Noob help with choosing between epic or rare characters

Greetings! So I'm a bit confused. I have two bruisers and was trying to decide which one to use primarily for missions. I had been using Billy who is a bruiser rare 3-star level 8 of 12. Today though, I picked up Laura, who is a bruiser epic 4-star and now level 8 of 13. So the confusion is with the hit points. If I have Billy and Laura try on the same piece of clothing ( a 1-star 30) Billy shows a base of 272 and health of 377. Laura has a base of 295 and health of 325. If a blue epic is better than a green rare, why does Billy have 52 extra hp? Epic is better isn't it?

Comments

• PoppyPoppy Member Posts: 1,146
    Probably the character traits what does each have active.
  • NemesiNemesi Member Posts: 17
    That is initially what I thought also but Billy has no traits unlocked yet. Laura has only iron skin unlocked but again I'm still trying to figure out why he only has more health.
  • PimpOfTheDeadPimpOfTheDead Member Posts: 654
    edited May 2016
    @nemesi 1st by clicking on the survivors name u can change it lol, but the reason for this billy is lvl 8 of 12, & his cap lvl at 12 gives a smaller ratio between his starting & cap lvl, so he may have higher starting health now, but in the end won't.
    Laura has a wider start to cap ratio of 8/13 so once she hits lvl 13, she will have more health in the long run
    DLichOndred
    @Nemesi generally u would want to choose the survivors u keep by their traits & by the highest lvl number they cap out at, so u won't have to replace them so soon.
    But generally u would rather keep epic or legendary survivors over rare 1s, but keep in mind even if not upgraded u should keep 3 of each survivor type in order to unlock the bonus quests for challenges
    YaxirOndred
  • NemesiNemesi Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info. Question. You mentioned that I should select survivors based on their traits. Are there particular traits that are more important than others?
  • OvidmikelOvidmikel Member Posts: 965
    @Nemesi Dodge luck the 2 most coveted on bruiser I think retaliate is good
    Ondred
  • lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    Dodge, luck, retaliate, wrestler, marksman, strong top my list in that order
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

@Nemesi what they said above as far as traits for survivors, at 1st don't get to picky there until u have all legendary & epic survivors & can afford to be lol. But all armor traits dodge is a must, using a warrior weapon arc is a must & with assault type wide spread is a must. Rest of survivor types use your own preference but with shooters extra grid range is a good trait, & hunters good traits are interupt,luck,critical damage & some people like wide bore.
    With that said like I said, use your own judgement on weaponry depending on your game play style,
    But always scrap common & uncommon gear & try not to use too much rare gear, unless u don't have a choice but replace it when possible, always do upgrades for your 3 main survivors u use 1st, before upgrading your benchwarmers, but it's always a good thing to try & make your roster of survivors as versatile as possible for the different maps & challenges, so after your main 3 are done for the time being, then try to upgrade gear & make at least 1 of each survivor type as strong as possible, starting with the ones you use the most to least used, & as you're constantly farming & getting new gear, when u have the chance always keep going back to your top 3 to see what improvements can be made to them
  • Tam8Tam8 Member Posts: 65
    lmfgunnut said:

Dodge, luck, retaliate, wrestler, marksman, strong top my list in that order

I don't get the Wrestler, tbh.
    Just a weapon skill and why should I want to wrestle? Is this an endgame strategy vs Walkers?
  • NecroboogieNecroboogie Member Posts: 1,108
    Lol definitely not. Wrestling is not a trait I want- if your in a struggle you've already lost 2 stars. I prefer iron skin and health over wrestling trait.
  • YaxirYaxir Member Posts: 38

but keep in mind even if not upgraded u should keep 3 of each survivor type in order to unlock the bonus quests for challenges

@PimpOfTheDead , can you elaborate more on this point ? im also new to the game and i didn't quite get wat you said about bonus quests...

@Yaxir to answer the question your achievements/quests are on the left side of your screen by hitting the trophy symbol.( sent ss with post even though I currently have none available).
    Every 24hrs a new quest will become available on this screen, example of some of the quests u should see:
    - use ranged weapon team
    - use melee weapons team
    - use all scouts
    - use all bruisers
    -use all shooters
    - use all hunters
    - use all warriors
    - use all assault
    - take no damage
    -kill 5 walkers in 1 attack (must b exactly 5)
    - complete challenge missions
    - complete exploration missions
    - & many more etc lol
    these quests have in the reward box beside them when looking at your quests, the reward of a gold or silver ticket, but some (not all) also have a star in those reward boxes.
    The quests with the star in the reward boxes are meant to be completed on the challenge missions, by doing so you will get 1 bonus star added to your total star count on your challenge, but won't raise the difficulty of that challenge level because of that star.
    Most of the quests that give u bonus stars can be completed 3 times for 3 extra stars for that quest, but some are only 2 stars so double check before completing the task on how many times you need to complete it for your stars because of the next following pro tip.
    Pro-tip: every 24hrs u can trash 1 quest for another 1 if it's a quest u don't like? Or 1 that may not give u stars?.
    If u receive a quest that gives u 3 stars for completing it 3 times, only complete it twice then hit the trash button for a new one, as it is a gamble & the game might give you a brand new quest in its place for a fresh 3 stars. By doing this u have a chance at getting a possible 5 bonus stars instead of just the 3 stars as by using your trash button u don't have to wait that 24hrs for a new 1.
    WARNING, by doing the above tip, the game could also generate your new quest with 1 that doesn't give you any stars, so you would be stuck with only the 2 bonus stars u got, but it's worth the 1 star risk.
    If u don't have many quests banked up & choose to play strategically for the hope of more stars & rewards next time, u could always try & save them for the following challenge & scrap the 1s that don't give stars along the way & use them on the following weeks challenge as long as you don't complete them by accident.
    Which brings us to the answer to your question on why u want 3 of each survivor type?
    As I listed above, the game generates quests for using 3 scouts, 3 warriors,3 shooters etc....
    If u don't have 3 of a specific type of survivor, the game won't generate that quest unless you do, therefore minimizing the amount of quests you can possibly get & generating more of the quest types that don't give you the more valued bonus stars.
    Even if for example, you don't use scouts ever, if u have 3 scouts at their minimum level with only the stock gear that was provided with them, it's still very easy to complete a lot of the lower level challenge missions flawlessly for 3 stars & if having the use all scout quest u will get 1 bonus star for a total of 4 on that mission.
    If completed 3 times that's a total of 12 stars when normally u would have got 9. If u get lucky using the pro-tip above & get another use 3 quest, that's a possible 14 stars.
    I refuse to type this out again lmfao, so I hope this all makes sense & gives you more of an edge & helps towards the progression of your camp & game, & this is why having at least 3 of each type at a minimum is very important even if you don't use them often or ever.
    Concentrate on upgrading your main 3 survivors 1st & always, then if u have time & patience, maybe try to fully upgrade at least 1 of each type after as that will also open up doors & make progression even easier for you. If u don't use scouts or bruisers ever, don't upgrade 2 bruisers just because, do 1 of each.
    OndredYaxir
    Holy crap I probably have a full tank of gas after typing that lol.
    Ng I deserve 2 legendary hunters in this event for that kinda help lol
    OvidmikelOndredgabriel_lwhYaxir
  • OvidmikelOvidmikel Member Posts: 965
    @PimpOfTheDead with in-depth and correct information you def deserve at least 2 leg hunters and a badge for EXPERIENCED VETERAN STRATGEST EXPLAINER TEACHER CREATORIST LOL
    Ondred
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    @PimpOfTheDead that explanation was epic.... no it was Legendary!
  • YaxirYaxir Member Posts: 38
    @PimpOfTheDead , wow ... that was some explanation. thanks alot bro !

also , you'll make a great teacher :D
    you prolly deserve a set of legendary survivors and a full set of legendary equipment for this !
    Ovidmikel
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    Nemesi said:

Greetings! So I'm a bit confused. I have two bruisers and was trying to decide which one to use primarily for missions. I had been using Billy who is a bruiser rare 3-star level 8 of 12. Today though, I picked up Laura, who is a bruiser epic 4-star and now level 8 of 13. So the confusion is with the hit points. If I have Billy and Laura try on the same piece of clothing ( a 1-star 30) Billy shows a base of 272 and health of 377. Laura has a base of 295 and health of 325. If a blue epic is better than a green rare, why does Billy have 52 extra hp? Epic is better isn't it?

@Nemesi Apologies if I'm over simplifying this, but your survivors' adjusted health is their base health (as you've shown) + the armor defense value + possible armor trait Health Boost if applicable. So Billy's armor must be defense 105 (or some combo of defense value + health boost trait) while Laura's armor is only 30.

There is a glitch with the armor health boost trait, however. Sometimes you might notice that your survivor's adjusted health doesn't add up properly. It's because the game can't make adjustments right away for the health boost trait if you swap armor around. Sometimes it won't add the health boost, sometimes it shows you getting the benefit even though your equipped armor doesn't have it. But it's not important because even if it displays wrong, the game knows what the correct health score is AND will make the correction to the displayed value after you've taken that survivor out for a mission.
    @Yaxir lol even though I'm on a different team, a female friend of mine started playing & has so far done a good job of starting her own guild & building it, so I coach them & answer all questions on line app
    Yaxir
    Also used to coach many other new players at other games with tips & tricks where I basically wrote them a strategy guide lol
    OvidmikelYaxir