Survivor progression changes: Official discussion thread

Comments

• fistonltdfistonltd Member Posts: 149
    First bug! Nothing happens when finishing episode 14.6?!
    Do i really got to flee to close this game?
  • MrsScattercushionMrsScattercushion Member Posts: 120
    bumshoe said:

What do the numbers mean? 5,4,3 in the traits
    What does the green highlight mean?
    The fact the traits show up means they are unlocked and active? They no longer get greed out and inactive like previous?
    Can traits be modified or are they part of the character for life?
    What is the small green chevrons next to the icons?

My understanding....

Instead of bronze, silver, gold the traits now are numbered 1-5.
    The green highlight shows when a survivor has maxed that particular trait ~ so epics max out at 4, legs 5, rares at 3 etc.
    Yes all traits are unlocked, rather than at certain levels.
    As far as I know, traits are locked in with the character and cannot be changed.
    The chevrons indicate the trait that can be upgraded. The bottom trait (or newest) is the first to be upgraded, then the next one etc, working up to the oldest one. So, in that case, Defensive Stance first, then when you've done that, it will be lucky etc. When all of the traits are maxed at 4, then you have option to proote to legendary (cannot remember if this costs extra tokens too)
    MizTy
  • GreyWolf_IAGreyWolf_IA Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2016
    OK, more I look at the new progression system the more potential I think it has long-term, just going to take some adjustment.

One major critique though - this system is doomed if the only way to get tokens is radio calls then retiring the survivor that answers. Radios don't drop nearly enough especially since typical results for me would be out of every 30 calls (450 radios - takes me 3-4 months to get that many) it's 1 or 2 legendary, 3-5 epic, and the rest are rares. So far with the new radio system I'm not really seeing any change to those ratios. Even assuming they happen to be the right classes for what I need, that still means a LOT of radios to get those tokens.

Please tell me the naysayers aren't right (again), that this isn't just a blatant cash grab, get people to buy phones? Are there plans for other means to earn tokens? I understand you want to encourage a long-term player base but setting the system to require 5 years to level everything is how you run players OFF, not get them to stay ...
    fistonltdautumn_ashInvader
    @GreyWolf_IA
    Glad u finally get the picture;)
    And indeed. Was a big fan of this game. But these changes are just too much! ill have to spend alot of phones just to be back at the level i was.
    All the investments and progress just wiped away?!! This is just the biggest bs you can imagine..
    The idea of no max level is good but the phonespending is just too big!
    Hope lots of poeple will stop playing this game, otherwise they just keep on fucking us over and over again!
    My anus was almost healed, but after this update its bleeding very hard again..
  • RustyOrcRustyOrc Member Posts: 51
    They need to build a "Phone Store" challenge mission so we can go steal some phones.
    LadyAquilaautumn_ash
    I agree with an earlier post that we need better lookin survivors. Most of mine are so heinous I hide them behind masks.
    autumn_ash
    edited June 2016
    @RustyOrc
    Looks! Really? Is that your main concern? We just got ripped off in power and health, and you want barbie and ken looking survivors?

Mod edit zbot 6/28/16 12:25 pm

@fistonltd , I think we are all adults and can express ourselves without the use of profanity. zbot
    ScratchNSmithInvader
    @stuffnthangs
    Original post was exactly what i was thinking! Repost please!
  • HercamurnkyHercamurnky Member Posts: 43
    So, I just used the new survivor call system, and got a legendary warrior level 9 and retired an epic warrior level 15 that I wasn't terribly excited about. Mainly because I didn't have any legendary warriors. Was this a mistake? Or will a legendary rise through the ranks quicker or cheaper than an epic would? I guess my question is whether or not to accept legendary characters if and when I manage to pull one...
    Just as a point of clarification, l want to know if, in the long run, it's more cost effective to level up an epic to a legendary, or just start from scratch with a newly acquired legendary?
  • theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    @Hercamurnky Legendary is the best you can get. There's no higher, so good job. So now you use the tokens from the Epic to upgrade your Legendary survivor's traits.
    Back from 2016 :p
    @theRealBender Yes that's what I did, but I wonder ultimately which route is more cost effective for future choices. Thanks for responding so quickly btw!
    I understand the new progression is messed up. It would take me several month to max out just 1 survivor. If we will be stuck with the survivors for a long time, I rather look at ones that are pleasant. Maybe not Ken and Barbie, but certainly not bunch of shrivel up old hags. I mean I feel nauseated every time I look at them.

Right now I have no motivation to upgrade the survivors traits, the cost and reward is way off balance.
    fistonltd
    @theRealBender I mean, eventually, either way I'll have a legendary character, but all things said and done, which will be more costly to get there?
    edited June 2016
    @Hercamurnky I guess I don't understand. If it's already a Legendary there is no other route that is better. It's already Legendary! Now all you gotta do is level it up and upgrade the traits.

Edit: I just read up & now I see your clarification comment hehe. But yeah from the info being reported you will see that it is far easier to get the XP to level that sucker than upgrade and promote an Epic. If it wasn't then we wouldn't need to get lucky with better rarities on radio calls and it would be too easy to acquire Legendary survivors.
    @theRealBender Sorry, I meant, like, to max each one out... See, the epic was a level 15 (as are the rest of my survivors excluding the one I just received) and the legendary was level 9. Now, by the time I level each of them up to a maxed out legendary, which of the two ( considering their starting points) will cost more to get to that point. Ps. Slow typer, so please bear with me...
    I edited my comment right above yours I'm even slower LOL
    @theRealBender Just read your edit, was typing while you added it. Thanks! That pretty much tells me what I wanted to know. Feeling better about my decision now!
  • Sipher07Sipher07 Member Posts: 591
    I think the system should be

1. XP to upgrade traits
    2. Class tokens to promote

Class tokens are too rare to find both individual traits and class promotions

Not even 1000 radios could be enough to upgrade a survivor to max if a bit of chance went afoul

@oldgoth @Teeceezy
    fistonltd
  • shabbashabba Member Posts: 452
    But now at least it is possible, where before you had to call one!
    LadyAquilaggbats
    Excellent write up OneLessTitan. Thank you!
    LadyAquilaDale
  • TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,032
    @Teeceezy can we give @OneLessTitan some sort of forum price? Awesome work.
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
    masmith93Dale
  • Rick_ZKRick_ZK Member Posts: 296
    Impressive work @OneLessTitan
    IGN : Rick. Officer in the Cure Family. Number One in Sweden & currently 22 globally.
    Dale
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067

@Teeceezy can we give @OneLessTitan some sort of forum price? Awesome work.

I just read “forum prince“... :p

Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    MrsScattercushionTheLostOnes
  • OneLessTitanOneLessTitan Member Posts: 1,273
    Thanks for the kind words all. I set the site up to keep me sane so I can easily track information and have it in an easily viewable place so it's not scattered all around the forum where it's hard to track down.

I will gladly accept Level 19 Legendary Gear for my ranged weapon survivors!! In lieu of that, I'd be very happy if @OldGoth or @Teeceezy could give us a breakdown of what Defensive Stance Trait does. I know people have stated what they think it does, but I'd love some clarifications or exactitudes from the staff!!

If I'm a forum prince, I hope I never ascend to forum King...we know what happens to Kings that were once Princes...

DLichMizTyLadyAquila
  • MikemikemikemikeMikemikemikemike Member Posts: 2
    I hope NG reads what you've put together @OneLessTitan because what you've got there validates alot of peoples frustration. I'm on the epic-legendary route so I feel I'm at a stand still UNLESS I spend my money ON phones which 800 gold and 30 phones for $49.99 is a bit ridiculous to me. I get they have to make some type of profit but this is a little shady to me.
    Invader
  • OldGothOldGoth Member Posts: 297
    We don't really expect most of you to level up a survivor all the way from common to Legendary and beyond. The option is there - I know I would've loved the chance to keep some of my early game survivors - but that's a really long term objective, if you want to go that way. It is no accident that it takes a lot of time. It should; your survivors are your "long arcs" of the game, they're the thing you keep working on. We don't want you to run out of things to work on.

It's still a good idea to pull on the 15 call option and look for an Epic or Legendary of the class you want, with the traits you want. If you luck out on the Epic/Legendary pulls or already have those guys, well, that's a lot less grinding for phones, compared to starting with a suitable Common to Rare guy and taking them all the way to Legendary.
    MizTyOneLessTitantheRealBenderLadyAquila
    So, it looks like @Teeceezy updated the New Trait Announcement, stating that Defensive Stance is what Vigilant was described as. Can you please verify that Defensive Stance increases the damage done by Overwatch? and not that it reduces the damage that your Survivor Takes when attacked in overwatch, as some other users have been saying? Also, any information on how the math is calculated would be Aces.

Thanks @Teeceezy & @OldGoth for all the help.

@Mikemikemikemike -- My goal is not to validate any ones feelings about anything game related, just trying to post accurate information!
    Japes87Mikemikemikemike
    edited June 2016
    OldGoth said:

We don't really expect most of you to level up a survivor all the way from common to Legendary and beyond. The option is there - I know I would've loved the chance to keep some of my early game survivors - but that's a really long term objective, if you want to go that way. It is no accident that it takes a lot of time. It should; your survivors are your "long arcs" of the game, they're the thing you keep working on. We don't want you to run out of things to work on.

It's still a good idea to pull on the 15 call option and look for an Epic or Legendary of the class you want, with the traits you want. If you luck out on the Epic/Legendary pulls or already have those guys, well, that's a lot less grinding for phones, compared to starting with a suitable Common to Rare guy and taking them all the way to Legendary.

+1

I haven't explicitly stated it on the site yet, but it's a much better short-term strategy to try to upgrade your previous Epic Survivors to Legendary (480 tokens), or new Epic Survivors (600 Tokens). For 480 or 600 tokens, you can get a previously Epic Survivor 5 Traits of Level 4. (Yes, I'm aware the our previous Epics had one Level 5 equivalent trait)

Fully maxing out a Legendary is a very long term goal or for those with extremely deep pockets.
This discussion has been closed.