Why this thread is "closed"?

2»

Comments

• TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,030
    @Dale said: That phrase is a metaphor, isn't it? or do groups of people really do that? If so, why?

Yes, people do that all the time, and even on this very forum.

It's like a rite of passage. When you want to become a high level player, you have to show screen shots of your legendary survivors or top equipment in one of the numerous threads. Almost all of us do it, to various degrees.

While it's totally accepted -- both by other forum users and by the mods -- the term describing the practice, circle jerking, is oddly enough frowned upon at times. So it's better to use some other term if you can think of one.
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,222
    I'm a bit confused... @Dale @TheLostOnes @masmith93 @tammy
    ...is that what are you talking about??

"Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    [Deleted User]TheLostOnesmasmith93ZsGetOffMeeee_tammy
    Depends, @capibara , what are they doing with their back paws?
    I'm lost.

[Deleted User]masmith93capibara
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122

While it's totally accepted -- both by other forum users and by the mods -- the term describing the practice, circle jerking, is oddly enough frowned upon at times. So it's better to use some other term if you can think of one.

I have no problem with the term itself or it's metaphorical use here or most other places.

My question is about the original meaning of the term which involves actual guys standing or sitting in an actual circle and actually, um, enjoying themselves.

I've been told this is a common activity among teenage boys. I never was one of those so I wasn't invited to participate. My question is: is this an urban myth or do guys actually do this?

TheLostOnes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    @Dale. I heard a first hand account years ago, told to me by one of the participants. A group of 3-6 adolescent boys would go to the matinee at their small town movie theater every Saturday. As soon as the lights went down, the race was on. The first to complete the task won bragging rights for the week. They weren't in a circle, but I think it counts in principle. All I can say, then as now, is eew.
    @Dale I don't know about that, have never gone down that road but maybe it's a generational thing. Do you have any adolescent boys in your family, like sons (grandsons?) who may be able to answer?
    I'm lost.

• I've never felt the desire to call my buddies up and say "hey, I'm doing this thing, wanna join in"
    JenngSlickRick