your camp/survivors and playing exploratory missions for cheaper gas.
  • aaron1aaron1 Member Posts: 25
    @lmfgunnut I agree with him and a bunch of others that have contribute. I'm just extending more or less.

Keep in mind that the outpost and the TG system is relatively new and can still evolve over time.

Buying survivor slots leads to incrementally higher prices for additional slots so do NOT build an outpost or walker pit if you can avoid it until you have invested upwards of 500 gold or more for survivor slots. From what I understand, you get three survivor slots when you build one of them (not sure which one, but my money is on the outpost). Getting those free slots too early I believe might be a waste if the cost for slots increases as a result.

Also, many folks have mentioned to NOT grind exp unless it's necessary for story progression which I completely agree since rewards for exploratory areas increases as you progress through the episodes. So grinding before hitting episode 13(the hardest normal area so far) means missing out on resources you would have accrued otherwise.

Also, not focusing on increasing your personal level means that you will have less than optimal maximum level cap for characters and items. This means you will essentially spend hard earned exp on characters and items you will replace REALLY soon.